• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

Surprised that people would have contacts saved locally on their phone or other device. A lot of people still do this. I can't imagine not having it in the cloud. I can access my contacts from my phone, computer, surface, ipad, etc and it's all in one place.
I don't believe anyone here is talking about having their contacts saved locally on the phone. It's just when you have contacts stored is more than one "cloud" location (ie. MS, Google, iCloud, etc) that it can be a pain to combine them all into one central contacts list.

My experience with WP is that it is pretty good for that. All of my contacts are in one place and I never need to worry about where they are coming from. If I move to Android or iOS, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get it back like that (responses here would suggest it wouldn't be easy/possible).

JaggedSac

I don't believe anyone here is talking about having their contacts saved locally on the phone. It's just when you have contacts stored is more than one "cloud" location (ie. MS, Google, iCloud, etc) that it can be a pain to combine them all into one central contacts list.

My experience with WP is that it is pretty good for that. All of my contacts are in one place and I never need to worry about where they are coming from. If I move to Android or iOS, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get it back like that (responses here would suggest it wouldn't be easy/possible).

I just noticed the other day after Skype updated on the Bone(not sure if it has been that way all along, I dont think so though), that I could call all my contacts from my MS account on there. Not just Skype contacts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like a crazy person right now, lol. I don't know if I should stick with the phone. Maybe the new mobile build will temp me back.

kazinova

I'm riding my 1520 into the sunset. W10M seems to run well enough on it. I'll be jealous of the iris scanning stuff when it hits but I'll run this 1520 until W10 succeeds or fails.

ElNino

I just noticed the other day after Skype updated on the Bone(not sure if it has been that way all along, I dont think so though), that I could call all my contacts from my MS account on there. Not just Skype contacts.
I noticed the same thing on the my PC when I was setting my son up on my Office 365 subscription. I rarely use Skype, so I'm not sure when it changed but I had contacts in Skype that only existed in my MS account that had mobile contact numbers.

NeOak

I noticed the same thing on the my PC when I was setting my son up on my Office 365 subscription. I rarely use Skype, so I'm not sure when it changed but I had contacts in Skype that only existed in my MS account that had mobile contact numbers.

They merged them and didn't tell anyone.

I unlinked the Skype contacts from my contacts on my phone list

joshschw

There is definitely payment settings in the settings so it is definitely in the works?

Lol, I think they were there on wp8 launch too.

joshschw

New Facebook app seems fairly nice. Certainly smoother than any old one.

Will probably revert back to wp8 again for the newer build. Just been too frustrating with the crashing and everything, it can't hurt right? Right!?

I'm going to give it a few days. I like the speed of the device and access to apps, but I don't like not having a camera button, contacts are a bit of a mess, annoyed Facebook profile pics don't sync, not as elegant as WP, Groove isn't good.

My outlook calendar is fine, even got to the widget.
Are you using outlook app for calendar and mail? That app is so slow to open (hallmark of Microsoft app?) and hang pretty often. I hope now that they bought Sunrise they will eventually merge.

Edit: Sunrise support Outlook calendar along with Google and Facebook and is a much better app

This used to work great on Android where you can your Hotmail account co-mingle with your Google but with Lollipop 5.1 Google pretty much remove Microsoft account ability to sync to their calendar app and contacts so basically they want you to migrate all your stuffs to Google. (yeah, do no evil, whatever at this point they are just as bad as Microsoft in the 90s)

Anyway, you can import all your contact to Gmail account and from now you pretty much update all your contacts via Gmail and if you want to keep your Hotmail contact up to date then you will have to manually update there too. That said, I know iOS still support Microsoft account contact and calendar but I don't know if you can edit from there and it would save to Microsoft cloud like on Windows Phone. Yeah, I miss my old Windows Phone where all the contacts are in one place and easily link and manipulate.

