• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Zeknurn

Surface Phone! Surface Phone! Surface Phone!
The Surface Phone isn't ready to be released this year and it's probably the 14" Surface.

Rubino's "what to expect" article with far more information is up.
http://www.windowscentral.com/what-expect-microsofts-windows-10-devices-event-nyc

Microsoft is going to have a huge day on October 6. In fact, this is going to be their biggest hardware push in their history. To recap:

Two new phones - Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL
Wearable - Band 2 wearable
Two new Surfaces – 12 and 14-inch versions
HoloLens
Windows 10 update and Windows 10 on Xbox One
Various accessories e.g. ProClear Speaker and more

Gimme the damn phone and let me trade my watch in -- it's been 2 months and it's peeling on me; not very impressive for a fitness band.

I mean, it's an AWESOME fitness band, but it could use some durability.

Doffen

Build 10536 rolling out now!

Improvements:

• Insider Hub is now included again!
  • Mobile hotspot functionality has been fixed.
  • Voice input has been updated to add support for Japanese and English (India) speech recognition.
  • Single hop updates are again available from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview for all devices.
  • Two-factor authentication is fixed when setting up a device for both text and phone authentication.
  • Start screen will successfully load instead of failing with “Loading …” displayed in a loop until device was rebooted. (We are still tracking down an issue were it may show “Loading …” for a few seconds.)
  • Quite Hours\Do Not Disturb has been fixed.
  • Delay in showing date and time on Lock screen has been improved.
  • Pinch and zoom in Maps now works as expected.

Known issues:

• After rebooting your phone, you won’t see notifications, such as new messages, until you unlock your phone. After that, you should see notifications for new messages just fine.
  • “zStorage” appears in the Settings app under System and clicking on it causes the Settings app to crash.
  • Camera upload to OneDrive may not be enabled based on prior settings. To fix this, make sure you are running the latest version of OneDrive by opening the top left navigation bar, then settings on the right to verify that camera upload is turned on and you have the latest app (version 17.2).
  • Insiders will not be able to move from Slow to Fast rings temporarily; we are working on a fix but in the interim to move a device from Slow to Fast you will need to use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to first start on Windows Phone 8.1 and opt directly into the Fast ring.
  • Additional languages for speech and keyboards won’t be available until tomorrow (9/15) and will error if you try to download. If you already have languages for speech and keyboards downloaded to your phone prior to upgrading, they will remain and available to use.

JaggedSac

So the lock screen content shows up instantly now. Unfortunately there is a flicker on it that is annoying. It shows up, goes away, and shows up again. Progress though, I guess.

EDIT: Interesting, there are two updates to go through. Probably shouldn't have done this second one 20 minutes before a conference call I have to get on.

KageMaru

I've been downloading the update for about 40 minutes now and it's still at 0%. Should this be taking this long?

Edit:

Nevermind its finally moving now.

joshschw

Not going to really comment on 10536 as it is still super rough and we've been over this time and time again. Only exception being that MS wrote a big section on the 10536 blog post about the updated Photos app and it still is absolutely atrocious and not useable.

I found this nifty little glitch when it went haywire before going to the .0004 revision:

MSFvGAr.png

It was the lockscreen showing up in the task manager view. "Windows Default Lock..."
I think this points towards custom - real ones this time, hopefully - lock screens.

Store downloading a new runtime package? I thought this was interesting. Side note, not sure if it is a glitch or not, but why are the Outlook apps 339MB??

Also, my android apps stopped loading. They just crash before getting into the actual app.

AT&T Exclusivity would be a giant middle finger to any Windows Phone fans still around that aren't using AT&T. That being said it wouldn't surprise me since Verizon and Sprint have pretty much given up on WP and I think T-Mobile's been known to pull their WP models off shelves after a period of not selling.

Broman1978

So after installing the new 10 Preview, my Twitter app is missing and yet it says in the store that Twitter is already installed on the phone.. wtf?

AT&T Exclusivity would be a giant middle finger to any Windows Phone fans still around that aren't using AT&T. That being said it wouldn't surprise me since Verizon and Sprint have pretty much given up on WP and I think T-Mobile's been known to pull their WP models off shelves after a period of not selling.

Again, AT&T exclusivity is most likely because no one else wants to carry the phones.

The latest build is a big improvement on the last.

The lock screen still has a touch of lag but much quicker, Store is more responsive and everything in general feels snappy.

Only thing that still stands out is accessing favourites from Edge, it seems to pause for 5+ seconds before loading. Not every time though.

So, looking at the blog post about the new update I guess that the 40mp+ PureView dream is officially dead?

They are telling 1020 to either go back to 8.1, or wait until launch when they will have the old app available at the store.

