• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yeah, sad about the squandered potential of the 1020. Didn't their lead camera guy leave for Apple like 2 years ago? Guess he didn't want to sit on his hands this whole time since a new flagship was not priority for a while.

derFeef

I could use a new build... recent update screwed everything for me, ugh. Everything is so slow and constant app crashes are no fun.

hadareud

The Translator
Yep, same here. I had to reset this morning.
-----

Speaking of ugly phones:

VyPJizd.jpg

DUFPiZ2.jpg

Looks awful, like an electric shaver from when I was a child.

DsfeXBb.jpg

Is hardly looking better than the 950s either.

It might.

But it also might not be available for free through carriers on a contract, while the 950 might be (in Europe).

But the Nexus line might not need to sell a lot to survive or make a dent into the market.

Which Nexus is the hammerhead? The phablet or the regular sized one? That's one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen. Unbelievable.

The plablet is Hammerhead. The Huawei Nexus 6P.

hadareud

The Translator
But the Nexus line might not need to sell a lot to survive or make a dent into the market.

Yes, but we might still not know the official pricing of the 950 either.

By the way, I don't think the 5X is ugly either. Just like the 950s, it's bland.

might

ElNino

A little bit late to the discussion, but personally on a phone like the 1020, where the camera was so standout, I actually liked the camera hump. It made you pay attention to the part worth paying attention to.
Yep, I'm still using the 1020 as my daily phone. Battery life has deteriorated a bit lately and it's starting to show it's age... but I've yet to come across a phone that was exciting enough for me to switch.

I'm hoping for the 950XL to be nice, as I'd rather not need to consider the iPhone 6s/6s+.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, I'm still using the 1020 as my daily phone. Battery life has deteriorated a bit lately and it's starting to show it's age... but I've yet to come across a phone that was exciting enough for me to switch.

I'm hoping for the 950XL to be nice, as I'd rather not need to consider the iPhone 6s/6s+.

The price of the 6s/6s+ in Canada puts it out of consideration for me.

ElNino

The price of the 6s/6s+ in Canada puts it out of consideration for me.
Yeah, even on my corporate plan the 64GB models of the 6s/6s+ would be ~$550-$700 on contract.

The 32/64GB models of the Samsung S6 are $150/$250 for me, so hopefully the 950/950XL are closer to the S6 than iPhone pricing.

Are there any good looking phones on the market?

It's a matter of taste, of course. I'd probably like the Moto X, if the front facing speakers weren't so ugly. The previous Nexus 5 is pretty bland as well, but the neon red color choice saved it for me. What else is out there? Galaxy S6? Ruined by the back. LG G4? Mediocre. HTC M9? Way too tall for the screen size. Talking about huge bezels... The Xperia Z line really appeals to me and I'd definitely consider it, if it had wireless charging. The metal frame and general shape of the device, along with the symmetric bezels is something I really like. But if there's a Lumia I like even more than the 830, it's the 925. And if I had known how easy it is to mod wireless charging into that phone, I would've bought that over the 920.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

The iPhone looks nice I guess.

The antenna lines kinda ruin the look. Such a waste.

It's a matter of taste, of course. I'd probably like the Moto X, if the front facing speakers weren't so ugly. The previous Nexus 5 is pretty bland as well, but the neon red color choice saved it for me. What else is out there? Galaxy S6? Ruined by the back. LG G4? Mediocre. HTC M9? Way too tall for the screen size. Talking about huge bezels... The Xperia Z line really appeals to me and I'd definitely consider it, if it had wireless charging. The metal frame and general shape of the device, along with the symmetric bezels is something I really like. But if there's a Lumia I like even more than the 830, it's the 925. And if I had known how easy it is to mod wireless charging into that phone, I would've bought that over the 920.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

The antenna lines kinda ruin the look. Such a waste.
Always thought the 925 looked brutal and nothing like a Lumia.

José Mourinho;179726033 said:
Always thought the 925 looked brutal and nothing like a Lumia.

runbVBu.jpg

gfYNmKS.jpg

Couldn't disagree more.

But like I said, it's a matter of taste and everyone likes different things, which is great.

Much better looking.

Are there any flagship Lumias with removable backplates or casings? I like the color options on the 635 but it's creaky and feels cheap. What about the more expensive phones?

Booooooooo

Have you ever seen professional product renders with thousands of shitty lines that point to every little feature and hardware?

Except for some shady Chinese rip-off makers, of course. But even they stepped up their game.

Besides, I don't think a removable battery was ever confirmed for the XL.

I know those renders are not real but even Microsoft do a terrible job of making the OS look appealing when they produce official material. They always flood the start screen with tons of small tiles and it looks completely overloaded and distracting.

Edit: more so since moving to the three medium sizes tile columns.

hadareud

The Translator

Nothing has been confirmed of course, but a removeable battery was part of the rumoured/leaked specs on WC.

The renders are clearly fake, but they do confirm that a bit of colour would make a lot of difference to the look of the phones. I really hope that they have coloured back-plates available (at launch).

JaggedSac

Have you ever seen professional product renders with thousands of shitty lines that point to every little feature and hardware?

Except for some shady Chinese rip-off makers, of course. But even they stepped up their game.

Why on earth would they not have removable batteries when they have removable backs? That would be insane.

Nothing has been confirmed of course, but a removeable battery was part of the rumoured/leaked specs on WC.

The renders are clearly fake, but they do confirm that a bit of colour would make a lot of difference to the look of the phones. I really hope that they have coloured back-plates available (at launch).

Thanks, I didn't know the removable battery has been confirmed. It might be true, then.

Why on earth would they not have removable batteries when they have removable backs? That would be insane.

There are some phones with removable backs, but fixed batteries. OnePlus comes to mind. Most just hide their Sim and/or MicroSD slot there.

JaggedSac

A camera hump that big and still 20mp? Give me a true sucessor to 1020 please!

While that is a fan render and not likely the size of the hump, sensor size is more important than mp, and I didn't find the noise reduction algos to be that impressive on the 1020 really. What made it take better shots was certainly the large(by camera standards) sensor in there. Also, the number of mp directly impacts the shot to shot times since you are either downsampling or saving large raw files.

Top Bottom