As for Calendar, I know on iOS you can use Outlook and edit from there but again in Android you would have to get 3rd party app as Google calendar will now only see Google account. Sunrise calendar is really nice as I mention above and they were recently bought by Microsoft. It doesn't have Outlook sign in (used to before 5.0) directly but you can go into the app and add outlook calendar. It's one of the better looking app and pretty responsive. Outlook App on Android for me was slow, crash prone and well slow.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using outlook app for calendar and mail? That app is so slow to open (hallmark of Microsoft app?) and hang pretty often. I hope now that they bought Sunrise they will eventually merge.

Edit: Sunrise support Outlook calendar along with Google and Facebook and is a much better app

Ill have to give Sunrise a try. The Outlook mail part seems to work good. Need more time with it though. I only want to use my gmail account for the play store.

My favorite thing is definitely how fast the phone is....I guess if I was able to get an XL it would be speedy too. I also like the Next Lockscreen app.

I'll give the G4 some more time before I decide what to do.

joshschw

This restore back to 8.1 went a whole lot quicker once I unchecked "Automatically update my apps" on start up. That was the biggest delay in this back and forth stuff.

I'm going to take the dive with my daily 1520, but I can't get my apps & settings backup to successfully complete on 8.1 before I make the update.

Klocker

When on this new build someone please check something for me?

In one drive app (or from photos) can you check settings and see if you can change the upload account that photos are sent too?

I assume you would need to have more than one one drive account as I do but maybe not. In current build, it appears to have a drop down menu to change to but will only let me use phone account

Tia

joshschw

Oh, this is not good. Updated and screen is just black now... :(

Edit: Nice, I plugged it in to restore back to 8.1, and it kick started something!

Edit 2: it's acting funky, but I'll let it settle itself.

First impressions:

It is acting funky
Notification bar is much more responsive
Font rendering looks changed.

Edit 3: Okay, guess this is not just me: https://youtu.be/kUUXRwPoRus?t=236

Edit 4: Okay, this is definitely much faster, but still seems really glitch. my keyboard keeps disappearing when I am typing in app names in store (omg yes it's back, the disappearing keyboard has returned!)

I'm up and running on my 1520, but after several soft resets and restarts, I still can't get wifi to turn on.

Looks like I'm a victim to this:
Devices that have updated from Windows Phone 8 to Windows Phone 8.1 may lose the ability to connect to Wi-Fi on Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds or may fail to update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds all together. You can use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to first update your device to Windows Phone 8.1 and then upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build.

Oh well, was hoping I wouldn't have to reset.

Only journalistic thing Tom Warren has done in ages was tweet that pic. Haha.
Not to defend him but most of those guys use several phones so it doesn't really mean anything. It would be dumb to be a tech guy and use only one single OS. My brother who run little tech store and a giant Apple fanboys rotate through all the phones and tablets. He use iPhone as his main but has Lumia, Galaxy and Nexus and even Surface despite how much he always complain about Microsoft.

Not to defend him but most of those guys use several phones so it doesn't really mean anything. It would be dumb to be a tech guy and use only one single OS. My brother who run little tech store and a giant Apple fanboys rotate through all the phones and tablets. He use iPhone as his main but has Lumia, Galaxy and Nexus and even Surface despite how much he always complain about Microsoft.

But both of the Windows Central guys were using iPhones. A coincidence? I think not!

e: The FB app is still build by Microsoft? Oh man...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
"WhatsApp for Windows Phone has been updated"
"Unfortunatelly we don't have a changelog to tell you what's new"

Thank you, Windows Central. It's not like I couldn't see the notification on my phone anyway.

Thank you, Windows Central. It's not like I couldn't see the notification on my phone anyway.

Shit like that is why I unfollowed everything and everyone Windows Central and Neowin. It's basically spam that clutters my feed.

hwalker84

You know whats weird about being back on the iPhone? The daily significant app updates with detailed changelogs. Not only that but the Microsoft apps get updated more on iOS than WP :(

Top Bottom