• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

His point was that the deluge of models is necessary in the developing markets where price is key and having 6 or 7 models gives many pricing options. This market was pretty much the only one WP was doing anything in.
That's where things become more like the Surface. Release a model that is more for reference then expect other phone makers like Blu and Asus to fill the void.

His point was that the deluge of models is necessary in the developing markets where price is key and having 6 or 7 models gives many pricing options. This market was pretty much the only one WP was doing anything in.
I understand that, but there's also the problem of an overwhelming group of devices that confuse the potential buyers. I mean, just the 53x line of phones has three main ones, and several other variations on those.

Yes, variation is needed at all levels, but at what point it becomes a burden to market?

JaggedSac

lol no

They see it as a Sinking ship. You know, like most of the guys here saw Symbian^3 to Meego thanks to fucking Elop.

;)

That's where things become more like the Surface. Release a model that is more for reference then expect other phone makers like Blu and Asus to fill the void.

I understand that, but there's also the problem of an overwhelming group of devices that confuse the potential buyers. I mean, just the 53x line of phones has three main ones, and several other variations on those.

Yes, variation is needed at all levels, but at what point it becomes a burden to market?

I have no idea how those markets work, lol. Was just saying why he thinks the WP market at the low end will not work out with this change.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Plus last I checked making phones only for businesses was the thing that people do before iPhones existed. Unless it's for engineering or very specific technical stuff, why would people want to use a Windows Phone in a corporate environment at this day and age of bring your own devices.

Because windows phones are a lot more secure than android and debatable more than ios.

I have no idea how those markets work, lol. Was just saying why he thinks the WP market at the low end will not work out with this change.
There needs to be an equilibrium. It's just that Microsoft doesn't inspire confidence at that department, so people conclude as much considering the history of the platform.

Fatalistic readings aren't new at this thread. Actually, we thrive on them :)

captive

Windows Phone is going for the Blackberry pie then?

Based on the memo today, they are going to be creating flagship devices, devices for business, and value devices. You're the one that asked the question why business would pick windows phone. I answered.

In addition to security, Microsoft offers best in class mobile device management with SCCM/Intune and there are a lot of companies/people out there that like to go with the MS product that their other MS product supports. Even though SCCM/Intune, support both fruits and aliens too.

Totakeke

Based on the memo today, they are going to be creating flagship devices, devices for business, and value devices. You're the one that asked the question why business would pick windows phone. I answered.

In addition to security, Microsoft offers best in class mobile device management with SCCM/Intune and there are a lot of companies/people out there that like to go with the MS product that their other MS product supports. Even though SCCM/Intune, support both fruits and aliens too.

We're talking about the devices for business. I do not see the point of going for the business market because phones nowadays are more personal than ever. If people are using iPhones and Androids today in their corporate environment, then no matter how more secure your Windows Phone is, no one is going to risk upsetting their entire workforce and buy a bunch of Windows Phone for their employees. If they are already using iPhones and Androids today, then obviously security isn't that big of a deal. Why would they even dedicate resources to making specific phones for this particular choice of segment?

Got an M8 via insurance, loaded the latest Win10 and it's working great. Facebook is back to integrated in the hub where it wasn't on my 635 on Win10. Hadn't noticed it before, but MS' map app is pretty good now. No more need for Here.

Just looked on the 635 I have Win 10 on and it looks like they snuck an update in there with Facebook and Twitter integration. The "Get Social Apps" still doesn't do anything, so it must be tied to the MS account.

Not seeing the implementation on the desktop yet, and strangely the apps versions numbers have a different format between mobile and desktop (1.0.12648.133 on mobile and 1.10162.0.0 on desktop).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I read all of today's gloom and doom...and promptly went out this afternoon and bought an unlocked Lumia 920 off Craigslist to replace my dying HTC8x. I like the WP UI and don't mind sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

royalan

Windows Phone's UI and keyboard (seriously, the BEST of the big three and by a huge margin, why is nobody talking about this?) are what keep me wanting to come back. :(

If they could just lock down a few major apps I'd happily roll WP again.

f0lken

I read all of today's gloom and doom...and promptly went out this afternoon and bought an unlocked Lumia 920 off Craigslist to replace my dying HTC8x. I like the WP UI and don't mind sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

Should have gone 1020, I fear that will be the last super camera phone we will ever see :(

Milchjon

:-/

Truth is, you can be an MS fanboy and not have a windows phone, like most MS employees. I use onedrive, Xbox music, onenote, windows 7, 8.1, and 10, Office, Xbox, and Skype. Every day. Would I love to use Windows phone as my daily driver? Of course, but and maybe I will later this year, but it doesn't change my preference for Microsoft products and services.

