• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yes to 950 XL I think.

What are the processors rumored for the 950/XL like? Someone mentioned that the latest Snapdragon processors burn through battery too fast?

All I want is the same sensor as the 1020 (or improved, but at least the same sized), the Surface Pen to be true, SD support and for it to be as sexy as my Icon.

Oh and updates.

Super wish list includes that desktop thingy they were talking about.

All I want is the same sensor as the 1020 (or improved, but at least the same sized), the Surface Pen to be true, SD support and for it to be as sexy as my Icon.

Oh and updates.

Super wish list includes that desktop thingy they were talking about.

The performance of the Talkman/Cityman will likely determine whether MS ever releases a 1020 follow up. Which means it will not happen.

I think the best shot for a new phone with such a monstrous sensor as the 1020 may be the one produced by the new Panay leadership.

The performance of the Talkman/Cityman will likely determine whether MS ever releases a 1020 follow up. Which means it will not happen.
Chances of a 1020 successor was slim before the decision to cut down the number of Lumia devices to a more focused portfolio, now I think there's virtually no shot.

I've used by Band every single day since release. Highly looking forward to a new one!
Looking forward to that sdcard slot if the rumor is true.

Oh you guys. :)

Some of the stuff Brad Sams says in his podcast (redmond report) is very interesting. I highly recommend giving that a listen too.

e.g. Skype/Messaging stuff in Windows 10. Apparently the blog post in January from the Skype guys were complete mock ups, only afterwards was the reality if trying to do that stuff for launch of Windows 10 truly dawned on them. Hence why there hasn't been any news on this integrations since. Supposedly, now it will hit alongslide the Threshold 2 update in October.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm usually not a fan of podcasts where people talk to themselves, but I much prefer Brad's way to reveal information and explain it in detail, over the stupid show Thurrott and Laporte do every week with the constant "this is not news, btw, we've been saying this for weeks", even when they didn't really or when confirmation of a rumor is actually news. Or when he just can't admit that we was wrong ("$499 or $399 is not going to matter with this demographic, Xbox is an entertainment brand, resolution and graphics don't matter", COD 720p looks great vs "I just don't understand why the PS4 is selling so much better"). Not that I'm going to drop Windows Weekly, but Redmond Report is definitely more informative.

brot are you doing the Windows 10 |OT| ?

o6svUPn.gif

It's not like I'm qualified to do one either. I don't have a phone or tablet with Windows 10 and outside of my VM, the only actual hardware it's running on, is an old Thinkpad.
e: Not to mention that I'd make it sound like some of these annoying tech people would've written it.

I'm sure someone else will do a great job.

hadareud

The Translator
I will help by moaning about it once it's done.

There will never be a 1020 successor.

I think there will be.

Not that anyone bought one, but the exposure it got in the press was greater than any other phone Nokia released in recent history.

It's a nice thing to be associated with and puts a bit of spotlight on your platform and capabilities. If they want to be associated with being innovative, another 1020 type device is the best way to do it.

HoloLens won't make them any money either itself in all likelihood - but it's guaranteed to get you exposure.

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of new phones, here's the things that worry me/would still be interesting to know:

• Qi charging on the smaller one is only available with a smart cover, I think it would be good if there also was an option to simply switch the back without needing a smart cover. Really it should be built in already, let's be honest. I can live with changing the back, but I don't know that I want a flip cover on my phone.
  • only available in black and white - I really hope that coloured back-plates will be available. Colours, for me, are one of the most important things about Lumia
  • Windows Hello via the Iris scanner is great news - but it seems to be the only genuinely unique feature (other than Continuum, but since that's not built in we might as well not consider it for now). I would hope that there's a few more differentiating factors that are yet to be disclosed.
  • I really hope that the camera isn't exactly the same as in the 930, but so far there's nothing to suggest that it isn't. That's not to say that the 930 has a poor camera, it really doesn't, but 2 years on you'd expect a good step forward, especially for people like me who come from the 1020.
  • from the rumour, it looks like the smaller one's camera doesn't have triple LED flash. Why the fuck not? Surely the cameras should be on par with each other, it's not like 5.2 inches is prohibitively small.
  • there's conflicting information on whether the smaller phone has pen support. It should do, imo. 5.2 inches is bloody huge, too, so it would make sense, I think.
  • they both are "likely" to ditch Microsoft lettered branding on the back. "Likely" doesn't cut it, I really don't need my phone to have Microsoft written on it in huge bloody letters. Or any other brand, for that matter. The Windows logo I could live with, if tastefully done.
  • OLED. Please don't have burn in.

