• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's fair to say that the reaction to the new phones has been surprisingly positive. Deep down, even Brot's loins are stirring, really.

With that in mind, how is it that Microsoft's Gahigiddy (Rubino) is so lukewarm about them?

Milchjon

I think it's fair to say that the reaction to the new phones has been surprisingly positive. Deep down, even Brot's loins are stirring, really.

With that in mind, how is it that Microsoft's Gahigiddy (Rubino) is so lukewarm about them?

Because he actually owns an iPhone now.

He has sampled the sweet nectar.

Doffen

Clearly misses Snapchat.
Or maybe all the negativity prior to the event finally caught up to him.

Panay was working on it before heading Devices?

No, Myerson and team were, if I'm remembering it correctly. So there is preliminary engineering work done on the phone, but not design, plus the obvious OS work to be done if this is in fact an x86 phone.

Personally, I think the x86 is kinda pointless for consumers, but for IT/corporate it might be good. One device to deploy, etc.

Doffen

No, Myerson and team were, if I'm remembering it correctly. So there is preliminary engineering work done on the phone, but not design, plus the obvious OS work to be done if this is in fact an x86 phone.

Personally, I think the x86 is kinda pointless for consumers, but for IT/corporate it might be good. One device to deploy, etc.

The best announcement would be if they showcased Crysis running on it.

Doffen

I do not see the point in an x86 phone.

Continuum. Having x86 apps available on a mobile device would actually make Continuum more attractive.
Personally I see no value in Continuum for me, but developing countries and people on the go (sales, presenters, brokers) would probably love it.

JaggedSac

Continuum. Having x86 apps available on a mobile device would actually make Continuum more attractive.
Personally I see no value in Continuum for me, but developing countries and people on the go (sales, presenters, brokers) would probably love it.

Yeah, that is the only way I see continuum being worthwhile. Plus the fact that they are about to start having x86 software on the store.

Totakeke

I can't really see what they can do with the phones that would make it a lot more desirable. I personally want to see stylus support but even I have to admit that's quite niche on a smartphone. Given they're expanding to different sizes with the Surface lineup, the big question to me is why they decided to kill the Surface mini. The lack of differentiator could have been a big thing, but that could easily apply to whatever they come up for phones as well unless things have significantly changed since then.

bring back the courier ;_;

Autocad. Sometimes I feel so unproductive on the toilet. This would solve that.
FFXIV on my phone!
lolz
What x86 software isn't going to wreck battery life on your phone though, not too mention not really usable outside continuum and kinda flies in the face of MSFT's pitch of why Universal Apps are important....

Strikes me as a desperate play at relevancy for their phones that contradicts their long term goals for it.

PG2G

lolz

What x86 software isn't going to wreck battery life on your phone though, not too mention not really usable outside continuum and kinda flies in the face of MSFT's pitch of why Universal Apps are important....

Strikes me as a desperate play at relevancy for their phones that contradicts their long term goals for it.

I dont know, your phone being able to turn into a REAL computer would be pretty awesome. Continuum is only halfway there, and might end up wasted effort if the universal app thing never takes off. And battery really isn't an issue because someone using continuum is most likely going to be connected to a charger.

I wouldn't see a need for desktop apps in phone mode though, they don't have the interfaces for that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got some hands on with the 950 and 950XL at the MS store. Definitely preferred the XL. Felt and looked great, very fast and had no issues using the software buttons (I like that they can be swiped away). I'm going to be gutted if I cant get one.

Checked out the Band 2.....very nice as well especially compared to the Band 1. The strap is greatly improved. Also improved is the type cover on the Pro 4. Really impressed with the rigidity and the track pad.

an x86 phone would probably all but kill universal apps and the windows app store which is not something MS would like.

Yeah that's my thoughts. In MSFT's long term vision, current Win32 Desktop applications are legacy software, something that should be phased out for software built on a smarter platform that's connected, built for devices on battery power, and can be used on any device regardless of form factor.

Making a phone that supports that "legacy" software is backwards, nor is current phone hardware designed to run those kinds of apps.

DonMigs85

Kinda makes you wonder just how dominant x86 will be within the next 10 years. Apple could very well be gradually weaning itself on to ARM completely. Just look how powerful the A9 is in comparison to even Skylake Core M and the lower end U processors.

the big question to me is why they decided to kill the Surface mini. The lack of differentiator could have been a big thing, but that could easily apply to whatever they come up for phones as well unless things have significantly changed since then.

I'd wait a few months until mourning the Surface Mini. They announced two premium devices here - it would make some sense to announce a smaller, cheaper tablet alongside the Surface 4.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
fuck me I was banned for a month so couldn't post but I was lurking. What a day for Microsoft that was. I am definitely holding out for the Surface Phone announcement sometime next year. But these two phones looks cool. Don't care about the Continnum, but camera and display is top notch.

fuck me I was banned for a month so couldn't post but I was lurking. What a day for Microsoft that was. I am definitely holding out for the Surface Phone announcement sometime next year. But these two phones looks cool. Don't care about the Continnum, but camera and display is top notch.
I hope continuum will help sell to the business sector, bundling phone and surface. That in turn might promote adoption of uwp by those bigger companies, and thus strengthening the ecosystem. But then again, I think we've all had hopes before, haha.

kharma45

I'm exited for the Band 2. £200 is very steep for it but I can't explain it, I just want it. November 19th is so far away though. Only benefit is reviews will be out before mine ships so I'll know if my excitement is justified or not.

mm04

I hope continuum will help sell to the business sector, bundling phone and surface. That in turn might promote adoption of uwp by those bigger companies, and thus strengthening the ecosystem. But then again, I think we've all had hopes before, haha.

Get Checkpoint VPN and remote desktop connection on it and I wouldn't need an emergency backup work laptop.

I'm exited for the Band 2. £200 is very steep for it but I can't explain it, I just want it. November 19th is so far away though. Only benefit is reviews will be out before mine ships so I'll know if my excitement is justified or not.
I want one too. Only really want it for tracking runs but don't know that I can justify the price.

José Mourinho;181261172 said:
I want one too. Only really want it for tracking runs but don't know that I can justify the price.
Msft is giving us a 150$ rebate if we 'get our numbers' (a general checkup/health plan/flu shot). Heck yeah, I'll do that for free and spend 100$ on the band.

MCD

Woodlands, Texas? mm, 20 minutes from where I grew up... (5 mins north of Bush Intercontinental).

Welcome to SUV and Oil Executive land.

Pretty awesome place. Better than Memorial and the Galleria mall for sure. But the MS store @ Galleria is better and the staff are more informed.

And oh...no 950 too. Only XL. :(

JaggedSac

Pro 4 keyboard hnnngggg

Can't wait for my Pro 4 to arrive.

----------------

Anyone get the Messaging update to Win 10 mobile on their phone?

I did, set up skype integration stuff, had to hard reset my phone for unrelated thing, now my messenger app is no longer on the phone. Do you or anyone else have a link to download it? I can't find it on the store.

Edit: Found it.

MCD

BTW when I was playing with the camera app on 950 XL, zooming on pics lagged a bit.

They really need to optimize it faster.

I did, set up skype integration stuff, had to hard reset my phone for unrelated thing, now my messenger app is no longer on the phone. Do you or anyone else have a link to download it? I can't find it on the store.

Edit: Found it.

Unlike the previous "beta", this is an update to the existing messaging update, no? I can't seem to get the Store to trigger an update for it.

Top Bottom