• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Unfortunately it's not so much politics as it is competing schedules. Now that we're all one big happy(-ish!) team, and all planning together and on the same schedule, it's finally possible for the obvious to happen.
It's a nice feel. Some growing pains this release, but I'm looking forward to the next two years worth of releases.

JaggedSac

Unfortunately it's not so much politics as it is competing schedules. Now that we're all one big happy(-ish!) team, and all planning together and on the same schedule, it's finally possible for the obvious to happen.

Paul mentioned in the new leaked build there were notifications for missed calls and texts. So it appears it is coming.

hadareud

The Translator
You know you're going to regret it once the new phones are out in a few weeks and everyone will be posting glorious photos.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You know you're going to regret it once the new phones are out in a few weeks and everyone will be posting glorious photos.

I know :( the fact that it is difficult to get doesn't help me though. I can always sell it and come back though.

Also this way I can afford to get a Band 2.

JaggedSac

Yup....going to be an interesting experience....feels weird.

Pour-out-some-liquor.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Never thought this day would come. I don't even know how to ger my contacts over, lol.

Hopefully I'll be back for the surface phone.

this_guy

Never thought this day would come. I don't even know how to ger my contacts over, lol.

Hopefully I'll be back for the surface phone.

I have all of my contacts synced to my Gmail account, and my Windows Outlook account syncs contacts from Gmail. I set this up a few years ago so I don't remember the exact steps, but it should be an option in your Outlook settings. If I get another Windows phone in the future I'll have my contacts ready to go.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Feel like I'm on the verge of getting a G4, help! I'm weak!

Lol, I own the phone, but if you want me to help you stave off temptation, here's my best shot:

Battery is way too weak for a large phone, it doesn't match what other big phones can do. No timeline on marshmallow. No biometric authentication, and every flagship is now basically requiring this feature. No metal on the build. Volume rocker and power button in the back takes getting used to. Speakers are in the back and not particularly strong. Can get hot near the SD card slot, I believe it may have damaged one of my cards, but not 100%

That's all I got.

Edit: I was too late? Lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, I own the phone, but if you want me to help you stave off temptation, here's my best shot:

Battery is way too weak for a large phone, it doesn't match what other big phones can do. No timeline on marshmallow. No biometric authentication, and every flagship is now basically requiring this feature. No metal on the build. Volume rocker and power button in the back takes getting used to. Speakers are in the back and not particularly strong. Can get hot near the SD card slot, I believe it may have damaged one of my cards, but not 100%

That's all I got.

Edit: I was too late? Lol

Lol, crap. Not too worried about biometrics and no metal. Don't put anything important on the SD....got it!

ElNino

This is your fault Satya, you made me do this :(
Oh no Shuey... I feel like I'm alone now. ;-)

Who knows, I may join you soon enough; there's only so long I want to go on my corporate subsidy plan without actually having a new phone to take advantage of it.

Paganmoon

Are we surprised people are jumping ship after the announcements? I mean Microsoft doesn't even seem to want the phones. Not much time dedicated to them in the event, and almost 2 months from announcement 'till launch, without a solid date even. (Could very well have to do with OS not being ready, and not manufacturing etc.)

Anyway, I'm staying.

This is new: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083720

List of win10 mobile compatible printers. The list seems fairly extensive.
Not extensive enough.

My printer witch did work with windows rt, and is supported on win 10 via the device discovery (I don't have to install any driver manually) isn't supported.

Hope that this either doesn't represent the actual range of supported printers and they are just playing safe or that just a initial list with more support coming really fast.

Suerte

I was considering jumping ship, but seems like a skip year for Android anyway, I may as well stick around and pick up a 950.

Camera and runs smooth pretty much the key things followed by screen and design. It will be on contract so price isn't too big of an issue.
I would recommend you go with iPhone if these are your requirement. I am mostly happy with my OnePlus but Google blocking outlook calendar and account is having nw thinking switching to iphone.

ElNino

I would recommend you go with iPhone if these are your requirement. I am mostly happy with my OnePlus but Google blocking outlook calendar and account is having nw thinking switching to iphone.
Say what? Google blocks Outlook calendar on Android? That would be a fairly big con if true for me.

