• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doesn't sound too bad when you realize that for every 16 iphones someone buys a windows phone.

if they can replace the cheap phones with actual flagships and keep that number, id actually be quite happy for the brand

Alleged Lumia 550 spec sheet reveals more about upcoming budget Microsoft phone

CPwl77eUkAAFVJW.jpg

:-|

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That sinking feeling when you realize that you are pondering to buy a new BlackBerry device as a stopgap until the next Windows Phone flagship arrives.

JaggedSac

It's disappointing to the flagship trend of forgoing a SD card slot, but at least those phones are metallic. I'm not so sure if I can let it fly on a polycarbonate device.
Maybe Microsoft will offer a 64 GB version?

Also, how can the budget device have actual buttons instead of the flagship?

Rumors mentioned sd cards with the new devices, but those latest photo leaks pretty much confirm it is not there. Bit disappointing, but I will never get close to 32gb anyway.

And having been using a phone with on-screen buttons for a couple months, I could care less.

Suerte

Rumors mentioned sd cards with the new devices, but those latest photo leaks pretty much confirm it is not there. Bit disappointing, but I will never get close to 32gb anyway.

And having been using a phone with on-screen buttons for a couple months, I could care less.

950.jpg

Fingers crossed it does have microSD like all the rumours have indicated - it could have been mentioned on another slide, or along the bottom of that slide.

JaggedSac

Fingers crossed it does have microSD like all the rumours have indicated - it could have been mentioned on another slide, or along the bottom of that slide.

Only reason I say it isn't there, is because the 550 slide mentions it with the storage and ram.

joshschw

If you look up Lumia 950 cases there was some other 'leaked' renders as well. Found them the other day.

There is definitely that gaudy ring.

hankster

The 950 has the metallic ring, from the leaked renders.

microsoft-lumia-950-leaked-render.png

The 950 XL has the much smaller metallic ring.

microsoft-lumia-950xl-leaked-render.png
I was hoping one of the backs shown in that latest leaked slide set was the 950. This would mean even they are embarrassed by it and are trying to minimize / hide it.

In other news the Lumia Icon (in black) is $250 off contract at the Microsoft Store. Would it work on gsm / Cricket bands?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Verizon--Nokia-Lumia-Icon/productID.306508100

NeOak

I was hoping one of the backs shown in that latest leaked slide set was the 950. This would mean even they are embarrassed by it and are trying to minimize / hide it.

In other news the Lumia Icon (in black) is $250 off contract at the Microsoft Store. Would it work on gsm / Cricket bands?

It should work as a HSPA phone. no LTE though.

I keep going back and forth between excitement for the new phones and flirting with thoughts of moving to Android.

Same.

Really hope the new phones are priced below $250 (is this an unreasonable want?) though I'm really not holding my breath.

I bet the 950 will be $300 and the XL will be $400. DOA

Also I'm hoping there's an option to buy them unlocked.

Eh, if I cared about apps I probably would switch to Android, but really I just like having a beautiful MP3 player/web browser/ phone. I've got Locana to talk to my camera now so there's really nothing I feel I'm missing.

$300 for their flagship would be.... quite low. I'm not expecting that. Not to say I wouldn't be happy though. :)

hankster

Same.

Really hope the new phones are priced below $250 (is this an unreasonable want?) though I'm really not holding my breath.

I bet the 950 will be $300 and the XL will be $400. DOA

Also I'm hoping there's an option to buy them unlocked.
I would be shocked if they were that low. The 830 was $400 initially and these are big steps up from it.

Unlocked option is a must have for me though after the frustration at&t has caused me.

ty_hot

Where do you guys find new apps? Any sites/blogs?

I posted few weeks ago about the new Lumia's cameras, and now I changed my mind, at least about my 640. The image quality is quite good, focus work well... just the flash is terrible, but I can disable it most of the times. But the 532 camera is pure garbage, my mom needed to take a photo of one paper and everything was barely legible.

The battery life in WP is awesome. I had an HTC One X and at least 3 days per week I had battery problems (at 6pm already on 15% or so), any 30 minutes of usage meant a huge loss of battery. Now I use my 640 a lot more, the screen is bigger, I listen to music in the car using it, have 3g always on and when I go to sleep it usually have 30% to 40%. Sometimes I even forget to charge and it runs all night long without a problem so I can charge it in the morning (after being awake by its alarm). This is just unimaginable in an Android phone.

