• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
When ever I make or get a call the mute icon is pushed and I can barely hear anything. I try to push it but it stays pushed. It is driving me nuts.

Never heard of that issue before. Which device are you using. Did you try restarting the phone?

btw guys BBM beta is now available for public, if anyone interested.

Never heard of that issue before. Which device are you using. Did you try restarting the phone?

btw guys BBM beta is now available for public, if anyone interested.

I have a 928 running 8.1. I turned the phone off and on and that didn't fix it. I guess I will have to do a full reset but that sucks cause it takes forever to reinstall everything.

derFeef

Bt4yzyBIQAAHAY2.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/494888875178070016

Nero3000

Looks like IE is just transmitting Safari user agent string (plus adopting non-standard features).

Only think left is http live streaming support built in.

nU7hbu5.jpg

Looks like IE is just transmitting Safari user agent string (plus adopting non-standard features).

Only think left is http live streaming support built in.

nU7hbu5.jpg

And webm support would be nice. But that's not even on the IE's team agenda for the full browser, let alone the mobile version.

JaggedSac

Windows Phone 8.1 Update includes hundreds of Internet Explorer 11 enhancements that greatly increase compatibility with the mobile web:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/07/31/the-mobile-web-should-just-work-for-everyone.aspx

So, the Version registry key lies. But why?

The Version key has lied since IE10 because there’s a common and decades-old practice of looking in the registry to retrieve the IE version. Unfortunately, much of the code that does so is inside product installers that refuse to proceed if a minimal target IE version (e.g. 6+) isn’t found. And that crusty old code never imagined there would one day exist a world in which IE’s major version was more than a single digit long. As a consequence, when IE10+ is installed, many products would refuse to install and users would receive bizarre and inaccurate error messages (“Internet Explorer 6 is required. This system only has Internet Explorer 1.”).

After examining the broad scope of the compatibility problem, the team decided to change the registry format such that the “true” IE version would be preceded by a leading “9.” to accommodate buggy version checkers. This approach generally worked well, but will confuse any software, like Test Studio, that was written prior to the version lie being introduced.

This is only one of many version lies.

That is incredible. Must suck to be Windows devs having to deal with this garbage, lol.

JaggedSac

Blame the lazy fucks that do this kind of shit because they can't be bothered to think.

I see my comment could come across in a way I did not mean. I meant, it must suck to be a MS dev working on the Windows team(in regards to dealing with legacy software).

That is incredible. Must suck to be Windows devs having to deal with this garbage, lol.

Maybe if Microsoft had supported Internet Explorer the way they should have from the beginning and not let it rot for literally half a decade, then Web developers would give a shot or two about what they're doing. Maybe.

nillapuddin

Alright Ive sorta lost track of the thread for the past month

My buddy (avid WP'er) is looking for a change, I know that there is always (new phone) on the horizon, but Im checking to see whats actually worth doing for him

He has verizon and has a 928, he works at radioshack so he gets a sweet deal on contract and phone price. So what should his next move be?

Waiting for something worthwhile, or moving to an existing phone?

Nero3000

Alright Ive sorta lost track of the thread for the past month

My buddy (avid WP'er) is looking for a change, I know that there is always (new phone) on the horizon, but Im checking to see whats actually worth doing for him

He has verizon and has a 928, he works at radioshack so he gets a sweet deal on contract and phone price. So what should his next move be?

Waiting for something worthwhile, or moving to an existing phone?

Lumia Icon available now is best choice
HTC One M8 with Windows Phone will be out end of august - another good choice i guess
Rumours of 6" Nokia phablet 1525 coming out soon too.

Broman1978

Any chance for an Official Playstation App on WP?
I have both PS4 and Xbox One and use Smartglass alot for my Xbox so an Official Playstation App would be nice for my PS4=)

I have both PS4 and Xbox One and use Smartglass alot for my Xbox so an Official Playstation App would be nice for my PS4=)

Not until Sony releases a Windows Phone and even then it's not certain. It's been rumored months ago, but nothing came out of it so far.

nillapuddin

Lumia Icon available now is best choice
HTC One M8 with Windows Phone will be out end of august - another good choice i guess
Rumours of 6" Nokia phablet 1525 coming out soon too.

Sweet, thanks I'll pass it along.

Guess I'm kinda thrown off guard that the Icon is still the best new choice, it just doesn't strike me as cool or as exciting like the 1020 did

Edit: Also, is there an app that revolves the home screen background? I love that the beta lock screen app rotates, but now I seriously want my home screen to do the same.

strata8

So my Lumia 625 crashed (for the 20th+ time in the few months I've owned it) and now it won't launch apps.

Searching around it looks like the OS got corrupted and I'll have to do a hard reset.

Just... what? My Omnia 7 with WP7 was rock-solid but I've had nothing but problems with WP8 on the Lumia. And this... it's a bit of a joke tbh. But maybe stuff like this is par for the course on Android as well.

KageMaru

I've been wondering the same thing but it appears that it's not coming anytime soon. =(

We also have some news that might be of interest to Windows Phone fans who own a PlayStation console and not an Xbox one. Apparently Sony does not have any plans to launch a Windows Phone version of the PlayStation app.

