• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
I know, I know. I always hate on Rudy or whatever. But his "brand" is so shit. Trying to shoehorn the 6 into every name is so bad. It might work with letters from an established brand or product for a while, but numbers are even worse. Ugh.

Just imagine every Google product with a "g" at the beginning of the name. gCal, gDocs, gFit, gKeep, gGames, gStore. It's stupid and there's a reason Apple dropped the i for most new products.

I agree, 8rot.

I know, I know. I always hate on Rudy or whatever. But his "brand" is so shit. Trying to shoehorn the 6 into every name is so bad. It might work with letters from an established brand or product for a while, but numbers are even worse. Ugh.

Just imagine every Google product with a "g" at the beginning of the name. gCal, gDocs, gFit, gKeep, gGames, gStore. It's stupid and there's a reason Apple dropped the i for most new products.
brot dropping the truth bombs as usual.

Doffen

You don't like peri6cope?

Maybe just 6cope

360NoScope

Also:

The true flagship phone has finally been announced!

Microsoft Lumia 540 Dual SIM

Lumia-540_Dual-SIM_Skype.jpg

Available in glossy layered cyan, orange, white and matte black, the Lumia 540 Dual SIM will start rolling out in early May to the IMEA and APAC regions, and to Italy with an RRP of $149 USD*.

jQULy7V.png

Source.

Nero3000

Mostly Youtube, Feeds, Calendar. I think I covered that with the stuff mentioned in the OT. I was looking for some basic, essential stuff that makes the overall experience more enjoyable.
Also looking for some apps which will supplement my japanese studies, there doesn't seem to be an WP app for WaniKani. Does anyone have experiences with the Anki App for WP?

Package Tracker - syncs with W8
Aeries - best twitter client
MSN Bing apps - weather, news, sport, health
Office Lens
ChessTactics
PDF Reader
VLC

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Lumia range is getting more and more absurd.

At this rate it may reach peak idiocy and create a vortex of dumb that will devour us all before Windows 10's launch.

hadareud

The Translator
The 540 looks like great value.

It does.

They are relentless in throwing low end devices on the market though, surely this makes no sense.

It's the 3rd new 5xx Lumia in 10 months, surely one every 12 months should be enough. They are now selling the 530, 532, 535, 630, 635, 640, 640XL, 430, 435 and now the 540. Who on earth is supposed not to be confused by this mess?

By all means have 3 different low end devices. You can even have a large screen and a normal screen version of one of them. But don't release a new revision of each one every half year and on top of that have 2 or 3 variations of them all with slightly different features. Also, can anyone tell what the difference between the 5xx and 6xx series is supposed to be anymore? Time to streamline.

Or alternatively, release flagship phones every now and then so we can stop taking notice of the low end stuff they're throwing out there on a monthly basis.

Nero3000

It does.

They are relentless in throwing low end devices on the market though, surely this makes no sense.

It's the 3rd new 5xx Lumia in 10 months, surely one every 12 months should be enough. They are now selling the 530, 532, 535, 630, 635, 640, 640XL, 430, 435 and now the 540. Who on earth is supposed not to be confused by this mess?

By all means have 3 different low end devices. You can even have a large screen and a normal screen version of one of them. But don't release a new revision of each one every half year and on top of that have 2 or 3 variations of them all with slightly different features. Also, can anyone tell what the difference between the 5xx and 6xx series is supposed to be anymore? Time to streamline.

Or alternatively, release flagship phones every now and then so we can stop taking notice of the low end stuff they're throwing out there on a monthly basis.

Not all phones are available in all markets.....(you also forgot the dual sim variants)

Also i think they have retired some of those phones.

Nero3000

This is the current range in Spain, a country where Windows Phone has gone from being equal (if not surpassing) iOS to becoming irrelevant. Marvel at the lunacy of it.

All hail Satan.

Oh come on, like the 925 and 520 are still on sale.

Also in peak nokia age, they released tons and tons of midrange devices - i see this as a follow on strategy

giga

This is the current range in Spain, a country where Windows Phone has gone from being equal (if not surpassing) iOS to becoming irrelevant. Marvel at the lunacy of it.