Also, for contacts and what not... do Android and/or iOS combine contacts into one location like WP if they come from different sources (ie. Microsoft, Google, etc)?

Say what? Google blocks Outlook calendar on Android? That would be a fairly big con if true for me.

Also, for contacts and what not... do Android and/or iOS combine contacts into one location like WP if they come from different sources (ie. Microsoft, Google, etc)?
Hasn't work for me since last Lollipops update and all contacts are gone. Also can't sync hotmail because 5.0 doesn't support Microsoft account. So you have to use another calendar app to get outlook calendar where I used to have all my calendar in one place.

The contact really blow because I have to import all my hotmail account to Google. And now I have to places I have update so I am ditching Google for iphone next upgrade.

Also camera on many Android might be good but the camera software suck.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to give it a few days. I like the speed of the device and access to apps, but I don't like not having a camera button, contacts are a bit of a mess, annoyed Facebook profile pics don't sync, not as elegant as WP, Groove isn't good.

My outlook calendar is fine, even got to the widget.

CaptainABAB

Are we surprised people are jumping ship after the announcements? I mean Microsoft doesn't even seem to want the phones. Not much time dedicated to them in the event, and almost 2 months from announcement 'till launch, without a solid date even. (Could very well have to do with OS not being ready, and not manufacturing etc.)

Anyway, I'm staying.

I'm not going to argue against all of your points but they did spend a good bit of time around the continuum feature at the October hardware event. In fact, that demo was one of the most memorable parts of that event, mostly due to the fedora hat guy.

Part of the problem is that everyone already knew all of the details.

Not really a Windows Phone post, more of a Windows Tablet post, but I couldnt find any specific thread for this:

Anyone bought SunAge from the Windows App Store?

Do I need a mouse to play it? Is it adapted to touchscreen?

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not going to argue against all of your points but they did spend a good bit of time around the continuum feature at the October hardware event. In fact, that demo was one of the most memorable parts of that event, mostly due to the fedora hat guy.

Part of the problem is that everyone already knew all of the details.

Pretty much.

They should have spent time speaking about the camera, though. It's the standout feature, something unique in the market. The one category where they lead everyone else. A blog post a week later is not doing it any justice.

Other than that, the presentation was fine.

this_guy

I'm going to give it a few days. I like the speed of the device and access to apps, but I don't like not having a camera button, contacts are a bit of a mess, annoyed Facebook profile pics don't sync, not as elegant as WP, Groove isn't good.

My outlook calendar is fine, even got to the widget.

Yeah I hate that Facebook pics don't automatically sync. I use sync.me from the app store to sync FB pics to my contacts.

That's been the price since the announcement though, nothings changed (unless you're referring to the rumored prices, but we've known the $549 price since the event.)

Sorry, meant the 950's price is better than the $650 price of the XL. I don't think I'd pay the $100 premium for half an inch of extra screen.

n64coder

I have all of my contacts synced to my Gmail account, and my Windows Outlook account syncs contacts from Gmail. I set this up a few years ago so I don't remember the exact steps, but it should be an option in your Outlook settings. If I get another Windows phone in the future I'll have my contacts ready to go.

Surprised that people would have contacts saved locally on their phone or other device. A lot of people still do this. I can't imagine not having it in the cloud. I can access my contacts from my phone, computer, surface, ipad, etc and it's all in one place.

joshschw

Surprised that people would have contacts saved locally on their phone or other device. A lot of people still do this. I can't imagine not having it in the cloud. I can access my contacts from my phone, computer, surface, ipad, etc and it's all in one place.

From being the tech support for what seems like half the people I know... Android absolutely sucks for contacts. just them being on a google/gmail account doesn't mean they'll sync to your phone easily... trust me on that one.

I never realized how awesome WP contacts were until I used an iOS device. Then I have 30 different entries for all of my good friends. It's horrible.

NeOak

I never realized how awesome WP contacts were until I used an iOS device. Then I have 30 different entries for all of my good friends. It's horrible.
It was awesome until it started to overwrite the nicknames my friends use on Skype with their names from my contact list or overwrite their names in my contact list with their nicknames from Skype.

And the Facebook app has refused to sync in over a month now.

Edit: And it always closes now when I try to sync.

And I have to relink all my phone contacts to my Facebook contacts.

Fuck this shit.

Top Bottom