• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Tablo

I want Band 2 to support payments, as well as the new flagships.
I hope the Band 2 is something special, I would be so on board with one if it's less chunky, better designed, durable, splashproof. Cmon make it make sense and be useful, I am IN!

Hype for new flagships is at an all time high...

José Mourinho;172256531 said:
But that's kind of my point, I see a lot of these changes between the two as being six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I've seen people complain about wanting tighter brightness controls and in the end, that's easier in 8.1, or it hasn't really been improved upon. Anyway, it's just an example, I can live with the 25% increments myself. I was more trying to make the point that it's an area where I don't see a huge deal of improvement but I've seen many people discuss the changes as if they are a clear and better way of doing things, when in tablet mode, I don't it always is.

I don't like the taskbar but can it and swipe up so I'm fine with that. My main gripe is the vertical start screen. Fine in desktop with the smaller traditional start menu and tablet in portrait. But I'm not a fan of it in landscape. Oh well, what can you do?

Edit: I hope that I'm actually in the minority and everybody else loves 10 on tablet because it would be nice to see it take off.
I see your points, and indeed it's very hard to please everyone without having tons of options and everything customizable.

Win10 is still a wip though, so we need to make our voice heard so it keeps improving.

That's why I'm staying on preview even after launch.

Tablo

^Exactly right haha, there can't be more than 2-3 weeks between reveal and availability, the shorter gap the better.
Already from what Daniel Rubino has said in one of the #AskDanWindows videos (great series btw, the dude is eloquent, knows his stuff, and is a smart journalist IMHO) there might be the need for a software update to enable the iris scanner that would come a month or so after availability of the phones. If that turns out true it is again somewhat of a bummer, all the initial reviews of the phones wouldn't be able to cover it...

Magni

What about chip and pin?

I wouldn't say orders of magnitude safer in that case, but still safer. One of the coolest things happening right now in the payments space is tokenization. When you pay using tokenization, the vendor gets a token that looks like a credit card, and points to your credit card, rather than direct access to your card. It's kind of like a debit card could be considered a token for your bank account. If your debit card gets compromised, you can shut that down without closing your bank account. Software tokenization takes it a step further though, since you would have a different token for every merchant. So if one gets hacked, you can just close that one and don't need to update your payment info everywhere else.

hwalker84

Windows 10 is all fucked up on my 635. I haven't turned it on in awhile (It's my workout MP3 player and I haven't hit the gym in awhile). I decided to pull it out and install all the upgrades.

Now it's stuck on the version before the latest and won't download the most recent OS update. Also most of the important apps don't launch (Camera, Music, etc). You launch them and it prompts to either uninstall or install the app from the store. Neither option actually does anything.

jetsetrez

Windows 10 is all fucked up on my 635. I haven't turned it on in awhile (It's my workout MP3 player and I haven't hit the gym in awhile). I decided to pull it out and install all the upgrades.

Now it's stuck on the version before the latest and won't download the most recent OS update. Also most of the important apps don't launch (Camera, Music, etc). You launch them and it prompts to either uninstall or install the app from the store. Neither option actually does anything.
Factory reset the phone and it'll fix most of the problems that aren't just bugs (I had the same app problems). Don't worry, it won't revert to an earlier build, you'll just need to re-download the Insider app, then you should be able to download the newest build. The latest build is surprisingly nice.

Nero3000

Some of the stuff Brad Sams says in his podcast (redmond report) is very interesting. I highly recommend giving that a listen too.

e.g. Skype/Messaging stuff in Windows 10. Apparently the blog post in January from the Skype guys were complete mock ups, only afterwards was the reality if trying to do that stuff for launch of Windows 10 truly dawned on them. Hence why there hasn't been any news on this integrations since. Supposedly, now it will hit alongslide the Threshold 2 update in October.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I broke my 920 by using a nanoSIM adaptor (AGAIN) that somehow messed with my SIM tray. I cannot justify to spend more cash on this thing, so I'll be using an LG G4 in the meantime.

If Microsoft doesn't release a proper successor to it before Q4, that'll be the end of my Windows Phone adventure.

I broke my 920 by using a nanoSIM adaptor (AGAIN) that somehow messed with my SIM tray. I cannot justify to spend more cash on this thing, so I'll be using an LG G4 in the meantime.

If Microsoft doesn't release a proper successor to it before Q4, that'll be the end of my Windows Phone adventure.

I'm sure they'll release a suitable flagship by the end of the year. I just hope it's not going to use the Snapdragon 810.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm sure they'll release a suitable flagship by the end of the year. I just hope it's not going to use the Snapdragon 810.

Pretty sure the phablet will.

Pretty sure that the normal sized one won't.

