• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

CJp--gLWIAA1c-5.jpg:large

That unified design language.

hadareud

The Translator
Depends on your pain threshold.

It runs very smoothly for the most part, but there are certainly still some bad bugs, especially in apps.

If things not working all the time on the first try doesn't annoy you to fuck and if you're prepared to reset your phone when you have to, go for it.

neoanarch

So opinions of installing 10166 on a daily driver (930)?

I wouldn't suggest it unless your prepared to lose it. I heard its stable but I'm pretty sure I just bricked my 635 trying to update.

edit: What a relief. I was stuck on the sad face reset loop but managed to get the recovery tool to recognize it just now.

Nero3000

Depends on your pain threshold.

It runs very smoothly for the most part, but there are certainly still some bad bugs, especially in apps.

If things not working all the time on the first try doesn't annoy you to fuck and if you're prepared to reset your phone when you have to, go for it.

Hmmm...what kind of bad bugs are you running into?

Only things i need to work reliably is Edge, Whatsapp and a twitter client.

Prez

Finally tried the Windows 10 preview on my 630. Hated it. It's slow and buggy, can't even have separate tiles for different email accounts. I rolled back immediately.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So since I installed the W10 preview, I have noticed I cant do phone search? wtf. Before I could just type in any contact name, something related to text msg and had option to search in phone only and not web. That seems to be gone now. Hollyfuck

So opinions of installing 10166 on a daily driver (930)?

Working fine on my 1520. I am using it as my daily driver. Sometimes some apps wont open is my only complain so far.

hadareud

The Translator
Hmmm...what kind of bad bugs are you running into?

Only things i need to work reliably is Edge, Whatsapp and a twitter client.

Those work mostly fine.

As for bugs, random app crashes, having to remove and add my work email a few times before it worked, sms notifications not working for me and some random weirdness every now and then.

It's nothing too bad, but can be quite annoying.

Finally tried the Windows 10 preview on my 630. Hated it. It's slow and buggy, can't even have separate tiles for different email accounts. I rolled back immediately.

You can pin different email accounts. You pin the inboxes for that.

It's certainly not slow for me, but a fresh install can make a big difference.

Klocker

So since I installed the W10 preview, I have noticed I cant do phone search? wtf. Before I could just type in any contact name, something related to text msg and had option to search in phone only and not web. That seems to be gone now. Hollyfuck

The feature has to be coming back right?.... right? Oh man

Yeah.. I really don't get why Ms decided to launch so early in such a state. I would rather have the OS launching November but with a consistent UI with all legacy stuff gone, an OneDrive solution that's a step forward and not back from 8.1 and so on...

Right now there are at least 3 UI types (Vista/7, 8 metro fly outs, universal apps and flyouts for some system stuff) going on...

Don't get me wrong, the os itself is heading to a very good direction, and the latest build are rocking awesome, but I don't know why they chose to rush and deliver what feels like an unfinished product when they could take a little extra time in the oven and ship a more consistent product.

Yeah.. I really don't get why Ms decided to launch so early in such a state. I would rather have the OS launching November but with a consistent UI with all legacy stuff gone, an OneDrive solution that's a step forward and not back from 8.1 and so on...

Right now there are at least 3 UI types (Vista/7, 8 metro fly outs, universal apps and flyouts for some system stuff) going on...

Don't get me wrong, the os itself is heading to a very good direction, and the latest build are rocking awesome, but I don't know why they chose to rush and deliver what feels like an unfinished product when they could take a little extra time in the oven and ship a more consistent product.
It is confusing, especially since they have already said they are planning for a major update come November which will add in a bunch of features.

That said, if you are going to release an OS now is the best time because the Back to School deals on laptops and tablets will start up by August and they will want Windows 10 to already be on those machines before they are sold. They are probably thinking if the OS is good enough, they might as well just push it out now and fix the UI come the November update that will be coming anyways.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It is confusing, especially since they have already said they are planning for a major update come November which will add in a bunch of features.

That said, if you are going to release an OS now is the best time because the Back to School deals on laptops and tablets will start up by August and they will want Windows 10 to already be on those machines before they are sold. They are probably thinking if the OS is good enough, they might as well just push it out now and fix the UI come the November update that will be coming anyways.

