• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

The Samsung took the night time photo at 1000 iso at 1/20s shutter speed.

Lumia took it at 1000 iso at 1/7s shutter speed.

The Lumia was more confident in the OIS and as such went with a slower shutter speed, allowing for more light. Interestingly the Samsung does some pretty drastic noise reduction, causing a large loss in details and they possibly added some brightness as well. The mega pixel advantage of the Lumia helps with the details and they seem to be embracing the grain from higher ISOs, going for a more natural, filmic look and staying away from heavy noise reduction. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this thing.

I stopped by two MS stores (Natick & Burlington, MA) to look at the new phones. Both of them didn't have it. They had them but sent them back last week because they had prototype models or something like that. They were expecting the new phones to show up at the end of November.

So that's probably the launch date ... November or early December.

Klocker

On w10m preview, there is an option to choose which one drive account to send pictures/voids too but you currently can still only use the default phone account. There appears to be a drop down menu to switch that but it's not working yet. Anyone know if account switching /choosing is supposed to be available in future?

Pretty sure I'm moving to T-Mobile. Goodbye Verizon and goodbye verizon representatives.

'Are you sure you want to buy WP, there are no apps'. Yes I'm sure you dolt.

dLMN8R

Pretty sure I'm moving to T-Mobile. Goodbye Verizon and goodbye verizon representatives.

My wife and I just switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.

$100/month for:
  • 2 lines
  • Unlimited voice
  • Unlimited texting
  • Free usage in Canada / Mexico
  • 10GB high-speed data per line
  • 7GB of that can be used for tethering

Signal seems to work fine so far.

Only gotcha was that it was a pain in the ass to make MMS and data work right on the unlocked AT&T Lumia 830s. Had to enter manual APN settings and all that. And now MMS is weird in that it shows a "NoSubject" title for every single MMS message, but it's not really a problem.

dLMN8R

I had to wait a day or two after finishing the AT&T Next payments, but once that was done the unlock was pretty much instant. I submitted the request and seconds later got the unlock code. Then entering the unlock code was easy too.

Sweet. Could you do it all online?

Last time I unlock my Lumia I had to call At&t rep but it's pretty painless process. Call, they check if your phone is eligible for unlock then they give you code and ask if you need help on getting it unlock.

I don't know about T-mo, their service is terrible down here in the southern part of Washington. My friend at work switch to T-mo last year and she constantly never able to get signal while in door. (And we work in Portland area so it's not like we are out in the middle of the sticks) I get full LTE most of the time and always receive calls and text when inside the building. That said most of my co-workers are on Verizons because of coverage, I would never get CDMA phone and be at the wimp of my carrier to activate my phone.

hankster

If you are in a good at&t area run the numbers on Cricket. I have 3 lines unlimited talk and text and 10G data (5 and 2 @ 2.5) for $100/mo no contract.

Klocker

If you are in a good at&t area run the numbers on Cricket. I have 3 lines unlimited talk and text and 10G data (5 and 2 @ 2.5) for $100/mo no contract.
Wow. I just checked and with my 5 lines, I'd be at $210/mo (which is about what I pay ATT) but... There is $100/ discount for 5 lines?! What?

Gotta switch if that's true

Also after high speed data is used up they just throttle and don't charge for going over? $110 after discount with five lines at high speed 5GBx1, 2.5 x4 lines high speed

Must unlock and switch five phones though in store. Could take a bit and be a Pita. But man save $90/mo

nillapuddin

I would consider leaving AT&T for Cricket tbh

Im not sure I fully understand what I would be doing, in terms of cost and quality differential, but Ive heard its cheap enough to consider the change

edit: wow, reading comprehension fail. I had the tab open forever and didnt refresh to see hankster talk about cricket

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was investigating Android if I'm unable to get the XL, seems like there isn't much consensus in Android GAF, everyone hates everything?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was investigating Android if I'm unable to get the XL, seems like there isn't much consensus in Android GAF, everyone hates everything?

There is no perfect phone on Android, it depends on what you are looking for, what your priorities are, and what your budget is.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There is no perfect phone on Android, it depends on what you are looking for, what your priorities are, and what your budget is.

Camera and runs smooth pretty much the key things followed by screen and design. It will be on contract so price isn't too big of an issue.

Klocker

From what I understand yeah, AT&T bought them awhile back from what I understand

I dont understand how to make Crickets website work, how do I make it have 2 phone lines?
from what I read you have to set up first line and after it is activated you can adds others. Not sure how long we need to wait to do other lines.

