• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Montresor

I got fucked recently.

My Nokia Lumia 1520 got into bad shape 2 weeks ago. The handset microphone stopped working, so people couldn't hear me during phone calls unless I put the phone on speaker. And sometimes (not all the time) the speakerphone on the back didn't work well when watching Youtube or Netflix. So I took my phone to a shop for a repair. The agreement was that they would perform a diagnostic for $25 to determine what would be the cost of a full repair. If any repairs are decided, then the $25 diagnostic becomes incorporated into the full repair cost. That's fair.

They performed a "diagnostic" and determined that to fix the phone I would have to pay $500 to replace the motherboard. No big deal though - I'm not going to pay that money to replace the motherboard. My thought process was I'll pay the $25 for their diagnostic, and then take my phone back in the same condition that they received it.

But they claim that when they received the phone, the buttons (Back button, Windows button, Search button) were not working. So when they gave me back the phone, it did not have working buttons... the phone has essentially become useless. The previous problems (microphone and speakerphone problems) were annoying yet manageable and tolerable problems. But non-working buttons is too much.

Right now the phone is still in their possession and they won't give it back to me unless I pay the $25 diagnostic fee to get it back. But they want me to pay $25 for the diagnostic and aren't going to do anything about the broken buttons. I think I'm justified in saying I'll pay the $25 diagnostic fee only if they fix the buttons... I've decided that I'm not going to pay the $25 and just leave the phone with them indefinitely, but I'm making a trip to their shop next week to go perform a factory default on the phone (buttons don't work but I should still be able to navigate to Settings and do a factory default since the touch screen works). Would that be a smart thing, to factory reset the phone and then give up on it? I've argued with the repair shop verbally and sent a lengthy email letting them know the wrong that they committed, but they are not budging - "when we received the phone it had broken buttons already - pay us $25 to get your phone back".

Anyway, what has really got me pissed off is that I went to get a new phone from my carrier Fido and the newest and only Windows phone available is the friggin Lumia 830 which was released LAST YEAR and which is worse in almost every way imaginable than my Lumia 1520. The only good thing about the 830 from what I can tell is that it is smaller and has a removable battery. But man, I'm really disappointed I was forced to use my zero-dollar phone chit on the Lumia 830. I already have a Galaxy S5 phone thanks to work so I wasn't going to get another Android. And iPhones... *shudder*, you still need iTunes to grab files from an iPhone, so no thanks. You'd think by now they would have a nice upgrade over the 1520 but they don't. =/

hadareud

The Translator
I got the new build Friday night btw.

When I say I got it, it downloaded and there was an installation error. Now the update isn't showing anymore.

Which is a good thing, considering it would have been a pain in the arse with the no upgrade bug in the build.

hadareud

The Translator
Which notifications aren't working for you?

They said it should be out early this week with another new build to follow a few days later, btw.

edit:

Gabriel Aul
‏@GabeAul

I have some bad news folks. We discovered an issue late last night that would have caused builds *after* 10536 to not install over it.
4:19 PM - 11 Sep 2015

@GabeAul It is caused by our UpdateGen process which enables the build-to-build deltas.

@GabeAul The good news is we were already flighting the next build which has the Store fix, so we have that one close behind.

@GabeAul But the bad news is that it will be early next week, so no build today.

derFeef

I get the notifications in the center, but sounds, banners and so on are not working. I have to manually check, which is annoying. It may have to do something with the quiet hours settings I can't get to, though.

Doffen

Windows Phone |OT 10| We've massively retrenched
Windows Phone |OT 10| Same-same, but different. But still same.
Windows Phone |OT 10| We got Alcatel on our side!
Windows Phone |OT 10| MSFT third most supported mobile platform
Windows Phone |OT 10| Runs Android
Windows Phone |OT 10| Windows Mobile

hwalker84

I got fucked recently.

My Nokia Lumia 1520 got into bad shape 2 weeks ago. The handset microphone stopped working, so people couldn't hear me during phone calls unless I put the phone on speaker.
The exact same issue I had. Microsoft built in pre-programmed obsolescence?

