• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

Then why it is still there?

._.

zip-lips.jpg

So that either means the address bar definitely will be at the bottom of the screen (or have the option to do so)...or lastflowers and dLMN8R are involved in a secret coup of dissenting Windows Phone devs/designers.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played around a bit with the latest build. It is coming along slowly. Still super buggy, there are some nice little animations I noticed like the rolling of the contacts photo when checking there profile.

n64coder

Does the recovery tool take forever after it detects your phone? It's giving me the "please wait" screen.

For me, it took awhile to download but there was no lengthy please wait screen.

I couldn't update my phone to get the Denim update so I did the recovery tool. During the phone setup procedure, I can restore my data from backup. Will it stay at 8.1 Update 1 or will I get the Windows Phone Developer Preview 8.1 version that I had formerly?

I'm trying to get the non preview version.

Finally got an MS Band, and I love this thing. I still kinda fat finger it, but it's awesome not having to worry about if I can hear my ringer, or if I can feel the vibrations as I'm walking around. Not to mention all the health stuff.

Razdek

Banned
Our IT department is considering getting Windows Phones in our company and I just have to roll my eyes. We currently offer iPhones and Blackberry so no one it's gonna order/want these.

Our IT department is considering getting Windows Phones in our company and I just have to roll my eyes. We currently offer iPhones and Blackberry so no one it's gonna order/want these.

The only thing wrong with Windows phone is that not enough people have them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In the sense that would mean people would actually make apps for the thing I guess you are right about that being their only problem.

Razdek

Banned
You've got Blackberry, don't know what else people could possibly want.

Yeah I got that this morning as well, not GDR2.

I wouldn't recommend WP to friends so there is no way I'm going to recommend it for my company. I'm not taking the fall if it fails and doesn't work out. Contrary to what you may believe the older people do like Blackberries.

I wouldn't recommend WP to friends so there is no way I'm going to recommend it for my company. I'm not taking the fall if it fails and doesn't work out. Contrary to what you may believe the older people do like Blackberries.

I was joking, we're all aware in this thread of the situation the Windows Phone platform is in.

For a company though, who really needs apps? WP compared to Android it's much more secure and reliable and compared to iPhone it's much much cheaper.

NeOak

Northrop Grumman is replacing their employee Blackberrys with Windows Phones now. HTC Ones.

itshappening.gif
Watch them replace them with 6S's this year

Also, fuck the cursor on WP when writing a post. I hate that it glues to fucking words and when I press backspace it deletes a bunch of text.

For a company though, who really needs apps? WP compared to Android it's much more secure and reliable and compared to iPhone it's much much cheaper.

If that is the case, I would prefer BlackBerrys for the QWERTY.

hadareud

The Translator
We've reached at a point where Brot would be seen as a relentlessly romantic Windows Phone apologist compared to the rest of the thread.

That said, the world probably needs a counterweight to Crackberry where everything is shiiiiiit and doomed to fail. So do carry on.

Razdek

Banned
I've been using WP10 Mobile as my daily driver for about 3 weeks now and even though it's rough I haven't had too many issues with it other than an unresponsive lock screen and random reboots.

If they're able to get things smoothed out and get all the apps running from 8.1 I can see myself using it as my permanent phone but I'm going back to my Nexus 5 until a few more updates come out.

Paganmoon

Since the screen on my 1020 shattered (still works though), I've been using my work phone a lot more (iPhone 4).

A few observations:
The iPhone also seems to drain battery when browsing the web, so I'll no longer complain about that on WP:)
The Lync 2013 app is a lot better on iPhone, starts immediately, haven't lost any messages etc. it's sad that an MS app is better on another platform.
I absolutely hate the keyboard, oh how I miss WP keyboard already.
Also miss my live tiles, and the 1020, even with its larger size sits so much better in my hand, could be that I'm just used to it I suppose.

One thing is for certain, I'm not switching to iOS anytime soon, still eyeing Android though, so MS better announce something soon.

Since the screen on my 1020 shattered (still works though), I've been using my work phone a lot more (iPhone 4).

A few observations:
The iPhone also seems to drain battery when browsing the web, so I'll no longer complain about that on WP:)
The Lync 2013 app is a lot better on iPhone, starts immediately, haven't lost any messages etc. it's sad that an MS app is better on another platform.
I absolutely hate the keyboard, oh how I miss WP keyboard already.
Also miss my live tiles, and the 1020, even with its larger size sits so much better in my hand, could be that I'm just used to it I suppose.

One thing is for certain, I'm not switching to iOS anytime soon, still eyeing Android though, so MS better announce something soon.

Seriously. I use a Nexus 5 primarily and I despise the keyboard. Same thing in iOS. It's just a piece of junk - with slide typing it puts words in there that no one would ever use in conversation and it says it collects data to improve it? Terrible. Windows Phone keyboard is best by a very wide margin in my experience.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think everyone secretly wants MS to buy Blackberry just to see the results of the fanbase interaction.

That and a real keyboard would be swell on any phone.

I think everyone secretly wants MS to buy Blackberry just to see the results of the fanbase interaction.

That and a real keyboard would be swell on any phone.

I still miss my Palm Pre keyboard to this day. Basically the same as a BB keyboard more or less. I wish vertical sliders were still a thing. If Microsoft came out with a vertical slider with decent specs I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

hadareud

The Translator
So after having used this latest build for a week, I have to say that it's running really quite ok, or at least far better than you'd think reading some of the feedback.

Obviously there's bugs and weird things and pretty bad ones too, but overall the experience is not a bad one. For the most part my 1020 runs smoothly, basically.

That's not to say that a massive amount of work isn't still to be done (bug fixing, ironing out the UX inconsistencies/fine tuning the look overall, bringing the apps up to speed and they better implement some new features too), but when you compare the current state to that of the last build it's a pretty big step forward.

Like Van said the other day, there's currently nothing to suggest that W10 on phones contains any must have new features or anything that would make anyone switch platforms. That's the main let down so far. The lack of new, unique features.

That said, I don't see myself moving back to 8.1. The quick reply to texts alone is worth sticking with 10.

MCD

About 2 weeks with the Lumia 640 and I have to admit, it's one awesome phone.

Recommended for anyone looking for something fast, big and future ready.

Just don't make it your primary camera phone. I miss my 1020.

hadareud

The Translator
Just loaded up WP10 on my work Lumia 630 - that was a bad mistake.

When's the next build due?

Probably in a few weeks.

Give it a bit of time with the build. Once the apps update themselves things will settle down. It will take a day or so, but then it runs ok.

Also, don't use the tile background on the start screen. It runs like shit. Full background is ok.

Lucius86

Banned
Well it has been close to 24 hours - screen keeps coming on all the time without a PIN code needing to be inputted, touches are very unresponsive, email live tile isn't working...

Considering all I do with this phone is call and check emails, thought I would be okay with an early build, but this is pretty painful.

Top Bottom