Meh. My fanboyism was almost entirely based around WP. I like Xbox and Surface, I use a bunch of other stuff, but none of these would make me a fanboy on their own or even as a whole.

Plus Uncharted 4 and Shenmue III. I'm off the boat.

Lumia is way too much like Dreamcast in a lot of ways :-(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Windows Phone's UI and keyboard (seriously, the BEST of the big three and by a huge margin, why is nobody talking about this?) are what keep me wanting to come back. :(

If they could just lock down a few major apps I'd happily roll WP again.

I'm not going to lie, I'm jumping ship as soon as Microsoft releases its keyboard for Android.

I'm not going to lie, I'm jumping ship as soon as Microsoft releases its keyboard for Android.

I'm still waiting for this.

Meh. My fanboyism was almost entirely based around WP. I like Xbox and Surface, I use a bunch of other stuff, but none of these would make me a fanboy on their own or even as a whole.

Plus Uncharted 4 and Shenmue III. I'm off the boat.

Lumia is way too much like Dreamcast in a lot of ways :-(

Uncharted 4? Man, if that isn't a cookie-cutter game, then I don't know.
Horizon is what it's all about. My PS4 is ready (and continues to collect dust since I got it last week, wooo!).

Thing is, MS probably don't want that market. They want the western world everybody and their granny has an iPhone market.

Milchjon

I'm still waiting for this.

Uncharted 4? Man, if that isn't a cookie-cutter game, then I don't know.
Horizon is what it's all about. My PS4 is ready (and continues to collect dust since I got it last week, wooo!).

What makes you think I'm not a cookie cutter game linda guy

In the end I'm mostly looking forward to Quantum Break.

What makes you think I'm not a cookie cutter game linda guy

In the end I'm mostly looking forward to Quantum Break.

You're right. You're German after all. It doesn't get more cookie-cutter than that.

Shit, I can't get excited about Quantum Break. I love Sam Lake and love the mini series tie-in, but the gameplay looks pretty boring so far. I hope they have a great showing at gamescom.

derFeef

You're right. You're German after all. It doesn't get more cookie-cutter than that.

Shit, I can't get excited about Quantum Break. I love Sam Lake and love the mini series tie-in, but the gameplay looks pretty boring so far. I hope they have a great showing at gamescom.

I think it looks boring, but will actually be fun to play with all the time powers. Max Payne looks boring too and is fun to play. But yeah, they need something stronger to show this time at Gamescom. Love Remedy.

JaggedSac

brass-balls.jpg

Just looked on the 635 I have Win 10 on and it looks like they snuck an update in there with Facebook and Twitter integration. The "Get Social Apps" still doesn't do anything, so it must be tied to the MS account.

Not seeing the implementation on the desktop yet, and strangely the apps versions numbers have a different format between mobile and desktop (1.0.12648.133 on mobile and 1.10162.0.0 on desktop).

Gotcha. Was just a coincidence that I noticed it after setting up the phone.

The main thing that is still a pain in the ass on Win10 is the cursor. It has a mind of its own it seems.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I have been ignoring the W10 update notification for few days, and when I woke up today morning icons on the top looked different and lock screen looked different. When I unlocked boom. It was already updated. wtf? Never happened to me before. It didnt even show a message. even after the update was completed

Anyways, I am going work so did not explore a lot but boy I am liking it a lot. This is pretty stable enough to use it. Not sure why everyone was so against it. Using it on my 1520.

Yes there are some bugs that I am encountering while just typing this up, but is it weird I find this faster than 8.1 on my Phone?

Things to note, Music, Video, Calander app was deleted. Not sure wtf happened. Will check it in store when I get wifi.

