• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

i'm reading everything here but won't install win10 shitty beta on my main phone so just having fun reading all the frustration.

kazinova

I'm going down with the ship. Unless they make a high end Lumia that runs vanilla Android with MS apps preinstalled. Then I'll be tempted, but until then. NEVER!!!

Ill just stay on bird for now. I don't use apps all that much, so as long es the browser and camera are solid, ill stay. I don't use google services anymore, so apple or random "no google android" would be my alternatives, and both are not too attractive to me.

Ill just stay on bird for now. I don't use apps all that much, so as long es the browser and camera are solid, ill stay. I don't use google services anymore, so apple or random "no google android" would be my alternatives, and both are not too attractive to me.

That's my same boat. IDGAF about apps, and if Astorea gives me a way to run the 2 that I care about anyway, I'm happy. To me a phone is a web browser, texter, camera, and phone dialer. And WP does all of those the best IMO.

Think he needs a tag: "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

Here's the thing, though, and the same applies to Thurrott or Warren.

They're negative, but not wrong. And that's what annoys most people. Just like when we all made fun of Blackberry, even though the few people who used it really liked it. Remember that? Windows Phone is in that position now.

JaggedSac

Here's the thing, though, and the same applies to Thurrott or Warren.

They're negative, but not wrong. And that's what annoys most people. Just like when we all made fun of Blackberry, even though the few people who used it really liked it. Remember that? Windows Phone is in that position now.

Now? It has always been in that position.

dLMN8R

Does anyone have a recommendation for a weather app that will do these specific things?
  • Enable me to show the Bing image of the day on the lock screen
  • Show the current weather + hourly forecast overlaid on top of that Bing image of the day
  • Automatically update the city for which weather is shown with my current location

Weather Flow used to do all of this but was discontinued earlier this year.

I'm currently using Amazing Weather which only does one of the three. It doesn't pull the Bing image of the day but rather a set of random images which repeat quite a bit, and it only stays on a static location instead of automatically updating to where I am.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for a weather app that will do these specific things?
  • Show the current weather + hourly forecast overlaid on top of that Bing image of the day
  • Automatically update the city for which weather is shown with my current location

I'm currently using Amazing Weather which only does one of the three. It doesn't pull the Bing image of the day but rather a set of random images which repeat quite a bit, and it only stays on a static location instead of automatically updating to where I am.

Appy Weather

amazing weather hd, it's my fave

Now? It has always been in that position.

Nah, there was definitely a more positive thinking about the platform. Market share was rising, went past Blackberry, doing good numbers in Europe.

It was always the Apple and Android die hards that bad mouthed it. But at least you had arguments that the platform was actually doing things better than the competition, even if no one used it. Camera experience, deep links for app functions, hubs, SkyDrive integration.

What's left now, other than Live Tiles?

Zeknurn

Did they remove the Bing Daily image option from Amazing Weather? I'm pretty sure it used to have it.

dLMN8R

Did they remove the Bing Daily image option from Amazing Weather? I'm pretty sure it used to have it.

When I look under background image in Amazing Weather HD, I see these to pick from:

-Amazing Weather
-Random - Daily
-Custom Image
-Local Album

Random is good and has some nice pictures, but they start repeating fairly quickly and are not the Bing images.

Zeknurn

When I look under background image in Amazing Weather HD, I see these to pick from:

-Amazing Weather
-Random - Daily
-Custom Image
-Local Album

Random is good and has some nice pictures, but they start repeating fairly quickly and are not the Bing images.

Yeah I just checked as well and you're right. That's too bad.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm still using my Nokia 920 almost 3 years later. I have to say in terms of OS updates and hardware reliability this probaly the best phone I've ever had again from a hardware perspective. Best of all the updates have improved the phone (Facebook de-integration aside) rather than slowing performance.

With that said I'll probaly be going back to IOS. I gave Microsoft a chance but the app situation has been a gigantic disappointment.

JaggedSac

Nah, there was definitely a more positive thinking about the platform. Market share was rising, went past Blackberry, doing good numbers in Europe.

It was always the Apple and Android die hards that bad mouthed it. But at least you had arguments that the platform was actually doing things better than the competition, even if no one used it. Camera experience, deep links for app functions, hubs, SkyDrive integration.

What's left now, other than Live Tiles?

Market share was always slow and piddling, and it wasn't so much of WP passing Blackberry, but Blackberry falling below WP. It was pretty quickly apparent that WP was never going to be a big player.

I still prefer the flow of using WP over other OS's. I don't like using my wife's S6 at all. Maybe that is on Samsung and not Android itself though. Tiles are a big portion of that flow, at least visually, which is important to me. Especially since I use practically no 3rd party apps on a daily basis.

Liberty4all

Banned
Market share was always slow and piddling, and it wasn't so much of WP passing Blackberry, but Blackberry falling below WP. It was pretty quickly apparent that WP was never going to be a big player.