Nero3000

Speaking of new phones, here's the things that worry me/would still be interesting to know:

• Qi charging on the smaller one is only available with a smart cover, I think it would be good if there also was an option to simply switch the back without needing a smart cover. Really it should be built in already, let's be honest. I can live with changing the back, but I don't know that I want a flip cover on my phone.
  • only available in black and white - I really hope that coloured back-plates will be available. Colours, for me, are one of the most important things about Lumia
  • Windows Hello via the Iris scanner is great news - but it seems to be the only genuinely unique feature (other than Continuum, but since that's not built in we might as well not consider it for now). I would hope that there's a few more differentiating factors that are yet to be disclosed.
  • I really hope that the camera isn't exactly the same as in the 930, but so far there's nothing to suggest that it isn't. That's not to say that the 930 has a poor camera, it really doesn't, but 2 years on you'd expect a good step forward, especially for people like me who come from the 1020.
  • from the rumour, it looks like the smaller one's camera doesn't have triple LED flash. Why the fuck not? Surely the cameras should be on par with each other, it's not like 5.2 inches is prohibitively small.
  • there's conflicting information on whether the smaller phone has pen support. It should do, imo. 5.2 inches is bloody huge, too, so it would make sense, I think.
  • they both are "likely" to ditch Microsoft lettered branding on the back. "Likely" doesn't cut it, I really don't need my phone to have Microsoft written on it in huge bloody letters. Or any other brand, for that matter. The Windows logo I could live with, if tastefully done.
  • OLED. Please don't have burn in.

I think this sums up my thoughts exactly.

KageMaru

Yes to 950 XL I think.

What are the processors rumored for the 950/XL like? Someone mentioned that the latest Snapdragon processors burn through battery too fast?

From what I understand, the chip has been prone to overheat, causing performance to be throttled. I'm sure the heat isn't good for battery performance over a long period of time either.

Really hope these issues are sorted out for this phone. You'd think Qualcomm would revise the chip to correct these concerns.

OEM

Why do people want pen support? For OneNote? On Android its a different story, because Galaxy Notes OS custom designed by Samsung to fit pen in there perfectly.

hadareud

The Translator
It's nice to have for OneNote.

I probably wouldn't get one myself if it's optional, but I can see why people would want one.

Totakeke

Why do people want pen support? For OneNote? On Android its a different story, because Galaxy Notes OS custom designed by Samsung to fit pen in there perfectly.

Windows has the best apps with pen support by far. You don't need to "customize" Windows just to use pen. Why? Because pen input has its own advantages over touch (precision, writing) that you can't replicate with a finger.

Not to mention Windows already has plenty of applications that uses stylus because it definitely existed before modern smartphones are available, and also cool new ones like Drawboard and Staffpad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PgKyqE3RU. Also, the stylus ecosystem is much better because you aren't limited to devices by just one or few manufacturers like Android.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Coming from a Surface 3, OneNote + pen is a total game changer. But I agree in that Microsoft needs more apps that make the most of it in the phone space. Samsung has made a great job there, although I have to say that their apps are a bit of a mess to operate.

If properly done, OneNote plus Office plus Paint plus a tool to quickly take and edit screen captures could tie me to the Windows ecosystem for years.

Honestly, a good drawing app with pen support would be monumental.

Could use the pen in Edge too like on the Surface.

I still don't see the big deal about annotation in Edge. It's a nice gimmick, sure, but you could already do that with OneNote anyway, I think. They just integrated it now (which is always better than a separate plug-in, of course). But making it a standout feature? I don't know. If MS would hurry up with the Surface Pro 4, I could finally buy one and see what the fuss is about (because it's now really fun to use the pen on an old X61 tablet with W10).

Totakeke

I still don't see the big deal about annotation in Edge. It's a nice gimmick, sure, but you could already do that with OneNote anyway, I think. They just integrated it now (which is always better than a separate plug-in, of course). But making it a standout feature? I don't know. If MS would hurry up with the Surface Pro 4, I could finally buy one and see what the fuss is about (because it's now really fun to use the pen on an old X61 tablet with W10).

You can export PDF to OneNote too and annotate pdfs that way but it's a huge PITA and the experience is far worse than using something native like Drawboard. For one thing, it's images instead of the original format once it's imported into OneNote.

The only question about the edge annotation feature is whether people need and want to annotate on websites.

You can export PDF to OneNote too and annotate pdfs that way but it's a huge PITA and the experience is far worse than using something native like Drawboard. For one thing, it's images instead of the original format once it's imported into OneNote.

The only question about the edge annotation feature is whether people need and want to annotate on websites.

