• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

My 640 touch is slow. Anyone have any problem like that? Typing is not as smooth as my 1020 for sure.

Other than, it's cool so far. Still getting used to touch key buttons.

Maybe I am just used to good touch displays. Dunno.

My 640 touch is slow. Anyone have any problem like that? Typing is not as smooth as my 1020 for sure.

Other than, it's cool so far. Still getting used to touch key buttons.

Maybe I am just used to good touch displays. Dunno.

Definitely notice a slight typing delay using my wife's 640 compared to my 930.

Paganmoon

So I've got a big choice to make, get a 630 for 700 SEK (about 85 dollars), to hold me over until new flagships are out. Or say goodbye to WP for the foreseeable future by rebinding my contract and getting a new android-phone from my operator.

Really hard choice tbh :(

I ordered a one+ yesterday something cheap to see me through to hopefully a hero phone for windows

As in a one+ one? Those are 4000 SEK here (500 USD), if I'm going to go with that segment, I might as well get a flagship android and stick with it for a few years.

frontieruk

So I've got a big choice to make, get a 630 for 700 SEK (about 85 dollars), to hold me over until new flagships are out. Or say goodbye to WP for the foreseeable future by rebinding my contract and getting a new android-phone from my operator.

Really hard choice tbh :(

As in a one+ one? Those are 4000 SEK here (500 USD), if I'm going to go with that segment, I might as well get a flagship android and stick with it for a few years.

Grabbed the 64gig for £220 (~$340) compared to an m8 for £300 ($466) you can get the m9 for a similar price but I've no idea why anyone would. And I'd not touch a Samsung with a barge pole

Ok, so I need some advice here, and hope there are enough of you who can help me.

I'm trying to get more fit. I've downloaded a bunch of free exercise apps, but I want a fitness band/watch of some type. I landed on the (obvious) MS Band and the FitBit Charge HR. How many have either or, or have enough test time with either to say which one will work better, especially syncing with my Icon? Is there another option better for a WP user?

frontieruk

Ok, so I need some advice here, and hope there are enough of you who can help me.

I'm trying to get more fit. I've downloaded a bunch of free exercise apps, but I want a fitness band/watch of some type. I landed on the (obvious) MS Band and the FitBit Charge HR. How many have either or, or have enough test time with either to say which one will work better, especially syncing with my Icon? Is there another option better for a WP user?

from the two you are looking at I'd take the Band as the data drill down is more in depth on their website comapred to fitbit imo, but fitbit basically created this market segment so know what users look at I guess.

people complain about the fitting of the band, I've not found mine uncomfortable infact I've found it as easy to forget about as my Flex or my Vivofit but again ymmv. The Fitbit has a proven comfortable fitting and lasts longer on a charge.

What you really need to ask is what you want from your device, as the two devices compete in a different segment of the market, the Band being more akin to the Surge, but again with worse battery life.

dLMN8R

I'm a Microsoft employee so naturally I've never used any fitness product except the Microsoft Band :p

But I do really love it. I've worn it almost every single day since I bought it (at full price with my own money!) when it came out last Fall.

I've had some minor problems with heart rate tracking but overall it works really well. Resting heart rate measurements are always reasonable-looking, and high-intensity tracking always seems to be accurate too. It's only for mild walks / hikes where sometimes it over-measures, but that hasn't happened for a while.

But tracking of runs, hikes, bikes, etc. are all excellent. I love that it has GPS built into it so I don't need to waste my phone's battery on a long run or bike ride (or even take it with me). Sleep tracking is good, but I've mostly stopped using that feature just because it doesn't really give me anything.

One of the best features I've recently discovered though is integration with MyFitnessPal. MyFitnessPal makes it easy to track food intake, and it easily integrates with the Microsoft Health service. So, for example, I might go on a long bike ride and burn 1000+ calories tracking it with my band. Seconds after syncing, that 1000 calorie "budget" shows up in MyFitnessPal.