I still prefer the flow of using WP over other OS's. I don't like using my wife's S6 at all. Maybe that is on Samsung and not Android itself though. Tiles are a big portion of that flow, at least visually, which is important to me. Especially since I use practically no 3rd party apps on a daily basis.

I agree about tiles. Live tile updates, everything on one screen, the customizability of that screen, yet simplicity of the OS is what I'll miss. But in tired of being a second class citizen when it comes to apps. Instagram in particular which I use daily still can't do videos. It's ridiculous.

I'm not saying there's no reason to use Windows Phone or no reason to be happy with it. But it's understandable that people get tired of it, after years of pissing away the potential and promise. Sometimes you just want to join the winning team and not worry about anything.

RM8

Now that iPhones are massive, I wouldn't completely rule out going back to either Android or Windows Phone, but it seems like Lumias are in a similar situation. If I want a small phone, it's going to have mediocre specs :( Something like my old Lumia 800 just doesn't make sense in today's market, I guess. I loved that phone so much.

Tomcat

-Amazing Weather
-Random - Daily
-Custom Image
-Local Album

That annoys me too. Checking Abby looks really good. Heard that there was going to be a new version for amazing weather but don't know what happened. Hope they didn't abandoned it.

JaggedSac

I'm not saying there's no reason to use Windows Phone or no reason to be happy with it. But it's understandable that people get tired of it, after years of pissing away the potential and promise. Sometimes you just want to join the winning team and not worry about anything.

Absolutely. 5 years hoping a fool's hope that 3rd party devs will develop for the system is certainly more time than I would spend if I cared about such things.

Absolutely. 5 years hoping a fool's hope that 3rd party devs will develop for the system is certainly more time than I would spend if I cared about such things.
My first WP was the 620 which I think it came out in January 2013. I've had two more since and bought my mother a 640. Approaching three years of usage and I can't deal with it anymore. A year or so ago, just before I got my 930, I said I was for jumping ship. Wish I had of done back then.

I honestly can't see 10 bringing anything of note to the table. It wouldn't even have been so bad had they actually managed to get it out in timely fashion, but no. Instead, by the time the new horrible looking phones come out everybody and their dog will have a 6S or S6 and MS will struggle to pick up the scraps with their new old phone OS which has had every unique and decent feature they ever developed long plundered.

Milchmann

I use Forecast. Should do everything you listed.

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;179262172 said:
My first WP was the 620 which I think it came out in January 2013. I've had two more since and bought my mother a 640. Approaching three years of usage and I can't deal with it anymore. A year or so ago, just before I got my 930, I said I was for jumping ship. Wish I had of done back then.

I honestly can't see 10 bringing anything of note to the table. It wouldn't even have been so bad had they actually managed to get it out in timely fashion, but no. Instead, by the time the new horrible looking phones come out everybody and their dog will have a 6S or S6 and MS will struggle to pick up the scraps with their new old phone OS which has had every unique and decent feature they ever developed long plundered.

Lol, you jumped onto the ship 3 years after it launched, when everyone was fully aware that it was floundering.

Lol, you jumped onto the ship 3 years after it launched, when everyone was fully aware that it was floundering.
Why is that lol?

Why not give it a go? 8 had only been out a few months. If it was floundering then then it's dead and buried now, so why is everybody still here?

WP was barely on my radar. I was on Android and decided to give it a go because I liked the improvements I saw over 7 -- from what little I knew about 7.

*shrug*

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;179282228 said:
Why is that lol?

Why not give it a go? 8 had only been out a few months. If it was floundering then then it's dead and buried now, so why is everybody still here?

WP was barely on my radar. I was on Android and decided to give it a go because I liked the improvements I saw over 7 -- from what little I knew about 7.

*shrug*

Everybody? There are like 8 of us, lol ;)

I'm not busting your chops, though. Just saying that the problems that the platform is facing now, are the same ones it faced when you jumped on board.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would have switched back to WP, but my 930 just died. Now I'm scared of selling it because it didn't have a pin lock and these things have been known to randomly come back to life. What can I do?

Hey lastflowers, is there anyone that you know that could help me? I don't live near an MS store, and I can't do the online repair because it's not a phone sold in the US. :(

Microsoft needs to impress at its October event. I believe that a good part of the current userbase will decide if keeping within the Windows ecosystem is worth their time and money this year.

Magni

Piggy-backing on the weather app conversation, do any weather apps let you override your unit preferences for particular cities? I spend my time between the US, Japan, and France, and I'd rather see Fahrenheit for the US and Celsius for everything else.

ATT/MS took Update 2 Denim off the recovery tool. WPCentral 830 forums are desperately trying to share the 2gb file to load up in the recovery tool.

giga

What on earth. Are you guys still being negative? Seems like I'm one of the few who thinks Microsoft will play a big role in the future of mobile..

..by providing software and services to other platforms.

Top Bottom