Please, they aren't going to fix the UI issues.

CaptainABAB

Win10 won't be on any laptops in time for Back to School.

Those sales start in mid-August and the laptops/tablets that will be marketed for Back to School most likely are already shipped/being shipped to the stores.

I don't expect any OEM to turn around a laptop with Win10 before September.

In case anyone cares I installed build 10166 on my spare phone (L635) and my daily driver (L1520). On the L635 Windows 10 definitely works but it is a bit slow and cumbersome. On the L1520 it is definitely a smooth and quick build but there are a few nuances and complaints I have about it.

1. Unlocking the phone for the first time on a fresh boot does make it show the loading screen when unlocking and having the phone go to the start screen. Sometimes the screen messes up and I have to unlock it twice to get to the start screen.
2. Swiping down to get the action/notification menu does lag from time to time.
3. Some icons when pinned show nothing. Onenote just shows for me a purple box with no icon.
4. I still can't connect my Office 365 account with Cortana on my phone or on my SP3 that also has build 10166.
5. New photos sometimes takes a while to generate in photos. Not a fan that we no longer can mark photos as favorites. I am also not a fan that we can't set the live tile for photos to use my favorite images as before.
6. When pinning new icons sometimes I need to hit the home button two times or leave and come back for the new pinned icon to appear.
7. Not a fan Outlook just yet. It doesnt always pull my e-mails when they arrive even though I have it set to that option. I dislike that you also can't combine inboxes. Outlook also crashes from time to time. Sometimes I will have to reboot the phone to get Outlook to work.
8.The battery life isn't as great as it was on 8.1 Update 2 but its not bad either. It just seems like I'm getting 1-2 hours less than I'm normally used too.
9. When holding the search button while the phone is locked, sometimes the screen wont unlock but Cortana will still make her sound and let me talk to her to make a text or something. But the screen won't show Cortana, just my lock-screen's wallpaper.
10. Sometimes when changing my start screen's wallpaper it won't make the change. So I need to reboot the phone and select the photo again for it to make the change.
11. The people hub currently only shows my twitter feed under what's new.I also dislike that we lost the ability to swipe to the right on a contact and see just their feeds on Skype, Twitter, and Facebook.
12. Don't like that there is not an option to set or change the sounds of any notification.
13. Some apps crash every once in a while. Such as Edge, Office Suite. Facebook, Spotify, Weather, and Photos are the ones that have crashed on me so far.

But other than all those nuances and complaints that I have on Windows 10 Mobile Build 10166, I do enjoy it much more on my L1520 and L635. I would definitely recommend this build as a daily driver, but just keep in mind on what I listed above.

Paganmoon

Holy shit...edge is rapid

yeah, much faster than IE on my 1020, though, it doesn't seem to have gesture support? I can't swipe to go back or forward, and can't seem to find any setting for this.

also found it amusing when setting up a pincode, it says "When should windows ask you to log in again, if you've been away from the computer?" at least in the Swedish translation.

m3k

Hey people I have a 920 and the sound/speakers are messed up... It will ring but wont play videos or music unless I have my headphones in. Does anyone know how to fix this yet?

hadareud

The Translator
In case anyone cares I installed build 10166 on my spare phone (L635) and my daily driver (L1520). On the L635 Windows 10 definitely works but it is a bit slow and cumbersome. On the L1520 it is definitely a smooth and quick build but there are a few nuances and complaints I have about it.