The information has been confirmed on Reddit by a verified Sony employee, who says that Sony has a huge backlog of features that it wants to put inside the Android/iOS application, which is why it doesn’t have time for the Windows Phone version: “priority goes to features that make us money.”

http://m.softpedia.com/playstation-...ows-phone-version-not-coming-soon-452939.html

Sweet, thanks I'll pass it along.

Guess I'm kinda thrown off guard that the Icon is still the best new choice, it just doesn't strike me as cool or as exciting like the 1020 did

Edit: Also, is there an app that revolves the home screen background? I love that the beta lock screen app rotates, but now I seriously want my home screen to do the same.

The Icon is great. It's true that it's not as evolutionary as the 920 was, but phones had more room for improvement back then IMO. Still amazing screen, camera, and performance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my Lumia 625 crashed (for the 20th+ time in the few months I've owned it) and now it won't launch apps.

Searching around it looks like the OS got corrupted and I'll have to do a hard reset.

Just... what? My Omnia 7 with WP7 was rock-solid but I've had nothing but problems with WP8 on the Lumia. And this... it's a bit of a joke tbh. But maybe stuff like this is par for the course on Android as well.

You got a lemon. It happens. You should've swapped it when you first started getting the crashing.

nillapuddin

The Icon is great. It's true that it's not as evolutionary as the 920 was, but phones had more room for improvement back then IMO. Still amazing screen, camera, and performance.

Good to know, I passed it along and my buddy sends his regards. He will be making the switch pretty soon, seems to be a pretty big (performance) upgrade from a 928

I cant imagine leaving my 1020 ever, the style of it alone is just so undeniably top of the line. Everyone who sees my phone for the first time is enamored with the sleek design and how amazing the photos are. Those unibody designs are GOAT

So I just realized that the 1520 is a nano-SIM phone and the 920 is micro-SIM. If I just go into AT&T, they give me a nano-SIM car, right?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I just realized that the 1520 is a nano-SIM phone and the 920 is micro-SIM. If I just go into AT&T, they give me a nano-SIM car, right?

Ya of course. Even iPhone 5 has Nano I believe. I am rocking 1520 here in Canada with Bell btw

I need help choosing a better data plan to save a little money.

T-Mo USA, currently have the unlimited nationwide 4G data plan, but I see I can drop that and go with the free 1 gig with 4G LTE plan, it seems.

Checking my data sense, I used about 6 gigs on wifi, and 0.89 gigs on cellular. Looking at my past trends, I've only had one month this year where I actually exceeded a gig on cellular.

My main hesitation though, is I don't want to have slow ass speed when I use my data, will dropping the unlimited nationwide 4G interfere with my normal browsing?

I enabled the setting to compress webpages to conserve data mainly to increase load speeds, but I'm feeling pretty dumb in regards to this data stuff (even after a year and a half of having smartphones).

Same guidance, please.

Sony had a not so good quarter and their smartphone business is less stellar than expected.

"To keep the business profitable, Sony plans to cut costs by streamlining its smartphone lineup and slowing the pace of product introductions, Mr. Yoshida said. He added that Sony isn't considering an exit from smartphones, but it will be more selective in terms of the countries it targets and its models."

And with that, I suspect that the rumored Windows Phone died.

Cyan isn't even out on Country variants of 1020 yet...

Brot: Why was the OT changed btw?

I fucked up big time. It's being updated at this moment. The gears are spinning!

Valkyria

Banned
Hi everyone. I bought a Lumia 630 two weeks ago and I can say I´m really happy with it. Here in Spain they have been running lots of ads on TV about the new models and it was the last push to change my old Nokia e71 for something new, and completely disliking android, WP was the natural choice.

My best friend has had WP since WP 7 so I was familiar with the system, but 8.1 is way better that what it was before. I got my phone for 139€ plus an external battery, so anyone on the fence and who does not want to spend hundreds of euros on a phone should check it out. It is really smooth and the apps works flawlessly. The camera is Ok, could be better, but is useful enough.

So uh...how do I share a GIF or get the image link without it turning into a static image?

If I long press the image, clicking Share image and then selecting messaging or mail just turns it into a static image.

I do this often on my other phones and this is pretty much basic functionality for them :/

edit: Should clarify that this is what happens on sites other than neogaf's mobile page. Here I can tap and image and a new tab opens with the image link in the address bar.

KageMaru

So uh...how do I share a GIF or get the image link without it turning into a static image?

If I long press the image, clicking Share image and then selecting messaging or mail just turns it into a static image.

I do this often on my other phones and this is pretty much basic functionality for them :/

edit: Should clarify that this is what happens on sites other than neogaf's mobile page. Here I can tap and image and a new tab opens with the image link in the address bar.

Expand your options and tap on export link to clipboard in the cinemagraph app. Here is a GIF I made last 4th of July.

http://memories.nokia.com/r/images/4d519130-3349-4c99-8334-567c86832311

Top Bottom