• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Verizon exclusive. Pls understand

It sounds like only Insiders will download on the 29th to make sure nothing goes catastrophically wrong. Then they will roll out to people that reserved and/or everyone at...some point. Hours? Days? Weeks?

No. This is not what's happening. If you clicked reserve your copy in the last few weeks, the bits will have already been downloaded to your machine by the 29th and ready to install on the 29th.

KageMaru

Just ran into a weird bug or glitch, my top row of tiles has somehow became my last row.

Also I had to manually turn on device encryption before I could get my work email to work on my phone.

No. This is not what's happening. If you clicked reserve your copy in the last few weeks, the bits will have already been downloaded to your machine by the 29th and ready to install on the 29th.
Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders. From there, we will start notifying reserved systems in waves, slowly scaling up after July 29th. Each day of the roll-out, we will listen, learn and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.
Windows blog post

Unless I'm reading that wrong, looks like a gradual rollout that starts with Insiders on the 29th.

KageMaru

What's a good qi charger that's cheap but not cheap enough that it might damage my phone?

I've used a TechMatte charger with my Icon since day one and have yet to run into any issues. It's $20 on amazon now. I tried to copy and paste a link but that function is broken on the Edge browser.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not sure I'll still be with you by the time "Soon" happens.

New iPhone is September, so the win 10 phone will at least be announced by then. Unfortunately, I can't think of a killer software feature that will matter on the platform, and the rumors are that it's not the 1020 replacement, so I don't know what standout hardware features they could announce either. At some point, the promise of continuum is very appealing to me as a professional office worker, but that probably won't be ready in final form this year. The chips this year aren't really going to provide the kind of horsepower that you would need to power the experience of a true continuum device that lets you go from phone to big screen monitor with one device.

hadareud

The Translator
The chips this year aren't really going to provide the kind of horsepower that you would need to power the experience of a true continuum device that lets you go from phone to big screen monitor with one device.

Why not?

It's not like most monitors are higher res than the phones that are rumoured.

That's a good list of things that are wrong.

There's a few that I'm not seeing, so they may be bugs that are individual to you:

You can. System > Notifications > select app in question

I had that problem in the last build, but Facebook integration now works properly for me:

I haven't seen these issues, sounds to me like this could be an individual problem here too.

Did you do a fresh install/hard reset?
Thank you so much. I have been trying for days to change the text message sound.

maeh2k

New iPhone is September, so the win 10 phone will at least be announced by then. Unfortunately, I can't think of a killer software feature that will matter on the platform, and the rumors are that it's not the 1020 replacement, so I don't know what standout hardware features they could announce either. At some point, the promise of continuum is very appealing to me as a professional office worker, but that probably won't be ready in final form this year. The chips this year aren't really going to provide the kind of horsepower that you would need to power the experience of a true continuum device that lets you go from phone to big screen monitor with one device.

Continuum is quite exciting, but I doubt it'll see much use.
If anything, Microsoft should be afraid of Continuum. If it's as big a deal as they think it is, it's going to be a precursor to iOS and Android wiping out Windows.

Klocker

Continuum is quite exciting, but I doubt it'll see much use.
If anything, Microsoft should be afraid of Continuum. If it's as big a deal as they think it is, it's going to be a precursor to iOS and Android wiping out Windows.

I thought the point was that the continuum device had to be running Windows 10?

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things for an alloy back.

Please, god, no alloy back.

Just update the 830 design with the removable back and sd slot. That way, they could have one of those flip shell things integrated into the back as an option. That's my ideal device. Don't even care if it's not metal unibody, the removable back is more important to me.
CP-627-Hero-jpg.jpg

JaggedSac

Only reason people are even thinking it is useful is because it would allow for the Office suite to be used on the phone just like desktop. Maybe even the possibility of using other software developed for the universal app platform like full Photoshop. If other phone OS's want a Continuum like thing to succeed, it would be for Office. At which point, MS don't care.

Who wants an Android desktop though, apart from weirdos.

From what they've shown it looks like Continuum is not that interesting either. None of the demos had windowed apps. Just full screen and side-by-side. "PC-like experience" and "PC-like productivity", indeed.

hadareud

The Translator
From what they've shown it looks like Continuum is not that interesting either. None of the demos had windowed apps. Just full screen and side-by-side. "PC-like experience" and "PC-like productivity", indeed.

I see it as a gimmick that's nice to show because it's cool, but I cannot see myself ever needing or using it. If I go on a business trip I take my surface, which does everything properly.

But it's certainly more realistically useful than an Android or iOS equivalent. Which is to say, still not very.

Klocker

I see it as a gimmick that's nice to show because it's cool, but I cannot see myself ever needing or using it. If I go on a business trip I take my surface, which does everything properly.

But it's certainly more realistically useful than an Android or iOS equivalent. Which is to say, still not very.

