• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kazinova

Looks like I'm going back to 8.1 for a time...and then thinking long and hard about how much I like all of the W10M features.

And then going to the new build. I'm a sucker for being on the latest and greatest (and borked-est).

I cannot get any feature to work consistently at this point, so if I'm going to hard reset the phone I might as well get on the latest build.

n64coder

Did anyone get this email from the Microsoft Store? It's about up to $200 off today only on select computers.

The interesting part of the email is at the bottom where it says "Make your smartphone more productive". Come in-store from Oct 16-18 and get three free apps to increase your productivity and get a $25 gift card. So I'm going to stop by Friday to get my card. This will help pay for the 950 XL.

maeh2k

We're getting 3D touch guys!

Also, new preview build has just been released.

Long press plus ellipsis seems dumb. So you have to change into the same mode you use to rearrange your home screen and unpin stuff to open the app more efficiently? Weird.

I feel like the jump list should open immediately on long press. Otherwise it gets to cumbersome and undiscoverable to be efficient.

Even then long pressing something seems counter intuitive to get somewhere faster. Maybe introduce double tap instead? Or display options immediately on pressing the tile. As a radial menu that lets you open the menu and slide towards an option in one gesture.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Long press plus ellipsis seems dumb. So you have to change into the same mode you use to rearrange your home screen and unpin stuff to open the app more efficiently? Weird.

I feel like the jump list should open immediately on long press. Otherwise it gets to cumbersome and undiscoverable to be efficient.

Even then long pressing something seems counter intuitive to get somewhere faster. Maybe introduce double tap instead? Or display options immediately on pressing the tile. As a radial menu that lets you open the menu and slide towards an option in one gesture.

Submit some feedback

JaggedSac

Nah, single click should always open app.

Efficiency of jump list using long hold compared to launching app and navigating to that function depends completely on app and function. Two second long hold isn't much.

In my opinion there shouldn't be an ellipses on long hold. Just show the jump list and have two corners contain the unpin and resize bubbles like it is now.

JaggedSac

So I need to roll back to 8.1 first? Is that the only way forward from here?

Do I use the recovery tool for that? Have not done yet
Thx

Yes, for this build you would have to use recovery tool to get back to 8.1.

That is only for this build though. Next one will work for folk's already on Win10 if you want to wait it outm

Klocker

Yes, for this build you would have to use recovery tool to get back to 8.1.

That is only for this build though. Next one will work for folk's already on Win10 if you want to wait it outm

Ok cool thanks yes just went and read Gabe's blog ... think I'll wait it out for next build, which I am hoping to put on the daily driver anyway instead of backup

Thx

That or Microsoft wants to pretend it's 2009, when it would have been acceptable to feature such buggy, unupgradable software that could impress.

But, I really need to try it out in a store to see if new hardware really does make it shine.

Trying to update to the new build now - what a pain. I forgot there'd be a hundred other updates to do once I reverted back....

But... Do we finally have a real facebook app!?
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-new-facebook-beta-app-windows-10-mobile.html

Best part about apps designed for Windows 10 Mobile is apps are finally designed to support high res/large screen phones.

It is downright amazing how few apps have UI scaling for the 1520 (including most of the MSFT's own apps).

We're getting 3D touch guys!

Also, new preview build has just been released.

I should've complained earlier, lol.

Anyway, how is this build? I already reset my phone to win 8.1 about a week ago, but I'm missing win10 so much.

It's incredible, how it was most of the time non functional for me but I can't get over how much of improvement it is already. It looks better (yeah, that was a shock for me too, I always deemed win8 to be the looker, but downgrading was quite jarring), the new action center makes all the difference, and the built in apps are insanely better too.

Ms is building something really special with win10 mobile too, hope that effort doesn't go wasted by decisions like releasing the OS before it's ready, or sending their devices to die on the market.

win 10 mobile will never be optimized for old devices. mark my words.
I'm running it on a 640, not that old.