And people hub, omg wtf Microsoft :( i am just sad. They took everything good about it away l. I dont know what to say other than the fact it really.. saddens me

And yes battery is draining faster than anything lol and phone is running bit hot. Sorry my impressions are all over the place. But this keyboard is acting weird and I am typing from bus. But this is definitely faster. I can so notice it when open some of the apps such as FB Messenger or settings. btw even Lumia Camera is gone after update.

Okay more thoughts later

I love TomWarren his Twitter account. I really don't get what he is trying to say.. On one hand he says this strategy fails. But he doesn't see anything in the strategy of bringing down the number of phones each year. I mean what else is left to try? Besides quitting ofcourse

JaggedSac

So I have been ignoring the W10 update notification for few days, and when I woke up today morning icons on the top looked different and lock screen looked different. When I unlocked boom. It was already updated. wtf? Never happened to me before. It didnt even show a message. even after the update was completed

Anyways, I am going work so did not explore a lot but boy I am liking it a lot. This is pretty stable enough to use it. Not sure why everyone was so against it. Using it on my 1520.

Yes there are some bugs that I am encountering while just typing this up, but is it weird I find this faster than 8.1 on my Phone?

Things to note, Music, Video, Calander app was deleted. Not sure wtf happened. Will check it in store when I get wifi.

And people hub, omg wtf Microsoft :( i am just sad. They took everything good about it away l. I dont know what to say other than the fact it really.. saddens me

And yes battery is draining faster than anything lol and phone is running bit hot. Sorry my impressions are all over the place. But this keyboard is acting weird and I am typing from bus. But this is definitely faster. I can so notice it when open some of the apps such as FB Messenger or settings. btw even Lumia Camera is gone after update.

Okay more thoughts later

What is your problem with the people hub? Only difference I see is circle images vs square ones.

The default Camera app is basically Lumia Camera now.

Calendar is now Outlook Calendar I believe. Not sure if there is just a Calendar anymore.

But yes, it is quite smooth for me.

hadareud

The Translator
I love TomWarren his Twitter account. I really don't get what he is trying to say.. On one hand he says this strategy fails. But he doesn't see anything in the strategy of bringing down the number of phones each year. I mean what else is left to try? Besides quitting ofcourse

He hasn't added anything of value to the discussion in a very long time, probably years.

These days all you'll see from him are cynical quips. That could be easily forgiven if they were in good humour, but he doesn't have a sense of humour as far as I can see. They are mean spirited, and not just when it comes to Microsoft. He's someone that takes great delight in businesses closing down and people losing their jobs (Phones4U, for instance), when it means he can add a told you so.

Also, he's an Arsene out guy. I'd unfollow him on Twitter if I wasn't such a masochist.

He hasn't added anything of value to the discussion in a very long time, probably years.

These days all you'll see from him are cynical quips. That could be easily forgiven if they were in good humour, but he doesn't have a sense of humour as far as I can see. They are mean spirited, and not just when it comes to Microsoft. He's someone that takes great delight in businesses closing down and people losing their jobs (Phones4U, for instance), when it means he can add a told you so.

Also, he's an Arsene out guy. I'd unfollow him on Twitter if I wasn't such a masochist.

Iseewhatudidthere.gif

Jeah I noticed for a long time now every update he installs or even talks about the OS updates is bad, not ready etc. Maybe because he is a journalist... Dunno. Sure WP10 isn't perfect and i'm sure W10 isn't either yet (Run both, phone gets hot and battery is a little crappy but it's okay..) But it just feels like the dude always kicks just to kick (don't know if you guys know that saying but it is a Dutch one :p ) and adds little to really discuss other then MS should just quit.

A well, since this is a phone topic I have ran the preview since the beginning and with every update I started fresh, here are my observations on the latest build:

- I miss Glance Screen from my settings, dunno where it is but it stays always on when I charge it now.. Don't think thats very healthy for your battery.

- Love the new animation, one thing people always complained about when I let them try Windows Phone and I agreed on was the stupid Animation, it just takes to long.. Hope this one stays.

- Browser bar at the bottom is something I really missed with a 6' phone so i'm glad that's back, really like the one handed mode too when i'm on my bike!