Paganmoon

Yeah, but not about the time of the "pre-programmed" hardware failures :)

Also:
uLbC4ma.png

What in the what what?

Windows Phone |OT11| Never Compromise

Windows Phone |OT11| The Uncarrier

In other news, my mom lost her phone.She got a temporary unit after I said I was holding out to upgrade to a Microsoft Windows Phone 10 device with the plan for her to use my old phone when I upgraded. I didn't have the heart to tell her yet that it might never happen. I'm with Sprint...

Zeknurn

Thurrott: "I’ve not heard a thing about a new Surface mini, but I have heard more nebulously to expect a surprise from Surface. That could be anything, obviously. But I would love to hear about a Windows 10 Mobile-based Surface mini tablet."

dLMN8R

Like I've mentioned in other threads, I don't have any inside info on specifics including whatever carrier ties there might be. All I hope is that, if the phones are tied to AT&T, Microsoft finally starts also selling everything unlocked through Microsoft Stores.

After this disastrous Lumia 830 debacle, there's no way in fuck I'm ever buying a Lumia tied to AT&T again.

Heretic

Like I've mentioned in other threads, I don't have any inside info on specifics including whatever carrier ties there might be. All I hope is that, if the phones are tied to AT&T, Microsoft finally starts also selling everything unlocked through Microsoft Stores.

After this disastrous Lumia 830 debacle, there's no way in fuck I'm ever buying a Lumia tied to AT&T again.

I just don't understand why they don't see things like we do with these like this. It would be amazing if MS sold unlocked phones...

I just don't understand why they don't see things like we do with these like this. It would be amazing if MS sold unlocked phones...
It has to do with getting the carriers to buy in on promoting and pushing the devices. It's shitty for the consumer, but the way the carrier business is set up in the States, it seems to be the only get a carrier to carry and push your device when you have 3% marketshare.

But I'm not sure why that would prevent them from selling unlocked, unless that's also something that carrier demands are a part of exclusivity.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The possibility of a phone/band deal sounds good......unless you live outside the states. Will likely need to get someone.....to help me get a Band 2

Klocker

Until the carrier salespeople stop looking at potential customers as either iphone or Android owners and that windows phone is only a choice when you vehemently insist on buying one... WP will continue to be screwed.

It starts and ends with carrier perception and marketing focus.

I have to convince my ATT salespeople that no, I want to continue talking about this windows phone, stop taking me over to your Android shelf.

Until the carrier salespeople stop looking at potential customers as either iphone or Android owners and that windows phone is only a choice when you vehemently insist on buying one... WP will continue to be screwed.

It starts and ends with carrier perception and marketing focus.

I have to convince my ATT salespeople that no, I want to continue talking about this windows phone, stop taking me over to your Android shelf.

This has been a problem for the platform since the very beginning. We've had articles and explanations and whatnot. Even when we officially had this AT&T Premier Carrier bullshit. It's almost been five years. I just don't see how they're going to fix this.

Paganmoon

Thurrott: "I’ve not heard a thing about a new Surface mini, but I have heard more nebulously to expect a surprise from Surface. That could be anything, obviously. But I would love to hear about a Windows 10 Mobile-based Surface mini tablet."

Surface Phone! Surface Phone! Surface Phone!

The possibility of a phone/band deal sounds good......unless you live outside the states. Will likely need to get someone.....to help me get a Band 2

I'd love a phone/band combo. Band 2 most likely won't even be released in Sweden, probably in UK though.

Klocker

The only option is to pay them (more) money, I suspect.
Yep

Sadly there are many people who have no business using an Android phone. It is too complicated to engage compared to WP, it sucks battery and resources because many can not figure how to manage it, etc. Like my older mom or even my GF for example. There are plenty of people who have no idea how technology works will only customize the lock screen with a photo and just wants something that is easy to manage. Windows phone is perfect for them yet can also go deeper for power users.
At a fraction of the cost of an iPhone

Top Bottom