• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

OEM

Do you guys think next year Panos will come swinging saying so we reinvented the tablet space, then laptop space. Now time to reinvent the phone. Introducing Surface Phone. Boom.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I really don't see how they will keep this up with the way they are handling Europe at the moment. Surely consumers will forget them as the competition are battling for attention.
I don't know, but Motorola has kind of dropped the ball with the upgrade cycle and the latest crop of phones and Samsung is losing steam.

Do you guys think next year Panos will come swinging saying so we reinvented the tablet space, then laptop space. Now time to reinvent the phone. Introducing Surface Phone. Boom.
Honestly, I'm super pissy because I really, really want to wait for a Surface Phone, but the 950 looks GORGEOUS with dat leather backplate and the camera looks stunning.

Doffen

I don't know, but Motorola has kind of dropped the ball with the upgrade cycle and the latest crop of phones and Samsung is losing steam.

Sony and Huawei will surely pass them. Samsung might be loosing steam, but they are also active with a ton of commercials for Edge and Edge+.

KageMaru

What makes you think that the S6 would take better pictures? The 950 damn near has a dedicated camera's sensor in it.

Doesn't every phone with a camera have a sensor in it? =P

I'm purely going off of camera reviews, which have all been good from what I've seen. I was under the impression that it had one of the best cameras out there today, rivaling the 930. I could be wrong though of course.

Any word if a new build for Windows Phone 10 Preview will be released this weekend?

I wouldn't expect a new build until early next week the earliest. They were testing a build to release this week but it had a higher crash rate than the current build. So they applied a fix and are currently testing but should take a few days before they are sure enough to release it to the insiders.

Had this iPhone for a few days. Honestly the stand out feature is the fingerprint reader and Apple pay. Lot's of things they could take note of from MS and vice versa. Probably going back to WP with either the 950 or hopefully a Surface phone.

How do you like the 3D touch feature?

JaggedSac

I'm purely going off of camera reviews, which have all been good from what I've seen. I was under the impression that it had one of the best cameras out there today, rivaling the 930. I could be wrong though of course.

The thing is, it didn't even look like grain from using a high ISO. It looked like a harsh smoothing algorithm was being used. I will try taking some night shots tonight using my wife's S6 and see what they are doing on there.

Doesn't every phone with a camera have a sensor in it? =P

I wouldn't expect a new build until early next week the earliest. They were testing a build to release this week but it had a higher crash rate than the current build. So they applied a fix and are currently testing but should take a few days before they are sure enough to release it to the insiders.

I meant as in its comparable to the sensor of a device which is solely a camera. The sensor on this is larger than on a good few point and shoots, and sensor size is more or less the biggest factor, outside of tech involved.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sony and Huawei will surely pass them. Samsung might be loosing steam, but they are also active with a ton of commercials for Edge and Edge+.

Sony is about to get fucked over. Pretty phones mean very little at this point. It will take a miracle to lift those sales.

And AFAIK, S6 sales were nothing to rave about. Quite the contrary.

There are very few genuinely useful implementations of it yet. Most are just little shortcuts. Twitter for example gives the options of search, new tweet and new message from the home screen.

I use it all the time for moving the text input cursor though. Apply force to the keyboard and it becomes a trackpad, if you will, which allows you to accurately move the cursor around. Much better than tapping an area and getting the position completely wrong which just about any phone I can think of suffers from.

hwalker84

José Mourinho;181146502 said:
There are very few genuinely useful implementations of it yet. Most are just little shortcuts. Twitter for example gives the options of search, new tweet and new message from the home screen.

I use it all the time for moving the text input cursor though. Apply force to the keyboard and it becomes a trackpad, if you will, which allows you to accurately move the cursor around. Much better than tapping an area and getting the position completely wrong which just about any phone I can think of suffers from.
Yes. Turning the keyboard into a trackpad is godlike. Did you know when you're in trackpad mode if you press even harder it will act like holding the left click in on a mouse?

The fingerprint reader is also godlike. I appreciate the time to have a usable phone. Reach into pocket with fingerprint on the reader. Press button as you're pulling the phone out. Phone is unlocked and ready before even bringing it to your face. Unlike the iris scanner which looks like ass in comparison.

