• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

Seems clear that the first gen devices have a lower priority in this roll-out. Neither Microsoft nor the carriers have a reason to put them high on the list. They could sell some more new devices instead!

That + 1020 custom camera + halting production this fall.

:(

No one posted the Chinese Cortana animations yet? They're pretty cool.

http://livesino.net/archives/7314.live

I love this one:

MOCHI_OOBEINTRO1_3.gif

Agreed, they could have done a horrible job with the folders, but it looks great. Only thing I find annoying is how you need to tap on the folder again to minimize it. This seems like a typical MS approach, but it would be nice if we could just tap anywhere outside of the folder to close it.

Mine does close when I touch a blank area outside the folder area XD I do wish the back button closed the folder, right now it acts just as it would if you pressed it on the start screen without expanding anything.

Getting a weird bug on my Lumia 930 - when I'm on a call, the phone obviously has a sensor that turns the screen off when the phone is pressed to my ear. When I want to end a call, I take the phone away from my ear....and the screen doesn't come back on. I have to double press the power button, and end the call. Then the phone immediately goes dark, and I have to press the power button again to then turn the screen back on. It's really weird. Anyone else have this issue on the 930?

Sounds like your proximity sensor is having problems. It used to happen to the 920 all the damn time. Take it to a store and try to return it.

ElNino

So it seems the Canadian alpha version of Cortana is not up to par with what the US beta version is (what a shock). The only real benefit to having the Canadian version is that it will give temperature in celcius and distances in KM by default.

However, interest items I had with the US version like my stock quotes and favourite sports teams (scores, schedule and news) are missing. All we really have at the moment are some stock news headlines.

Yes, I know it is an alpha outside of the US but I was hoping it would be closer to the US than this considering none of the things I'm missing are really US specific.

it broke for me a few updates ago, got passbook converter in the phone store, works great with it.

This should be a native OS feature, and it's extra sad that it worked before but now we need some obscure 3rd party app.

I'll just print my vouchers like it's 2010 again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Skype for Windows Phone gets option to send photos, longer conversation history, text mark-up, and more:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...tion-history-text-mark/?utm_source=feedburner

does it get the option back to sign into a different skype account? :(

If I wasn't getting free minutes with office 365 I wouldn't care - probably the most confusing apps to use there is. No way to find your skype name if you're signed in with a microsoft account, so I don't know how other people find you.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So it seems the Canadian alpha version of Cortana is not up to par with what the US beta version is (what a shock). The only real benefit to having the Canadian version is that it will give temperature in celcius and distances in KM by default.

However, interest items I had with the US version like my stock quotes and favourite sports teams (scores, schedule and news) are missing. All we really have at the moment are some stock news headlines.

Yes, I know it is an alpha outside of the US but I was hoping it would be closer to the US than this considering none of the things I'm missing are really US specific.

I had to switch back to US. Canada is still way too gimped.

ElNino

I had to switch back to US. Canada is still way too gimped.
That's what I'm thinking of doing as well. I don't buy enough apps for it to be much of an incovenience to switch back and forth, and lacking most of the functionality of Cortana is more significant.

Is it just me or did the keyboard layout change? Weren't the comma and period keys next to each other (right of the Space)? Now the comma is on the left side.

Sordid

Is it just me or did the keyboard layout change? Weren't the comma and period keys next to each other (right of the Space)? Now the comma is on the left side.

My comma is still on the right on 8.1 update 1, wish it was back to the left tbh. If I type a message without concentrating it'll end up full of commas :/

The error refers to not having enough space on the phone. It's weird, because typically people have far more than enough space are receiving it. They're looking into it, certainly.

The error refers to not having enough space on the phone. It's weird, because typically people have far more than enough space are receiving it. They're looking into it, certainly.

you're thinking about 8018830F, 0x80188308 is another error (that I'm also having on a 920) with the most useless message to go with it.

Can't update phone

It's a probably a temporary problem. To try again, go to Settings > Phone Update. (0x80188308).

Lol. It's not really temporary though :/ (but yeah, at least they are looking into it)

not at all.

It translates to: E_INSUFFICIENT_SPACE_FOR_UPDATE

I shouldn't really say any more than that, though. They're looking into the problem and should hopefully have a fix soon.

Top Bottom