• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Rehynn

Sorry for not going back to read through the last few pages, but does 8.1 GDR1 improve battery life?

I'm not a fan of having to charge my 925 every day.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know why the Facebook and Calendar apps show up in multitasking view (I don't know what it's called in English, it's the screen you see if you keep pressing "back") even after I close them? I always have to close them again by dragging them off the screen.

derFeef

I am still having the weird visual bug where the whole screen is full of the magnifier icons for a short amount of time when you switch apps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I know, but I loved being able to take my 620 home for the weekend without a charger.

Grab a portable battery charger?

Although you don't have wireless charging, I like the look of the Nokia portable wireless charger - it charges a phone wirelessly, but can also be charged wirelessly. You can even do piggyback so you can charge a phone while the charger is charging.

Grab a portable battery charger?

Although you don't have wireless charging, I like the look of the Nokia portable wireless charger - it charges a phone wirelessly, but can also be charged wirelessly. You can even do piggyback so you can charge a phone while the charger is charging.

nHgqZlb.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
I am still having the weird visual bug where the whole screen is full of the magnifier icons for a short amount of time when you switch apps.

I think I have seen this as well, but it's for such a short space of time I haven't posted about it. But your right, it's there occasionally.

KageMaru

EDIT: Also, does anyone know why the Facebook and Calendar apps show up in multitasking view (I don't know what it's called in English, it's the screen you see if you keep pressing "back") even after I close them? I always have to close them again by dragging them off the screen.

I could be wrong but IIRC apps updated with 8.1 APIs can be suspended instead of closed completely when hitting the back button. If I'm right, I imagine they do this so the app opens faster the next time you open it from your start screen.

NeOak

I could be wrong but IIRC apps updated with 8.1 APIs can be suspended instead of closed completely when hitting the back button. If I'm right, I imagine they do this so the app opens faster the next time you open it from your start screen.
I can't wait until Xbox Music craps out and won't close unless I restart the phone.

theDeeDubs

So has 8.1 hit verizon Icons? Been thinking about switching to WP from my iPhone. Don't know why this is so confusing to me. It doesn't help that the verizon places around here have none in stock and are apparently more clueless about them than I am. When I asked about 8.1 I was given a blank look lol.

So has 8.1 hit verizon Icons? Been thinking about switching to WP from my iPhone. Don't know why this is so confusing to me. It doesn't help that the verizon places around here have none in stock and are apparently more clueless about them than I am. When I asked about 8.1 I was given a blank look lol.
The stupid thing about any retail stores is that if it is an Apple or a Samsung, they don't know jack shit.
Officially I think its still under testing.

Nero3000

Hmm new bug in the 8.1 update:

UK user here, when wearing (non-microphone) headphones listening to music and you receive an SMS, Cortana will correctly say "You have a new text from John Doe....".

Now when your interaction with her is finished, they music comes back in, but its mono and simultaneously playing through the loudspeaker.

You have to unplug, and replug in the headphones to go back to normal.

Has anyone else run into this?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Hmm new bug in the 8.1 update:

UK user here, when wearing (non-microphone) headphones listening to music and you receive an SMS, Cortana will correctly say "You have a new text from John Doe....".

Now when your interaction with her is finished, they music comes back in, but its mono and simultaneously playing through the loudspeaker.

You have to unplug, and replug in the headphones to go back to normal.

Has anyone else run into this?

wow that sucks, specially if you are in public place. And no I haven't encounter anything like this.

KageMaru

Is there any way to adjust the volume for notifications when using a headphones? I would like to be able to listen to music without blowing my eardrums out. I thought the individual volume controls were added partially for this reason but there is only one volume setting for headphones.

Treo360

I can't wait until Xbox Music craps out and won't close unless I restart the phone.
Funny you would write that. I instruct at the local y and use my phone as my audio source. The playlist played its final song and then I locked it. Well, when I went to turn the phone back on I was greeted with a resume screen from hell. Xbl music had locked up and prevented the start screen from loading.

1520.3 on 8.1 update 1

Wait that's a real thing? I miss my 920 but the M8 looks nice.

Yeah looks like it's going to be announced on the 19th. Verizon for the US and looks like International release will be happening as well.

-------------

In other news, with my 1520.3 unlocked coming tomorrow, went to AT&T today and they gave me a nano-SIM, didn't try to charge me. Ready to go on the thing once I get home tomorrow.

