• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

joshschw

You can, was the onscreen buttons that hid the skip button for me. (I feel very dumb now, but in my defense, I'm used to them always being visible on my 1020, so it's really Microsofts fault, right?).

Why feel dumb? It's atrocious app design. It's been out for months too - absolutely no one in Microsoft noticed and fixed it.

Doffen

While Microsoft are busy making tough choices, Game Troopers are busy actually supporting the platform:

Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops

FREE

Wut? Nooooo

I love the food and drink app, I moved all my receipts from onenote to it :(

w5bLJx1.png

You can, was the onscreen buttons that hid the skip button for me. (I feel very dumb now, but in my defense, I'm used to them always being visible on my 1020, so it's really Microsofts fault, right?).
I got that part okay, but when I'm in the app and I hit the run tile it says some crap about the band.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wut? Nooooo

I love the food and drink app, I moved all my receipts from onenote to it :(

I know, I like the food and drink app despite some of its flaws.
I was hoping it would get more attention and I was really going to move all my recipes in there. It would be really nice to have your recipes on your phone, surface/windows PC whenever you need them.

KageMaru

To those who are upgrading to the newest build, is it a good leap in stability? Does anyone use PNC so they can confirm they can log into the site? Does copy and paste actually work now?

The PNC and copy & paste issues were the main reasons I rolled back to 8.1.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Is it me, or did they go from ridiculously small to weirdly large with the battery icon with the latest update?

lol yes, battery icon does not look consistent with the other icons on top, it definitely feels odd. Also the space between the icon and % number is more than it should be.

BeforeU

To those who are upgrading to the newest build, is it a good leap in stability? Does anyone use PNC so they can confirm they can log into the site? Does copy and paste actually work now?

The PNC and copy & paste issues were the main reasons I rolled back to 8.1.

Copy paste does work from what I have tried, stability is better but again I just upgraded to build 1049 yesterday morning and got a new one just now. This is very usable. That cursor bug when typing on GAF still exists.

KageMaru

Copy paste does work from what I have tried, stability is better but again I just upgraded to build 1049 yesterday morning and got a new one just now. This is very usable. That cursor bug when typing on GAF still exists.

Cool thanks. I remember copy and paste just wouldn't work for me in the previous build. What's the cursor bug on GAF?

BeforeU

Cool thanks. I remember copy and paste just wouldn't work for me in the previous build. What's the cursor bug on GAF?

Its hard to explain but sometimes when I am typing a post, and move the cursor, it does move but when I type it starts typing on the wrong place even though the cursor is moved. Then you have to close the keyboard and open again.

Paganmoon

Had to do a hard reset after the update, wouldn't even get to the start screen, just stuck on loading for an hour or more.

after a few unlocks of the screen, mine stopped loading and gave me the start screen. Feels much more responsive after the update too, no longer takes 3 seconds for grouped tiles to open (still takes longer than it should though).

JaggedSac

So I paid for Tubecast Pro so I could have unlimited casts to my Bone. This was working fine. Just redownloaded on Win10 install and they are making me pay more money for unlimited casts. Fucking sleazy.

MCD

Oh man

First time using win10 on desktop. I like groove (can finally buy some albums that Xbox music didn't show "buy album" button and can make it into a small Window like WMP and Zune!) and edge is blazing fast despite the occasional UI and semi stutter bugs.

Mobile team, please work hard because I really want it as good as the desktop.

dawson-crying.jpg

I know, I like the food and drink app despite some of its flaws.
I was hoping it would get more attention and I was really going to move all my recipes in there. It would be really nice to have your recipes on your phone, surface/windows PC whenever you need them.

Yeah, and they were very great to generate grocery lists from the recipes, and had a nice hands free mode using the camera.

Not to mention the localized content (Brazil). All the other good cooking apps are not in Portuguese, which makes impossible to use for me.

Edit:

After upgrading to 10166 my phone is over an hour stuck on the loading screen after unlocking... Should I assume the update went bad and restore, or it's known to take that much time?

Zeknurn

Has anyone successfully updated their MSA password on Windows 10 Mobile after changing it?

I'm getting stuck on "just a moment..." when I hit "sign in with a microsoft account instead"

This is WP7.0 all over.

Now that I thought more about it, some of the apps shutting down does make sense.

Photosynth doesn't need to be its own app, it could be integrated in the maps, or even the default camera. Travel could be integrated into maps as well, it would be even better to plan your trip on the app, and when you arrive there the map will be automatically filled with your plans. Health and Fitness males no sense when they nos haver another Health app, though onde again, Ms is shutting one app in favor of another that still lacks features XD

The odd one out is Food and Drink... Perhaps it can be added to the Health app?

maeh2k

Now that I thought more about it, some of the apps shutting down does make sense.

Photosynth doesn't need to be its own app, it could be integrated in the maps, or even the default camera. Travel could be integrated into maps as well, it would be even better to plan your trip on the app, and when you arrive there the map will be automatically filled with your plans. Health and Fitness males no sense when they nos haver another Health app, though onde again, Ms is shutting one app in favor of another that still lacks features XD

The odd one out is Food and Drink... Perhaps it can be added to the Health app?

I'd kill them all. Those are never going to be popular apps on other platforms. Both Apple and Google have their own panorama solutions built in. Besides, I never felt that Photosynth worked particularly well. Just add an iPhone-style panorama feature to the photos app. Travel isn't the kind of app people would use all the time, either. They'd more likely use it once and never open it again.

As for bundling Photosynth or Travel with Maps, I think that would mostly just lead to a worse, cluttered maps app. Adding a bit of information to locations would work well, but more in-depth travel feature should be separate.