Things that suck about iOS. Could really use glance. Miss having information on the lockscreen. Facebook contact sync is pathetic on IOS. Only sees 47/488 contacts vs windows phone which sees 488/488.

JaggedSac

The fingerprint reader is also godlike. I appreciate the time to have a usable phone. Reach into pocket with fingerprint on the reader. Press button as you're pulling the phone out. Phone is unlocked and ready before even bringing it to your face. Unlike the iris scanner which looks like ass in comparison.

Sound like you should get an Apple Watch. Imagine how much faster you can get to important information in your life just by lifting your wrist. You won't even have to reach in your pocket.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yes. Turning the keyboard into a trackpad is godlike. Did you know when you're in trackpad mode if you press even harder it will act like holding the left click in on a mouse?

you do know that this is the one feature that most demonstrably doesn't require 3D touch, right? It's odd that everybody is declaring the keyboard trackpad the killer feature when it's also available on the iPads which don't have 3D touch. When Apple demonstrated the keyboard trackpad on the iPad during WWDC there was lots of cheering and clapping for the feature activated by a doubletap. 3DTouch is just an excuse to restrict the feature as a selling point to upgrade to the newest iPhones.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
b88KlxT.jpg

Nice.

Give me orange!

edit: that really is very good looking. Like the 930/830, only better and thinner and nicer.

which phone is this? Is it real or someone's render?

A Microsoft employee tweeted that pen support was coming.

I'm getting the feeling that this maybe part of the reason why the 950XL won't be available on a carrier. The pen rumors mentioned the XL case incorporating a pen yet zero 1st party cases were shown on Tuesday. Perhaps it will come later and the XL will be reintroduced under a carrier or the software is far from ready and will be introduced with the Surface Phone.

JaggedSac

Curious if we will see any ruggedized backplates that also protect more from drops. Might be less bulky than putting a case on top of the backplate.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I'm getting the feeling that this maybe part of the reason why the 950XL won't be available on a carrier. The pen rumors mentioned the XL case incorporating a pen yet zero 1st party cases were shown on Tuesday. Perhaps it will come later and the XL will be reintroduced under a carrier or the software is far from ready and will be introduced with the Surface Phone.

Sounds about right to me. Surface's pen is probably a too much of a huge motherfucker for it, though.

hwalker84

you do know that this is the one feature that most demonstrably doesn't require 3D touch, right? It's odd that everybody is declaring the keyboard trackpad the killer feature when it's also available on the iPads which don't have 3D touch. When Apple demonstrated the keyboard trackpad on the iPad during WWDC there was lots of cheering and clapping for the feature activated by a doubletap. 3DTouch is just an excuse to restrict the feature as a selling point to upgrade to the newest iPhones.

Alot of the 3d touch features could be done without pressure and based on timing.

Blackhead

Redarse
Alot of the 3d touch features could be done without pressure and based on timing.
Ok so why is it a gamechanger compared to the cursor control already on the Windows Phone keyboard which doesnt need pressure or timing activated modes?

Source tweet please? I would buy an 950XL with pen direct from Microsoft if available... There wont be any carrier support in Canada anyway, I hope Miscrosoft wont make it another US exclusive

Vyer

iPad cursor implementation isn't a double tap. It's a two finger long press. Selection is two finger double tap and hold.

3D Touch implements them together with the pressure sensitivity and allows one handed use, which is considerably better when it comes to a phone

geez, now i gotta decide where my dollars go. xbox one may get a $50 price discount, i'd like to purchase the Band 2, 950/950XL would be nice but i'm just starting to enjoy my 830 with denim. hmmmm

Things that suck about iOS. Could really use glance. Miss having information on the lockscreen. Facebook contact sync is pathetic on IOS. Only sees 47/488 contacts vs windows phone which sees 488/488.
I actually didn't know that. Text selection is now easier. Nice one.

I agree with the fingerprint reader too. Compared to my fathers 6 it's a huge improvement. Not the 6 was bad but on his you actually have to hold the finger on there for a second where as the 6S it's suffice to press the button and immediately lift your finger. Stupidly fast.