Seems not too bad on my 830 so far. How much time did you spend with it?
Only played with it for about 30-40 minutes. It's not terrible, I just wouldn't recommend people jump on it yet. It's the snappiest build I've seen yet but I still get loading screens and have had a few app crashes and hang ups.

640 gives me a really frustrating lag between dragging my finger down from the top of the screen and the notification centre opening. That issue was present in 8.1 but it's very noticeable in 10, and it's really bad the first time I do it after a reboot.

Also...

xuRKUyn.png

I know I keep banging on about software buttons but they just add to the clutter that is the bottom half of this screen shot. Being able to hide them is practically pointless because you're forever swiping them on and off screen.

Lichter

Too many camera apps. Windows camera, Lumia camera, Lumia camera beta... I'm lost.

Which one do I have to take if I want to record 4k videos with my 1520? (W10 mobile)

Too many camera apps. Windows camera, Lumia camera, Lumia camera beta...

Which one do I have to take if I want to record 4k videos with my 1520? (W10 mobile)
I think that the official word is to use windows camera except for 1020 users.

Windows camera is supposed to have all the features and it's the one that's going to be improved going forward.

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;181752519 said:
I know I keep banging on about software buttons but they just add to the clutter that is the bottom half of this screen shot. Being able to hide them is practically pointless because you're forever swiping them on and off screen.

You know what you can never swipe away? Hardware buttons ;)

I'm running it on a 640, not that old.

Only played with it for about 30-40 minutes. It's not terrible, I just wouldn't recommend people jump on it yet. It's the snappiest build I've seen yet but I still get loading screens and have had a few app crashes and hang ups.

640 gives me a really frustrating lag between dragging my finger down from the top of the screen and the notification centre opening. That issue was present in 8.1 but it's very noticeable in 10, and it's really bad the first time I do it after a reboot.

Also...

Have you tried the option to match the "task bar" to match the accent color? I think it's better because it keeps the on screen buttons visually detached from the UI, instead of blending in and adding to the clutter.

JaggedSac

Joscsé Mourinho;181754931 said:
know, the beautiful bastards. Just sitting there, never in the way of your reen. Serving their purpose without impeding you.

I know I used to accidentally hit the capacitative buttons on my 1020 all the time. But regardless, you were talking about something cluttering up your view and in real life, hardware buttons would be in the exact same spot.

I must be one f the few, but I much prefer the software buttons, on both windows tablets and phones. I even disabled the start button on my SP3, because all that the times I used it was when touching accidently.

Dunno why, even on the phone, I find myself mistapping the buttons almost never compared to my 1020 or 930.

Have you tried the option to match the "task bar" to match the accent color? I think it's better because it keeps the on screen buttons visually detached from the UI, instead of blending in and adding to the clutter.
Yeah, not a fan of that either.

I know I used to accidentally hit the capacitative buttons on my 1020 all the time. But regardless, you were talking about something cluttering up your view and in real life, hardware buttons would be in the exact same spot.
Except, of course, there is a clear physical distinction between on screen content and the bezel of the phone. I doubt anybody would say that hardware buttons feel like they encroach on the display. If that were true then you'd expect the Microsoft logo on the top bezel would also feel like it was part of the display, which of course, you don't.

Secondly, there are apps where the software buttons have to be swiped away to have full screen access or to get at other controls. That becomes more bothersome when they have to be swiped back in to use the back or home buttons. That's never an issue with hardware buttons. Full screen all the time with the dedicated controls where you expect them.

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;181757769 said:
Except, of course, there is a clear physical distinction between on screen content and the bezel of the phone. I doubt anybody would say that hardware buttons feel like they encroach on the display. If that were true then you'd expect the Microsoft logo on the top bezel would also feel like it was part of the display, which of course, you don't.

Secondly, there are apps where the software buttons have to be swiped away to have full screen access or to get at other controls. That becomes more bothersome when they have to be swiped back in to use the back or home buttons. That's never an issue with hardware buttons. Full screen all the time with the dedicated controls where you expect them.

