• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

Unlike the previous "beta", this is an update to the existing messaging update, no? I can't seem to get the Store to trigger an update for it.

Yes, it is on the existing messaging app. Interestingly enough, after reinstalling the messaging app, skype integration is no longer there for me.

Ape

Banned
What if Microsoft launches a Qi charging station that automatically connects your phone wirelessly to a keyboard, mouse and display when charging? Would you guys be interested in something like that?

What if Microsoft launches a Qi charging station that automatically connects your phone wirelessly to a keyboard, mouse and display when charging? Would you guys be interested in something like that?
Considering that everything is going wireless, I see them releasing a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse that uses the Miracast capability of the phone to run Continuum in a screen.
I was actually expecting to see something like that in the event, but maybe the software in W10M is still janky enough for showing that to the press.

hadareud

The Translator
Continuum does work via Miracast and W10M does support BT m&kb.

They could release a Qi charger that switches all of this on via NFC, I suppose.

Doffen

tjOXCto.jpg

I feel no shame.

I had a chance to go to the Microsoft store today.

The Band 2 is awesome. It looks bulky in pictures but it a great fit. It seems much thinner in person. It's very responsive. I plan on picking this up day one. I plan to use my wife's teacher status to get the 10% discount plus 5% back from Fatwallet or Ebates.

The Surface Pro 4 was nice as well. It didn't wow me as much since I've been an owner of the SP3 since launch. The keyboard though was really nice with a good solid feel to the keys. The trackpack also felt so much better. It's larger and right and left click is finally done right. I plan at least to upgrade the keyboard. It will at least give me the feel of an upgrade without the upgrade drain on the wallet. :D

The Lumia 950 XL was also pretty solid. It didn't feel cheaply made but like a solid premium device. Would purchase in an instant if I wasn't tied to Sprint.

clav

I must be crazy because I'm considering purchasing a Galaxy Note 5 after writing it off for its problems.

I think the lightning cable on the iPhone would bother me due to its quality control. Plus all the 6S and 6S Plus offerings are the heaviest devices in the market. So unApple-like.

Why does Microsoft continue to avoid attracting new buyers?

I had a chance to go to the Microsoft store today.

The Band 2 is awesome. It looks bulky in pictures but it a great fit. It seems much thinner in person. It's very responsive. I plan on picking this up day one. I plan to use my wife's teacher status to get the 10% discount plus 5% back from Fatwallet or Ebates.

The Surface Pro 4 was nice as well. It didn't wow me as much since I've been an owner of the SP3 since launch. The keyboard though was really nice with a good solid feel to the keys. The trackpack also felt so much better. It's larger and right and left click is finally done right. I plan at least to upgrade the keyboard. It will at least give me the feel of an upgrade without the upgrade drain on the wallet. :D

The Lumia 950 XL was also pretty solid. It didn't feel cheaply made but like a solid premium device. Would purchase in an instant if I wasn't tied to Sprint.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Maybe some good Holiday gifts this year.

I really wanted the 950.

I still can't believe that in 2015 MS is still limiting carrier support.

At this rate, Project Astoria was just a nice thing to have.

Poor lastflowers. First Verizon destroys his phone plan and now his workplace doesn't support the carrier anyway. Thereby, making his work somewhat useless.

How depressing.

joshschw

Yikes at this new Messaging app update.

1) Took far too long and with too much effort to just disable the Skype portion - I don't want it!

2) Some awesome new features - search! Landscape view with other threads!

3) BUGGY! Glitches galore. Crashes a lot. Attaching photos is incredibly hit or miss... I just sent a photo with a couple words and the photo went away! At least it didn't crash

4) Can't wait for new build, maybe will be less buggy?

I still can't believe that in 2015 MS is still limiting carrier support.
Yeah it's worse than the WP7 launch if you think about it. Both ATT and T-Mobile launched with phones from Samsung, HTC, and LG.

Now, it's just Microsoft with a single carrier.

I hope at least the 550 can reach mass appeal and launch on T-Mobile, Metro, Cricket, etc.

clav

Yeah it's worse than the WP7 launch if you think about it. Both ATT and T-Mobile launched with phones from Samsung, HTC, and LG.

Now, it's just Microsoft with a single carrier.

I hope at least the 550 can reach mass appeal and launch on T-Mobile, Metro, Cricket, etc.

Then you have the Lumia 635 situation all over again.

Is that phone popular?

Word is that MS is just doing the absolute least that they can with these phones.

It's like Microsoft doesn't care.

PG2G

I'd think that with carriers having done away with subsidies, what it means to be sold by a carrier now is much different than what it meant a few years ago

I'd think that with carriers having done away with subsidies, what it means to be sold by a carrier now is much different than what it meant a few years ago
Absolutely, but a large percentage of people still walk into carrier retail stores, play with what's on their shelves, and go off a sales rep's recommendations.

kazinova

Wen to the MS store near me on Friday with the wife (still on her 920). They only had the Band 2 in medium, the 950XL and the SP4 + Tip Kit + Covers. No 950, no Book.