Pretty sure that I know fuck all and am just reciting rumours, though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Honestly, I don't give rat's ass about the Snapdragon's 810 3D performance. We don't even have a port of Dead Trigger.

Just give me Windows Phone's natural smoothness with some real battery life.

Pretty sure the phablet will.

Pretty sure that the normal sized one won't.

Pretty sure that I know fuck all and am just reciting rumours, though.

I'd be okay with that.

Not the 820?

Depends on when they started developing the phone.

Honestly, I don't give rat's ass about the Snapdragon's 810 3D performance. We don't even have a port of Dead Trigger.

Just give me Windows Phone's natural smoothness with some real battery life.

The problem with the 810 are heat and maybe battery issues.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm familiar with the 810.

It's literally hot garbage, to the point of heat impeding its potential 3D performance.

Which is a shame, because I really liked the 801.

Shit, I'd be down for a Kirin powered model just for shit and giggles, even if we both know that's not going to happen. Huawei's are rarely top performers, but their battery life is fantastic.

hadareud

The Translator
I really hope they won't have OLED screens.

I use Waze on my phone, every day. The burn in on my 1020 is not pretty at this stage.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
  • Amazing camera.
  • Rock solid design.
  • Qi charging compatible with the old Nokia stand.
  • Glance display. OLED being vastly preferable.
  • Proper battery life.

That's all I need. I'm not asking that much, right? After all, we've already had a few phones with such specs.

I really hope they won't have OLED screens.

I use Waze on my phone, every day. The burn in on my 1020 is not pretty at this stage.
Modern OLED displays are so much better. But a GOOD IPS panel will suffice.

My ideal Windows Phone (not necessarily a flagship) would be the internals of the 930 in the 830. Thin, light, powerful (enough). $299.

Maybe not the Snapdragon 800, but a current version. You get the idea.

JaggedSac

My ideal Windows Phone (not necessarily a flagship) would be the internals of the 930 in the 830. Thin, light, powerful (enough). $299.

Unless that is the business phone segment, I don't think you are going to see that phone.

hadareud

The Translator
What I want is pretty much the same.

Thin-ish and light-ish and nice and unique looking. Qi charging and good battery life, and an upgraded version of the camera of the 930 (if I can't have a 1040 :().

Glance is important too.

Up to date internals and a nice screen, but I don't really care whether it has the latest and greatest chips. Coming from a 1020, speed is not going to be an issue and I don't game on my phone, so I simply don't care. Good battery life and no heat issues are far more important to me.

Also, one area where the 930 slightly falls down - it has to be nice to hold.

Modern OLED displays are so much better. But a GOOD IPS panel will suffice.

If they are and there's no burn in, I'm on board with OLED.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, my 1020 is almost 2 years old now and I started to notice burn in a few months ago.

Considering I'd been using Waze daily since I got my phone for probably an hour and a half a day, I guess that's not too horrible. But still, I'd prefer not to have burn in.

Some of the stuff Brad Sams says in his podcast (redmond report) is very interesting. I highly recommend giving that a listen too.

e.g. Skype/Messaging stuff in Windows 10. Apparently the blog post in January from the Skype guys were complete mock ups, only afterwards was the reality if trying to do that stuff for launch of Windows 10 truly dawned on them. Hence why there hasn't been any news on this integrations since. Supposedly, now it will hit alongslide the Threshold 2 update in October.

Really would be ideal if they had desktop messaging ready to go when they launch new Win 10 mobile devices.

hadareud

The Translator
I wouldn't know, I have the voices turned off.

I just use it for traffic information, really. It hasn't had an update in years, though.

The funny thing is that it works just as well as the Android version (minus a feature or two, though on WP it has a really good pick-up feature that isn't present on Android) and while it's extremely ugly on WP, it's even uglier on Android.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Do you know which nifty feature I wish it could come back?

The 1020's wrist strap.

lszDIXn.jpg

This past weekend I was at a huge festival and I saw COUNTLESS phones getting smashed and lost among the crowds because somebody bumped into their owners or some random dude threw a punch into the air. Prodigy's concerts in particular leave the arena pretty much littered with smashed phones. I would love to take my phone out during concerts, but having seen the consequences (and having punched somebody else's phone into low orbit by accident) I'm not about that life.

joshschw

Congrats - you managed to sum up annoying tech people in two nearly consecutive posts!

After almost a year, Cortana will be finally expanding to new markets.

TL;DR: Japan, Australia, India (English), Canada (English). Later Mexico, Brazil and Canada (French).

It seems I'll finally be able to use Cortana in my country, but knowing Microsoft is going to be a fairly basic affair. Of course, I assume this is Windows 10 exclusive, so I am at the mercy of my carrier or until MS thinks is a good time to release the next flagship.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I put Cortana on my s6.... How I missed her! Does a lot of what I need it to do, even in beta. I tested the reminders and those worked, going to try the geo fencing reminders next.

n64coder

Do you know which nifty feature I wish it could come back?

