• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Huna looks nicer than Cortana.

S1pYwft.jpg

Joe's hair is falling...dem fast updates are hitting him hard :(

Yeah, I noticed that, too. He's trying to hide his receding hairline.

And I don't get the comments about the fast updates. Update 1 is coming out 3 months after 8.1, which is on par with the cycle from 8.0 to 8.0.1. Update 2 for 8.0 took a bit longer (6 months), but Update 3 came out only 3 months after that. Hearing that Update 2 for 8.1 might come out this Holiday sounds actually kinda slow to me. Nothing has changed, as far as I can tell.

MCD

Yeah, I noticed that, too. He's trying to hide his receding hairline.

And I don't get the comments about the fast updates. Update 1 is coming out 3 months after 8.1, which is on par with the cycle from 8.0 to 8.0.1. Update 2 for 8.0 took a bit longer (6 months), but Update 3 came out only 3 months after that. Hearing that Update 2 for 8.1 might come out this Holiday sounds actually kinda slow to me. Nothing has changed, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, it's just perception thing I guess. This is worse for me since I'm still waiting for official 8.1.

steelcity

Neo Member
I've been watching from a far and really want to jump on the WP8.1 train in a few months. Is there an AT&T Hero device coming in October/November? Preferably a 1020 successor with Snapdragon 801/805?

Looks like from the discussion after my post that Microsoft hasn't leaked or announced anymore AT&T devices for 2014? and they may not? Bummer

Lucius86

Banned
Went into the phone store during my lunch to get a replacement sim card and caught my first glimpse of the Lumia 930 - it sure is a nice device, better than I imagined and definitely rivals the HTC One M8 for overall design. It was a bit thicker than I expected.

Jealous of you who have one now. I've been relegated to my girlfriends old Galaxy S3 until my contract is up :-(

I can't believe that I can't rearrange the tracks on my Xbox Music playlist on the web or Android. This is so incredibly dumb. Seriously.

Nero3000

Went into the phone store during my lunch to get a replacement sim card and caught my first glimpse of the Lumia 930 - it sure is a nice device, better than I imagined and definitely rivals the HTC One M8 for overall design. It was a bit thicker than I expected.

Jealous of you who have one now. I've been relegated to my girlfriends old Galaxy S3 until my contract is up :-(

The 930 is thinner than my 925 with its wireless charging case.

Lucius86

Banned
The 930 is thinner than my 925 with its wireless charging case.

Yeah, and thinner than my Lumia 920 before I lost it. However, it feels bigger than the Z2, HTC One M8 and the S5, which is what we should be comparing it to. I may be wrong on this, but that's the perception I had.

Nero3000

Yeah, and thinner than my Lumia 920 before I lost it. However, it feels bigger than the Z2, HTC One M8 and the S5, which is what we should be comparing it to. I may be wrong on this, but that's the perception I had.

Yeah i guess so, a couple of mm does not really matter to me.

PG2G

I'm curious to see how Update 1 affects Xbox Music. I don't see why they would be related unless there were API changes necessary to make that live tile work.

And if that's the case, does that mean WP8.1 users wont see anymore updates until they get Update 1?

I'm curious to see how Update 1 affects Xbox Music. I don't see why they would be related unless there were API changes necessary to make that live tile work.

And if that's the case, does that mean WP8.1 users wont see anymore updates until they get Update 1?

Xbox Music is a store app, but it's a 1st Party store app. WP differentiates between different types of apps. I imagine the team added in some capabilities for custom live tiles for 1st party apps. Or, hopefully, to every app.

JaggedSac

So it sounds like Update 1 will be hitting dev devices somewhat soon. I would imagine before my 1020 gets Cyan. Will Update 1 affect my ability to get Cyan?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GDR1 Official:http://www.wpcentral.com/official-update-1-windows-phone-81-next-week-preview

- Expansion of Cortana to UK and china (Canada, Australia & India can opt in for an english version)
- Can say "Call Cortana" over (in-car) bluetooth to start cortana (for old
stupid
bluetooth systems - i'm lookin at you Audi)
- Live Folders
- enablement of Xbox Music stuff (live tile, performance, more black screens etc.)
- SMS multiple copy/paste
- Store is a live tile
- Apps corner.....
- oooo high voltage charging for S800 phones (25% charge in 12min, 50 in 24, 75 in 42)
- improved IE
- VPN through wifi
- smart covers
- Rumours of GDR2 before the end of the year

The biggest thing here is features in a quicker cadence. Long may it continue.

high voltage charging? need a special charger I guess. What covers 'S800' phones?

smart covers sound interesting too, unless that just turns the lock screen on/off

ElNino

So it sounds like Update 1 will be hitting dev devices somewhat soon. I would imagine before my 1020 gets Cyan. Will Update 1 affect my ability to get Cyan?
This is what I'm wondering too. It sounds like we (should) get Update 1 next week with the Dev Preview, but I doubt I will get Cyan on my 1020 before that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I believe that's 930/1520. Might be another one there

cool, should be getting my 930 next week.

the article about update 1, and the linked article about cortana coming to the UK and China talks about a preview program. Is there a way for the public to get hold of that?

