• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I'm not happy about it, but I held my nose for the camera, battery life, and screen. And the stuff like multi-window isn't on stock android yet. On a screen this big, that's a big plus.

I meant that they apparently fixed TouchWiz on the S6, but that interface won't come over to the Note 4. Of course, if you want good battery life, the S6 wouldn't be an option either.

Ape

Banned
For the last couple iterations I think touchwiz isn't too bad imo. The reputation is worse than the actual experience from my time on it.

clav

Not in my case. And I say it as a long time TouchWiz hater.

It's as fast as stock Android and very streamlined. Samsung actually fixed it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-review-its-whats-on-the-outside-that-counts/

TouchWiz is still bad. The Flipboard home screen is a laggy hack. Apps hide the status bar for no reason. Things look different for no reason. Your OS looks like TouchWiz, but you'll be using an entire ecosystem of Material Design apps.
Non-removable battery killed my incentive to purchase it.

KageMaru

It doesn't really matter if it's useful. I don't see the point of 3 GB RAM on a phone either. I'm perfectly happy with the 1080p screen in my Nexus 5, too.

But trying to sell a flagship without flagship specs is not going to impress the carriers, or any regular customer. It didn't work with Windows Phone 7 either. And you're not honestly going to believe that Microsoft (or any other manufacturer) would pass down the cost saving to the consumer.

I don't think they'll pass the savings onto consumers but it may allow room in the budget for another feature. I'd much rather take a nice 1080p screen with glance than a QHD screen without.

I also don't think consumers care much about screen resolution. They know if a phone has a nice screen when they look at it, but few know or care why. 1080p still looks great, so it shouldn't be a factor to most consumers.

Check out the screen on a new S6. Releasing a phone that's way late as it is in 2015 should have more than a 1080p screen.

Admittedly I haven't seen the S6 screen but I understand it's gorgeous. I just don't think people are picking up a S6 over say the M9 because of the screen. I imagine brand loyalty/recognition, advertising, and word of mouth play a bigger role.

hwalker84

I don't think they'll pass the savings onto consumers but it may allow room in the budget for another feature. I'd much rather take a nice 1080p screen with glance than a QHD screen without.

I also don't think consumers care much about screen resolution. They know if a phone has a nice screen when they look at it, but few know or care why. 1080p still looks great, so it shouldn't be a factor to most consumers.

Admittedly I haven't seen the S6 screen but I understand it's gorgeous. I just don't think people are picking up a S6 over say the M9 because of the screen. I imagine brand loyalty/recognition, advertising, and word of mouth play a bigger role.

Reviews do play a part. How do you think every single review is going to go if this device doesn't have what's considered Hero phone screen resolution?

stktt

Banned
Reviews do play a part. How do you think every single review is going to go if this device doesn't have what's considered Hero phone screen resolution?

Probably the same way they reacted to the 6's 750p display? It's not like 400dpi is some blurry mess. The 1520 already has a great screen, and a slightly smaller version would only look better.

nubbe

Microsofts stock closed up 10.45%, crazy!

The Clouds saved Amazon too
now buy Snapchat and Instagram

Nu7YDoN.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I have nothing but the highest respect for Ars Technica, but that is not my experience after several weeks using an European SGS6 Edge. TouchWiz is as fast as stock Android in any flagship phone if not more and the only thing that ever lags is Flipboard, since well, Flipboard.

Complains about the lack of visual coherence with Google's material design are overblown. The latest version of TouchWiz is very, very flat and plain compared to previous iterations (seriously, lots of redundant garbage went out of the window) and merges really well with Google's visual style. It is not the same as stock Android, yeah, but go get a Motorola if that irks you so much. Right now there's not a better third party UI out there as far as I'm concerned. As for the whole "you'll be using an entire ecosystem of Material Design apps"... it is not like Google's apps (let alone other apps) are the most coherent out there in terms of visual design.

Ars Technica is terrific, but the reviewer sounds like someone who's just preset to hate TouchWiz's guts. Which I understand, but that's a little bit unfair. I find Anandtech's review much more even.

Nero3000

I do wonder if they are far more advanced than what they are letting on and what we will see at build will be many steps ahead, putting a July e a possibility and a 940 announced at build.

That or ifa is when we will see the 940.

I have nothing but the highest respect for Ars Technica, but that is not my experience after several weeks using an European SGS6 Edge. TouchWiz is as fast as stock Android in any flagship phone if not more and the only thing that ever lags is Flipboard, since well, Flipboard.

Complains about the lack of visual coherence with Google's material design are overblown. The latest version of TouchWiz is very, very flat and plain compared to previous iterations (seriously, lots of redundant garbage went out of the window) and merges really well with Google's visual style. It is not the same as stock Android, yeah, but go get a Motorola if that irks you so much. Right now there's not a better third party UI out there as far as I'm concerned. As for the whole "you'll be using an entire ecosystem of Material Design apps"... it is not like Google's apps (let alone other apps) are the most coherent out there in terms of visual design.

Ars Technica is terrific, but the reviewer sounds like someone who's just preset to hate TouchWiz's guts. Which I understand, but that's a little bit unfair. I find Anandtech's review much more even.
Ron Amadeo loves stock. Check his history of reporting on Ars Technica and Android Police before that.

joshschw

What a mess.

I just had to close the windows central article comments on their article.... the majority of people seem to love it.

Now I know why my beautiful platform has continued to become a mess of design. I'll take the less apps, ill take the 2% market share, anything besides that disaster of 4 columns please.

You laughed at me, when I complained about the removal of the gutter.
You laughed, when I cried about the third column.

Now I'm the one who gets to laugh.

Top Bottom