• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Hmm.

Since Update 1, I've been getting "resuming" just when hitting the power button. (Lumia 930)

Figured it actually might be related to the Lock Screen Beta app, so removed it. Then it just constantly borked what picture I set as the lock screen, even fading between the generic O2 Millenium Dome picture or what I set it as.

I guess a hard reset might be in order. Sigh.

Before doing that, reinstall the lock beta app, then select a lock screen - then DE-select it, ie go back to a regular lock screen - then uninstall the lock screen app. That worked for me.

Anyone notice pkpass (Passbook) support for the Wallet is now broken too? Hope they bring it back, that was another feature that I used that's gone along with the docking accessories app and the integrated messaging hub.

But hey live folders right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've been going round and round in circles but I need your help sorting out my MS account/onedrive/Skype woes

I have two MS accounts. One is the one I had ages ago for XBL on 360. When I got my windows phone I just used that one again. When I bought an Xbox one I used the same one. So all my windows phone purchases and I assume XB1 purchases are tied to this MS account.

Then I had what appears to be a brainfart. I bought office 365 because I got 12 months XBl gold and my family needed it on several computers. For this I made a new MS account and subscribed. I recently got upgraded to 1Tb onedrive so am using it for photo backups from my computer. I also get 60 Skype out minutes per month, so I created a Skype account.

This gives me a couple of problems
1) I'd like to use that onedrive space on my windows phone so I can easily access all my photos etc. but there seems to be nowhere on WP8.1 to sign out of onedrive or choose a different MS account?

2) I'd like to use the free Skype minutes on my Xbox one, but again there appears to be no way to do this. If I try and sign in with the Skype name, it says it is associated with a different MS account and doesn't let me proceed. (The Skype app on WP8 does let me sign in with a different account)

Is there any way around this for either of those issues?

Edit: I think I've worked around the onedrive issue by inviting my other account as one of the 5 members of 365. So my WP onedrive now has its one 1TB. I'll have to re upload all my photos and probably switch my PC onedrive app to that account, but that isn't too painful

Paganmoon

Anyone notice pkpass (Passbook) support for the Wallet is now broken too? Hope they bring it back, that was another feature that I used that's gone along with the docking accessories app and the integrated messaging hub.

But hey live folders right.

it broke for me a few updates ago, got passbook converter in the phone store, works great with it.

n64coder

Where do people report issues with web pages not being Mobile friendly?

An example is the OneDrive app. I start the app and then select Settings. There's a link that says ManageStorage. Click on that, it brings you to the OneDrive website but in desktop mode (small) instead of mobile format.

I just assumed that if you access any page on Microsoft's website, it would be mobile friendly for Windows Phone. Maybe that's incorrect?

oh wow...the new facebook app is very nice, smooth and nice transitions...if only i used facebook more.

Hope twitter gets a similar makeover.

I checked reviews in the store and they say "new update is broken". I don't usually update anyway if the app is still working.

Gosh darn it HTC owners didn't get the GDR 1 update (just a minor update yesterday I thought was GDR 1). :(

(I was trying to create live folders and enable Cortana like an idiot.)

KageMaru

Performance seems much better in IE now. Don't know what changed because I didn't do anything, but pages are loading up fine now. GAF was the first site I visited after updating and it just loaded a blank screen, refreshing did nothing, had to close the browser and relaunch. Regardless, works great now!

iF6hkBd.jpg

Under Testing

So does this mean we don't have to roll back to 8.0 to receive the Cyan update now?

They f*cking nailed the folders. Can't stress how much I love the way they are true to the design, and how it keeps your layout.

Agreed, they could have done a horrible job with the folders, but it looks great. Only thing I find annoying is how you need to tap on the folder again to minimize it. This seems like a typical MS approach, but it would be nice if we could just tap anywhere outside of the folder to close it.