Only biggish problem is the confort of the Band. Took me a couple weeks to get used to wearing it.

from the two you are looking at I'd take the Band as the data drill down is more in depth on their website comapred to fitbit imo, but fitbit basically created this market segment so know what users look at I guess.

people complain about the fitting of the band, I've not found mine uncomfortable infact I've found it as easy to forget about as my Flex or my Vivofit but again ymmv. The Fitbit has a proven comfortable fitting and lasts longer on a charge.

What you really need to ask is what you want from your device, as the two devices compete in a different segment of the market, the Band being more akin to the Surge, but again with worse battery life.

FWIW, I've found the Band to be more comfortable for wearing all the time. The Fitbit would bother my skin after extended periods of time, and the Band doesn't.

Ok, so the biggest two issues I have that made me take pause on buying the MS Band is the comfort of the strap, and battery life. I guess I can always try one on before buying, or just get used to it. But how has the two day battery life been in everyday use? I've been doing some looking online, and that is always the biggest complaint that I see. If I can reconcile those two issues (mainly the battery life, though), I'll just get the Band.

kharma45

As long as the hardware is solid, I'm more than capable of flashing a stable rom, anything has to be more stable than my m7 on the cm12 nightlies and that's not bothering me

Mine wasn't, and i don't know if he touchscreen is sorted yet in the CM OTAs. It's sorted in the custom ROMs iirc.

Unless you really need it now, I would almost want to wait until fall to see if there will be a V2 out. If you really want it now to help encourage the better exercise habits, then I guess disregard this!

Paganmoon

I already miss my 1020 camera.

I miss my 1020's screen :(

O6E1oGk.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
There seems to have been an update to the outlook app on the phone preview. Looks like that got did of the resuming on the start screen. Makes things instantly much much more useable.

As long as the hardware is solid, I'm more than capable of flashing a stable rom, anything has to be more stable than my m7 on the cm12 nightlies and that's not bothering me

I have it for 6 months now, and it never give me any trouble. Actually I drop it the other day on my hardwood floor and it's dent the corner a bit but it's still working great.

That said, I think what he meant is the support by One Plus as far as customer service is concern. You have to keep in mind you are buying it from small Chinese company with very horrible customers service. So if things go wrong don't expect good support from them. There are a lot of horror story regarding return/exchange etc on their forum. I knew this going in so I really didn't expect much and luckily I didn't have to use their customer service.

joshschw

Nice to see something new period!
Lens is not 1020 size though, looks the same size as my 1520 but with an extra LED and a different mount for it all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thurrott vs Warren drama on Twitter.

Are they the champions that MS deserve? Bloody hope not.

edit: here's the links, I hope this will prevent my being banned asked/wished for. This time.

https://twitter.com/thurrott
https://twitter.com/tomwarren

You should still get banned because you failed to mention at least a little bit about why they are beefing. Both of them Spam twitter, I'm supposed to go back and read all their crap? Ban!!!!!

hadareud

The Translator
I'm ready.

I've rolled back to 8.1 in preparation. Have to say that after a few days of using 10 I'm quite eager to go back to it, despite the horrible performance and weird UX inconsistencies.

I almost miss the bloody cursor popping up when I press a capacitive button (I really fucking do not).

Nero3000

GO GO GO

...someone do it on a 930 before i do mine ;_;

For those updating:

Gabe said:
SUPER IMPORTANT TO READ THIS: At the end of the upgrade the Lock screen will appear frozen without the date and time for up to 10 minutes. Please be patient and let it sit – eventually the date and time will appear and it will allow you to unlock your phone. There is a post-upgrade migration status screen missing, which normally would show you that it was making progress. If you get impatient and restart or mess with locking/unlocking your phone, you’ll wind up in a funky state – so just relax and let it do its thing.

hadareud

The Translator
This is *a lot* better than previous builds.

Still buggy was fuck, but much more useable.

Scaling on the 1020 is good too, now.

edit: No more ie though, and while Spartan is now a lot better than before there's some basic functionality missing (pw sync, for one).

Top Bottom