All hail Satan.
This would have never happened if Steve
Ballmer
was still alive.

ana

Ah fuck it.. I'll probably get LG G4 if it has a good camera because MS seems to refuse release anything before Windows 10...

Milchmann

360NoScope

Also:

The true flagship phone has finally been announced!

Microsoft Lumia 540 Dual SIM

http://d3jgkzl5mcxi5w.cloudfront.net/2015/04/Lumia-540_Dual-SIM_Skype.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jQULy7V.png[IMG]

[URL="http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/04/15/microsoft-lumia-540-dual-sim/"]Source.[/URL][/QUOTE]

What's different from the 640?

All hail Satan.

I was thinking about creating a chart with all Lumia phones that are currently being sold, listing all the specs and whatnot.

It should be done by the end of the year.

Pooya

I have 535 which looks exactly like that except it has 540p screen and 5mp rear camera, it's only like 5 months old lol. I can tell you that 540p screen is already pushing the GPU too much and this thing can't cope with 720p video playback well, in fact high bitrates don't play at all, even youtube has issues and can't capture video above 480p (which is same here even with 8mp sensor). I bet pics still look in similar quality, this thing is just too old and weak. 720p screen now will look nicer I'm sure but gonna be slow.

Doffen

I was thinking about creating a chart with all Lumia phones that are currently being sold, listing all the specs and whatnot.

It should be done by the end of the year.

Seems like an impossible task. They will probably add another 10 devices before the year is over.

frontieruk

Got one too!

Having fun with it, Cortana integration seems sketchy though, all other functions work

(1020 on Denim)

Mines connected to my cyanogen modded HTC one as I'm waiting for a hero phone on windows, and as this is a m7 you can see how long I've been waiting, I nearly brought back in on the 930 but I didnt.

I love my Band. Make sure you put a screen protector on, or the bezel will get crazy scratched.

Your telling me I have to FAFF with this zapp cover thingy ??

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Mines connected to my cyanogen modded HTC one as I'm waiting for a hero phone on windows, and as this is a m7 you can see how long I've been waiting, I nearly brought back in on the 930 but I didnt.

Your telling me I have to FAFF with this zapp cover thingy ??

I originally kinda fucked up putting mine on, so I took it off and within a week I had a lot of scratches.

Last night I put a new one on and it looks better now, hid most of the scratches.

Ade

I originally kinda fucked up putting mine on, so I took it off and within a week I had a lot of scratches.

Last night I put a new one on and it looks better now, hid most of the scratches.

Mine looks shit on, Im hoping the bubbles magically vanish (the instructions claim they will), id rather that than scratch it to fuck though

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The other protector I got was the wet application type, much better. Brand is Skinomi.

My Zagg I had to peel off because the giant bubble I had on the screen drove me crazy.

frontieruk

The other protector I got was the wet application type, much better. Brand is Skinomi.

My Zagg I had to peel off because the giant bubble I had on the screen drove me crazy.

Mine had a spray bottle of deionised water provided.

I'll be interested how it holds up against my Garmin Vivofit, and I may see if I can find my flex just to throw that in the mix.

No you were right ms is whoring the brand out, but ms is only copying Samsung with branding and releasing multiple versions of low end devices, as samnsung who is the biggest player in mobile

But Samsung is about to go down, just like Nokia was about to go down back then, when they released 3 phones per month. I guess the upside for Microsoft is that they can't go much lower.

Because you can never have enough low-end trash on the market, here's LG's new try to conquer the Windows Phone market with the LG Bland 2, for Verizon only.

No, they're couldn't be bothered to do a straight old port of the G2 or G3 with Windows Phone. And in case you missed it by looking at the picture, it's an LG phone for Verizon.

frontieruk

Because you can never have enough low-end trash on the market, here's LG's new try to conquer the Windows Phone market with the LG Bland 2 for Verizon only.

No, they're couldn't be bothered to to a straight old port of the G2 or G3 with Windows Phone. And in case you missed it by looking at the picture, it's an LG phone for Verizon.

Is this the most different variations of the same hardware windows phone has seen since its inception?

hadareud

The Translator
By the way, I wish we could go back to the good old days when Facebook notifications didn't work.

I get like ten stupid notifications a day now of Facebook asking me whether I know this our that person and of random people updating their status. What. The. Fuck.

Top Bottom