• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Treo360

Has this new build addressed the mms apn issue in which you couldn't add one? Or how about the super sensitivity issues that plagued the 1520?

hadareud

The Translator
PW syncing works after all in Spartan.

Re: Music: Delete The app, restart, delete it again, then install from the store by searching for it from the store itself.

Worked for me.

edit: The keyboard us far worse at recognizing swipes than in 8.1 btw. Annoyingly bad, in fact.

I wonder what's the point of such a gigantic group that encompasses both OS and hardware, as they operate with different expectations. Maybe Myerson will fix the clusterfuck that is the current Lumia lineup and finally integrate the Lumia features to the OS, as the extras menu in Windows 10 mobile is just for their sake and looks ugly compared to the rest of the settings.

giga

Pretty clear to me that Satya knows the mobile ship has sailed so this is the first step in that process. He never wanted Nokia and Elop is the first casualty.

AYeah the mobile builds show where Microsoft's priorities are. Some say they'll focus on mobile after the desktop launch but I doubt it. They'll just focus next on desktop updates and Xbox. Oh, and focus on their apps for Android and iOS.

I hope I'm wrong and a flagship is released with home screen smoothness WP is known for.

AYeah the mobile builds show where Microsoft's priorities are. Some say they'll focus on mobile after the desktop launch but I doubt it. They'll just focus next on desktop updates and Xbox. Oh, and focus on their apps for Android and iOS.

I hope I'm wrong and a flagship is released with home screen smoothness WP is known for.
I doubt they'd release something "final" that wasn't up to snuff, but it seems like it's not going to be anytime soon based on the quality of the latest build.

Design on mobile is a pretty big step back from 8.1 on most fronts in my opinion as well, but I guess that aspect is something I'll just have to get used to.

We will.

Hardware, I know nothing about. I don't work on hardware specific features anymore, so there's much less day-to-day interaction with hardware. That being said, even if I knew about new phone hw I wouldn't tell you about it...i like my job! The latest releases were complete surprises to me (though I hoped they were going to release some better phones).

hadareud

The Translator
Wow, these mobile builds are dreadful. Almost nothing works for me on the new build.

Really? Works "fine" for me. Obviously performance could be a lot better, the UI could be more consistent, but everything does work.

I think this build is comparable to what we saw on desktop around 3 months ago.

The lack of new features is concerning, btw.

edit: When I say everything, that's not true btw. Tiles for certain apps aren't live and linking contacts crashes the people app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I didn't get the option for update 2, so I'm on the new w10 build, it's definitely smoother. Still ugly, and I still struggle to see anything special about this OS that would attract buyers which skipped on Wp8. Not to mention developers. What's the hook here?

I really wish windows phone had taken off, it's a shame so many of us had to move on, and I haven't seen anything in this build that would turn the tide.

NeOak

Nokia is dead.

Metro is dead.

The differentiation is smaller with every new release.

If the BlackBerry slider runs Android like Reuters said, I'll jump to that :(

JaggedSac

Wife decided to keep her S6. The uncertainty over WP hero hardware was a big driver. After farting with it for a while, I'm certainly not jumping ship. Android offers me nothing I personally can't get on WP. That probably says more about my phone usage than anything else.

kharma45

Probably. But a lot of people would have bought Nokia Android phones based on the Nokia brands.

And I mean true Android with the Google Store

Also true, but Microsoft paid Nokia $1bn to get them to go Windows Phone. They could've gone under trying to go Android. I doubt Google would've ploughed that amount of capital into them.

How's Win 10 doing? Should I hold off installing the preview on my 640 XL?
Yup, hold off.

Not sure if it was only put in the last build or if it's always been there. But I'm glad the option to have the background on the tiles remains. I don't like the full background. I don't like smaller tile spacing of 10 either.

So I'm trying to get music actually on my Windows phone for my MS Band to be able to control music through Cortana, and I have a question: If I get my music library setup on Xbox Music on my desktop, in my dropbox folder, it seems my computer can pull all of that. Can I get my phone to do that as well?

EDIT: I meant OneDrive, not dropbox.

So I'm trying to get music actually on my Windows phone for my MS Band to be able to control music through Cortana, and I have a question: If I get my music library setup on Xbox Music on my desktop, in my dropbox folder, it seems my computer can pull all of that. Can I get my phone to do that as well?

If your collection is in the Music folder in OneDrive, the Music app in the phone should pull it as any other in the Xbox store, and you can download them to the local storage. Any other OneDrive music located in a different folder won't be retrieved.

If I recall correctly all music saved in OneDrive is accessible on Xbox Music for any of your devices. I recently added my music collection to OneDrive and it shows up on my Lumia 635.

I know this isn't really the place for it, but I bought a Surface 3 -- 4GB -- and I have to say, it's really quite nice. If only there were tons of decent apps then it would be the complete machine.

hadareud

The Translator
A few more apps would be nice (like a decent podcast app for instance), but since metro IE is really good for touch you will learn to live without them pretty quickly. Probably.

hadareud

The Translator
The store beta had a nice update.

Here's a few screenshots from the recent build btw:

dg89Pbr.png

n562ZpT.png

TEfZUyW.png

LxD4lkR.png

wrhgKuA.png

8BIlpMm.png

r97nYma.png

NhfIzMp.png

YamW3CL.png

nZCZ8L2.png

0ddyQvf.png

AIIgx1o.png

VYhBgWB.png

Paganmoon

With the amount of money they spent on Lumia, they might want to use the name no matter what:)

I'd actually like a Surface branded phone though.

Top Bottom