• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Looks nice, but what does it offer the Podcast Lounge might not?

I only have 2-3 podcasts that I every really listen to and Podcast Lounge works well to automatically download them at night for me.

Like I said, the biggest appeal is probably the cross-platform sync capability. It's available on iOS, Android, the web and soon on Windows. As someone who listens to podcasts on multiple devices, a service like this is really neat.

But to me it's just the fact that it looks really, really good. I could never stand how incredibly bad podcast apps look, especially on Windows Phone. I'm weird like that, as I've proven multiple times already.

The biggest downside is that it's a very premium experience, if you want it all. The iOS app is 4.99, Android 3.99 and the web player is $9 (one time free, no sub, 14 day trial). No cross-buy either. You don't need all of them and I'm sure it's too much "just" for podcasts.

But it's so pretty and polished.
http://blog.shiftyjelly.com/2015/03/05/its-finally-here/

I want more colorful apps interface on WP, like this Android material design.

7zez7yA.jpg

dLMN8R

So are there actually any competent podcast apps out now which support variable speed playback? I keep trying new ones and they all lack it.

Bonus points if it allows for variable speed playback on video podcasts too.

Anyone else excited for a Windows Phone flagship now? You don't want that

So are there actually any competent podcast apps out now which support variable speed playback? I keep trying new ones and they all lack it.

Bonus points if it allows for variable speed playback on video podcasts too.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with variable speed playback on podcasts.

dLMN8R

Listen to a podcast at 1.5 or 2x speed without affecting pitch. iOS has supported it since pretty much the beginning, so I listen to podcasts on my iPod Touch right now. Especially on news-driven podcasts this is a godsend. Just as listenable as ever, but I can listen to twice as many episodes in the same amount of time.

Anyone else excited for a Windows Phone flagship now? You don't want that

Oh FFS, we just have terrible luck. Always get the previous years CPU... and when it looks like we might actually get a top of the line, this happens. We finally get confirmation of a new flagship and then it comes out that the top of the line CPUs is worse than previous models due to wanting to just throw a product on the market to catch up to apple.

That said, the article mentioned a battery hit, I wonder how much it actually is

I should get a 930.
I wish I could get a 930 (Damn you Robellus!)

hwalker84

I have faith in the Surface team to make the Snapdragon 810 work. I'm not sure I have the same faith in ex-Nokia. I would say Intel please save us be Sophia looks entry level.

Lichter

Cool, never played it (but I liked the others).

Where is the Xbox label though? Please ID@Xbox, you have to restructure this.

For real, that's messed up. You are the one who are making videogames and Gamecenter (and the gaming service on Android, I forgot its name) have a better integration than Xbox on WP...

Doffen

Cool, never played it (but I liked the others).

Where is the Xbox label though? Please ID@Xbox, you have to restructure this.

For real, that's messed up. You are the one who are making videogames and Gamecenter (and the gaming service on Android, I forgot its name) have a better integration than Xbox on WP...

It's quite sad that a third party publisher is becoming more efficient with publishing Xbox enabled games than Microsoft.

Gametroopers got two games out there already with another 4 just around the corner.

Milchjon

Microsoft sold 8.6 million Lumia devices in the most recent quarter, and the company says that’s an 18 percent increase over the prior year.

also

It's the third quarter of Surface Pro 3 sales, and things don't appear to be slowing down. Surface-related revenue ($713 million) has increased by 44 percent from the same period last year.

Quick knee jerk reactions to the quarterly results.

Surface revenue up, dat accessory margins
Xbox is dying, selling less of everything than last year (serves them right for offering nothing compelling in the first half of the year)
They keep selling more Lumia phones for 0 dollar
Windows is going down, down, down

Cloud to the rescue!

nubbe

Office365 + Onedrive Unlimited is the best thing Microsoft has going at the moment

Azure and Visual Studio will be all that's left of Microsoft if the trend continues

$21 billion quarterly revenue -> Death is near.

Welcome to WPGAF

While I don't think Microsoft is near death, but Brot has a point, the downward spiral of Windows licensing is really tell tale sign. Let hope all their other ventures can quickly replace the lost in revenue from licensing of Windows.

Lumia sale look OK until you see the profit margin, Xbox is pretty terrible consider all the momentum they have at the end of last year.

nubbe

Microsoft got rid of Ballmer in time
They have done all the right moves and tried to salvage the disaters

Nadella is the right person for this industry transition

T-mobile will sell the 940 for $89. That's a damn good price and will probably hit $60 sale prices in a matter of weeks. Will the 940XL be priced around $130?

Listen to a podcast at 1.5 or 2x speed without affecting pitch. iOS has supported it since pretty much the beginning, so I listen to podcasts on my iPod Touch right now. Especially on news-driven podcasts this is a godsend. Just as listenable as ever, but I can listen to twice as many episodes in the same amount of time.

I see. I've asked the developers and Pocket Casts definitely does that ("of course, no one likes chipmunks!") and if you have an Android device, you can try Podcast Addict (free app, using it right now). It does that as well, I think.

ElNino

Like I said, the biggest appeal is probably the cross-platform sync capability. It's available on iOS, Android, the web and soon on Windows. As someone who listens to podcasts on multiple devices, a service like this is really neat.

But to me it's just the fact that it looks really, really good. I could never stand how incredibly bad podcast apps look, especially on Windows Phone. I'm weird like that, as I've proven multiple times already.

The biggest downside is that it's a very premium experience, if you want it all. The iOS app is 4.99, Android 3.99 and the web player is $9 (one time free, no sub, 14 day trial). No cross-buy either. You don't need all of them and I'm sure it's too much "just" for podcasts.

But it's so pretty and polished.
http://blog.shiftyjelly.com/2015/03/05/its-finally-here/
Cool, I'll give it a shot when it's released.

The cross-platform aspect doesn't matter to me as I only listen on my phone, but I like apps that look good and function well so I might as well give them a few dollars to try it out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Bought a note 4. I'll keep an eye out for the next lumia, but I'm bowing out of the platform for now. I've had a windows phone continuously since wp7, so it's kinda sad, but the app situation finally got too bad for me. I'll still post here just like the other former wp users who no longer own the phone.

Bought a note 4. I'll keep an eye out for the next lumia, but I'm bowing out of the platform for now. I've had a windows phone continuously since wp7, so it's kinda sad, but the app situation finally got too bad for me. I'll still post here just like the other former wp users who no longer own the phone.

and right before //build!

Doffen

and right before //build!

It's not like everything is going to change during Build. And if MS announces a legit flagship device it will probably not be available until late November.

I also expect the majority of software from Microsoft to be released on other platforms.

Props to you for buying a Samsung before they fixed TouchWiz.

Top Bottom