Actually I see it as an alternative to young people who may not have the need for a full PC but have a phone of course and can convert to keyboard mouse for more effective work like filling out job applications or other forms of writing etc.

Also in lower income parts of the world it could be a real useful tool to have the connection devices set up in places where you can just go to connect and have your "PC".

Same could be said for anyone that may not need nor want to travel with tablet or laptop yet they could be in a hotel room or business center for example.

So while not life changing the statistics show that fewer and fewer young people plan to own computers. This could be a viable alternative.

Whether that translates to MS having any success besides keeping people in their eco system and office only time will tell

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
well poop. I upgraded my icon to windows 10 and the wifi wont turn on, therefore I can't download any apps that weren't migrated over. I like what I've seen so far. Settings menu is thankfully facelifted and consolidated.

Gonna wait a day or so and then hard reset if its not fixed.

Just update the 830 design with the removable back and sd slot. That way, they could have one of those flip shell things integrated into the back as an option. That's my ideal device. Don't even care if it's not metal unibody, the removable back is more important to me.
CP-627-Hero-jpg.jpg
The black 830 looks so slick to me. As much as I like the green and orange I just don't care for the silver frame, which is why I opted for the bland all black 930. If I could of had a black framed 930 with colour I would have snapped it up.

well poop. I upgraded my icon to windows 10 and the wifi wont turn on, therefore I can't download any apps that weren't migrated over. I like what I've seen so far. Settings menu is thankfully facelifted and consolidated.

Gonna wait a day or so and then hard reset if its not fixed.

Had same issue with my 920. Had to do a factory reset.

hadareud

The Translator
Feels like this morning's Outlook update is making the app a lot more reliable. Live tiles and notifications seem to work properly now, too.

Still annoyed that with every update they reset your custom settings (signature, notifications, swipe gestures) to default. Hope this was the last time.

edit: also, the calendar live tile now works and the pictures you take show up in the photos app instantly (photos app had an update too). This is making the W10 mobile experience a lot more satisfying, I have to say.

Also, nice to see universal apps in effect in the real world where W10 and W10 mobile get the same app updates at the exact same time.

If there weren't so many upgrade bugs, I would wholeheartedly recommend installing this build now. It's ready for your daily driver. Battery life is still a bit worse than on WP8.1 (mostly due to Outlook as far as I can tell btw, hopefully the latest update improves things a bit), but apart from a few minor annoyances I think W10 is now better than WP8.1.

hadareud

The Translator
Oh, btw, I can't remember anymore who it was, but a little while ago someone asked whether the option to limit the connection to 3G etc. was removed in W10. I thought it was, but it's not.

It's just hidden away:

i1evvDN.png

If you highlight it:

GYLEOBE.png

And it's in there (amongst other things).

2CYw6op.png

Save to say that the UI still needs some work, because at the moment there's guessing involved in finding certain things.

KageMaru

but apart from a few minor annoyances I think W10 is now better than WP8.1.

Not really sure I agree. The current build is tolerable for daily use but I wouldn't say it's better:

-Cortana has what seems to be half of the functionality, reverting back to mostly a Bing search program. Searching for a store will bring up internet search results instead of location listing, you have to specifically ask "find giant eagle near me." When searching locations, the results are just listed with no indication of distance. Once looking at a location, you no longer have any options to pin or save that card. Requires too many taps to find the option to save locations as favorites. You can't tell Cortana to take you anywhere because the maps app never loads up. You can't highlight an item in the browser and hit the search button to bring up the meaning of the word. There is no longer an option to search items on your phone. Hey Cortana doesn't work either.

-Edge is a speedy browser, but I haven't run into any pages that really look better due to the new rendering engine. They still need a scroll indicator. The browser will crash from time to time. Copy and paste isn't even offered in the browser. The cursor bug is extremely annoying.

-Surprisingly the music app is worse than the one found in 8.1. Songs will randomly not play for some reason. The UI will keep reverting back to the all songs list. I haven't been able to find the option to change the lock screen based on my music, so I'm guessing the feature is no longer there. The app no longer has a live tile.

-the outlook app doesn't push out policy settings the rest of the phone. It's annoying that your accounts are now managed through the app instead of having an actual accounts setting in the options menu like every other phone OS.

-The store still needs plenty of work. I have auto update turned off but once I check for updates it starts to download them automatically. Updates that fail to download continue to populate the list. Unless I'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be any notification to when an app was last updated.

-Original 8.0/8.1 apps don't run properly a lot of the time.

-UI is inconsistent.

-Performance definitely needs improving.

There are more annoyances but that's a quick summary of my experiences so far. This OS has potential but I wouldn't say it's better than 8.1 right now.

hadareud

The Translator
-Edge is a speedy browser, run but I haven't run into any pages that really look better due to the new rendering engine. They still need a scroll indicator. The browser will crash from time to time. Copy and paste isn't even offered in the browser. The cursor bug is extremely annoying.