Band 2 - Glad I pre-ordered, it's better than the Band in every way. The medium one at the store only fit on my wrist on the largest or second-to-largest click. So I feel pretty good about ordering the large like I did. The screen almost makes me feel dizzy, though, the curve makes it seem three dimensional, almost.

SP4 - The SP4 is only marginally thinner, I really couldn't tell the difference. I have a SP3 so I'm immune to the SP4's charms. My wife was convinced after seeing my SP3 for so long. So she snagged a pre-order for the 16gb 256 i7 model and the dark blue cover.

I'll probably be getting a replacement pen for my SP3 since the pens at the store just worked immediately on the demo SP3s. The eraser worked without any effort and the different tips feel SO MUCH BETTER than the SP3 pen. BTW, the eraser on the new pen is delightful. It really does feel like an eraser, you can't help but smile the first time you use it.

The new type cover is MUCH better than the SP3 type cover. If the fingerprint reader came in a color other than "Onyx" I would also be getting one day one to refresh my SP3 and have access to Windows Hello. But I'll be waiting to see if I can get a red version of that some day.

950XL - I've got a 1520 that I kind of wish was the same size as the 950XL. My wife pre-ordered one and I will be interminably jealous. The 950XL feels super light and still manages to feel premium despite that missing weight and material. The camera is lightning fast, I wish I had checked what release of W10Mobile was on the demo devices. But the pictures were insanely detailed and you could snap off pictures at about 5hz. Pretty impressive.

Wish they had a 950 to compare to, I'd probably save the $100 and drop to the 5.2" size if I was going to get one of these phones day one.

So all in, we pre-ordered a Band 2, SP4 and 950XL. I'll try and string along my 1520 as long as I can, and I'll snag a new pen when I get a chance to make my SP3 feel new again. This is going to be an expensive couple months. (250+650+1799+129? Jesus, I really don't want to know the answer to that sum)

Nero3000

The most annoying thing about insider builds, is that whenever you want to show someone something on your phone...you'll just be met with a lengthy "loading"....every single time.

hadareud

The Translator
Very true.

Really hope there's a new build today and that they've taken a decent step forward. The last update was a step back. My 1020 is verging on being unusable at this point.

Paganmoon

Still nothing from the Swedish carriers. I'm thinking there might not be a carrier subsidized version at all for us...

Edit: Even removed on the Swedish Microsoft store site now. So... yeah...

Watevaman

Long shot here but does anyone know of an app for WP that can scan all currently available wifi hotspots and retrieve data from them that can be exported? I'm currently doing an internship where my duty is going to be mapping the wifi strength along my city's main corridor but the current app they use is from 2011 and has been giving me trouble on my android devices. The app needs to retrieve the names, MAC addresses, strength, etc of the hotspots. I doubt there is anything like this but its worth a shot since only my Icon is on a cell network (useful for retrieving data when I can't connect to said wifi).

kazinova

I really hope that build that might hit this week comes tomorrow. My 1520 is almost unusable at this point and I don't want to hard reset to fix the problems (I made it this far on the current build without one) only to do it again a day later.

Hurry MS!

Paganmoon

Got responses from three of Sweden's major carriers, all three said "currently no information regarding new Lumias, keep yourself updates through our homepage" Telia added that they're currently reviewing their Lumia offerings (hint, they have none available).

Not looking too good for me...

Anyway, since ios9 OT is "more than meets the eye", shouldn't the win10 mobile OT be "the OS meets your eye" or something?

hadareud

The Translator
I really hope that build that might hit this week comes tomorrow. My 1520 is almost unusable at this point and I don't want to hard reset to fix the problems (I made it this far on the current build without one) only to do it again a day later.

Hurry MS!

Looks like there will be a build tomorrow or Wednesday.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Long shot here but does anyone know of an app for WP that can scan all currently available wifi hotspots and retrieve data from them that can be exported? I'm currently doing an internship where my duty is going to be mapping the wifi strength along my city's main corridor but the current app they use is from 2011 and has been giving me trouble on my android devices. The app needs to retrieve the names, MAC addresses, strength, etc of the hotspots. I doubt there is anything like this but its worth a shot since only my Icon is on a cell network (useful for retrieving data when I can't connect to said wifi).

Fascinating concept. Have not heard about such app on any platform. Try searching on the internet and please do let me know LOL I already have an app idea based on this concept.

Magni

Is anyone else worried about the 950 not being in MS stores or on the online store? I know they've said it would be sold unlocked alongside the AT&T offer, but why is it nowhere to be seen?

PG2G

Closest thing I can think of, Windows 10 only I believe: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/20876_Wifi_Analyzer_comes_to_Windows.php

hankster

Is anyone else worried about the 950 not being in MS stores or on the online store? I know they've said it would be sold unlocked alongside the AT&T offer, but why is it nowhere to be seen?
It's troubling that it has been in and now (?) out of the MS online store. Just make it official one way or the other guys and stop playing games dammit.

Totakeke

Unlike Surface & Surface Pro competition - there's quite a few very solid small tablets and thus much less of a need for a Surface Mini

Which ones? There's barely any with stylus support last I checked. I own one from Asus and they broke onenote pen support with Windows 10. And the stylus is so thin and terrible to use.

Top Bottom