• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

I don't think it's that far away now.

I've been running it on my 1020 for the last few weeks, and I have very few stability problems. It's fast, as fast if not faster than 8.1.

The new apps need a lot of work, they're not ready or stable. Some are readier than others, of course. But the underlying OS works well for the most part.

What it does need most is more work on the visual side.

And yes, if you have used it for a while 8.1 does feel old. Not a popular thing to say, but it's a good step forward from a design point of view. At least it will be if and once they iron out the inconsistencies between old and new.

Yeah, they are certainly at the point of time where the base is in place and they just need to update the face.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
We've had proto-Metro since 2009 and the official one since 2010. That's half a decade of a user interface. It's old.

iOS had a complete visual refresh not that long ago.

Yet its still the same thing. You have a bunch of icons against a wall paper. The settings menu is more or less the same. I would call it a facelift at best. They went from shiny, drop shadowed, heuristic icons, to flat designed icons. Big whoop.

Yet its still the same thing. You have a bunch of icons against a wall paper. The settings menu is more or less the same. I would call it a facelift at best. They went from shiny, drop shadowed, heuristic icons, to flat designed icons. Big whoop.

And how exactly did the WIndows Phone home screen evolve after 5 years? We have not only large tiles now, but also very large ones. Big whoop.

e: Oh! Oh! Oh! And we have now transparent tiles, like in those shitty mockups everyone* hated in 2010. Double big whoop.

*not everyone

JaggedSac

And how exactly did the WIndows Phone home screen evolve after 5 years? We have not only large tiles now, but also very large ones. Big whoop.

e: Oh! Oh! Oh! And we have now transparent tiles, like in those shitty mockups everyone* hated in 2010. Double big whoop.

*not everyone

Speaking of these very large tiles. Do only certain apps support them, because I haven't seen the option to make them that size on any of the apps I have resized.

*not everyone

Windows 10 Mobile looks refreshing in comparison. :)

Though, I think I might to have to get used to Windows Phone 7, 8.0, and early 8.1 apps looking really off compared to later 8.1 and 10 apps on my phone.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

*not everyone

k...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't wait, but it needs time. Liiiike, months more work, unless the next few builds rapidly advance its quality and stability.

I must not understand software, because I still don't know how windows 10 is going to launch at the end of this month, it's all kinds of janky. The phone build looks like a 2016 product.

W10 desktop is definitely much better, but my SP3 still gets oven-hot, "system" process uses 500-900mb at any given time, Edge uses 2-3x the memory of Chrome (with 10 extensions), and there are soooooo many UI inconsistencies.

Otherwise, I actually really like it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, janky maybe wasn't the right word, I mainly meant bugs and visual inconsistencies, although performance was spotty as well. Ran great overall, but it's stutters and freezes occasionally.

Edit: also the Xbox music update for Android was nice. Onedrive music, so I get to listen to the Beatles on my S6. Sweet.

Doffen

*not everyone

You're forgetting about that extra tile row we got with 8.1

Windows 10 desktop has been rock solid for the last three builds though. They will easily hit their target.
I've been running the various builds of 10 on the admittedly low, low speced HP Stream 7 because I dare not but it on the Surface 3 or XPS yet, but rock solid is not how I'd describe it. It's really picked up these last few weeks and I'm sure the release build will be even better. But as of 10166 I still feel like it has quite a way to go.

Totakeke

Ok... again, your taking it out of context. The memo doesn't say they're only going after businesses. It says their going to do a flagship, value devices and go after business devices. If they are successful, and right now that is a big if, it doesn't matter if they are choosing to go after businesses or not.

According to the reports, they're choosing to make around 2 flagships phones for each segment. They're dedicating one third of their models to a miniscule segment. If that doesn't tell you they're not really thinking this through or taking this seriously I don't know what is.

Paganmoon

We've had proto-Metro since 2009 and the official one since 2010. That's half a decade of a user interface. It's old.

iOS had a complete visual refresh not that long ago.

When you see the exact same interface for years, well, yeah, especially when other apps are starting to...look different.

If we're talking metro, in 5 years, it's had some minor changes, compared to iOS start/main screen that's... gotten a flat design? in 10 years? Come on...
gkj6QsR.jpg
tAbCz39.jpg

But metro is old...
There shouldn't be change, for changes sake, it's a great interface, I'm all for minor tweaks, but why do an overhaul? Metro is probably the biggest reason I like the OS so much.

frontieruk

According to the reports, they're choosing to make around 2 flagships phones for each segment. They're dedicating one third of their models to a miniscule segment. If that doesn't tell you they're not really thinking this through or taking this seriously I don't know what is.

You mean like the NHS and private education sectors in the UK who are binning their BES in favour of Exchange and are finding that giving users low end Lumias as work devices have been increasing productivity as documents are being reviewed and updated on the go?

Its surprising how many iPhone users are finding the 635 a wonderful little device. They aren't for everyone but ms discounting for enterprise and getting devices in peoples hands will influence enterprises decisions on in house app support.

hadareud

The Translator

What frontier said. I don't think this is a minuscule segment at all, it's a really important segment for them.

