• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

Doubt it's gonna best out 1020 but my 1020 battery is dying so I am desperate for any flagship.

God help the fellow Americans here if this another carrier bullshit.
The 1020 very well could still have the highest res camera and more detail/zooming... but I'd by lying if I didn't say I want a faster camera with more of the Denim features. I'd be willing the "settle" for 25 MP if it means I get a much better phone overall with more advanced camera software/firmware.

in case you all were unaware: 10052 now available for phones

•Flight mode can now be enabled.
•You can now disable data connections.
•We fixed the bug in which your phone’s MMS settings were lost after upgrading from Build 9941.
•We fixed the issue in which you couldn’t download keyboards for additional languages.
•We fixed the issue where the viewfinder in the Camera app gets composed incorrectly on some devices like the Lumia 1020.

"AdDuplex has finally caught sight of a new Lumia flagship in the wild. The RM-1085 is a 5.7-inch 1080p device running Windows 10 Mobile. Be still, my heart."

1080p phablet? Lets hope that's their mid-range phablet.

hwalker84

The 1020 very well could still have the highest res camera and more detail/zooming... but I'd by lying if I didn't say I want a faster camera with more of the Denim features. I'd be willing the "settle" for 25 MP if it means I get a much better phone overall with more advanced camera software/firmware.

http://www.windowscentral.com/hands-windows-10-phone-build-12544-reveals-transparency-controls

Lumia Camera 5.5

Evidently, Microsoft has a Lumia Camera 5.5 in the works, a significant bump from the current 5.0 version. Devices like the Lumia 1020 can evidently get the super-quick camera launching found on the Lumia 830, Lumia 930 and Lumia 1520. This app is a rather big deal.

Unfortunately, Rich Capture was not revealed to be in this build. This feature, however, is likely a limitation of the Lumia 1020's hardware, something that Microsoft has always maintained as not being possible (due to the need for quad-core processors for background processing).
OMG I needed that when I was in Japan.

Magni

What would make sense is if the 940 has a 20-25mp cam while the 940XL has a 40-50mp cam.

Why would that make sense? Why should you need a phablet to get the high MP count?

Ideally, they would have 3 mid range phones and 3 high end phones where the only big difference is the screen size (4, 5, and 6 inches?), along with a bunch of low endphones to scrape the end of the barrel.

If they were to make a 1020 successor, I think it'd make more sense for it to be 5" rather than a 6".

KageMaru

"AdDuplex has finally caught sight of a new Lumia flagship in the wild. The RM-1085 is a 5.7-inch 1080p device running Windows 10 Mobile. Be still, my heart."

1080p phablet? Lets hope that's their mid-range phablet.

Do we really need more than 1080p? Comparing the Note 3 to the Note 4 side by side and I just don't see a huge jump in image quality. There's practically no difference when looked at from normal viewing distance. QHD may sound nice on paper or for marketing purposes but it's an unnecessary additional cost IMO.

Doffen

1 week until Build. Can't wait to hear about all those Windows 10 mobile features that's actually apps already available on iOS.

Magni

Coming supposedly. I have no worries with WhatsApp, they have shown commitment to the platform with dramatic improvements to their app.

In the mean time you can use the phone part of your smartphone

Or Skype.

WhatsApp has been the best messaging app by far for me on WP, but there are so many easy improvements they could make. Why can't I see them in the Share menu? :(

It seems like the app popularity peaked with Windows Phone 8.1.
500px just abandoned their Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone app.

"As the 500px community grows, we're faced with the ongoing challenge of reevaluating our product lineup. This ensures our team can focus on the products that will enable and reward visual creativity for the most people at the highest standards of quality."

"With that in mind, I'm writing to share that our Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Google Chrome OS applications will be discontinued at the end of April. Members using these devices are encouraged to use our website at 500px.com."

On the same level as Chrome OS. Ouch.

E: And because I liked your Thread OST posts, here's my suggestion.
Because Windows 10 is around the corner and things can only get better:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1HCQcSHW0

Do we really need more than 1080p? Comparing the Note 3 to the Note 4 side by side and I just don't see a huge jump in image quality. There's practically no difference when looked at from normal viewing distance. QHD may sound nice on paper or for marketing purposes but it's an unnecessary additional cost IMO.