1. Unlocking the phone for the first time on a fresh boot does make it show the loading screen when unlocking and having the phone go to the start screen. Sometimes the screen messes up and I have to unlock it twice to get to the start screen.
2. Swiping down to get the action/notification menu does lag from time to time.
3. Some icons when pinned show nothing. Onenote just shows for me a purple box with no icon.
4. I still can't connect my Office 365 account with Cortana on my phone or on my SP3 that also has build 10166.
5. New photos sometimes takes a while to generate in photos. Not a fan that we no longer can mark photos as favorites. I am also not a fan that we can't set the live tile for photos to use my favorite images as before.
6. When pinning new icons sometimes I need to hit the home button two times or leave and come back for the new pinned icon to appear.
7. Not a fan Outlook just yet. It doesnt always pull my e-mails when they arrive even though I have it set to that option. I dislike that you also can't combine inboxes. Outlook also crashes from time to time. Sometimes I will have to reboot the phone to get Outlook to work.
8.The battery life isn't as great as it was on 8.1 Update 2 but its not bad either. It just seems like I'm getting 1-2 hours less than I'm normally used too.
9. When holding the search button while the phone is locked, sometimes the screen wont unlock but Cortana will still make her sound and let me talk to her to make a text or something. But the screen won't show Cortana, just my lock-screen's wallpaper.
10. Sometimes when changing my start screen's wallpaper it won't make the change. So I need to reboot the phone and select the photo again for it to make the change.
11. The people hub currently only shows my twitter feed under what's new.I also dislike that we lost the ability to swipe to the right on a contact and see just their feeds on Skype, Twitter, and Facebook.
12. Don't like that there is not an option to set or change the sounds of any notification.
13. Some apps crash every once in a while. Such as Edge, Office Suite. Facebook, Spotify, Weather, and Photos are the ones that have crashed on me so far.

But other than all those nuances and complaints that I have on Windows 10 Mobile Build 10166, I do enjoy it much more on my L1520 and L635. I would definitely recommend this build as a daily driver, but just keep in mind on what I listed above.

That's a good list of things that are wrong.

There's a few that I'm not seeing, so they may be bugs that are individual to you:

You can. System > Notifications > select app in question

I had that problem in the last build, but Facebook integration now works properly for me:

I haven't seen these issues, sounds to me like this could be an individual problem here too.

Did you do a fresh install/hard reset?

Paganmoon

You know what'd be a cool addition to the live tiles? Swiping, or some other gesture, for instance on health and fitness, to force it to switch between news and your step count. Live tiles are great for info, but sometimes when I just unlock the screen to check something quick, the tile's showing the "wrong info" and I have to wait for it to toggle to the "other side", would be great if we were able to control it somehow.

Nero3000

huh weird bug in outlook, it sends random emails from inbox instead of what i type.

I just sent an email mailer for computers to my (house) developer rather than a set of questions.

Using my mum's 640 and shit, I absolutely loathe software buttons. I know it mates the device cheaper but really, how much cost could hardware buttons add? Just put them on there, charge more, and let everybody have the slightly less lacklustre Windows Phone experience we all deserve.

That's a good list of things that are wrong.

There's a few that I'm not seeing, so they may be bugs that are individual to you:

You can. System > Notifications > select app in question

I had that problem in the last build, but Facebook integration now works properly for me:

I haven't seen these issues, sounds to me like this could be an individual problem here too.

Did you do a fresh install/hard reset?

Thanks for the reply. I noticed in your screenshots you were using the Facebook Beta and that is why it was appearing for you in the whats new section in the people hub. I only had the normal version installed but once I installed the FB beta it appeared for me there now and in the contacts. I will definitely try a hard reset once I am home from work to see if that fixes any of my other issues.

As for notifications, when I go to that part of the settings and I select the app in question nothing pops up or happens. All I can do is slide the nob to turn it off or on. =\

Win10 won't be on any laptops in time for Back to School.

Those sales start in mid-August and the laptops/tablets that will be marketed for Back to School most likely are already shipped/being shipped to the stores.

I don't expect any OEM to turn around a laptop with Win10 before September.

Yeah, this makes even less sense:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...c-with-windows-10-pre-installed-on-launch-day

On launch day there won't be a single computer with windows 10 preinstalled, and non insiders won't even be able to download it...

Anyone have an HTC 8X? I read an article saying it's going to get WP10 Preview.

I switched from one a few weeks ago but would pick it up again if it had an update.

http://m.windowscentral.com/microso...emium-lumia-windows-10-phones-are-coming-soon

Only took a massive firing to confirm that yes, we are getting a flagship.

Soon.
Verizon exclusive. Pls understand
Where is this from? I had not heard this.
It sounds like only Insiders will download on the 29th to make sure nothing goes catastrophically wrong. Then they will roll out to people that reserved and/or everyone at...some point. Hours? Days? Weeks?

Top Bottom