• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Maybe I'm just all emotional and positive because I can now use VPN on my phone.

I set it up this morning and almost cried when it worked.
I said grass is not all that green. Play Music hang and crash on me a few times and the interface is ugly. I miss auto-wifi log in on my Lumia and simplify audio control. I still can't find where to change my notification setting.

My brother said he just got 8.1 and Cyan on his international 1020 and he said the camera is so much slower. Those that got the cyan on your 1020 do you think camera is slower?

Dilly

Banned
Finally a notification bar and a slideable bar for movie playing.

Too bad you can active GPS and WiFi but not mobile internet from the notification bar.

maeh2k

Sometimes I notice that the phone is using my mobile data when I am at home and connected to Wi-Fi and it pisses me off.

In the cellular settings, do you have the option to use data in the case of limited Wi-Fi connectivity turned on?

PG2G

In the cellular settings, do you have the option to use data in the case of limited Wi-Fi connectivity turned on?

Where is this option? Pisses me off when the phone connects to a low reception wifi ideas of using a strong cell connection

maeh2k

Where is this option? Pisses me off when the phone connects to a low reception wifi ideas of using a strong cell connection

It's in the cellular + SIM options below the setting for data roaming. Not sure how exactly it works. Never noticed it.

PG2G

Looks like the HTC One with Windows will still use the Snapdragon 801. Kinda silly that Nokia didn't put it into the 930 if the OS supported it. Lazy!

It's in the cellular + SIM options below the setting for data roaming. Not sure how exactly it works. Never noticed it.

Weird, don't have it.

jY0YBi5.jpg

NeOak

Weird. Both my Lumia 930 (running the newest preview) and my father's 1020 running the regular 8.1 + Cyan have it.

I'm using a 1020 on AT&T running 8.1 Update. Maybe it needs Cyan or is carrier dependent.

Nothing on my end.

jbp3uYBKvkRwRT_xs.jpg

My 1520 has it. o.o

Commodore

Given it looks like the Windows Phone version of the HTC One M8 is set, and though I do love HTC's design (plus that dot case is pretty cool), I'm not sure I want to stray from Nokia, and given there's no real flagship to upgrade to from my 920, I'm becoming more and more likely to either wait or get an iPhone 6 or something. Don't really want to switch, but I want to feel like I did when the 920 was announced. It felt like they were doing something compelling with a bunch of the hardware and the design. But there seems to be nothing they are going to announce this year that is near the originality of the 920 in its time. Maybe its the switch over that stalling things with a big hero device they had in the pipeline, but it seems ludicrous that they wouldn't have a solid upgrade path for all those 920 users from two years ago that isn't a decent leap from what they have. The 930 isn't doing it for me, the 1530, still not sure I'd dig a BIG phone, but I would like that bigger battery. Its just, I want to get excited about something here, and it ain't happening.

Microsoft plz.

giphy.gif

Ape

Banned
Given it looks like the Windows Phone version of the HTC One M8 is set, and though I do love HTC's design (plus that dot case is pretty cool), I'm not sure I want to stray from Nokia, and given there's no real flagship to upgrade to from my 920, I'm becoming more and more likely to either wait or get an iPhone 6 or something. Don't really want to switch, but I want to feel like I did when the 920 was announced. It felt like they were doing something compelling with a bunch of the hardware and the design. But there seems to be nothing they are going to announce this year that is near the originality of the 920 in its time. Maybe its the switch over that stalling things with a big hero device they had in the pipeline, but it seems ludicrous that they wouldn't have a solid upgrade path for all those 920 users from two years ago that isn't a decent leap from what they have. The 930 isn't doing it for me, the 1530, still not sure I'd dig a BIG phone, but I would like that bigger battery. Its just, I want to get excited about something here, and it ain't happening.

Microsoft plz.

giphy.gif

The iPhone 6 looks pretty nice.

Pretty much certain I'm getting an iPhone 6 in September unless Microsoft announces a hero phone for ATT before iPhone 6 preorders come out.

Me too. Still going to have my 920 but I like to switch up my main operating systems with my contract phones.

hwalker84

Microsoft plz.

giphy.gif

Pretty much certain I'm getting an iPhone 6 in September unless Microsoft announces a hero phone for ATT before iPhone 6 preorders come out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Do you guys have me on ignore? Lol, I don't know about everyone else giving advice about the M8 camera, but I own the device. Use it every day. Camera is horrendously bad. No redeeming qualities. Everything else is absolutely top notch.

NeOak

Do you guys have me on ignore? Lol, I don't know about everyone else giving advice about the M8 camera, but I own the device. Use it every day. Camera is horrendously bad. No redeeming qualities. Everything else is absolutely top notch.
So might as well put duct tape over it and forget it exists?

The Flash

Banned
People aren't receiving my texts anymore. I tried changing the mms settings but nothing seemed to work. I'm using a 920 on Straight Talk with a AT&T sim.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So might as well put duct tape over it and forget it exists?

If you need to take a picture of your lunch, it works ok. I know the old cliche about something being "good enough", but this camera doesn't belong in a 2014 flagship, much less in a phone whose software, performance, design, speakers, and battery life make it one of the top smartphones being manufactured today.

dLMN8R

Wait, is it really the rumor that the HTC W8 will not go to AT&T? Another fucking exclusive for Verizon? Cause of so....jesus, comon.

Sometimes I notice that the phone is using my mobile data when I am at home and connected to Wi-Fi and it pisses me off.

WinPho turns off wifi when the screen is locked by default, and thus uses mobile data for background updates etc. If you change that setting under wifi settings, it should stop doing that.

joshschw

Wait, is it really the rumor that the HTC W8 will not go to AT&T? Another fucking exclusive for Verizon? Cause of so....jesus, comon.

What's wrong with releasing a device on a platform that has 3% marketshare in US, of which you have 2% share of, on an exclusive carrier????

Top Bottom