Like I said, an integrated experience is always better. And the last part is what I was getting at. But maybe it's really interesting for all the Surface Pro users in the enterprise. Because I don't see any other market for that.

Totakeke

Like I said, an integrated experience is always better. And the last part is what I was getting at. But maybe it's really interesting for all the Surface Pro users in the enterprise. Because I don't see any other market for that.

It's not only better, it's absolutely crucial for the use case to happen. I would not even bother annotating on pdfs if drawboard didn't exist. So the feature has to be built and advertised first before we know whether the market exists.

n64coder

José Mourinho;172852667 said:
Pen on Surface 3 is good but I'm imagining using it on my 930. Nope, you're alright, thanks.

I suck at drawing/writing so I never use the pen on my surface. But I could see it be handy for the few rare times I need to mark up something. I'm ok with using my finger/mouse pointer instead.

Imagine your 930 with another .7" diagonally. it's a fairly big jump
I read that as 7" and was wondering what size these phones were going to be!

I suck at drawing/writing so I never use the pen on my surface. But I could see it be handy for the few rare times I need to mark up something. I'm ok with using my finger/mouse pointer instead.
I pissed about with the pen for like a day and then never used it again. It's good, I just have no real use for it. Can't imagine wanting to carry it about with a phone though even if I used it.

Annotating on edge has one advantage in that it prints the whole webpage as a picture (or a crop if you so desire). The OneNote clipper plugin used to be similar to copy and pasting on many sites the formatting would be lost (in some it did an excellent job at extracting the important data from the webpage though).

It would be even better if somehow they could have the entire site, with working links and whatnot with annotations on top, but I think printing the entire site is better than what we have now.

But, I agree, it's not really an standout feature (specially because currently it crashes every time I try to save the annotation XD)

Edit, if you save it on edge I guess it does exactly that (annotating on top of the working page) but I prefer to export to OneNote.

Not having Verizon on board make me less optimistic about Sprint having a Windows phone option in the fall. There Windows phone options thus far have been abysmal. :/

Regarding the phones:
1. No triple flash on the smaller one is a bummer.
2. The power button placement is indeed odd and i foresee that leading to some frustration from users due to accidental button presses while adjusting volume.

The rest of it sounds great to me. The snapdragon 810 in the bigger brother is a little worrisome but I thought I read somewhere recently that there was an available or upcoming revision of the chipset to address the current issues.

They need to push these devices on every carrier.

kazinova

If it turns out that Verizon doesn't get these phones, then I'm pretty much immediately jumping ship to Cricket.

I'm already on the darkside of pay-as-you garbage services. Bring your own phone has a high initial investment but it pays off in the long term.

$40 for unlimited everything with the same service I was already getting? Um... yes, please?

this_guy

For Windows phone to succeed Microsoft needs to get Snapchat on board. Young people are using Facebook less (they still have a profile) and using Twitter and Snapchat more. This is only anecdotal of course.

giga

For Windows phone to succeed Microsoft needs to get Snapchat on board. Young people are using Facebook less (they still have a profile) and using Twitter and Snapchat more. This is only anecdotal of course.
It's not just about getting apps in the store, but about keeping the ones there updated alongside the other platforms. Instagram for WP is still in fucking BETA and hasn't been updated since March 2014. The store is a wasteland.

Doffen

I've never bought a phone on contract.

o6svUPn.gif

It's not like I'm qualified to do one either. I don't have a phone or tablet with Windows 10 and outside of my VM, the only actual hardware it's running on, is an old Thinkpad.
e: Not to mention that I'd make it sound like some of these annoying tech people would've written it.

I'm sure someone else will do a great job.

DEkys5M.gif

It's not just about getting apps in the store, but about keeping the ones there updated alongside the other platforms. Instagram for WP is still in fucking BETA and hasn't been updated since March 2014. The store is a wasteland.

Of course the biggest problem of Windows Phone is the app situation. But as it is a vicious cycle between developers and the number of devices in the wild, there's not much Microsoft can make beyond new flagships, better marketing and easing the development process.

Even if the focus of Nadella's Microsoft is productivity, they need the big mobile apps in Windows 10 so the store can be successful. And for them to keep updating, so we don't get another Instagram BETA thing.

JaggedSac

My wife likes 6tag better than the Android Instagram client. I don't use any of these services so I can't comment personally either way.

My wife likes 6tag better than the Android Instagram client. I don't use any of these services so I can't comment personally either way.
6tag and tubecast are way better than the official apps. I don't know what I'd do if I had to SI through commercials from the official YouTube app.

Top Bottom