To each their own. I personally have gotten to where I use the button I want and then swipe it away. Especially if I am playing a game on the toilet and having to hold it sideways. Nothing more pain in the ass than hitting a button on accident.

dat buttonless view ;)

Yeah, yeah, camera shutter, volume, etc.

kazinova

I did like the extra screen real-estate when I was using the 950XL at the store. Not sure how that would be as a daily driver. I might get tired of endlessly flicking the buttons away and then back onto the screen.

Can't wait to have impressions of 10549, just need to get my 84 apps to slowly, painfully, reinstall. I already have to submit feedback about how the Store still can't seem to update apps in the background.

Also...

The search button right above the search button is awful.

I'm sticking with the 1520, and I'm not going to pretend that the software buttons aren't a factor in not wanting to upgrade to the 950xl.

There would be a search button above the search button regardless of whether it was hardware or software. One option, however, has the capability to go away.
A hardware button on the phone makes for a distinction that doesn't exist in the software. That said, it would seem like a good design guideline for mobile UI would be to not have a search button at the bottom of the screen.

JaggedSac

A hardware button on the phone makes for a distinction that doesn't exist in the software. That said, it would seem like a good design guideline for mobile UI would be to not have a search button at the bottom of the screen.

For a mechanical button sure, but a capacitative button doesn't seem to offer much distinction when the interaction is effectively the same in my mind.

For a mechanical button sure, but a capacitative button doesn't seem to offer much distinction when the interaction is effectively the same in my mind.
A part of the screen vs a part of the bezel is pretty big difference in my mind.

Regardless, search button being there in the UI isn't a good decision.

Paganmoon

Search button not being contextual, and changeable to Google (afaik) makes it obsolete anyway.

Speaking of the buttons, I've always found the back button to be annoying as hell, as it from time to time decides if it's going back within the app, or back out of the app (close it) and so on. Since the swipe and X to close apps was implemented it should've defaulted to always being back within the app, no matter how you got to the app (from live tile, or from "task view" as task view normally "remembers" to use it within the app, normally, not always). Now that you've got me started, the hold back to get task view should've been hold windows button to get task view, making the back button a dedicated back button.

And for all it's faults and annoyances, I still like WP and my 640 better than my new iPhone 5s I got from work.

ElNino

Search button not being contextual, and changeable to Google (afaik) makes it obsolete anyway.
This just reminded me of a lady that was in the Microsoft store when I was there to checkout the new phones and Surface.

She was buying what appeared to be the 640 (or 640XL) and then right before she left she asked how to remove Bing and replace it with Google. I wasn't close enough to hear exactly what the MS sales person was telling her, but she got really upset and started yelling "Bing is crappy! I hate Bing!". The MS sales person was pretty calm and just helped her get to Google and then let her go on her way, but she was still shouting on her way out.

JaggedSac

Speaking of the buttons, I've always found the back button to be annoying as hell, as it from time to time decides if it's going back within the app, or back out of the app (close it) and so on. Since the swipe and X to close apps was implemented it should've defaulted to always being back within the app, no matter how you got to the app (from live tile, or from "task view" as task view normally "remembers" to use it within the app, normally, not always). Now that you've got me started, the hold back to get task view should've been hold windows button to get task view, making the back button a dedicated back button.

I've never had trouble with the way the stack works on WP. It is certainly something a ton of people have issue with. Gerstman went off on the latest Bombcast bitching about it on the Bone, where it works similarly to WP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This just reminded me of a lady that was in the Microsoft store when I was there to checkout the new phones and Surface.

She was buying what appeared to be the 640 (or 640XL) and then right before she left she asked how to remove Bing and replace it with Google. I wasn't close enough to hear exactly what the MS sales person was telling her, but she got really upset and started yelling "Bing is crappy! I hate Bing!". The MS sales person was pretty calm and just helped her get to Google and then let her go on her way, but she was still shouting on her way out.

Lol

Bing correctly predicted the Jays to win in 5. Based Bing

Top Bottom