• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

You sure they were listed?

Jupp, that's where I got the initial Swedish pricing. Was on the site with a price, no date. Now it's gone completely. Apparently not even Microsoft Sweden knows when/if the phones will be coming here

How long does it take to check for updates....

If it's the phone update you mean, it can take a very long time. I usually set it to look for updates, and then just leave it for 20-30 minutes.

Doffen

This cover though:

rxN2x6E.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, I'm really not sure where this perception that Lumias don't hold their price and are dirt cheap after a few months comes from.

Because it's bollocks of the highest degree.

The 930 still was over 300 quid after 9 months even when purchased form dodgy places in Hong Kong. If you wanted to get one for that price in the UK you'd have to buy it second hand.

JaggedSac

Amazon is selling the 930 for $400. How much was it on release? Seems like it should be less now because it is only $150 less than the 550.

Doffen

I wouldn't risk buying a Windows Phone from another OEM. The best way to experience the platform is currently on a unlocked Lumia.

nillapuddin

Long shot here but does anyone know of an app for WP that can scan all currently available wifi hotspots and retrieve data from them that can be exported? I'm currently doing an internship where my duty is going to be mapping the wifi strength along my city's main corridor but the current app they use is from 2011 and has been giving me trouble on my android devices. The app needs to retrieve the names, MAC addresses, strength, etc of the hotspots. I doubt there is anything like this but its worth a shot since only my Icon is on a cell network (useful for retrieving data when I can't connect to said wifi).

https://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldK...k_that_you_can_create_a_heatmap_of_your_wifi/

dunno, just remember seeing this on reddit a long time ago

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Worst Apple product by far.

I actually like the trackpad quite a bit, but the Magic Mouse has been shit since the Mighty Mouse clit days.

Exactly, it's not like ATT is helping the cause. Might as well go at it alone and sell both their unlocked flagships at the MS Store and retailers like Best Buy.

Focus on 550 variations for all the carriers.

geez the 950 really was removed the the MS store and site? they only feature the XL now.

At&t exclusivity clause at work? I still show up for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phones/?order_by=Latest

I don't know why they even try at this point, this constant reset every year is getting old. They constantly undo all the works they put in with the Lumia and now just want to reset again with next year Surface Phone.

Purchasing of Lumia from Nokia was so stupid.

Broman1978

I got the feeling that Microsoft is pushing the 950XL way more than 950. Is it because the XL is more expensive or is it just a "much" better phone? I was under the impression that the only really difference between the phones is just the screensize? Performance wise they are just the same right?

JaggedSac

I got the feeling that Microsoft is pushing the 950XL way more than 950. Is it because the XL is more expensive or is it just a "much" better phone? I was under the impression that the only really difference between the phones is just the screensize? Performance wise they are just the same right?

Processor is different and I think the XL is the only one with the liquid cooling/heat pipes.

Processor is different and I think the XL is the only one with the liquid cooling/heat pipes.

Good to know. There's been a discussion recently suggesting that the 950 and XL both have universal radios so they should be compatible with all networks [including CDMA]. Now the Micosoft specs don't list those frequencies but some have suggested that the chipset allows for this but it just hasn't been enabled by Microsoft. Any truth to this?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Does not look like Microsoft is pushing these devices AT ALL. They are just going to let it die, no carrier partnership announcement other than vague AT&T statement. I doubt carrier will bother picking this up in Canada.

Selling it for $750 and $850 CAD is just badshit cray

JaggedSac

I just may have never noticed this, but has there always been a list of recent contacts going down the left side of the phone when in the messaging app in horizontal orientation when in a conversation?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Big decision come Nov/Dec.....fork out $900 and get the XL or go Android. Annoying that my carrier likely won't get the 950XL.

I just may have never noticed this, but has there always been a list of recent contacts going down the left side of the phone when in the messaging app in horizontal orientation when in a conversation?

It's a part of the recent update (although doesn't appear on all phones depending on screen size/resolution).

This cover though:

rxN2x6E.jpg
Gold frame, red panel, silver ring, black sensor. Grim.

This is why there should be no horrible camera rings. Any replacement plate for the regular 950 is going to look even worse with the even bigger silver ring.

Worst Apple product by far.

I actually like the trackpad quite a bit, but the Magic Mouse has been shit since the Mighty Mouse clit days.
Hmm, Magic Mouse was the only aspect of Mac usage I didn't hate on the odd ocassion I was required to use one in work.

Top Bottom