But the new camera app already supports all current Lumina Camera features except raw and 41mp support (and living images, that they do make a mention it's coming). If they are not adding those back then it's for sure because they don't plan to have any other cell phone coming up that make use of the features.

KageMaru

Not going to really comment on 10536 as it is still super rough and we've been over this time and time again. Only exception being that MS wrote a big section on the 10536 blog post about the updated Photos app and it still is absolutely atrocious and not useable.

I found this nifty little glitch when it went haywire before going to the .0004 revision:

It was the lockscreen showing up in the task manager view. "Windows Default Lock..."
I think this points towards custom - real ones this time, hopefully - lock screens.

Store downloading a new runtime package? I thought this was interesting. Side note, not sure if it is a glitch or not, but why are the Outlook apps 339MB??

Also, my android apps stopped loading. They just crash before getting into the actual app.

I've had those issues since installing the last build. Really hope they crunch to get this thing ready for November. This update is an improvement but time will tell if the performance goes to shit after a few weeks like the last build. Even running how it is now, the performance isn't there yet.

This is funny*. Just finished the two updates, but my lock screen is still stuck on loading for over a hour now :(

And I'm definitely on 10536.1004, just checked.

*Not really

Edit: Not sure if the speed will kick on once it finishes doing some of the background stuff, but so far it's slower than any other win10 mobile build for me. Resuming screens everywhere, even invoking task switcher and going back to the app I had opened makes the app resume. And the start screen finally appeared, but it's sluggishly and takes a few seconds for any app I tap to even attempt to start running.

If there's multi-carrier option why even bother.

By the way, just my luck, my phone is stuck in a reboot loop. I got a message today that encouraged updating now or by September 18th I think. I opted to do it today. After waiting a while I got a frown and my phone has been stuck in a reboot loop ever since. It attempts to install the update immediately after reboot but after a few seconds it reboot again.

Halp!

their models need to be like the new Moto X, unlocked phones to work with every carrier. also, focus on carriers/retailers like cricket, metro, walmart, etc where cost is king and the new 550 model will do very well.

Like I've mentioned in other threads, I don't have any inside info on specifics including whatever carrier ties there might be. All I hope is that, if the phones are tied to AT&T, Microsoft finally starts also selling everything unlocked through Microsoft Stores.

After this disastrous Lumia 830 debacle, there's no way in fuck I'm ever buying a Lumia tied to AT&T again.

So I have been using an icon that I bought used off craigslist for 3 months now. I have a free upgrade waiting at verizon but I wanted to wait until the new phones are announced. If they really are AT&T exclusive I will probably just give up and get an android phone. Verizon has the best coverage in my area and they also give a discount to teachers. I really hope that MS doesnt screw over the people that support their products by making the new phones carrier exclusive.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We are saved.

If you're getting excited about the upcoming Windows Phone flagship from Microsoft you probably don't want to hear about another mid-ranger, but here it is. The Microsoft Lumia 550 has cropped up in a Swiss store for CHF 114 ($117/€104) and it could become the first of the 5-series to support LTE.

Specs for the phone (RM-1127 and RM-1128, probably the single and dual-SIM versions) show a Snapdragon 210 chipset (quad A53 at 1.1GHz plus Adreno 304) and a 4.7" screen with 720 x 1,280px resolution. The phone is listed with 8GB of storage and will launch with Windows 10 Mobile.

God.

these aren't "exclusive" due to some microsoft att business deal. they're exclusive by default because no one else wants their phones. other carriers will probably carry the 550 and 850 to satisfy frugal and business customers.

hadareud

The Translator

Well that's not the worst thing.

It was always obvious that they needed to keep one budget phone in their portfolio. If it really is just the one.

Budget (5)
Mid-range/business (8)
High end (9)
Specialty phone (x86? camera?) (10?)

That and a phablet of each one of them and they're set.

Maybe leave out the mid-range option too.

Klocker

new build seems super stable compared to last, quiet hours works, new photo app update is nice...

almost ready to put on my daily driver but will wait one more build

And they added large phone one handed mode to all phones..
One-handed mode: When we introduced one-handed mode for larger phones, we heard feedback saying many Insiders would like it even on smaller devices. In this build, we have also enabled the ability to use one-handed mode on all phones which can be enabled by pressing and holding the Start button. When you do this, your screen will slide down so you can reach items at the top of your screen

new build seems super stable compared to last, quiet hours works, new photo app update is nice...

almost ready to put on my daily driver but will wait one more build

And they added large phone one handed mode to all phones..

ugh, one-handed mode is sooooo ugly.

Probably really useful for those phablets though.

Top Bottom