- Speech failed to download and I just couldn't figure out why, couldn't get Cortana to work because of it, seems you need to re-enter the Windows Insider fast ring in my case and it started downloading. After that nothing would open but if you let it sit for a few minutes everything is back to normal.

- I don't have nearly as much accidental ghost taps anymore. Not sure if it's because of this build but had many on W8.1.

- The phone does get hot in the upper left corner from time to time and battery is not amazing. Phone does shut down by itself maybe once a day.

- After I played my songs in Spotify my notifications don't sound anymore, reboot fixes it.

- Maps works, wish it had Dutch language.

- Facebook acts strange when I swipe through it, think the app needs a update for WP10

Overall though I feel like they get their, same goes for W10 :) Hope a new build gets released soon which fixes some of the bugs I have, some apps which don't update etc. But overall it does feel good for what I do with it.

José Mourinho;171370669 said:
Thing is, MS probably don't want that market. They want the western world everybody and their granny has an iPhone market.
Yeah, it's failed to be profitable and failed to attract app development.

captive

We're talking about the devices for business. I do not see the point of going for the business market because phones nowadays are more personal than ever. If people are using iPhones and Androids today in their corporate environment, then no matter how more secure your Windows Phone is, no one is going to risk upsetting their entire workforce and buy a bunch of Windows Phone for their employees. If they are already using iPhones and Androids today, then obviously security isn't that big of a deal. Why would they even dedicate resources to making specific phones for this particular choice of segment?

Because there are companies out there that don't give a shit what their employees use for personal phones. They buy what they decided on. Some also don't let you bring your own device. This is why my dad has to carry around two freaking phones.

That said MS MDM solutions make all phones more secure by securing company data. Its actually pretty neat, if you try and copy and paste from a work email or work document you cannot paste that information into a non work related email or document/website etc.

Totakeke

Because there are companies out there that don't give a shit what their employees use for personal phones. They buy what they decided on. Some also don't let you bring your own device. This is why my dad has to carry around two freaking phones.

That said MS MDM solutions make all phones more secure by securing company data. Its actually pretty neat, if you try and copy and paste from a work email or work document you cannot paste that information into a non work related email or document/website etc.

Right, there are some out there, but never big enough to be of an impact in terms of creating a vibrant ecosystem. Essentially what the Blackberry market is, no?

What is your problem with the people hub? Only difference I see is circle images vs square ones.

I've lost all of my contact photos except for some. In both W10 desktop and mobile.

I thought the whole "Facebook linking is going away" was just a false alarm? Or is something wrong with both my phone and SP3 installs?

JaggedSac

I've lost all of my contact photos except for some. In both W10 desktop and mobile.

I thought the whole "Facebook linking is going away" was just a false alarm? Or is something wrong with both my phone and SP3 installs?

Mine are there. Give it some time. Think there must be some background process that does it. I don't have Win10 on desktop so I can't comment on that.

Edit: hadareud is right, go to settings in the facebook app and you can force the sync.

hadareud

The Translator
It's done via the app in W10 mobile.

Open Facebook > settings > connect with my phone.

You may have to sync it again, which will take a little while.

In W10, the app doesn't (yet, I hope) have that feature.

Thurrott>Warren

Truth

Thank you.

Right, there are some out there, but never big enough to be of an impact in terms of creating a vibrant ecosystem. Essentially what the Blackberry market is, no?

There's a market for Blackberry?

I guess in a way this is really how it must've felt to be a Blackberry fan few years ago.

"Yeah, WW market share is declining, but it's still selling big numbers in Singapore! It's not dead yet!"

Aren't we all unts?

Dunno if there is a market for BB, haven't seen them in a long, long time... I do see some WP in the wild (mostly low end, in a train.) it always is a 'ah, brother!' moment for me haha.

I just hope MS sticks with mobile, I really, really like the idea of one ecosystem for many devices. Have a laptop with Windows, the only tablet I ever had was Windows. I think all my devices are Windows except a Ps4 instead of a X1.

What I never understood was how MS never had succes in the 1 ecosystem for all, they are cheaper then Apple which for me is a big reason I will never been able to have A Ipad and a Macbook and a Iphone. It always seemed like logic that MS has the biggest chance to have it all. But here we are.. Windows 10 the first attempt to the all in one(W8... maybe?) but its just really late. And now they have a negative mindset with mobile etc.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Windows 7, or maybe even sooner, adapted the one ecosystem and why that didn't happen at the time the original XBOX came out.