Posting from my old 820 on the 10166 build. It's reasonably solid. The most serviceable build to date by a wide margin. Still hang ups and loading screens here and there but you can see it coming along.

joshschw

José Mourinho;171593890 said:
Posting from my old 820 on the 10166 build. It's reasonably solid. The most serviceable build to date by a wide margin. Still hang ups and loading screens here and there but you can see it coming along.

Also threw it on an 820 and I am super impressed. There's still loading here and there like you said but battery seemed awesome from my playing around, and the new apps are so smooth! my 1520 on 8.1 has tiny hitches in scrolling all the time and 10166 on 820 new apps is perfect.

And that OLED... destroys the 1520 display.

hadareud

The Translator
In general the new build works well, apart from notifications not working for me at all. No sound, no toast, nothing.

Since I already hard reset twice I'm reticent to do it again, but I guess I'll have to. Damnit.

I really dislike the smaller margins between tiles on the home screen in 10. Also dislike how tight the full app list is to the start screen when you drag the start screen left.

joshschw

Played around some more and everything is smoother. not sure if it is Win10 or just the lower res screen though?

Facebook stutters on both but much more on my 1520

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;171595216 said:
I really dislike the smaller margins between tiles on the home screen in 10. Also dislike how tight the full app list is to the start screen when you drag the start screen left.

Yeah, the app list is too close to the left side of the screen. Push that stuff over 30 or 40 pixels.

José Mourinho;171593890 said:

Also threw it on an 820 and I am super impressed. There's still loading here and there like you said but battery seemed awesome from my playing around, and the new apps are so smooth! my 1520 on 8.1 has tiny hitches in scrolling all the time and 10166 on 820 new apps is perfect.

And that OLED... destroys the 1520 display.

How is battery life for you? Is it good enough to put it in a 820 as a daily driver?

hadareud

The Translator

I really like the smaller spacing.

The app list I agree with though.

I was getting the errors, but I let it go overnite and this morning I got spinning gears! After a requested reboot that is.
Yeah left it overnight as well and I'm still seeing that same thing.
Yeah, not a fan.

Anyone here using Build 10166 on a Lumia 1520? I want to jump in again to W10 on my primary phone (L1520). I did the first time when the tech preview first launched and went back to W8.1 since it was a huge mess. I'm currently installing build 10166 on my back up phone (L635) as I type this. But I have a few question for those of you running build 10166 on your L1520.

1. Does Hey Cortana work yet?
2. Does it still take 80 years for the photos to populate in the photos app?
3. How's the battery life?
4. Have all of you had to do a hard reset to get build 10166 to work properly?
5. Have all of you needed to not load a backup once you did a hard reset to get build 10166 to work best?
6. Are there any serious bugs that hamper the experience or are just annoying.

I would like to be able to migrate all my stuff and not start from scratch if need be. But if everyone really suggests and recommends to start the phone off fresh with a hard reset and no back up then I will.

Treo360

Anyone here using Build 10166 on a Lumia 1520? I want to jump in again to W10 on my primary phone (L1520). I did the first time when the tech preview first launched and went back to W8.1 since it was a huge mess. I'm currently installing build 10166 on my back up phone (L635) as I type this. But I have a few question for those of you running build 10166 on your L1520.

1. Does Hey Cortana work yet?
2. Does it still take 80 years for the photos to populate in the photos app?
3. How's the battery life?
4. Have all of you had to do a hard reset to get build 10166 to work properly?
5. Have all of you needed to not load a backup once you did a hard reset to get build 10166 to work best?
6. Are there any serious bugs that hamper the experience or are just annoying.

I would like to be able to migrate all my stuff and not start from scratch if need be. But if everyone really suggests and recommends to start the phone off fresh with a hard reset and no back up then I will.

1. Haven't tried it
2. Yes
3. Lite usage since getting off charger this morning at 6:15am (EST) has me at 79% as of this writing
4. No, and its working fine so far
5. Did not try as I didn't have to hard reset
6. Haven't run into any, well, other than not being able to assign my own ring/text tones to individual people (same bug/problem from the last build)

I wouldn't.

Wouldn't want to give you an answer because I'm not using it via cell data at all and was just playing around.

It's drained 16% since I turned it on this morning - maybe 7 hours ago. I did play around on it for a bit as well..

José Mourinho;171630475 said:
I only used it for an hour or so messing about so couldn't really say.

Edit: In other UI gripes, I hate the new pin entry. The 8.1 implementation is way nicer.
Thank you. I think I will wait until a new build then, as it is my only phone.

KageMaru

I've been running the newest build on my Icon all day and finally it's stable enough that I think I can use it on my daily driver. I can log into online banking, copy and paste is more reliable, the store doesn't crash quite as often, and the overall performance is a step up from the last build. Thankfully I had a PIN set on my lockscreen when updating because I was stuck in the eternal "loading..." hell with the start screen, forcing me to enter the wrong PIN enough times to cause a factory reset. I didn't load a backup and it's been running surprising well from a fresh reboot.

Still a lot of rough parts to the build though. Cortana is still inferior to the 8.1 version, I can't ask it to find me a location and take me there, the maps app just seems to crash. Some third party apps seem to need an update since they don't run properly. Also I know this has been discussed before, but I'm not a fan of the new mail app, it's definitely a step back from the app used in 8.1. All accounts are forced into one app, can't have multiple different mailboxes, and I have yet to figure out if you can even view all mailboxes together like you could in 8.1. The formatting options are nice but having more freedom to how you manage your multiple accounts is much preferred IMO. Copying and pasting in some apps is still broken, like from OneNote.

They are on the right track, but you can tell this OS is still months away from completion. I know they are planning a major update or updates to Windows 10 desktop post release but I hope with the core version releasing later this month, I hope this means they can then focus more on working on the mobile version.

Top Bottom