• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Anyone manage to get the skype integration working for the phone/people app?

When the skype preview hit the tech sites posted images and videos of it, but for me it's not integrated at all.

Someone else mentioned that the previous messaging app was deleted, but mine still has it, so i'm assuming i'll have to do a hard reset XD

JaggedSac

When the skype preview hit the tech sites posted images and videos of it, but for me it's not integrated at all.

Someone else mentioned that the previous messaging app was deleted, but mine still has it, so i'm assuming i'll have to do a hard reset XD

It hit mobile? Thought that was just desktop.

It hit mobile? Thought that was just desktop.

Yeah it did, there's a new messaging app that replaces the old one, an app dedicated to skype video, but also the new skype was supposed to hook up to people and photos apps and allow you to start a skype call from them.

This video show it working on the people app: https://youtu.be/NVQAixIHpAs?t=1m59s

On my people app, for contacts that I also have on skype I get the Start a video call link, but I don't get the link to change all number calls to skype like on that video (I also saw another video with that working, but like I said, no idea if it was from an emulator)

Treo360

Mine seems to work and is integrated, although it always seems to default to Skype to Skype calling

Mine seems to work and is integrated, although it always seems to default to Skype to Skype calling

That's actually what I wanted, lol.

It's way cheaper here to get a data only sim, and skype is working very well for me on the go, except for the terrible Wp app that doesn't even support pasting or editing a number, nor does it have search on contacts. Integrating to people and phones apps would be a god send.

Edit: Oh my god, how did they managed to make the photo experience even worse in this build? Now even the photos I shot take an eternity to show up (before it would be just screenshots). And editing and then saving a picture is also impossible because it takes 10 minutes just to save it.

derFeef

Notifications still not working. Don't really want to do a hard reset because of that. Do I have to enable banners (which I do not want) to get sound and/or vibrate?

toff74

So I took the plunge again and installed the latest WP10 build on my daily driver L920.

Its working pretty well with very few freezes. Only I'm missing 'installed' apps in all apps.

The only way to launch them is from the store.

Is this a known bug? or an undocumented feature?

edit:

Also the lock screen customise doesn't work at all.

Broman1978

So I took the plunge again and installed the latest WP10 build on my daily driver L920.

Its working pretty well with very few freezes. Only I'm missing 'installed' apps in all apps.

The only way to launch them is from the store.

I have the same problem with my Twitter app :(

Have the skype applications been formerly announced as a public beta? or is this still "unofficial"?

Still unofficial I guess, can't find it on the store unless I go through a direct link.

And also I hope it's not official because it won't integrate properly on my phone even after a hard reset :(

Thankfully, the hard reset did "fixed" the lock screen getting stuck forever in loading. Now instead of taking hours for it to appear it's taking about 5-10 minutes.

rolling back from 10 to 8.1. there were nice improvements like Edge no longer crashing but i need my Xbox Music back to download my music. Groove still doesn't allow you to transfer your subscription to carry over yet. rolling back is taking forever and i gotta go to work. times like this i wish i still had my 635 around as a back up. my 920 backup now has a busted sim card slot.

NeOak

Will W10 Mobile allow the customization of the Quick Access Buttons at the top of the notification screen?

I don't mean the standard 5 icons, I mean when you pull down the rest. I don't want to have tethering in there because I may activate it by mistake and lose my Unlimited Data on AT&T.

Now that 22GB is the new Soft cap for throttling, Continuum makes sense but if there is no way to prevent accidentally activating tethering, not bothering with W10 even on my 1520.

apparently Rudy Huyn got a job at dropbox as a lead on user-experience for their new (upcoming, I assume) w10 app

He was already doing the official Dropbox apps, but that explains him moving to SF. At least the city is a perfect match for him. I do wonder how long it will take until he gets absorbed by the Apple environment there.

Android Central has an article about close MS is to having an Android phone with all their services.

Well, they just bought another start-up that made an Android launcher, despite already offering one themselves.

Android Central has an article about close MS is to having an Android phone with all their services.
I think before going android they will try to get more OEMs to bundle their apps.

But he has a point, except for Groove, Ms has already a very nice range of apps on android, and they all support system features like widgets, which just add to how they are more complete there than on windows phone.

Hey, default Podcasts app, could you please stop deleting episodes I'm halfway through listening to just because a new episode comes out? Like, I have the app open and the episode is even still my currently playing file and shows up when you hit a volume key. But nope, delteated. ...it doesn't even download the new episode half the time!

maeh2k

I'd buy an Android Lumia. Wonder if they'd have Google Play installed, or pull an Amazon and fork AOSP.

To what end? Dropping Windows Phone seems like a good idea, since it's a waste of time and resources. However, forking Android by themselves wouldn't do them any good. The other OEMs aren't allowed to have both Google and non-Google Android devices. They still wouldn't get the apps and they'd still get faulted for the app situation in reviews. If they wanted to release an Android device, they'd basically have to get the Play store on there. Of course, then they'd also be forced to put every other Google app on there and place them rather prominently on the home screen. And then no one would use the Microsoft equivalents of popular Google services...

Microsoft just have to accept that they lost the mobile platform war. Any aspirations to attain a significant share of mobile are futile.

To what end? Dropping Windows Phone seems like a good idea, since it's a waste of time and resources. However, forking Android by themselves wouldn't do them any good. The other OEMs aren't allowed to have both Google and non-Google Android devices. They still wouldn't get the apps and they'd still get faulted for the app situation in reviews. If they wanted to release an Android device, they'd basically have to get the Play store on there. Of course, then they'd also be forced to put every other Google app on there and place them rather prominently on the home screen. And then no one would use the Microsoft equivalents of popular Google services...

Microsoft just have to accept that they lost the mobile platform war. Any aspirations to attain a significant share of mobile are futile.

Good thing Microsoft is an OEM.

And it'd be easier to get apps. Even the Amazon app store has Tinder and Instagram.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there a good (free) music app with equalizer/bass booster, or something like that?
Edit nvm figured out the phone has a program for this

derFeef

I am having a much better time with the new build on my 630. There are still too much loading screens and hiccups, but it's a good daily driver now.

derFeef

believe it or not my gf having problem with alarm on her L830, and she is running official 8.1, no beta software.

I had sound mute problems on 8.1 frm time to tome.
Like, sound did not play at all, ringtone etc. I used the locking sound as an indicator if it's bugged again. Reboot helped.

hadareud

The Translator
Groove music got updated, you can now explore the store again.

Yeah, important update. Without the store, it was pretty shit.

I really like the app btw. Yes there's still some annoying bugs as we've seen above and they also need to do something about the very annoying initial adding process, but it's definitely a lot better than Xbox Music on 8.1 once your music is there.

It also looks good imo:

OFtlyK9.png

j9LSFA7.png

2bAyHty.png

Top Bottom