• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I work in education, and MS got in pretty early with surface and now has a solid hold in a lot of districts. Even districts that originally went iPad, like ours, moved away and are now going to surface because the iPads were not conducive to productivity. I doubt they'll give the pro a shot. Especially with the way apple priced the pro. Why would you spend that extra per unit cost on a pro when the same outlay gets you the full kit on surface?

JaggedSac

Enterprises deploy and sideload their own apps. It's even supported by Apple.

I work for a rather large enterprise and there are no apps written for iOS that we use.

Bigger question I have is, is ActiveX supported in iOS? We have a ton of browser based shit that was developed with ActiveX that is essential.

NeOak

I work for a rather large enterprise and there are no apps written for iOS that we use.

Bigger question I have is, is ActiveX supported in iOS? We have a ton of browser based shit that was developed with ActiveX that is essential.
Like Flash: Nope.

The iPad pro is confusing as hell, since it's in that weird zone where it leapfrogs the basic shit into the advanced shit. You need a proper OS way before you need the pen support if it's for "pro" usage. And don't get me started on laughable the keyboard is.

mm04

Same here. 40k+ employees. We're not building jack shit for iOS. We're now rolling out thousands of Dell E7450s with the choice of Win7 or 8.1 as part of our employee hardware refresh. 10 support is on the horizon. There isn't a lot of room for something as limited as an iPad or Pro version. Not on the company's dime there isn't.

NeOak

I know AT&T gives iPads to their technicians. I bet they aren't looking forward to having a bigger tablet with all the stuff they already carry.

JaggedSac

Same here. 40k+ employees. We're not building jack shit for iOS. We're now rolling out thousands of Dell E7450s with the choice of Win7 or 8.1 as part of our employee hardware refresh. 10 support is on the horizon. There isn't a lot of room for something as limited as an iPad or Pro version. Not on the company's dime there isn't.

400k employees here. Of course, 300k of those are not working in offices, but we have a large number that do. They are giving everyone Lenovo T440p's here for a while now. They set everyone up decently with a dock and two monitors.

Have there been any reliable leaks or rumors re: SP4?

Two sizes, 12 and 14 inch. Skylake. Windows Hello. Will work with existing accessories. Tom says they will be thinner.

The iPad pro is confusing as hell, since it's in that weird zone where it leapfrogs the basic shit into the advanced shit. You need a proper OS way before you need the pen support if it's for "pro" usage. And don't get me started on laughable the keyboard is.

Depends on the use case, honestly. People who live in apps (Snapchat, Instagtam, Tinder etc.) are going to want a machine that can do all that and more. A Surface running Windows doesn't really cater to that (very sizable) crowd right now. A Surface can do 'more', but perversely, it struggles with 'less'.

Coming from a SP1, RT and SP3 owner. Although I think for most people a Surface 3 or Lenovo Miix 3 beats it all ends up, as long as it's running Windows 8 and not Windows 10.

mm04

Pro 2 is smaller (and still a very good machine).

I roll with a Surface Pro 2 refurb purchased from Microsoft on eBay. Got it for $600 with a type pad and a year warranty. I always get asked by fellow travelers on planes about it because it runs a REAL OS and applications. Not apps. Looking in jealousy as they bust out their laptops and iPads/Android tablets at the same time, like there's any room on the seat tray for that. IMO, refurb Surface Pro 2s are the way to go if you can get a good deal on them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Microsoft really nailed the surface pro line.
The surface RT and that fucking marketing dancing school girls and business people >.>

Paganmoon

You can have windows apps everywhere lost their appeal now that you can have apple apps in the same family of devices.

Windows or Lumia apps were never the draw for me to get onto WP or Surface. It was the design of the hardware, and the OS. But since the design of the hardware is goin the way of the dodo, Android and the Xperia Z5, or Galaxy S6 Edge are looking mighty fine.

Microsoft better have something great up it's sleeve come October.

Two sizes, 12 and 14 inch. Skylake. Windows Hello. Will work with existing accessories. Tom says they will be thinner.

Hopefully they'll still refresh the dock. Not enough connections on it. If it's going to be any kind of success at my place of work, the dock absolutely has to have 2 monitor connections. (yes yes, USB3.0 hub, but it complicates things for our users).

NeOak

Hopefully they'll still refresh the dock. Not enough connections on it. If it's going to be any kind of success at my place of work, the dock absolutely has to have 2 monitor connections. (yes yes, USB3.0 hub, but it complicates things for our users).
How about a MST DP hub?

The dock is certainly lacking (although you can daisy-chain for two external monitors). My work usually recommends a standard plug in hub for Surface users instead of Microsoft's dock.

I'm not sure how universal apps lost their appeal in light of Apple's announcement.

The vast majority of business machines will remain Windows for the next few years no matter how successful the new iPad is. If these machines are updated to W10 at a good rate (and it seems that the adoption rate is decent), there's a massive amount of users to develop for on Windows, too.

I mean, I'm not ruling out Apple taking over the business world and Windows dying a painful death, but if that happens it's not going to happen overnight.