Need to go into store to do more than one at a time.

ElNino

I hear the G4 camera is pretty great. Not sure about the other aspects of that phone though.
I was considering the G4, but it seemed Android GAF didn't have much to say about it and recommended the S6 over everything else.

What I've been looking at so far is (with current on contract CAD prices):
LG G4 - $100
Samsung Note 5 - $260
Samsung S6 - $210
iPhone 6S - $430
iPhone 6S+ - $560

or wait for the Microsoft phones (off contract):
950 - $750
950XL - $850

I'm not necessarily a hug fan of iOS for day-to-day stuff, but both my wife and son have iPhones so I guess using iMessage would be good for us.

I've been curious to try Android for a while, but every phone has draw backs from what I've seen. G4 has pretty good specs and SD support, but not sure how I feel about the buttons on the back. S6 is decent at everything, but no SD support. Note 5 is similar, good phone but no SD card support.

nillapuddin

It is AT&T's network. However, FYI, the LTE speed for Cricket costumers is capped at 8Mbit/s.

how can I determine how much that will affect me?

from what I read you have to set up first line and after it is activated you can adds others. Not sure how long we need to wait to do other lines.

thanks, Ill just call my local place or skip in there and get all the details

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I thought i wouldnt like a big phone, but when i held the 950XL I liked it. As long as its in my pants pocket I'm good.....so i guess anywhere between 5.2 and 5.7". I also dont use a case.

Nexus 6p, depending on camera reviews, might be your best bet.

Otherwise you could consider a G4 off contact and then wait until next year to buy a flagship. I don't know how it is in Canada, but I got my G4 pretty cheap on eBay.

G4's flaws are mediocre battery for its size and no fingerprint sensor, otherwise the camera, screen, and performance are top notch. Samsung phones are top of the line in terms of hardware, but suffer from performance degradation in software and aggressive task killing to preserve battery life. HTC failed on camera again. Wait for the reviews on the new nexus phones, but the consensus is that this hasn't been the best year for Android hardware. If you can, buy off contact this year. Save your contact for the expensive flagships next year.

I'm actually weirdly excited about the new lumias. I've been watching YouTube videos of win10 phone and it looks decent, too bad my 930 bit the dust. If the unlocked Microsoft store versions get non carrier dependent updates, I'll probably jump in.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nexus 6p, depending on camera reviews, might be your best bet.

Otherwise you could consider a G4 off contact and then wait until next year to buy a flagship. I don't know how it is in Canada, but I got my G4 pretty cheap on eBay.

G4's flaws are mediocre battery for its size and no fingerprint sensor, otherwise the camera, screen, and performance are top notch. Samsung phones are top of the line in terms of hardware, but suffer from performance degradation in software and aggressive task killing to preserve battery life. HTC failed on camera again. Wait for the reviews on the new nexus phones, but the consensus is that this hasn't been the best year for Android hardware. If you can, buy off contact this year. Save your contact for the expensive flagships next year.

I'm actually weirdly excited about the new lumias. I've been watching YouTube videos of win10 phone and it looks decent, too bad my 930 bit the dust. If the unlocked Microsoft store versions get non carrier dependent updates, I'll probably jump in.

Thanks. Off contract will likely not be an option. If i buy unlocked it will be the XL.

The G4 is interesting. Not too worried about not having a fingerpeint reader. Im giving Microsoft/carriers in Canada until Nov.20th for more information. If it isnt looking good i will get a G4 and the Band 2.

Pretty much planning to make the move to T-mobile as well. Coverage seems similar to Sprint in the Metro DC area. The plan is cheaper and more options for phones. May grab a couple 640s for now and then delegate them to other family members on the plan when the 950 XL available.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Yeah bias employees pisses me off more than anything in store.

You can't cancel orders on the Microsoft Store through their website. You have to call them.

Da fuck?

Yep... pretty horrible too when you want to return stuffs as you have to call and get authorization and since the website and stores are run by two separate companies you can't return it the store either. Microsoft ...

hankster

It is AT&T's network. However, FYI, the LTE speed for Cricket costumers is capped at 8Mbit/s.
egD5UYv.jpg

I was on at&t before cricket and it seems the same to me.

hankster

Wow. I just checked and with my 5 lines, I'd be at $210/mo (which is about what I pay ATT) but... There is $100/ discount for 5 lines?! What?

