• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MarkusRJR

Oh wow the new OneDrive icon (on android and probably elsewhere) is atrocious. Reminds me of the ugly iconset from the Windows 10 (desktop).

Paganmoon

Question is if they're going to wait for Skylake before they start producing Surface 4's, or well... I'm pretty sure they are, so we'll probably not see anything the coming months from Surface.

I mean, what's the point of releasing a new one on Broadwell-Y or U before/during summer, if Skylake is coming anyway.

hadareud

The Translator
I doubt it. Chances of Surface Pro 4 are much better than a flaghip phone announcement during build.

Neither are likely, not an event to announce new hardware, especially hardware that is several months away from coming out.

Wikipedia said:
The Nokia Lumia 930 is a smartphone developed by Nokia that runs Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 operating system. It was announced on April 2, 2014 at Microsoft Build 2014 and is scheduled to be released in June 2014.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_Lumia_930

hadareud

The Translator
I thought the consensus was that the 930 wasnt a flagship? (not that i agree).

That was only 6rot's consensus. Much as I love him, he's wrong, it was obviously last year's flagship.

Question is, would/should MS release a W10 flagship that ships with 8.1?

I don't think so.

I think what would be interesting though is the question whether they should release it with an unfinished/preview version of W10 that gets updated on a monthly basis if (as seems likely) W10 for phones will not be finished this summer.

I think as long as performance is good that wouldn't be the worst idea.

hadareud

The Translator
Don't look at it as a delay. Consider it as them taking extra time and care to make it as good as possible for your regional needs.

Hey, anyone know who's doing the build thread this year? I wouldn't mind picking it up again, but I wanted to check and make sure no one else was doing it before I started on a write up

hadareud

The Translator
Nextgen Developers said:
"We definitely believe that adding hamburger control to the sdk will eventually turn out to be a massive gain for Windows app store, as tons of developers want to aesthetically match their apps on all platforms (consider shopping and banking apps across platforms and so on)."

http://www.windowscentral.com/nextg...-windows-10?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

JdYdQSx.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Myerson will also focus on what might become the biggest news of the day: Microsoft eyeing Android apps for Windows 10. While the software maker has been investigating many methods of bringing Android apps to Windows, it has found a solution. Myerson will unveil a series of ways Microsoft is making it easier for developers to bring their code to Windows universal apps from Android, iOS, or elsewhere. Part of that will include better tools for developers and new ways to closely map the functions of Android to Windows so it’s easier for developers to port their apps with small changes. It might not be the ideal solution, but it could be enough to convince Android developers to list their apps in the Windows Store without a lot of effort.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/27/8503035/microsoft-build-2015-developer-conference-preview

Told ya.

Ape

Banned

honestly what else can MS do. No one wants to dev for the platform, and without apps wp 10 will be doa.

the other side of it is obviously, why develop for windows

damned if you do damned if you don't so might as well turn it into an android skin at this point right

hadareud

The Translator
honestly what else can MS do. No one wants to dev for the platform, and without apps wp 10 will be doa.

the other side of it is obviously, why develop for windows

damned if you do damned if you don't so might as well turn it into an android skin at this point right

No, I mean it's the exact right thing to do. They should have done that a while ago, but I guess with W10 and Universal Apps now is as good a time as any.

They have to make a final major push for developers and they have to make it as easy as possible to port their stuff over.

When I say final push I mean it. It's now or never.

It also has nothing to do with MS going Android. I don't see the connection.

Doffen

Games? On my Windows Phone?

Surely you jest, kind sir.

They will probably surpass Microsoft ltd releases eventually.

Just look at the list:

Available:
Overkill 3
Make it Rain: The Love of Money
Tiny Troopers

Announced:
Abyss
Monster Go!
What In the World?
Price of Fame

Top Bottom