• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Wow, I didn't know Engadget trashed the Lumia 630.

Nokia Lumia 630

Pros
  • Fun, colorful design
  • Comfortable to hold
  • Capable camera

Cons
  • No selfie camera
  • Poor display
  • Dismal battery life
  • Plenty of better alternatives in this price range

Summary

"Where other affordable Lumias have struck the right balance between utility and price, the 630 falls short. It's nice to look at and takes good pictures, but it's otherwise a flawed device. With various better options available for the same price, the Lumia 630 is one to avoid.
"

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/17/nokia-lumia-630-review/

Will there be any new flagships launching in November? Hoping to upgrade my 920 sometime soon.
startlockscreenshotsgzqkx.png

Also, any update on this?

Nero3000

Fucking xbox music. Its a piece of shit. Stopped playing a track half way through and then threw up an error on any other track.

Killing the app didn't work, and needed to reboot the phone.

Where the fuck was last weeks update?

Zizbuka

Banned
Wow, I didn't know Engadget trashed the Lumia 630.

Nokia Lumia 630

Pros
  • Fun, colorful design
  • Comfortable to hold
  • Capable camera

Cons
  • No selfie camera
  • Poor display
  • Dismal battery life
  • Plenty of better alternatives in this price range

Summary

"Where other affordable Lumias have struck the right balance between utility and price, the 630 falls short. It's nice to look at and takes good pictures, but it's otherwise a flawed device. With various better options available for the same price, the Lumia 630 is one to avoid.
"

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/17/nokia-lumia-630-review/

I picked up a 635, don't do selfies, screen is really nice and I'm getting 3+ days on a charge. It's not my main phone but I'm using it a lot. Nice phone.

Paganmoon

n64coder

Up until a week ago, I kind of ignored the Bing Rewards program but now I'm getting into it. I referred my wife and my kids and then have been doing searches on their behalf to get to silver. I'm aiming for the 100GB OneDrive reward.

I have to say that the Bing search seems pretty good. I also like the daily 1 point challenge that they post (yesterday was Statue of Liberty, today was the TMNT movie). So if I'm going to get paid for it, I might as well keep doing Bing searches.

ElNino

Even Joe stated it should work, pretty official to me:
https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/496427357289201664

My thought is more that it says available on the nokia website, but not really pushed out.
I don't think Joe's comment means that it is fixed yet, just that you "will" be able to get device firmware along with DP builds.

I know that there are others with the 1020 on Rogers who have got the Cyan firmware now who were on 8.0, so it is pushed out for Rogers phones it seems. What I havent' seen is anyone who is on a DP build get it.

I... I think I'll get the 930 later, probably in September. Change of plans. Probably because there's also the rumoured HTC One for Windows consideration, but...

The 8S not getting 8.1 update 1 docks a lot of points.

toff74

I'm after a cheap music player (simless phone) that I can use with xbox music.

I have a L920,it just gets too hot when in use and the battery isn't too great anymore.

Would you still recommend a Windows Phone?

Shame my old zunes are out of action!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I have a L920,it just gets too hot when in use and the battery isn't too great anymore.

Ya those are known issues for L920 unfortunately. I haven't heard or had problem with the L1020 or any other Lumia model in that regards. I would say, get the L930. Its really good, in terms of hardware and also the specs are on par with latest Android devices.

btw how long does your battery last, if you don't mind me asking?

toff74

Ya those are known issues for L920 unfortunately. I haven't heard or had problem with the L1020 or any other Lumia model in that regards. I would say, get the L930. Its really good, in terms of hardware and also the specs are on par with latest Android devices.

btw how long does your battery last, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the reply..

It was fully charged at 7am. With 40 minutes of listening to music and a very small amount of 4G and Wi-Fi internet its now at 40%.

Its been a great phone, just with the recent updates it seems to be going backwards..

I really need Xbox Music to be fixed/perform better if I'm going to get another Windows Phone.

Hellraider

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a good free video media player for WP8? At the very least to be able to play some MKVs and read subtitles. I can't find anything decent by googling...

BeforeU

Thanks for the reply..

It was fully charged at 7am. With 40 minutes of listening to music and a very small amount of 4G and Wi-Fi internet its now at 40%.

Its been a great phone, just with the recent updates it seems to be going backwards..

I really need Xbox Music to be fixed/perform better if I'm going to get another Windows Phone.

oh that battery life seems terrible man.
And MS has promised to keep bring Xbox Music update bi-weekly every friday. And they have been delivering. With glitch fix etc. its still no perfect, but they are putting lot of effort to bring all the functionality.

Xbox Music has been updated! Microsoft is doing good on their word to give the app bi-weekly updates. The last update was two weeks ago and today we're staring at the latest version in the Windows Phone Store. Read on to find out what's in version 2.6.123.0 of Xbox Music.

Link

BeforeU

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a good free video media player for WP8? At the very least to be able to play some MKVs and read subtitles. I can't find anything decent by googling...

MoliPlayer Pro is what I use and its great but it wiil cost you $3. You can try it for free and see if that's good for you or not.

ElNino

This is why I still keep my Zune HD around... although I haven't powered it on for a while.

On iOS, there's an audio priority system where foreground apps (i.e. GPS) will pause and resume background audio as needed. On Android, same thing. Does this happen on WP?

I've all but written off this platform, but I want to confirm that this is a function of the OS. Using Nokia Drive on my test 620, it'll mute the background audio to shout an instruction, but the background audio will continue playing. This is frustrating as fuck when you're listening to a podcast (on Podcast Lounge in my case). It's bad enough Nokia Drive is a pale substitute for Google Maps/Navigation (My Commute is particularly useless).

Special C

I guess i'm going to break down and get the dev preview. I figured the real thing was coming soon but it hasn't yet and I'm getting antsy.

Currently putting the new 1520.3 through the 15 updates it needs. So many gears!!

----------

EDIT: Question, maybe LF can answer: Why does it take so long to check for updates? Seems like an odd thing to take so long.

MCD

noticed that 1020 cyan is different from 1520. no usb option and display tuning is not as advanced.

Oh shit, I think the phone is taking forever to check for updates cause it's DLing all the apps and backup stuff.

Anyone to pause that stuff so I can run through the updates first?

Top Bottom