Where do you guys find new apps? Any sites/blogs?

I posted few weeks ago about the new Lumia's cameras, and now I changed my mind, at least about my 640. The image quality is quite good, focus work well... just the flash is terrible, but I can disable it most of the times. But the 532 camera is pure garbage, my mom needed to take a photo of one paper and everything was barely legible.

The battery life in WP is awesome. I had an HTC One X and at least 3 days per week I had battery problems (at 6pm already on 15% or so), any 30 minutes of usage meant a huge loss of battery. Now I use my 640 a lot more, the screen is bigger, I listen to music in the car using it, have 3g always on and when I go to sleep it usually have 30% to 40%. Sometimes I even forget to charge and it runs all night long without a problem so I can charge it in the morning (after being awake by its alarm). This is just unimaginable in an Android phone.

your experience is why my brother's in-laws all use WP (after seeing my sister in-law's).

Melon Husk

Is the 1020 still unrivaled in terms of camera and/or microphone quality?

As a follow-up, if it is, would you still recommend it? I've read somewhere that as good as it is, there's some camera lag due to WP software restrictions in interfacing with the hardware. Or should I just buy another 808?

dLMN8R

I'm in the middle of my yearly phone crisis cycle.

A couple weeks ago I was 99% sure I was going to get an iPhone this fall to replace my Lumia 830, and revisit Windows Phone in 1-2 years if it's stuck around and improved substantially. I've had an iPod Touch long enough that I'm already embedded in the iOS ecosystem and mostly enjoy using it.

But once again, after actually trying out the latest iPhones? Not so much.

• 3D Touch seems cool, but not really a game changer IMO
  • The built-in keyboard in iOS is still utter shit, especially the word suggestions which just fade in so slowly that they're pretty much useless
  • Third-party keyboard support doesn't seem much better, and nothing matches the Windows Phone keyboard anyway
  • I'd miss Glance terribly
  • I <3 the Windows Phone lock screen so much
  • I <3 wireless charging
  • I <3 Live Tiles

I've barely used Windows 10 Mobile at all so far, but as long as its performance and stability comes together, it'll be nice to finally have actionable notifications, a much better Outlook client, and whatever other features are there. And I'm hoping that Android app support helps fill the gaps a bit too.

So basically, I'm probably in for a Lumia 950 or 950 XL.

I'm in the middle of my yearly phone crisis cycle.

A couple weeks ago I was 99% sure I was going to get an iPhone this fall to replace my Lumia 830, and revisit Windows Phone in 1-2 years if it's stuck around and improved substantially. I've had an iPod Touch long enough that I'm already embedded in the iOS ecosystem and mostly enjoy using it.

But once again, after actually trying out the latest iPhones? Not so much.

• 3D Touch seems cool, but not really a game changer IMO
  • The built-in keyboard in iOS is still utter shit, especially the word suggestions which just fade in so slowly that they're pretty much useless
  • Third-party keyboard support doesn't seem much better, and nothing matches the Windows Phone keyboard anyway
  • I'd miss Glance terribly
  • I <3 the Windows Phone lock screen so much
  • I <3 wireless charging
  • I <3 Live Tiles

I've barely used Windows 10 Mobile at all so far, but as long as its performance and stability comes together, it'll be nice to finally have actionable notifications, a much better Outlook client, and whatever other features are there. And I'm hoping that Android app support helps fill the gaps a bit too.

So basically, I'm probably in for a Lumia 950 or 950 XL.

Yeah, ultimately I keep thinking I'll end up switching, then I look down at my beautiful Live Tiles and remember why I fell in love to begin with.

There's just so much about how WP just WORKS and works well that I can't be arsed to leave it. Android and iOS just feel like vehicles for apps, whereas Windows Phone just feels so complete on its own. The android app support will just be icing on the cake for the few gaps that I do find.

Have a to say, I virtually stopped using live tiles a while back so the move to iOS has been pretty straight forward. Found myself not needing instant data.

Top Bottom