• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

I go back to Google maybe once or twice a month, but Bing is more than good enough and the rewards program is great.

Bing is trash for tech problems especially when searching for recent stuff.

And the image size option is lol. 800x600 is large and mo way to set custom res. Stupid Bing.

dLMN8R

I'm confused about how they describe Rich Capture. Is Rich Capture the over-arching term/feature used for all three of these?
  • Multi-exposure shots for HDR
  • Dynamic flash so you can configure how much flash is used
  • Static vs. moving objects
?

JaggedSac

I'm confused about how they describe Rich Capture. Is Rich Capture the over-arching term/feature used for all three of these?
?

I believe so. But dynamic flash isn't configuring how much flash is used, it is taking a photo with flash and without and then mixing the two in various amounts to get the amount of light you want. There was a video from the event that showed it. Along with that, the flash will change color depending on the environment you are shooting in. Neat stuff.

Items 1 and 3 are taken care of by the multiple exposures used for HDR anyway. They decided they might as well remove motion blur while they are at it.

?

From what I've seen, yes. The principle is kinda the same, they just take some cues to figure what really do (like if rich capture is enabled and flash is on, or if they detect that the camera is moving, or if the subject is moving), but for all the cases it involves taking several pictures with different parameters (exposure, flash on/off, shutter speed, and so on) and then though image analysis decide the perfect blend of these images.

MCD

My 640 got yellowy all of a sudden:

PKr2XQG.png

JaggedSac

I really like this image they took:

Unfortunately, they stripped the exif metadata from the night time comparison shots. Wanted to see what shutter speed and iso they were taken at. Not going to call foul, but those two are the only ones where they did that.

JaggedSac

So Juha got back to me with the Lumia iso and shutter info for the night shot. 1000 iso and 1/7s. That OIS is doing good work being able to handle 1/7s with no blur. Without stabilization I have a hard time with 1/60 or 1/80.

I think he will get back to me with the S6 numbers. Curious to see how slow the OIS allowed the shutter to be on there.

This is also assuming they didn't have a tripod or some other cheat in place, lol. But I'll try not to be cynical.

joshschw

Wow, this new build is much more unstable than the last one. Crashes, reboots, apps ceasing to function. Even had my back button just stop until a reboot. Got a text, clicked it.. phone rebooted. text GONE.

I feel like I've been the most optimistic person here but this is not a good build....

JaggedSac

Wow, this new build is much more unstable than the last one. Crashes, reboots, apps ceasing to function. Even had my back button just stop until a reboot. Got a text, clicked it.. phone rebooted. text GONE.

I feel like I've been the most optimistic person here but this is not a good build....

Yikes, was debating rolling back to 8.1. Definitely not now.

Klocker

Oh god... W10 desktop was pretty dammed good at release and within a week or two but between these builds and the NXBE, I'm friggin wondering wth is going on with MS development

joshschw

Yikes, was debating rolling back to 8.1. Definitely not now.

It is definitely more refined visually, and snappier, but yeah... hold off IMO.

Also my location icon seems to be on almost always, which I find odd.

The apps are also getting updates and they are better - might get them on 10536 as well, though that messaging app reliability is... scary.

Also OS builds improve app performance and visual cues.

hwalker84

1520 has been stuck at the spinning gears for over 24 hours. Whats the advised method for recovery? The progress bar is around 15% and doesn't seem like it's moving at all.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-reportedly-blocking-new-microsoft-lumia-950

plus the coming rate increase to grandfathered unlimiteds.

Pretty clear message here.

so, several devices from several companies, including Huawei, HTC, Motorola and even the crowdfunded Nextbit Robin all work unlocked on Verizon (and Sprint) but this one just ... they can't get it to work and somehow also there's no word on Sprint, but it's Verizon. it's always Verizon right? this doesn't sound like one to blame on Verizon, despite how evil they are.

MCD

Well Verizon feels like shit since MS repeatedly gives ATT exclusives. Can't really blame them entirely.

Or maybe MS isn't pushing Lumia as hard as they should.

When I visited the stores in Houston, Surface was front and center. Lumia? In the back.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, wait for a week after launch.

They will be paying you for getting the phone and they'll throw in a hand job after two weeks.

joshschw

I would probably honestly only count the icon out of those three...which was discontinued after like 4 months by Verizon, right?

and the Icon was pitched by salespeople with gems such as "Oh, you probably don't want that phone"

ATT may not guide people towards them, but if you're looking they're much more likely to just go with it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
went by the MS store this morning and got the $25 gift card. The new band is super nice looking, can't wait till mine gets here.

the new 9xx XL phones are huge, yet lighter than my icon. Way to much phone for me, the 940 was a good size for me.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What $25 gift card?

if you go to the MS store between the 16th and 18th and let them help you download 3 free apps on your Windows Phone, IPhone or Android, they will give you a $25 gift card. The dude looked at my phone and said I had everything already so he just gave me the gift card without doing anything.

hadareud

The Translator
This is all I wanted. :( I loved my 1020. Such a unique phone... When I heard the McLaren rumors and leaks, I was so crushed to hear it was cancelled.

RIP 1020. :(

The McLaren wasn't a 1020 successor. It was rumoured to have a worse camera than the 930.

edit: not worse, similar

New photos have been published today, showing McLaren in every possible angle. The aluminum device runs Windows Phone 8.1 with on-screen buttons, alongside 2GB of RAM and what appears to be a 5-inch 1080p display. Compared to the iPhone 6, the camera bump on McLaren is clearly significant, but it’s not a 50-megapixel shooter as some have speculated. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the device was designed to look like a successor to the Lumia 1020, but that the camera was around 20 megapixels in reality and similar to the Lumia 930 and Lumia 1520.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7375791/microsoft-mclaren-canceled-phone-photos

n64coder

I stopped by two MS stores (Natick & Burlington, MA) to look at the new phones. Both of them didn't have it. They had them but sent them back last week because they had prototype models or something like that. They were expecting the new phones to show up at the end of November.

Top Bottom