• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Klocker

Do we know if the android app crossover will allow snap chat to be on WP or is it still at the discretion of the asshat keeping it off the platform?

Is the 1020 still unrivaled in terms of camera and/or microphone quality?

As a follow-up, if it is, would you still recommend it? I've read somewhere that as good as it is, there's some camera lag due to WP software restrictions in interfacing with the hardware. Or should I just buy another 808?

Get it over the 808. Even a fairly weak ecosystem like Windows Phone is positively vibrant compared to Symbian in 2015. You can also get a really cool (official) camera case, with a two-stage shutter button, tripod mount and battery built-in. Fully recommended if you do choose the 1020.

Lucius86

Banned
It's all up to the developers, so we wouldn't know.

But seeing WP10 insider preview code out there, has there been at least some movements so far towards developer code porting?

Basically since the original announcement I've seen nothing, and Windows 10 store apps aren't being greatly populated either.

But seeing WP10 insider preview code out there, has there been at least some movements so far towards developer code porting?

Basically since the original announcement I've seen nothing, and Windows 10 store apps aren't being greatly populated either.

I don't think the porting tools are finalized yet. They open sourced the iOS one, but the Android one is still under wraps. At least officially.

Lucius86

Banned
I don't think the porting tools are finalized yet. They open sourced the iOS one, but the Android one is still under wraps. At least officially.

Cool, thanks.

It's frustrating when all I want are core apps being ported, but without the tools how can Microsoft expect their Universal App Store to succeed, especially when Windows 10 has been out for a while I would have expected some headway by now.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but to me it's worrying. I can see myself next year going iPhone, which is mad (Android is boring me with it's inconsistencies).

kharma45

The new iPhones are great though. First one I've genuinely wanted in years. We all get one for work but one of the fellas in our mobile device team said they might not roll out the S models until next year : I'm going to assume/hope he's wrong as the 5S and 6 rolled out about 2 months after launch.

Lucius86

Banned
The new iPhones are great though. First one I've genuinely wanted in years. We all get one for work but one of the fellas in our mobile device team said they might not roll out the S models until next year : I'm going to assume/hope he's wrong as the 5S and 6 rolled out about 2 months after launch.

Yep. The 6S genuinely looks like a great high end handset.

kharma45

The only knocks against the 6S is the lack of OIS and the piddly battery. Other than that, top stuff. The Plus model is the one that I'd be after.

The only knocks against the 6S is the lack of OIS and the piddly battery. Other than that, top stuff. The Plus model is the one that I'd be after.
Been using mine flat out since I got it and found the battery life to be fine. Much better than my 930 which would never get me to the end of the day. Obviously we'll see how it holds up over time, but so far so good.

kharma45

Screen resolutions are also a bit odd and lack of OLED.

The 6S is an odd resolution. Screen still looks great though. Great viewing angles, bright and accurate.

José Mourinho;180069890 said:
Been using mine flat out since I got it and found the battery life to be fine. Much better than my 930 which would never get me to the end of the day. Obviously we'll see how it holds up over time, but so far so good.

Being on 14nm helps when the likes of Qualcomm are on 20nm. Truth be told so long as a phone will make it through a day for me I'm pleased.

hwalker84

Went out searching for a 6s plus 64GB Space Grey yesterday. This is what two years without a hero phone and uninspired leaked 950 images do.

maeh2k

It's frustrating when all I want are core apps being ported, but without the tools how can Microsoft expect their Universal App Store to succeed, especially when Windows 10 has been out for a while I would have expected some headway by now.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but to me it's worrying. I can see myself next year going iPhone, which is mad (Android is boring me with it's inconsistencies).

If there aren't any apps, there won't be any users. And if there aren't any users, there won't be any apps. Tough luck.

PC users don't seem to be adapting to the app store model. And why would they, when virtually everything they need happens in the browser.

José Mourinho;180069890 said:

THe 6 I had was great for the first month and now can barely make it to 7pm now ;(

JaggedSac

Is the 1020 still unrivaled in terms of camera and/or microphone quality?

As a follow-up, if it is, would you still recommend it? I've read somewhere that as good as it is, there's some camera lag due to WP software restrictions in interfacing with the hardware. Or should I just buy another 808?

I have a 1020 with a cracked screen you can have if you want it. Not sure if it is cheaper for you to fix or buy new though.

EDIT: Shattered screen would be more descriptive. Not usable without repair.

EDIT: Shit nevermind, had to send it in for insurance claim. Sorry.

Cool, thanks.

When you say core apps, what are you referring to? Core Android apps? Like Google's apps?

Suerte

950 render, not fan made apparently. Both the 950 and XL look much better in white from these leaks.

CP7saxoWwAAdUcp.jpg:large

Suerte

I'm just noticing the power button in between the volume buttons.

WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA

It's probably because it's going to be such a big phone it'll make it easier to reach the volume keys than it would if they were at the top of the phone - but yeah, could still be horrible.

It's probably because it's going to be such a big phone it'll make it easier to reach the volume keys than it would if they were at the top of the phone - but yeah, could still be horrible.

It's definitely going to get a lot of slack for it. At least in reviews.

kharma45

Move them down low like the Sony Z phones.

Completely understandable.

One of the phones doesn't come with Qi charging either, right?

I thought they both did going by a recent rumour? If not I just don't even know. The flagship spec game isn't hard. I worry. What eve happened the rumour that the camera sensor is the the 1520s recycled again?

Melon Husk

Get it over the 808. Even a fairly weak ecosystem like Windows Phone is positively vibrant compared to Symbian in 2015. You can also get a really cool (official) camera case, with a two-stage shutter button, tripod mount and battery built-in. Fully recommended if you do choose the 1020.

I have a 1020 with a cracked screen you can have if you want it. Not sure if it is cheaper for you to fix or buy new though.

EDIT: Shattered screen would be more descriptive. Not usable without repair.

EDIT: Shit nevermind, had to send it in for insurance claim. Sorry.

I appreciate your ephemeral thought nonetheless, ha.

I think I'll wait and see what the 950 is about. Call me a weirdo but I can dig the metal ring. 20 Megapixels is kinda poor but we'll see.

I think I'll wait and see what the 950 is about. Call me a weirdo but I can dig the metal ring. 20 Megapixels is kinda poor but we'll see.

Me and my friends are actually discussing why higher MP on a phone are harmful to the image taken, sooooo...

kharma45

I never replied to you 1020 post. I wouldn't get one. It's a good camera still but it's too slow to load the camera, too slow to shoot and from what I remember it got things like white balance wrong a lot. It's good if you put the effort in. Much easier to get nice photos from a 1520 or a 930 on WP, or even easier with an S6/G4/6S

hadareud

The Translator
In those new renders the phones look nowhere near as generic and bland as before imo. Still would have preferred them to build on the 930 design, but they're not ugly or anything.

Also, what Van said.

Probably November release if we are lucky.

A staggered release like all modern Microsoft hardware products.

That would be really annoying. It would be so much better and make more sense for Microsoft to have the phones ready for launch that week.

I'd love to see Apple turnaround times. They do it right. Announce it, open orders and release all within what, less than 2 weeks?

This would be great. I don't have a phone right now. Dropped my Icon for like the 100th time and it finally decided it wasn't going to work anymore.

Top Bottom