It doesn't really matter if it's useful. I don't see the point of 3 GB RAM on a phone either. I'm perfectly happy with the 1080p screen in my Nexus 5, too.

But trying to sell a flagship without flagship specs is not going to impress the carriers, or any regular customer. It didn't work with Windows Phone 7 either. And you're not honestly going to believe that Microsoft (or any other manufacturer) would pass down the cost saving to the consumer.

WP the same level as Chrome OS, yes. Windows 8.1 desktop on the same level as Chrome OS, that's ridiculous.

If universal apps for Windows 10 are coming then Microsoft needs to be more vocal because they're losing mindshare now with their fans.

hadareud

The Translator
The new leaked build looks to perform much better.

Looks nice and responsive, smooth and fast.

That is making me hopeful that a summer release isn't completely impossible. Still very rough from a UX perspective, but that should be the last thing to focus on anyway.

hwalker84

Check out the screen on a new S6. Releasing a phone that's way late as it is in 2015 should have more than a 1080p screen.

joshschw

Check out the screen on a new S6. Releasing a phone that's way late as it is in 2015 should have more than a 1080p screen.

Disagree. I'll take my 2-3 day battery life on my 1520 over some ridiculous extra pixels, and that's on a much larger screen than an S6.

Now granted, I'd take an AMOLED screen on my 1520 any day of the week, but the pixel count is irrelevant.

joshschw

heh heh heh. Did it give an error code?

I actually can't boot it up period, but it says something regarding the boot sequence but it's... blurred (not really, but font looks corrupted so I can't read it). I am at work now, maybe I'll take a photo of it later for you guys.

joshschw

heh heh heh. Did it give an error code?

WZsjjcN.jpg

It actually installed, seemingly, correctly, and let me use the OS but it was reallllly slow, even slower than the 10051 release - so I rebooted.

I think the super slow speeds on my 820 might be a hardware issue.

It actually installed, seemingly, correctly, and let me use the OS but it was reallllly slow, even slower than the 10051 release - so I rebooted.

I think the super slow speeds on my 820 might be a hardware issue.
Simply for my own edification:
  • You updated your device
  • It booted to the start screen
  • Perf was bad
  • You decide to reboot
  • Blue screen!

I've got a small range of issues that may be what happened, one of which was under my old purview. Likely a team here feels pretty shitty. That's not a good experience, and you should never have this happen, beta or not.

For such a controlled platform, that blue screen just isn't acceptable :(.

Could be an issue with older software. My 920 was updated last night and worked fine but many apps like Amazon had issues so I cant use it unfortunately.

Too scared to install it in my 830.

joshschw

Simply for my own edification:
  • You updated your device
  • It booted to the start screen
  • Perf was bad
  • You decide to reboot
  • Blue screen!

I've got a small range of issues that may be what happened, one of which was under my old purview. Likely a team here feels pretty shitty. That's not a good experience, and you should never have this happen, beta or not.

For such a controlled platform, that blue screen just isn't acceptable :(.

Correct and it was updated from 10051. But like I said this may be hardware t fault as well. Its my moms old 820 which she said would freeze up sometimes and be slow.

maeh2k

500px just abandoned their Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone app.

Goes to show how futile Microsoft's efforts in mobile are. Hundreds of millions of Windows 8 users and virtually no one gives a fuck about apps. That's not magically going to change with Windows 10. They'll have unified apps across three irrelevant app platforms.

hadareud

The Translator
In which way, though?

I bought podcast lounge and haven't used it since the official app came out. I mean, it's buggy and a bit slow and weird, but what else than play the podcast and have automatic download settings do you need in a podcast app.

Am I just an ignorant cunt?

kharma45

In which way, though?

I bought podcast lounge and haven't used it since the official app came out. I mean, it's buggy and a bit slow and weird, but what else than play the podcast and have automatic download settings do you need in a podcast app.

Am I just an ignorant cunt?

It won't be buggy and slow and weird like the official app. It also has cross platform syncing which is nice if you're using it on other devices or on the web.

The in-built podcast app I've found to be poor, not just for the performance issues you've mentioned but handy features like auto-clean ups.

Top Bottom