• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

Panos Panay taking over engineering for all Microsoft Premium devices (including Lumia)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/further-consolidation-coming-across-microsoft-devices-services/

s8AGNrn.gif

The source.

They reliable? Looks like they have brot's fav CPU.

Not my favorite CPU, but definitely more preferable than the 810 in a small phone.
I'm sure it won't be cheap when it comes out, but the Lumias usually get discounted pretty quickly.

But they're not full metal according to Rubino.

Also, unibody with a removable battery? I think not.

That does sound like the 830 approach. Thin, light, metal frame and removable back.

hankster

But they're not full metal according to Rubino.

Also, unibody with a removable battery? I think not.
Does seem to conflict...

That does sound like the 830 approach. Thin, light, metal frame and removable back.
Not a true unibody but I do like the 830 design.
Hrmm, I'm going to be tearing my hair out choosing between the smaller and larger model...
That's why I'm trying out the 640XL now to see if I can deal with the enormousity.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Panos Panay taking over engineering for all Microsoft Premium devices (including Lumia)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/further-consolidation-coming-across-microsoft-devices-services/

I was about to post this.

Excellent news. I only feel bad because we won't see his efforts for a good while.

Lumia 940 no more: slim metal 950/950 XL tipped for November release with USB-C

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Lumi...elease-with-USB-C_id71765#9Tchy5Vr9p6FqWPR.99

Lumia-950-XL-rumored-specs.jpg

I'm going to get blasted for this, but Microsoft shouldn't give a rat's ass about premium phablets until it has a great stylus and a competent suite of productivity apps capable of making the best of it. This is why the Note 4 is hot shit. Given the current app situation, large Windows Phone devices make no sense. A 640 XL is about as good for web surfing and won't cost you a fortune.

hadareud

The Translator

Yes, it does. Which would be good and is also what Rubino hinted at. I'd be happy with that, I really like the look of the 930 and 830.

That said, calling that a full metal body and a unibody is a bit of a stretch I think.

Not that it matters of course, I mean it's just semantics.

More importantly, I think they should move to a new numbering system. Now's as good as any time to change to something that makes a little more sense rather than what is going on now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The 830 is really, really nice to look at. It may be the prettiest Lumia since the 920.

With that said, I'm a HUGE Surface fan and I can't wait to see the first crop of Panos Phones. As a matter of fact, I'm so excited about him leading the hardware division that I may skip an entire gen and replace my busted 920 with a mid-tier, cheapo Android phone until I the first of his phones arrive.

Edit: I'm making a thread because.

hadareud

The Translator
He didn't come up with the Surface design by himself though, did he? I'm pretty sure that some German dude came up with the design iirc.

That's not to say that he won't have some input, but I think we might be overestimating his prowess.

So apparently Angry Birds 2 will not be released for Windows Phone.

What about Windows 10?

Doffen

He didn't come up with the Surface design by himself though, did he? I'm pretty sure that some German dude came up with the design iirc.

That's not to say that he won't have some input, but I think we might be overestimating his prowess.

It's not just about the design, it's about the complete product.
They need a Windows phone with a vision, not just a filler device for segment. And I hope Panos will deliver that vision to the mobile team.

What about Windows 10?

Currently only announced for iOS and Android with a July 30 release date.

hadareud

The Translator
It's not just about the design, it's about the complete product.
They need a Windows phone with a vision, not just a filler device for segment. And I hope Panos will deliver that vision to the mobile team.

I agree, sorry, I didn't express myself properly. I didn't just mean design, either - I don't think he came up with the concept all by himself. And while I really, really love Surface, if you're honest, the concept wasn't fully realised until the 3rd generation of it.

It's going to be interesting for sure what they come up with, but it's a bit early to write off this years phones as more of the same when we haven't seen anything other than rumours about its internals so far.

Currently only announced for iOS and Android with a July 30 release date.

Ah well. It'll be there for W10 GDR2.

Doffen

I agree, sorry, I didn't express myself properly. I didn't just mean design, either - I don't think he came up with the concept all by himself. And while I really, really love Surface, if you're honest, the concept wasn't fully realised until the 3rd generation of it.

It's going to be interesting for sure what they come up with, but it's a bit early to write off this years phones as more of the same when we haven't seen anything other than rumours about its internals so far.

He's not a concept designer, he's the guy that will take a team and bring something out of incubation and into production.
Now Nadella has said they they will bring a flagship device with Windows 10 Mobile this year, but what defines a flagship device? Is it the price tag, the camera, processor or screen? Someone has to make the decisions what they should focus on.

Now I do not really believe that Panos will micromanage every team, but he'll probably will have a vision for some sort of phone that will compliment the Surface better than a Lumia 540.

hadareud

The Translator
He's not a concept designer, he's the guy that will take a team and bring something out of incubation and into production.
Now Nadella has said they they will bring a flagship device with Windows 10 Mobile this year, but what defines a flagship device? Is it the price tag, the camera, processor or screen? Someone has to make the decisions what they should focus on.

Now I do not really believe that Panos will micromanage every team, but he'll probably will have a vision for some sort of phone that will compliment the Surface better than a Lumia 540.

Sounds reasonable.

Regarding the question of what defines a flagship, that's an interesting one. Because what we got over the last few years from all manufacturers is basically an updated version of their phones that is slightly nicer designed with slightly faster chips and slightly better cameras etc.

There hasn't been any innovation for years in reality.

If Microsoft can manage that, that would be quite something. It's not going to be easy, considering nobody else manages.

MCD

What about Windows 10?

Ralf Groene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPHpN5HukQ

Surface isn't just one person, it's a team. And if that team is heading Lumia...wonderful things might happen.

KageMaru

I really wish they didn't bother with 2K screens, 1080p is good enough while providing better battery life. That said, I'd live a 950XL as long as it doesn't have heating/performance issues with the 810 chip.

hadareud

The Translator
We need moar moar moar.

I agree that 1080p is probably as much as you need and the sweet spot battery consumption wise, but it all depends on what the actual battery life of the devices will be like.

kazinova

I'd be down for downsizing to a 5.7" at some point.

I'm pretty stoked about W10 Mobile as it it stands on my older phone.

Running it on my daily driver is a breath of fresh air. It's the little quality of life improvements: the flashlight as a quick action, responding to texts in the toast, the tile transparency options, the animations are even coming together.

A little more stability (and polish) and I'll be super pleased.

(I'm not looking forward to reinstalling everything again when the next version drops and have to hard reset to get the phone working again.)

I was about to post this.

Excellent news. I only feel bad because we won't see his efforts for a good while.

I'm going to get blasted for this, but Microsoft shouldn't give a rat's ass about premium phablets until it has a great stylus and a competent suite of productivity apps capable of making the best of it. This is why the Note 4 is hot shit. Given the current app situation, large Windows Phone devices make no sense. A 640 XL is about as good for web surfing and won't cost you a fortune.

Agreed, though I'm assuming the 950 XL will support the surface pen, or something similar.

Top Bottom