Also, I doubt that there will be an actual business phone. It will most likely just be a case of once you link your phone to your work account, it will receive additional enterprise tools etc.

Like I said the other day, the way I translate their memos is that there will be 3 groups of phone, low end, mid-range and flagship (+ possibly a niche device every now and then). They should all be capable of being business phones, but for the most part, mid-range and low-end will be the ones that will be most used for this.

hadareud

The Translator
But metro is old...
There shouldn't be change, for changes sake, it's a great interface, I'm all for minor tweaks, but why do an overhaul? Metro is probably the biggest reason I like the OS so much.

Well it is old now. It does feel dated in places. 4, 5 years are a long time.

It needed refreshing and I'm quite starting to like where they are going. I think the new apps are a massive step forward both in design and usability. Hamburger vs. ellipses and all.

Compare the outlook app with the old mail app - it's a massive step forward. It's still quite minimalist and does have metro elements in there. Or the MSN apps, again they are so much nicer to use than the old ones and they look a lot nicer, too.

There's still some way to go on the people app and some other things too, don't get me wrong.

That's not to say that everything about Metro is outdated, old and shit. Far from it, I loved it and it is what brought me to Windows Phone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I still cant mute text messaging sound, its on vibrate and ringer is off. Microsoft I am out of energy now, you win. Fucking hell, what the fuck is this shittttttttttttttt

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I am listening to music texting with someone and I do not want to be interrupted with the sound. Is this too much fucking thing to ask? God fucking damn it...mother fuckkkkk

Fuckkkkking helllllll

This and shitty media app sometimes makes me wonder that is it really the biggest software company in the world making this OS or its out sourced.

JaggedSac

I still cant mute text messaging sound, its on vibrate and ringer is off. Microsoft I am out of energy now, you win. Fucking hell, what the fuck is this shittttttttttttttt

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I am listening to music texting with someone and I do not want to be interrupted with the sound. Is this too much fucking thing to ask? God fucking damn it...mother fuckkkkk

Fuckkkkking helllllll

This and shitty media app sometimes makes me wonder that is it really the biggest software company in the world making this OS or its out sourced.

The ringer volume is not controlling text message notification sounds? You on Win10? That sounds like a defect.

joshschw

All I know, is the one thing they HAVE to do is bring back swiping on the ellipses.... it's a menu that slides up, and the ellipses tell you it's hiding, so you swipe it up. Tapping it should be the added - secondary - activation mechanism.

Magni

All I know, is the one thing they HAVE to do is bring back swiping on the ellipses.... it's a menu that slides up, and the ellipses tell you it's hiding, so you swipe it up. Tapping it should be the added - secondary - activation mechanism.

Yeah I'm hoping that gets added in soon.

joshschw

Anyone wanna bet that there'll be a replacement tracking app on Windows 10?

I am sure - Step counting is big with most people.

But, this is their issue again and again, if they want to announce they are nixing the current app, they have to announce a new one coming at the SAME TIME.

When Google re-did their whole Photos subsystem, they didn't announce three months prior they were killing the old one!

Paganmoon

What I don't get about Microsoft Health, vs health and fitness app is, why separate the two? I mean even the fitbit app is usable without a fitbit tracker. Why would Microsoft block regular tracking in MS Health?

Also, I can't seem to get the headset I got with the Lumia 1020 (the official boxed one), to work with my 640, I plug it in, and when I play music it comes out of the phone speakers, it's not detected at all. Same with an off-brand headset I have.
My Sennheiser on-ear headphones work without a problem though. Anyone else get this issue?

Apparently the Microsoft Health app also tracks steps so I guess it was redundant.

Mine won't go past the setup if I don't connect it to a MS Band though. Also, I just got an update for Health and Fitness, so it's not completely killed off.

Paganmoon

And on the topic of Windows 10 Mobile. Why is "in place upgrade" even an option? I decided to try Windows 10 on my Lumia 1020 now that I'm running the 640 as my daily driver, and it's freaking unusable, it takes 3 seconds for it to expand a grouped tile. Going to play with it a bit and to a factory reset, to see if it gets better. But if it does (as I expect), it really makes you wonder why they even have the option available. Just force a reset, at least you can actually use the phone then.

joshschw

Mine won't go past the setup if I don't connect it to a MS Band though. Also, I just got an update for Health and Fitness, so it's not completely killed off.

Just installed it, right on bottom....

App doesn't seem as nice or intuitive as Health & Fitness though.

edit: it also doesn't work. MS Health is a disaster of an app too, forget "not as good" lol
Ugly, confusing, etc...

Paganmoon

José Mourinho;171528221 said:
So can I not track a run on MS Health without a Band?

You can, was the onscreen buttons that hid the skip button for me. (I feel very dumb now, but in my defense, I'm used to them always being visible on my 1020, so it's really Microsofts fault, right?).

Top Bottom