Copy paste in Edge works, but differently. It works like it does in W8, hold and a copy paste menu will pop up.

Not ideal, but a bug I would think.

-Surprisingly the music app is worse than the one found in 8.1. Songs will randomly not play for some reason. The UI will keep reverting back to the all songs list. I haven't been able to find the option to change the lock screen based on my music, so I'm guessing the feature is no longer there. The app no longer has a live tile.

I haven't encountered these problems, apart from lock screen not being supported yet and there not yet being a live tile (not that the lock screen support worked even half the time in 8.1).

What is a pain is the slow initial loading of the songs (first startup) and that the Xbox music integration isn't there/or if it is not finished. But in general the music app works at least as well as the old one for me, but with a far nicer UI.

-the outlook app doesn't push out policy settings the rest of the phone. It's annoying that your accounts are now managed through the app instead of having an actual accounts setting in the options menu like every other phone OS.

Definitely hope they change this, because it's not ideal. That said, you shouldn't need to use that apart from the initial setup of a new account. Btw, it can also be done from the people hub.

-The store still needs plenty of work. I have auto update turned off but once I check for updates it starts to download them automatically. Updates that fail to download continue to populate the list. Unless I'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be any notification to when an app was last updated.

Yes the store is buggy as fuck for sure. A lot of work still needed.

-Original 8.0/8.1 apps don't run properly a lot of the time.

I can't confirm that. Old apps work just fine for me.

-UI is inconsistent.

It is, but still already an improvement over 8 for me.

-Performance definitely needs improving.

In places, for sure. But generally I don't think it performs slower than 8.1, if at all.

Not really sure I agree. The current build is tolerable for daily use but I wouldn't say it's better:

There are more annoyances but that's a quick summary of my experiences so far. This OS has potential but I wouldn't say it's better than 8.1 right now.

I guess it comes down to preference. I prefer it over 8 even in this early state. The new apps are buggy, but a lot better to use and more functional than old ones, for me.

Paganmoon

How's the battery with the current build?

my 1020 doesn't last a day, just idling on my desk with W10 latest build. I mean I didn't touch it at all since last night and it's dead now. Not sure if the phone is the issue or W10.

And can anyone tell my why there is no Glance Background for W10? Why remove a feature that was working well, and differentiated the phones from the rest?

hadareud

The Translator
How's the battery with the current build?

Better than in previous builds for me, but not brilliant. I am suspecting Outlook to be the main problem. I do get a day out of my 1020, just.

And can anyone tell my why there is no Glance Background for W10? Why remove a feature that was working well, and differentiated the phones from the rest?

It's still there, but not showing.

You can open the setting from the store (open http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/glance-screen/106e0a97-8b19-42cf-8879-a8ed2598fcbb in Edge), then click open.

hadareud

The Translator
Oh, cool, will have to try it when I get home. Thing is I have Glance settings available, but I can't set background through it, but I'll try it this way see if I get more options for the settings.
Thanks.

Yeah it works. Will ask you for a restart the first time you open it and then you can change the settings, just like before.

ElNino

The main difference is that Lenses no longer exist and that none of the Lumia camera apps (Cinemagraph etc.) work or can be installed.
But the normal camera functionality is fine? Re-framing, action shot, etc.

Any noticeable differences in processing?

Paganmoon

Yeah it works. Will ask you for a restart the first time you open it and then you can change the settings, just like before.

Had to restart a few times, as the first time I had errors on the "extras" settings. But yeah, now I can set background, but, it seems it has to be the same background as the regular lockscreen? Liked it more when you could have separate ones, but I'm guessing (hoping) it'll come in the future. thanks.

hadareud

The Translator
But the normal camera functionality is fine? Re-framing, action shot, etc.

Any noticeable differences in processing?

No action shot, that's a lense.

Re-framing is different and not as intuitive as before, but it works somewhat.

The 1020 specific features (resolution settings, raw etc) are not there, and the picture processing seems a bit off and it's slower than on WP8.1. However, start up time is a bit better, I think.

So if you're using your 1020 as your camera a lot, do not use W10 on it for now, is what I'm saying.

ElNino

No action shot, that's a lense.

Re-framing is different and not as intuitive as before, but it works somewhat.

The 1020 specific features (resolution settings, raw etc) are not there, and the picture processing seems a bit off and it's slower than on WP8.1. However, start up time is a bit better, I think.

So if you're using your 1020 as your camera a lot, do not use W10 on it for now, is what I'm saying.
Ok, thanks. No update for me than yet.

Now, I still need to decide about picking up an 830 or 930 to play with for the time being or just wait to see what the W10 devices are.

Paganmoon

Hadareud, does Windows 10 recognize that you've got a gyroscope in your 1020? As in, can you download the inmind VR game on your phone?

Mine flatout refused to on Windows 10, saying my phone lacks gyro, reverted back to 8.1, and it works.

Top Bottom