(and Cortana definitely needs an option to use the proper voice. I realise it makes sense to localise it for non-gamers, but plenty of us would want the proper cortana voice)

f0lken

Fcebook chat could return to the message hub, that would be great, I liked having all my messages in one place, now if somhow MS allowed other apps to integrate it (whatsapp please)

Fcebook chat could return to the message hub, that would be great, I liked having all my messages in one place, now if somhow MS allowed other apps to integrate it (whatsapp please)

I really don't understand why other messenger applications can't hook into the messenger hub (or rather app). It would be clearly a distinctive and +1 feature for the platform and yet it hasn't happened for the past 4 years and is still not going to happen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so my brain is stuck and I could do with some help figuring out if I'm painted into a corner or not.

I have two MS accounts. One ancient one with an old ISP email address as the sign-in (which I'm no longer with), which I use for my windows phone account. So it has any apps I've bought and all the synchronisation stuff with it. My XBL account is also linked to this.

The other is the one I use for my office 365 account. This one now has 1TB onedrive space which I use partly for backing up all my photos and documents.

Is there any way to merge the two somehow? Ideally I'd like to be able to access the 1TB onedrive from my phone. I think if I try and swap accounts I have to factory reset and therefore lose all my settings and any apps I've paid for (not many, but enough to be annoying).

Any way around that?

Cortana for Canada, finally.

I am continually surprised that the only Windows Phones available in Canada are the Lumia 520, Lumia 625, and Lumia 1020. They are only available on three carriers (technically two since one is a subsidiary of another) and near impossible to find in stores, except for maybe the 520. Even more embarrassing is that the 1020 is EOL and hard to find. The only place to reliably buy it is unlocked on the Microsoft Store. But good news! The Lumia 635 is coming out "soon"...

It's like Nokia/MS don't even care anymore if they're at like less than 1% user base. A few simple decisions (like making modern hardware available, having US software/features available in Canada, not having the 920 exclusive to Rogers, selling phones unlocked on MS Store, etc) could have made things work out a lot better. I mean Blackberry seems to have more of a presence, and they've done jack shit since early 2013.

I've seen the 520/620?/1020 at Microsoft kiosks, but it's Microsoft so it's pretty obvious they'd carry their own phones. Otherwise the WP presence is pretty much like you said: null. The 520/620? is advertised on occasion but that's it.

I remember reading somewhere only 2% of phones in Canada were WP. Blackberry's taken a lot of hits over the years but they're still a Canadian company and have their business division.

bigmf

Last week, I downgraded my phone to 8.0 when the false alarm came for the Cyan update on the 1020 in Canada. Being stuck back on 8.0 isn't worth it - I can't text worth a damn anymore. I'm going back through the developer's preview updates to 8.1 now because I'd rather wait for cyan than stick with 8.0 any longer.

Warren:
"Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is not getting Facebook msging (like it used to). Microsoft has corrected img mistake"

Xbox Music is a store app, but it's a 1st Party store app. WP differentiates between different types of apps. I imagine the team added in some capabilities for custom live tiles for 1st party apps. Or, hopefully, to every app.

Hopefully it's to every app, and that it carries over to Win 9 when the merging completes *o*

so my brain is stuck and I could do with some help figuring out if I'm painted into a corner or not.

I have two MS accounts. One ancient one with an old ISP email address as the sign-in (which I'm no longer with), which I use for my windows phone account. So it has any apps I've bought and all the synchronisation stuff with it. My XBL account is also linked to this.

The other is the one I use for my office 365 account. This one now has 1TB onedrive space which I use partly for backing up all my photos and documents.

Is there any way to merge the two somehow? Ideally I'd like to be able to access the 1TB onedrive from my phone. I think if I try and swap accounts I have to factory reset and therefore lose all my settings and any apps I've paid for (not many, but enough to be annoying).

Any way around that?
Have you tried contacting Microsoft Support? They might be able to pull some strings for you.
But still, why did you do everything on and old unused account? Especially when Outlook was new and you could get "yourname@outlook.com"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have you tried contacting Microsoft Support? They might be able to pull some strings for you.
But still, why did you do everything on and old unused account? Especially when Outlook was new and you could get "yourname@outlook.com"

I just left it because I was only used as the login ID - I still had my contact email separate. But trying to sign up for the App preview it was insisting to send the registration to that old email. Still, I fixed that part by adding an alias and making it the primary.

Still need to see about merging. I'd be happy enough if I could switch my office sub to my WP account, that would be the least 'noisy' I think.

Ape

Banned
Seeing Joe's hairline thin like that sucks. What happens when he looks like Ballmer? Fuck this I'm jumping ship.

Magni

I really don't understand why other messenger applications can't hook into the messenger hub (or rather app). It would be clearly a distinctive and +1 feature for the platform and yet it hasn't happened for the past 4 years and is still not going to happen.

I don't really care about having all my messages in one place, we had that before and it didn't work (Messenger is better for Facebook messaging than the old Messages ever was).

What I would like though is for better integration in the People Hub, namely on contact pages. I want to be able to open a Messenger/Whatsapp/etc conversation with someone straight from their "contact page" in the People Hub, and for their pinned live tile to be updated with new messages from Messenger/Whatsapp/etc.

Top Bottom