• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

At the risk of sounding stupid, how do you get the large square and 1x2 rectangle tiles in the WP10 preview? I keep seeing screens with those layouts but ai can't seem to apply them myself.

Razdek

Banned
WP10 is pretty shitty so far. Janky as hell and the changes to the people hub is just horrible. This platform doesn't seem like it's improving at all.

Ape

Banned
Nilay-Patel-Big-Band-Edited-2.png

I'm dying

José Mourinho;159995611 said:
At the risk of sounding stupid, how do you get the large square and 1x2 rectangle tiles in the WP10 preview? I keep seeing screens with those layouts but ai can't seem to apply them myself.
Those were in the last preview, but aren't in the current one. I think they haven't decided if they put those in later versions or not.

giga

Nilay is a smart dude, but he's always been an immature kid on twitter. Topolsky used to be the same. I don't know what it is about being the boss at the Verge that makes you act a fool publicly.

0wWVq0d.png

Only further proves his vast insecurities.

dLMN8R

Look at it this way:

-Silicon Valley in general is full of egocentric narcissists who think they're the most important people in the world, who generally raise an absurd amount of money for half-baked ideas that will mostly go nowhere, and be laughed at by anyone outside of their little bubble.

-The Verge in general is full of egocentric narcissists who think they're the most important web site in the world, because they think Silicon Valley is the most important city in the world, and that they're the best to report on it.

So obviously the guy in charge of The Verge exudes all the worst traits of both.

NeOak

I know some don't like Gawker, but god damn lol

http://gawker.com/adult-website-editor-throws-twitter-tantrum-over-his-br-1697459743

But this one is the best lol since it includes a response to Gawker's article

http://www.mediaite.com/online/tech-journalist-pissed-that-world-mocked-his-spiky-bracelet/

Full disclosure, I am a woman, and personally, considering how long Patel’s been talking about his jewelry choices, you’d think he’s J.R.R. Tolkien describing The One Ring, or a 15-year-old boy defending his individuality against Society (a.k.a. the target demographic of Hot Topic).

Burn.

dLMN8R

I've found that most of the time when people don't like Gawker, it's when Gawker is pointing out the absurdity of people who consider themselves far more important than they actually are.

joshschw

It fees like The Verge just started up and it was such a cool site. Now it's clickbait fanboy nonsense. Oh, and apparently severely unhinged admins too!

I haven't been there in months, and I used to be several times a day visitor.

dLMN8R

It fees like The Verge just started up and it was such a cool site. Now it's clickbait fanboy nonsense. Oh, and apparently severely unhinged admins too!

I haven't been there in months, and I used to be several times a day visitor.

It seems like Vox Media entitlement.

Same symptoms across The Verge, Polygon, and to a lesser extent (so far) Vox.com.

People think they're the most important people in the world when a super rich media conglomerate gives them a shitload of money to make something pretty. They think their bullshit smells delicious because it's pretty. Their narcissism continues to feed itself as readership grows, so they double-down on their worst traits even though they're mostly just successful because of money-infused flash with little substance.

joshschw

Same symptoms across The Verge, Polygon, and to a lesser extent (so far) Vox.com.

People think they're the most important people in the world when a super rich media conglomerate gives them a shitload of money to make something pretty. They think their bullshit smells delicious because it's pretty. Their narcissism continues to feed itself as readership grows, so they double-down on their worst traits even though they're mostly just successful because of money-infused flash with little substance.

I keep myself fairly isolated to just a handful of websites, so I never noticed the same trends elsewhere, on the same network of sites.

I assume they make more money with their ridiculous clickbait headlines, so I can't say I blame them exactly, but it's so so not for me, nor for anyone else who really cares about this kind of thing.

I stick to Arstechnica, Anandtech (which people are worried about since Anand sold it). I enjoy Paul Thurrott, but he can also be a bit of an ass lol. Winbeta is actual a decent site but it's totally windows focused, which is fine since I find it more positive than a site like Windows Central has become (sadly). Not that I don't read Windows Central, but I roll my eyes, I assure you.

Poor Tom Warren... Guy jumped ship to The Verge just as they started the plummet to absurdity. Loved Tom's site before he jumped.

hwalker84

Not Windows Phone related but maybe one of you can help. I took a ton of video and photo's with my 1020 on my Japan trip. The time was messed up but I fixed it early in the trip. Unfortunately the Date Taken field is still the wrong date. The reason why this is an issue is when I make a Onedrive album it takes the Date Taken field and there are no customization options when making an album. It's incredibly annoying to have a handful of videos totally out of order.

At least vox has Todd VanDerWerff.

I like a lot of their articles, but like The Verge, seems to have steadily gone downhill in average article quality. The best Vox articles are still top-notch

joshschw

Not Windows Phone related but maybe one of you can help. I took a ton of video and photo's with my 1020 on my Japan trip. The time was messed up but I fixed it early in the trip. Unfortunately the Date Taken field is still the wrong date. The reason why this is an issue is when I make a Onedrive album it takes the Date Taken field and there are no customization options when making an album. It's incredibly annoying to have a handful of videos totally out of order.

You can look for a batch editor for file properties if it's a lot of videos. Otherwise you can right click the file in Windows and hit properties and edit it one by one.

hwalker84

You can look for a batch editor for file properties if it's a lot of videos. Otherwise you can right click the file in Windows and hit properties and edit it one by one.
The attribute I'm talking about doesn't show up in windows properties.

edit: figured it out with exiftool

I'm hoping that the final WP10 is actually good... I've held off on even trying it out because of all the crap I've heard about it, and every screenshot just looks like a jank fest. But, those W10 for small tablets SS's look pretty good, IMO. Hopefully they clean up WP10.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I know, I know. I always hate on Rudy or whatever. But his "brand" is so shit. Trying to shoehorn the 6 into every name is so bad. It might work with letters from an established brand or product for a while, but numbers are even worse. Ugh.

Just imagine every Google product with a "g" at the beginning of the name. gCal, gDocs, gFit, gKeep, gGames, gStore. It's stupid and there's a reason Apple dropped the i for most new products.

JimPanzer

First, what do you need? What are you going to use the phone for?

Mostly Youtube, Feeds, Calendar. I think I covered that with the stuff mentioned in the OT. I was looking for some basic, essential stuff that makes the overall experience more enjoyable.
Also looking for some apps which will supplement my japanese studies, there doesn't seem to be an WP app for WaniKani. Does anyone have experiences with the Anki App for WP?

Ape

Banned
I know, I know. I always hate on Rudy or whatever. But his "brand" is so shit. Trying to shoehorn the 6 into every name is so bad. It might work with letters from an established brand or product for a while, but numbers are even worse. Ugh.

Just imagine every Google product with a "g" at the beginning of the name. gCal, gDocs, gFit, gKeep, gGames, gStore. It's stupid and there's a reason Apple dropped the i for most new products.

You don't like peri6cope?

Maybe just 6cope

Top Bottom