Pretty sure on the iPad it's a two finger zoom gesture on the keyboard. Regardless, force touch makes it easier particularly for single handed use and as hwalker has now just pointed out the further press makes it even more useful. And let's be honest, Apple don't even need to push a new feature to shift their latest phone. The phone's existence is enough.

I'm thinking about getting a Band 2. Anybody had any experience with the original think they are worth it? I'd mainly use it for tracking runs. Does it have the ability to preset intervals and notify you when they are up? I image it should, that seems pretty standard but want to make sure.

KageMaru

The thing is, it didn't even look like grain from using a high ISO. It looked like a harsh smoothing algorithm was being used. I will try taking some night shots tonight using my wife's S6 and see what they are doing on there.

I would love to test and compare a bunch of phone when the 950 launches. LG, Samsung and Apple all have decent cameras. I wonder how they would stack up.

I meant as in its comparable to the sensor of a device which is solely a camera. The sensor on this is larger than on a good few point and shoots, and sensor size is more or less the biggest factor, outside of tech involved.

I know what you meant, I was just being an ass. =P

José Mourinho;181146502 said:

That sounds like an awesome feature. Wonder how long it'll take for other companies to adopt this tech.

Nero3000

From thurott

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/6746/your-fear-of-limited-lumia-availability-is-misplaced said:
But I was also told that part of this strategy would involve rethinking its carrier relationships. Those carriers that were friendly to Windows Phone—like AT&T in the United States, I was explicitly told—would continue to be offered the chance to sell Windows phones going forward. Those that were not—Verizon, again, explicitly—would not.

(I didn’t discuss T-Mobile or Sprint with Microsoft, but their fates are pretty clear: T-Mobile is on the friendly side, if not as friendly as AT&T, and Sprint is effectively dead.)

Makes sense, Verizon has not been a good partner, discontinuing the icon whilst having the exclusivity of the 930 family.

Windows Phone sells like absolute shit in the US, only reasonable that they focus on the far more successful European countries for the next 18 months until the next wave of phones come along.

Doffen

Windows Phone sells like absolute shit in the US, only reasonable that they focus on the far more successful European countries for the next 18 months until the next wave of phones come along.

I doubt we'll see Nokia level of focus from Microsoft when it comes to Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL here in Europe. They need to get retailers and/or providers to push these devices, but I don't think we'll see that happening.

Microsoft did a small push for Lumia 640 when it launched and offered 1 year of Office 365 Personal. But now it looks like they've forgotten the device.

kazinova

Going to the nearby MS Store to check out the devices today. My wife is definitely replacing her phone. I'm going to gird my loins and desperately try to avoid pre-ordering a phone.

Ganondolf

But a phone takes two years, I'm doubtful about what panay can influence in 6-9 months.

Microsoft already said they will release a intel phone in the first half of next year. I believe people with connections in MS are saying around May. I think the Surface phone has been in development for a while but the issue is the intel cpu. I think they are waiting for the mobile Core M cpu.

mm04

Microsoft already said they will release a intel phone in the first half of next year. I believe people with connections in MS are saying around May. I think the Surface phone has been in development for a while but the issue is the intel cpu. I think they are waiting for the mobile Core M cpu.

That's why I'm going with my upgrade for the 950 and then if/when the Surface phone pops, I'll buy it outright if it's worth it. The screen on my 920 both in the upper area and lower area started suffering from discoloration which is noticeable when faced with a white background. I can only put up with that for so long.

JaggedSac

When did they say this?

Doffen

Canada news:

MobileSyrup has learned that as of now no carriers intend on selling the Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL in Canada. Microsoft will sell the phone through its own in-store and Ecommerce channels outright and unlocked, for $749 and $849 CAD respectively

mobilesyrup

q1YGLKS.png

clav

From thurott

Makes sense, Verizon has not been a good partner, discontinuing the icon whilst having the exclusivity of the 930 family.

Sprint still sells the 635 on its site unlike Verizon and T-Mobile.

All signs point to Microsoft being a bad partner in pushing their phones.

Top Bottom