When do regular Cyan users get the update? I want folders...:(

Why not just enroll in the dev preview program and install update 1? The preview program just deals with the OS, not the firmware. So it shouldn't matter if you already have cyan.

Edit: Beaten

ElNino

Agreed, they could have done a horrible job with the folders, but it looks great. Only thing I find annoying is how you need to tap on the folder again to minimize it. This seems like a typical MS approach, but it would be nice if we could just tap anywhere outside of the folder to close it.
Agreed, I started hitting the Back button to close the minimize the folder but that just launches back into the last app.

I've actually setup a few folders now, and added a few more apps onto my home screen as a result. It's an extra click for some apps but I'll give it a go for a while to see if I like it better.

So does this mean we don't have to roll back to 8.0 to receive the Cyan update now?

Why not just enroll in the dev preview program and install update 1? The preview program just deals with the OS, not the firmware. So it shouldn't matter if you already have cyan.

I would hope the update team addressed the issue in bitlocker (or wherever the issue has occurred), to ensure no one has to rollback to 8.0. I worked very frequently with the DU guys on phone (the DP program is an evolution on an internal program that I worked heavily on during 8.1 timeframe), and they are keenly intent on preventing bad experiences like this. I hope they're able to figure out the right way to solve the problem.

So my 920 fell in my pool the other day. I want to get a 620 to hold me over until the 1520 comes to Verizon. Does anyone know if I buy an unlocked 620 off of amazon can I use it with Verizon?

That's the thing. They damn well knew this would be the case. That's how bad things had gotten.

They should just put a setting inside of IE for which browser agent you want to use.

Was thinking about supposed smartband and mocked something up. Its rough around the edges.

First the design is like a band, uniform all the way round, with all the sensors. It is like the popular iWatch concept but to be worn on the inside of the wrist like shown below.

Hardware:

Glance screen:
cn56Wgp.png

Heart rate monitor (can easily imagine a step counter/GPS etc.):
0ZzgOju.png

Cortana:
2EClufA.png

pHKRZPC.png

Incoming Calls:
0XLbA60.png

(scrollable) messages:
Ls5xSwT.png

Voice reply:
KKRhlSZ.png
If thats what the supposed Microsoft Smartband ends up looking like, I would be all over it. Also love that mockup UI, good job :)

ElNino

Anyone use Bluetooth for music and calls through an aftermarket car stereo? What brands are good?
Yes I use my 1020 to stream music and calls via Bluethooth... but not through an aftermarket stereo. I use the stock system that came with my vehicles (Honda Odyssey and Nissan Altima).

Yes I use my 1020 to stream music and calls via Bluethooth... but not through an aftermarket stereo. I use the stock system that came with my vehicles (Honda Odyssey and Nissan Altima).

Me too for our newer car that has Bluetooth, but we also have an older Subaru without. That's why I need to hear recommendations for aftermarket car stereos.

Nero3000

Been thinking about my smartband concept more today, so when I got home I fired up PowerPoint and mocked up some more:

Design tweak:
FYVxf17.png

Twitter (yes a stream is unrealistic on a watch, but maybe you can set it so only certain peoples tweets show):
pgoPrs8.png

How to dismiss a notification:
mW10Q9J.png

SMS:
QM5OZzn.png

lgCT61z.png

tpUE4sF.png

Music:
pdrwQUN.png

Calendar Event Notification:
pqQp7tz.png

Dismiss:
ovYnrfj.png

Navigate to on calendar (scaling on map probably needs work):
Zv4TLPn.png

NeOak

So my 920 fell in my pool the other day. I want to get a 620 to hold me over until the 1520 comes to Verizon. Does anyone know if I buy an unlocked 620 off of amazon can I use it with Verizon?
If you want a Lumia for Verizon, you'll have to get either the 822, the 928 or the Icon.

1525 is 20XX atm.

n64coder

What is the year of your Altima? Mine is 2008 and I have bluetooth but it's for the phone. I haven't tried playing music over the connection because I wasn't sure what would happen if a call came through while playing music.