Gotta switch if that's true

Also after high speed data is used up they just throttle and don't charge for going over? $110 after discount with five lines at high speed 5GBx1, 2.5 x4 lines high speed

Must unlock and switch five phones though in store. Could take a bit and be a Pita. But man save $90/mo
They throttle if you hit your allotment. No overage charges.

My wife was on first. I joined got $10 off. Added my dad and got another $20 off for his line.

NeOak

egD5UYv.jpg

I was on at&t before cricket and it seems the same to me.

That is not LTE. Not with that god awful ping.

You're running that on HSPA/3G/Fake4G

Also:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...load-speeds-8-mbps-lte-4-mbps-hspa/2014-05-20

Edit:

Aaaaaaaaaand:

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20306&cat=3189

Will the new Cricket customers enjoy the same LTE speeds that AT&T offers to its customers?
- The new Cricket provides 4G LTE download speeds of up to 8Mbps, great coverage, and network quality to deliver a first-class wireless experience for value-conscious customers in the no-annual-contract space.

Nero3000

Threshold 2 is rumoured to "RTM" on the next couple of weeks...wonder when they are going to announce some of the W10M/W10 integration.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Threshold 2 is rumoured to "RTM" on the next couple of weeks...wonder when they are going to announce some of the W10M/W10 integration.

It kida makes you wonder what the fuck MS was doing for all these years. They had the biggest user base in the world (using Windows on PC). They could have done so much more since the WP7 days to integrate their phone OS with their PC in big way to convince Windows users to use WP before it was too late.

But unfortunately their Windows team and WP team were completely different with shitty management and not sharing info. Its too late now. Irony is, Apple is doing exactly same except they have made iOS and Mac OS nicely integrated that iOS user now consider buying Mac.

What the fuck Microsoft.

hwalker84

It kida makes you wonder what the fuck MS was doing for all these years. They had the biggest user base in the world (using Windows on PC). They could have done so much more since the WP7 days to integrate their phone OS with their PC in big way to convince Windows users to use WP before it was too late.

But unfortunately their Windows team and WP team were completely different with shitty management and not sharing info. Its too late now. Irony is, Apple is doing exactly same except they have made iOS and Mac OS nicely integrated that iOS user now consider buying Mac.

What the fuck Microsoft.
It was pretty cool when someone called me on my iPhone and my work iPhone also started ringing.

I remember when we talked about the possible integration between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. It's a shame that politics always get between innovation like that.

JaggedSac

I keep reading about the 6P's giant camera sensor. It isn't giant. It is 1/2.3". The 1020 had a 1/1.5" sensor, that is a giant phone sensor. Also, S6 and 950 have 1/2.4" sensors and I wouldn't consider those giant by any means.

n64coder

From what I understand yeah, AT&T bought them awhile back from what I understand

I dont understand how to make Crickets website work, how do I make it have 2 phone lines?

Cricket makes it a pain in the ass to do more than 1 phone at a time. Possibly to discourage people from trying to buy a bunch of "burners". The normal way is to get a single line, activate it when you get the sim card and then order the next line. yes, one line at a time.

The way around that is to create 5 new accounts separately. So you'll pay 5 * 40 up front. Then after you activate the 5 lines, you contact Cricket Customer and ask to combine the accounts into 1. Then your account will show that you have ~$100 credit because of the group save discount.

You can do more than 1 if you create multiple accounts and combine them into 1. That's what I've done. I have two accounts with 5 phones each to cover my family and some relatives/friends.

JaggedSac

Google love knows no bounds.

I even read it was dslr quality, think it was TechCrunch. Silliness going on out there. The sensor is half the size of a full frame dslr and about a two thirds the size of a cropped frame such as a canon rebel. And that isn't even getting into lenses.

Remember when we discussed Windows Phones in this thread? Those were good times.

Good times...

**sobs**
I'll be discussing the 950/xl once we get closer to launch. I'm thinking XL because I've already got a iphoooooon that's small. The XL's battery, liquid cooling (lol?), camera, and thin frame just might win me over to try one of these phablets. Plus I need a new Dev device with my R.I.P. Icon

dLMN8R

I remember when we talked about the possible integration between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. It's a shame that politics always get between innovation like that.

Unfortunately it's not so much politics as it is competing schedules. Now that we're all one big happy(-ish!) team, and all planning together and on the same schedule, it's finally possible for the obvious to happen.

Top Bottom