• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

frontieruk

I can be this platforms John Gruber, if you like.

47339252.jpg

hwalker84

No no no it's not that bad, nothing could ever be that bad!

It's not that far off. 18 billion low end pieces of shit with random specs and model numbers. No high end hardware with nothing in sight. New OS that feels like an even further design language departure then previous updates. No announced standout features that I can recall. Daily apps being dropped. Half baked apps with no updates.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Unrelated: The new Samsung Galaxy S6 is the finest Android phone I've ever tried. Absolutely amazing stuff. Mindblowing display*, screaming fast performance, killer camera and solid build with wireless charging and some other niceties. Even more surprising: TouchWiz doesn't suck for once. It's like, totally fine. That has to be a first. I'm going to wait for the G4, but if Microsoft doesn't release a proper 920 followup, I know which phone I'm getting.

*The Edge display is a total gimmick that serves no fucking purpose, though. Well, other than making it uncomfortable AF to hold and messing with your text input at a princely premium.

hwalker84

Unrelated: The new Samsung Galaxy S6 is the finest Android phone I've ever tried. Absolutely amazing stuff. Mindblowing display*, screaming fast performance, killer camera and solid build with wireless charging and some other niceties. Even more surprising: TouchWiz doesn't suck for once. It's like, totally fine. That has to be a first. I'm going to wait for the G4, but if Microsoft doesn't release a proper 920 followup, I know which phone I'm getting.

*The Edge display is a total gimmick that serves no fucking purpose, though. Well, other than making it uncomfortable AF to hold and messing with your text input at a princely premium.
A coworker just brought me his to setup our company email and some other stuff. Fuck that thing looks and feels amazing.

frontieruk

Holy shit, just tried Spartan for the first time, it really really makes the mobile ie look like the pos it is though text input needs some work, as i can't see what I'm typing. Lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Bombass OLED display.
Qi charging.
Speedy performance.
Amazing camera.
Excellent build quality.

That's all I'm asking from a proper flagship. I don't think it's quite ambitious. Deliver and I will remain loyal.

A flagship Lumia without Glance is no flagship. Simple as that. It would be like removing wireless charging. It's dumb. No Glance is also the reason why the 930 sucks.

hwalker84

Bombass OLED display.
Qi charging.
Speedy performance.
Amazing camera.
Excellent build quality.

That's all I'm asking from a proper flagship. I don't think it's quite ambitious. Deliver and I will remain loyal.

Bombass display
Qi charging
No exclusive bullshit
Top end specs/speedy performance
Amazing camera
Excellent build quality
Glance
Hey Cortana
LTE
MicroSD Card support

Ape

Banned
I just want one with a kick stand and a fold out separately sold keyboard. the kb will naturally sell for $129.99.

Ape

Banned
You just described the Lumia 930.

The 930 doesnt have a micro sd but did it ever get glance? that seems like a pretty basic feature that was missing from the "flagship" phone. my biggest problem with the windows phones out is that every single one has a trade off, you can't buy one with everything. ridiculous.

The 930 doesnt have a micro sd but did it ever get glance? that seems like a pretty basic feature that was missing from the "flagship" phone. my biggest problem with the windows phones out is that every single one has a trade off, you can't buy one with everything. ridiculous.
No, and I really miss glance. In total agreement. Top tier phones should have every feature.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
my biggest problem with the windows phones out is that every single one has a trade off, you can't buy one with everything. ridiculous.

The same is true of every phone ever. The Galaxy S6 doesn't have an SD slot. The iPhone doesn't have enough ram and lacks detail in photos because of its low mp count. The HTC one has a crappy camera.

Also, Glance is a nice to have feature, it's not essential in any way. Don't listen to brot, he's doing just fine without it, or a decent camera, or an SD slot. I like the feature a lot, but when I think of reasons why I should just sell my 930 and get another phone, that's not even a top 5 concern.

kharma45

The same is true of every phone ever. The Galaxy S6 doesn't have an SD slot. The iPhone doesn't have enough ram and lacks detail in photos because of its low mp count. The HTC one has a crappy camera.

Also, Glance is a nice to have feature, it's not essential in any way. Don't listen to brot, he's doing just fine without it, or a decent camera, or an SD slot. I like the feature a lot, but when I think of reasons why I should just sell my 930 and get another phone, that's not even a top 5 concern.

I'm fine with no SD if they offer enough internal storage like the S6 does.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No LTE on ATT
No MicroSD Card support
No Glance

Missing these options is a fail IMO.

He didn't mention any of those in the wish list I quoted (other than lte, which is obviously on the 930, just not compatible with our carrier). The best phones on the market right now (ip6 and s6) lack glance and sd support. Sad but true. I'd obviously prefer both, but can live without either.

I'm fine with no SD if they offer enough internal storage like the S6 does.

My local at&t only has the 32gb available and 128 isn't available anywhere yet. I don't know wtf Samsung was thinking in terms of manufacturing allocation.

Ape

Banned

What's wrong with the Z3? Off the top of my head I can't think of a feature it's missing.

As far as the iPhone goes, having super large internal memory options helps a little but Jesus Christ paying for that sucks. Still, having iOS is better than the other options right now so I'll pay my apple tax with teeth clenched. For now.

hankster

With the word about 8.1 Update 2 being installed on some phones going for W10m I gave it a shot on my lovely new 830. No such luck. Got 10. And not the latest 10 - the old one with the larger tile option and no Sparta(!)n. What the fudge. Then it says my phone is up to date. So I tried it out for a day. I'm back on 8.1 now.

Why can't this be easy? Why can't the Insider app list the choices and let you pick one? Doesn't sound so hard does it? Heavy Sigh....

With all the low tier Lumia devices I hope one of them is branded Surface.

Edit: Looks like they will all be Lumias

also:

quHKpX3.png

ZhkEHzh.png

So a new flagship is finally coming. But we can't be optimistic here, this is the Windows Phone OT after all, right?

I assume Windows Hello will be a big part of this release, maybe with an Intel chip - I just want a fully featured phone as my contract is due for renewal in September.
And maybe, a new naming scheme, as the current one is becoming a clusterfuck with all of those low to mid tier releases.

With the word about 8.1 Update 2 being installed on some phones going for W10m I gave it a shot on my lovely new 830. No such luck. Got 10. And not the latest 10 - the old one with the larger tile option and no Sparta(!)n. What the fudge. Then it says my phone is up to date. So I tried it out for a day. I'm back on 8.1 now.

Why can't this be easy? Why can't the Insider app list the choices and let you pick one? Doesn't sound so hard does it? Heavy Sigh....

If I'm not mistaken, the new build is only available in the Fast ring. Maybe you were in the Slow one?

Tablo

How many more months =_=
Embarrassing, all they needed was a 640 XL with OIS, Snapdragons 415, HAAC microphones, wireless charging. That's all I freaking want.

Top Bottom