I've always used Alpine stereos when I've upgraded mine. They're fantastic

Yeah I always used Alpine when I was into upgrading my car stereo in high school and stuff. So I know they have good sound quality, but really I just want something that will play nice with my 1520. I heard that the Alpine head units require a separate module for Bluetooth?

JaggedSac

I actually think that new Lenova phone looks pretty good. What are the odds that a WP version gets released?

EDIT: Although, I would rather have a 1530.

steelcity

Neo Member
So AT&T releases a Green 1520 and it's rumored to have a 1525/1530 before the end of the year? Damn i'd be salty if I bought that.

VoxPop

Been thinking about my smartband concept more today, so when I got home I fired up PowerPoint and mocked up some more:

Design tweak:
FYVxf17.png

Twitter (yes a stream is unrealistic on a watch, but maybe you can set it so only certain peoples tweets show):
pgoPrs8.png

How to dismiss a notification:
mW10Q9J.png

SMS:
QM5OZzn.png

lgCT61z.png

tpUE4sF.png

Music:
pdrwQUN.png

Calendar Event Notification:
pqQp7tz.png

Dismiss:
ovYnrfj.png

Navigate to on calendar (scaling on map probably needs work):
Zv4TLPn.png

Cool stuff. Along with that hardware, this possibly could be very nice.

ElNino

What is the year of your Altima? Mine is 2008 and I have bluetooth but it's for the phone. I haven't tried playing music over the connection because I wasn't sure what would happen if a call came through while playing music.
Mine is a 2014. I just need to use the Aux/USB mode and it will allow streaming through Bluetooth.

ElNino

BTW, for new cars right now Honda has the best Bluetooth integration, then Toyota, then Nissan, then Hyundai was kinda crap.
What is great(er) about the Honda Bluetooth integration now? My Odyssey is 2012, and it doesn't seem any better than my more recent Nissan.

I didn't think I would use folders, but I'm seriously impressed with the implementation, already done a bit of redesigning with 5 sets of folders.

Nice to see some great design still happening with WP.

The stereo in my 2013 CRV displays track name, artist name, and album name on a nice screen, while the Altima rental I had was full of spiders.

Sorry I should have indicated that my rankings are extremely subjective!

Bullza2o

I love opening and closing Live Folders just for fun seeing the great animation --especially when I'm bored. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

What is the OS number for WP 8.1 Update 1? I did just update my phone earlier today, but I wanted to try the Live Folders and it doesn't seem to work for me? I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, or if I actually don't have Update 1 like I thought.

Running a Verizon HTC 8X.

Herr K

Banned
What is the OS number for WP 8.1 Update 1? I did just update my phone earlier today, but I wanted to try the Live Folders and it doesn't seem to work for me? I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, or if I actually don't have Update 1 like I thought.

Running a Verizon HTC 8X.

HTC didn't get it.

How the hell has the IE team still not fixed the issue where pressing back takes you to a page you visited a significant amount of time ago instead of the page you were previously on?

I can't swipe from the left to go back because the link I clicked and just closed was opened in a new tab.

Absolutely garbage browser :( this happens SO often to me on 8.1 and still hasn't been fixed after updating to GDR1.

HTC didn't get it.
I know that. I got 8.1 through the Developer Preview when it first became available. It was updated today, and expected the update to be Update 1.

The OS version my phone says it's running is 8.10.12400.899

Is this just 8.1, or 8.1 Update 1?

Getting a weird bug on my Lumia 930 - when I'm on a call, the phone obviously has a sensor that turns the screen off when the phone is pressed to my ear. When I want to end a call, I take the phone away from my ear....and the screen doesn't come back on. I have to double press the power button, and end the call. Then the phone immediately goes dark, and I have to press the power button again to then turn the screen back on. It's really weird. Anyone else have this issue on the 930?

Top Bottom