• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

While that is a fan render and not likely the size of the hump, sensor size is more important than mp, and I didn't find the noise reduction algos to be that impressive on the 1020 really. What made it take better shots was certainly the large(by camera standards) sensor in there. Also, the number of mp directly impacts the shot to shot times since you are either downsampling or saving large raw files.

Preach it brah.

My a6000 "only" takes photos at 24MP but totally stomps anything on a phone, 1020 to be included. All about the sensor. MP is superfluous.

While that is a fan render and not likely the size of the hump, sensor size is more important than mp, and I didn't find the noise reduction algos to be that impressive on the 1020 really. What made it take better shots was certainly the large(by camera standards) sensor in there. Also, the number of mp directly impacts the shot to shot times since you are either downsampling or saving large raw files.

That's true, but part of what made the 1020 special was the ability to zoom in photos, not the zoom per se, but making adjusts that doesn't compromise the image quality. It would be sad to see that go.

But i really want a true sucessor of 1020, a big fat sensor, tons of megapixel for zooming in, xenon based flash and a processor that can handle the load.

That would be the perfect phone.

JaggedSac

That's true, but part of what made the 1020 special was the ability to zoom in photos, not the zoom per se, but making adjusts that doesn't compromise the image quality. It would be sad to see that go.

But i really want a true sucessor of 1020, a big fat sensor, tons of megapixel for zooming in, xenon based flash and a processor that can handle the load.

That would be the perfect phone.

Yep. Would buy in a heartbeat. Processor is what kept the 1020 from being the phone of forever.

One guy left? That was like 2 years ago. Since then MS has nearly fired all of the old Nokia staff. Many Nokia apps shutting down should tell you something. Also leaking that there's a Surface phone around the corner is also telling. Yes Pureview is dead. I am expecting all future Lumia/Surface phones to use off the shelf components like many phone makers. As long MS's flagships keep pace with iPhones, G4s, and GS6s then we should be grateful and not disappointed. There's going to be nothing "class leading" about Lumia now.

JaggedSac

One guy left? That was like 2 years ago. Since then MS has nearly fired all of the old Nokia staff. Many Nokia apps shutting down should tell you something. Also leaking that there's a Surface phone around the corner is also telling. Yes Pureview is dead. I am expecting all future Lumia/Surface phones to use off the shelf components like many phone makers. As long MS's flagships keep pace with iPhones, G4s, and GS6s then we should be grateful and not disappointed. There's going to be nothing "class leading" about Lumia now.

Those photo apps have zero to do with camera hardware/firmware engineering. Regardless, they are integrating the worthwhile stuff into the photos app itself.

Also, what Surface phone rumor? If there is a Surface phone, there will be no Lumia's now.

hadareud

The Translator
One of the main camera guys left.

The other one, who has been the "Head of Imaging technologies" and "Head of Camera technologies" at Nokia since 2011, the guy that has written the white paper on PureView, is the "Director, Technology Development" at MS. He also seems to be unaware that PureView is dead if you look at his Twitter and LinkedIn.

But how would he know these things.

JaggedSac

One of the main camera guys left.

The other one, who has been the "Head of Imaging technologies" and "Head of Camera technologies" at Nokia since 2011, the guy that has written the white paper on PureView, is the "Director, Technology Development" at MS. He also seems to be unaware that PureView is dead if you look at his Twitter and LinkedIn.

But how would he know these things.

Name please?

JaggedSac

Juha Alakarhu.

Thanks.

You negative nancies wont get me down.

lol https://twitter.com/jalakarhu
Developing cameras in Microsoft. https://instagram.com/jalakarhu/

linkedin:

Director, Technology Development
Microsoft
May 2014 – Present (1 year 5 months)

Heading Imaging Technology development team in Phones

Responsibilities include:
- Camera hardware design
- Imaging technologies development
- Imaging algorithms and image quality tuning
- Imaging system design
- Supporting overall imaging and application experience
- Public communications

Currently on a temporary assignment in WA, USA.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know why you guys keep harping on the 1020, when according to the Verge the camera wasn't even as good as the iPhone 5s'.

Today is the day I ascend to phone greatness and leave you shmucks in the iPhone dust.

If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone.

I wonder how long before I get frustrated with things like Airdrop and not standard Bluetooth support that every other manufacturer can bring themselves to implement.

10 preview should also be making a debut on my 930 today.

Caption this, WP GAF.

MOxOisg.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep, only WP does low power right. Still trying to figure out what to do. Might sit tight and just wait for a sale to make the choice for me, but I loathe this s6 so much. My wife is moving to iphone, but I've already spent $750 on a phone I hate, hard to justify spending that kind of money on phones twice in one year.

NeOak

man, i hope so. 950 hopefully can top both the 1020 and the 1520.

then again, i love my 830 so much that i'll probably hold on to that and wait until i get a 950 on discount... like a month after its release.
More like buy it from someone that has had it past the 14 days return window.

Should be able to get it at half price.

JaggedSac

man, i hope so. 950 hopefully can top both the 1020 and the 1520.

then again, i love my 830 so much that i'll probably hold on to that and wait until i get a 950 on discount... like a month after its release.

A month? It won't even be sold at retail that long after release.

kharma45

José Mourinho;179921504 said:
iPhone impressions: I miss my back button ;(

The new addition of the jump back in the top left almost makes up for it when you go into an app from anywhere bar the main launcher.

Top Bottom