Mine are there. Give it some time. Think there must be some background process that does it. I don't have Win10 on desktop so I can't comment on that.

Edit: hadareud is right, go to settings in the facebook app and you can force the sync.

It's done via the app in W10 mobile.

Open Facebook > settings > connect with my phone.

You may have to sync it again, which will take a little while.

In W10, the app doesn't (yet, I hope) have that feature.

Thanks, guys! I'll give that a shot when I'm home. Can't find any way to enable it on my SP3 yet, but glad it's not completely gone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

The default Camera app is basically Lumia Camera now.

Calendar is now Outlook Calendar I believe. Not sure if there is just a Calendar anymore.

But yes, it is quite smooth for me.

Whatt? Those tiles are gone, my fav group looks so shit, just a list of people now.

ElNino

There's a market for Blackberry?

I guess in a way this is really how it must've felt to be a Blackberry fan few years ago.

"Yeah, WW market share is declining, but it's still selling big numbers in Singapore! It's not dead yet!"
Not sure about WW, but in Canada there appears to be.

My company (45k+ employees) still only officially supports BB as an enterprise device. There is some limited support for the Good app on iOS and Android, but it is not really supported. All provided company phones are BB (I'm using one right now as I'm on-call).

Friends of mine in other (competing) companies also use BB as their enterprise devices.

captive

Ok... again, your taking it out of context. The memo doesn't say they're only going after businesses. It says their going to do a flagship, value devices and go after business devices. If they are successful, and right now that is a big if, it doesn't matter if they are choosing to go after businesses or not.

Anyone feel like they can't wait for Windows 10 Mobile to get released as not-preview software? Sometimes it feels like Windows Phone 8.1 is getting old.

JaggedSac

Whatt? Those tiles are gone, my fav group looks so shit, just a list of people now.

What phone are you using? I had a 635 with an SD card where shit on the SD card was goofed. Removed it and did a hard reset and everything cleaned up.

Was there a "What's New" feed in the groups stuff? That certainly is gone for me as well, but I never ventured into that so I didnt even realize it changed.

Anyone feel like they can't wait for Windows 10 Mobile to get released as not-preview software? Sometimes it feels like Windows Phone 8.1 is getting old.

I can't wait, but it needs time. Liiiike, months more work, unless the next few builds rapidly advance its quality and stability.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think it's that far away now.

I've been running it on my 1020 for the last few weeks, and I have very few stability problems. It's fast, as fast if not faster than 8.1.

The new apps need a lot of work, they're not ready or stable. Some are readier than others, of course. But the underlying OS works well for the most part.

What it does need most is more work on the visual side.

And yes, if you have used it for a while 8.1 does feel old. Not a popular thing to say, but it's a good step forward from a design point of view. At least it will be if and once they iron out the inconsistencies between old and new.

I can't wait, but it needs time. Liiiike, months more work, unless the next few builds rapidly advance its quality and stability.

I don't think it's that far away now.

I've been running it on my 1020 for the last few weeks, and I have very few stability problems. It's fast, as fast if not faster than 8.1.

The new apps need a lot of work, they're not ready or stable. Some are readier than others, of course. But the underlying OS works well for the most part.

What it does need most is more work on the visual side.

And yes, if you have used it for a while 8.1 does feel old. Not a popular thing to say, but it's a good step forward from a design point of view. At least it will be if and once they iron out the inconsistencies between old and new.

Mmm hmm.

"Classic" Metro-style is getting old after a few years. I welcome our late 8.1- and 10 new style overlords.

I think I'm also beginning to like the light theme from what I've seen in Windows 10 stuff. Maybe once I upgrade I'll go to the light theme, power efficiency on AMOLED be darned.

KageMaru

W10M was unusable for me on the Icon but the new look was refreshing in ways while also being unappealing in other ways. I have faith that the final product will be great, I'd just like to have a solid preview build that isn't broken. Maybe it's just my phone, I get the feeling MS has forgotten about the Icon due to its short shelf life.

Top Bottom