Well, I'm obviously guessing but since the biggest appeal was to have a single app available on all kinds of devices is becoming lessened now that Apple is offering the same options for devs to develop their apps on.

Obviously, Ms developed something really special and powerful that allows a single app to adapt, and apple didn't provide a similar framework but now they have a different OS for all those devices... Windows 10 might suffer the same fate as windows phone: "Why would I develop this app for a Win10 device when I can port my ios app to the apple equivalent OS? If you want to use our app on said device, get the apple version of them".

Of course, windows 10 will have a massive user base, but that's not guarantee that this base will consume apps, look at w8 for instance. (Though that's kinda a chicken/egg situation as there isn't many worthwhile apps) And even though the OS is nearing 100 million users, as of now many major players simply didn't bother in updating their apps to win10, but them again, their apps were seemed abandoned months ago...

KageMaru

Was told that I'll need to use a different email client since the Outlook app stores credentials in their cloud server, which my company sees as a security risk. I looked at other mail apps but they all look so generic. Anyone have any suggestions for an email app that supports active sync?

nubbe

What is Microsoft doing about the Pokemon Go crisis?
They need to put top people on it immediately or this platform is deader than dead

What is Microsoft doing about the Pokemon Go crisis?
They need to put top people on it immediately or this platform is deader than dead

image.php

Those are not bad points at all, but I think he misses the main point of concern for windows mobile: We aren't in January for an OS that launches almost an year later, we are at most two months away from it, and still feels so incomplete. And worse, we are supposedly seeing very fresh code, that is given to us as soon as it passes the stability checks they have internally.

Also, there's the sentiment that Ms is just late to the party they started themselves. They revealed many of their products and ideas years ago, and now are getting beaten to the punch months before they can deliver on their promises.

Yes, the insider program is awesome, and it's great to see the OS being shaped, but there's has been very little progress throughout the year, and now there's almost no time left.

Ironically what did comfort me a bit regarding how complete WP will be when it launches, was seeing the same bugs happening on the desktop and my phone, which implies they are actually way closer than I was giving credit for, so there's a great chance that when something is fixed on desktop it will automatically be fixed on mobile too.

MCD

not only it's incomplete, most of the new features are just tidying things up left and right.

it's another reboot with with more APIs. yay!

kazinova

"Oh, there's Bill Belichick on his iPad" - Al Michaels

Clearly a Surface. I can't believe iPad is the Kleenex of tablets. Such a stupid name for a product.

NFL season is back, the announcers need to be reminded of the branding they're supposed þo use again...

not only it's incomplete, most of the new features are just tidying things up left and right.

it's another reboot with with more APIs. yay!

Are you saying that Windows mobile is now in the same cycle as big Win and only every other version is good?

7 sucked
7.5 good
8 sucked
8.1 good
10 sucks
vNext good?

"Oh, there's Bill Belichick on his iPad" - Al Michaels

Clearly a Surface. I can't believe iPad is the Kleenex of tablets. Such a stupid name for a product.

NFL season is back, the announcers need to be reminded of the branding they're supposed þo use again...

Yeah, there's no coming back from this. They can try to make it work, but much like bing or "bing it", it won't stick.

ty_hot

My gf's 520 is annoying us. We left the Insider Program and it still tries to install the preview build everyday (and everyday it doesnt install for some problem that even Microsoft doesnt know the meaning). We dont know what to do =| I tried leaving the program more than once, even got confirmation message about it and still it tries to update.

KageMaru

My gf's 520 is annoying us. We left the Insider Program and it still tries to install the preview build everyday (and everyday it doesnt install for some problem that even Microsoft doesnt know the meaning). We dont know what to do =| I tried leaving the program more than once, even got confirmation message about it and still it tries to update.

Have you tried to factory reset the phone?

I noticed tons of m pictures weren't uploaded to onedrive automatically (despite I even chosing to upload on limited connections to make sure I would never miss anything), so I go to the onedrive app and manually mark a few hundreds pictures to upload... Only to be greeted with a message that many of them couldn't be uploaded and I have to try again, with only their name so I have no choice other than go over them all over again and upload one by one.

Office lens is being completely unreliable too, some of the items I uploaded to onenote appear in the search results on the desktop app, but when I try to open the page says it no longer exists. And if I go to it through the office lens app it opens the onenote mobile but on a blank notebook saying I have to login again to be able to access that note, but obviously, when I try to log in the app crashes.

Okay, I know this is a beta, but one would assume the basic functions would be working properly, or at least not be completely broken a month or two away from release XD

Tablo

looks alright on 930 for not being final.
more curious on how its going to run on snapdragon 400 1gbram since that's a lot of their devices.

Just bought an Acer Switch tablet with 64gb, 2gb of ram, and keyboard for $240. It's kinda in between the old Asus T100 and the new sexy T100 Chi. It should fit my wife's needs and I know I multi-tasking and browser tabs are gonna be limited.

Question is, should I upgrade to Windows 10 immediately? The included keyboard has a full sized USB so if I upgrade I'm hoping things like my printers and drives will work without a hitch.

Top Bottom