The 1020's wrist strap.

Yes, it's a great feature. I've used it a few times for when I'm on a ski chairlift and am trying to take a picture behind me. I used the strap from an old digital camera since I don't have the official 1020 strap.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Im sorry other phones, but the 1020 is the best designed phone of all time.

unibodes in 2015 plz

Oh man, I'm incredibly torn on the issue of unibody phones.

On one hand, I love how fucking solid the 920 feels to the hand. It trully is an amazingly designed device.

On the other, I would have probably repaired if it I could easily switch the battery. My current one has rapidly deteriorated over the past couple of days to the point of lasting about 6 hours if I'm lucky.

hadareud

The Translator

On one hand, I love how fucking solid the 920 feels to the hand. It trully is an amazingly designed device.

On the other, I would have probably repaired if it I could easily switch the battery. My current one has rapidly deteriorated over the past couple of days to the point of lasting about 6 hours if I'm lucky.

You can very easily switch the battery in it.

I changed the case a few times and I'm a clumsy fool usually unable not to destroy things when trying to repair them.

There's a guide on YT.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Kind of related, but they never removed a beta tag from Cortana on 8.1.

Yeah, but the Android version is definitely beta. I like that I logged in and all my notebook items were there, so if I told it to remind me something when I got home, it works without having to re-teach it anything.

kazinova

Dang it.

I finally checked the Windows 10 Mobile SIM settings to see that custom Internet APNs and MMS APNs are finally in the settings (my ATT 1520 works with StraightTalk if anyone's curious about upgrading to W10TP).

Updated my 1520 in excitement to finally use the preview full time and after updating my phone the WiFi just will not start. The only fix is a hard reset, so I need to back up all my photos when I get home at lunch...

Curse my love of partially broken preview software!!!

n64coder

You can very easily switch the battery in it.

I changed the case a few times and I'm a clumsy fool usually unable not to destroy things when trying to repair them.

There's a guide on YT.

Is the 1020 considered to be a unibody phone? So is it really that easy to remove the case and change the battery? Does it affect the fit afterwards?

My wife has the 830 and I think the fit is pretty good but I admit that the 1020 is better.

hwalker84

Dang it.

I finally checked the Windows 10 Mobile SIM settings to see that custom Internet APNs and MMS APNs are finally in the settings (my ATT 1520 works with StraightTalk if anyone's curious about upgrading to W10TP).

Updated my 1520 in excitement to finally use the preview full time and after updating my phone the WiFi just will not start. The only fix is a hard reset, so I need to back up all my photos when I get home at lunch...

The update process is so fucked I'll honestly be shocked if every phone gets updated to Windows 10.

hadareud

The Translator
Is the 1020 considered to be a unibody phone? So is it really that easy to remove the case and change the battery? Does it affect the fit afterwards?

My wife has the 830 and I think the fit is pretty good but I admit that the 1020 is better.

The 1020 is more difficult to open up than the 920, but it is possible. I've never tried it myself, though, so i can't offer much in the way of advise.

hadareud

The Translator
The update process is so fucked I'll honestly be shocked if every phone gets updated to Windows 10.

Well, keep in mind that W10 is still several months away from being released.

And when it will be released it will be on new phones first. I'd be very surprised if many old phones were to receive an official update before the end of the year.

Not sure that the insider update process as it currently is can be used to read into how the official update process works. I'd imagine that they haven't even started optimising the OS for individual hardware and features of old phones and I would also imagine that they will need to work on a pre-update that gets those old phones ready for W10 and eliminates the need to hard reset.

The one thing you can take from how things currently are is that when it is installed from scratch, W10 works absolutely fine on old hardware. That there's a lot of work to be done to a pre-beta OS months before release shouldn't come as a big shock.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Dang it.

do the hard reset and you may get W10 again. That's what happened to me, I had the same wifi problem. Then did the hard reset and it came back with W10 and the wifi worked, I was then able to update to the latest build.

The odd part, my music came through in the xbox/groove music app the first time, but my playlists were gone. Then after the second update my music didn't come through but my playlists were there. lol
I actually prefer that cause I know what music I had on the phone so the playlists now have all the music they had before.

Been using it for over a week, other than an occasional hiccup, its actually quite good on my Icon for being so early.

its very early, but its not that bad. It brought over all my settings from Weather, news, sports, my gmail, my outlook.com, and my work email(it even kept this configuration which uses AirWatch MDM), it kept my start screen layout, including my pinned email accounts, pinned websites. The only thing it didn't bring over was my pinned grocery list I share from OneNote with my wife.

Top Bottom