I assume the order of things will be to run updates first and get 8.1/Cyan and then activate it as a dev preview device after that for Update 1?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yeah looks like it's going to be announced on the 19th. Verizon for the US and looks like International release will be happening as well.

-------------

In other news, with my 1520.3 unlocked coming tomorrow, went to AT&T today and they gave me a nano-SIM, didn't try to charge me. Ready to go on the thing once I get home tomorrow.

I assume the order of things will be to run updates first and get 8.1/Cyan and then activate it as a dev preview device after that for Update 1?

You should get WP8.1 right away, but is Cyan available for 1520 yet? If yes, then you don't even need the dev preview for now. May be for later updates

ElNino

My GF just updated her 1020 to 8.1 on Rogers.
I saw that it was available from the Nokia Canada Twitter account, the problem is whether I want to downgrade back to 8.0 to get Cyan or just stick with DP.

My concern is that if I downgrade that I might lose some stuff on the phone in the process, so I'd rather wait out the DP Cyan fix if it won't be too long.

Special C

My Verizon Icon has not gotten 8.1 yet :(

royalan

I am pissed as all hell that the Lumia 635 doesn't have audio equalizer support.

Even more pissed because there's NO REASON for there not to be an audio equalizer. I mean, the ORIGINAL FUCKING iPHONE had this feature.

And what really takes the cake here is that, after copious amounts of searching online, the only reason I can find that the 635 (and other lower end models) doesn't have an equalizer is because it's being artificially restricted to the higher-end models...THAT THEY DON'T FUCKING SELL IN THE US.

MS, Nokia...look at your life, look at your choices. Sure, an audio equalizer is not a huge deal. It wouldn't be the make-or-break feature to advertise in a nationwide marketing campaign. But it's important. A LOT of people rely on their phones for entertainment. I couldn't survive my daily commute without my music. Not being able to fine-tune my audio from the complete shit-turd standard setting is a huge pain. And it's these minor details--the minor minor details--that grow into nagging grievences that send potential buyers elsewhere.

An audio equalizer is a BASIC feature. DUMBPHONES have audio equalizers. This should not be some feature that you restrict to your higher-end models that you can't even be bothered to sell here.

UGH

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Being able to download and save .mp3's directly is a wonderful thing.

Not sure I like the new separated music and podcast apps though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Really? I love podcasts being seperate.

The old setup had a separate tab for new stuff, plus I loved finishing out a run walk a song after listening to a podcast and switching between the two programs is extra work.

The new podcast engine is pretty spiffy with much easier scrolling and the ability to just web search shit not on the major store fronts and pull them down. I wonder if it uses RSS feeds in the backend or something. I just wish it had the option to integrate it back into the music section.

MCD

Speaking of equalizer, I swear I read somewhere that Cyan will enable it for everything but nope, still have to plug an audio device.

My Verizon Icon has not gotten 8.1 yet :(

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll hold off for a bit then.

if you enroll in the dev preview you can get 8.1 with GDR1/Update 1 (folders). I've had it on there for months

The old setup had a separate tab for new stuff, plus I loved finishing out a run walk a song after listening to a podcast and switching between the two programs is extra work.

The new podcast engine is pretty spiffy with much easier scrolling and the ability to just web search shit not on the major store fronts and pull them down. I wonder if it uses RSS feeds in the backend or something. I just wish it had the option to integrate it back into the music section.

part of the problem with the old podcasts section was the way that responsibilities previously lay. Before, Xbox Music team had to host (or at the very least do lots of work maintaining) each podcast page. This additional work also caused havoc in regards to obtaining rights for content, which I assume is the reasoning behind no international support.

The new separation breaks away Xbox Music from the Podcasts app, and now there is no rehosting of content. It's essentially a heavily tuned Bing search (IIRC, please don't quote me on this as it's been a while). Now, one could, and probably should, argue that the Xbox Music team should establish a communication/versioning to allow interoperability between the two models. Xbox Music could then search well-known locations to find podcasts, and add them to a particular section.

Maybe that will come in the future. For now, I'd prefer that team to continue working on the core functionality.

In essence, the problem lays within the ownership of the two apps, and you should say 'well, it's One Microsoft'. In reality, these people are have (in the past) been in different Orgs reporting to different managers with heavily differing views on what their product should be. Right now, I don't know where these two groups are located. They may both be in the Applications Org, which then would intimate a higher probability of inter-coupling, but I still wouldn't hold my breath.

You can manually download podcast and they will appear in the Xbox Music App.

Also while the new podcast app is decent it still can't find many of the podcasts I listen to.

Top Bottom