• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

mint just discontinued their wp app.

Bye Bye Mint!

I probably wouldn't have cancelled had it not been for this...

There's so much about the Windows Phone app that we love - and it's hard for us to say goodbye to it - but we are confident that this change will help you get even more out of Mint.

Like seriously? Screw you.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I dont understand these developers. How can you not justifying putting app on a platform that has millions of users at least. Ya I know its no where near in hundreds of million like Android and iOS. Still, its not like you need maintenance amd resources everyday to keep the app running. Just re use the code and make it W10 universal app. Jesus. Fuck

hwalker84

Anyone care to load the Android app? Matter of fact why the hell haven't we seen/heard more about Project Islewood and Astoria.

Does it just not work as well as we're lead to believe?
Do devs not have the tools to even use it?
Do devs just not care?

hadareud

The Translator
I wouldn't expect many developers to port apps to an OS that hasn't been released yet using tools that haven't been released yet, frankly.

giga

I don't see anything wrong with what mint said. Clearly they're saying that instead of using the half assed WP mint app, you'll now be forced to use your computer, which has the full featured webpage. I think this is a big win for the entire WP community, who are needlessly harassing Mint when they've actually made your life better.

NeOak

I don't see anything wrong with what mint said. Clearly they're saying that instead of using the half assed WP mint app, you'll now be forced to use your computer, which has the full featured webpage. I think this is a big win for the entire WP community, who are needlessly harassing Mint when they've actually made your life better.

image.php

Vyer

lrJ9mVo.jpg

I've never used Mint but I'm releaved to know that I have gotten and will continue to get so much out of it by not having it.

I know I'm on iOS now and could have it, but if users can get such a great experience by not having access, why should I download it?

What an app.

Why ever do you bother?

The change of not letting you use the app will help you better use the app.

Actual what.

Because now that they don't have to spent the millions it cost to develop and maintain their WP app that nobody uses they will be able to make the app better on other platforms, and everyone
except WP users
will have a better experience!

Klocker

Can not believe we are getting these abandoning ship announcements with w10 and universal apps at our fingertips... It blows my mind

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Do we have a thread about the new Microsoft earnings report?

They sold only 5.8m Lumias last quarter (-38% yoy): http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-sells-only-58m-lumias-now-what

That's like one day of iPhone launch sales.
Will be interesting to see what the new Lumias can do about that. Traditionally, the high-end Lumias have never sold particularly well.

IIRC the 920 was a power seller and moved Lumias by the boatloads.

It should have taught Microsoft something about releasing more innovative phones with advanced specs, but alas...

IIRC the 920 was a power seller and moved Lumias by the boatloads.

It should have thought Microsoft something about releasing more innovative phones with advanced specs, but alas...

But the 920 was so FAT and HEAVY, which made it impossible to use and there's no way it could be anyone's daily driver. No way!

hadareud

The Translator
40% decline is dreadful, truly dreadful.

Hard not to feel that the writing is on the wall. If they'll promote these new phones as little as I suspect they will, there very likely won't be follow ups to them next year.

On the bright side, I will finally stop hearing about the Surface Phone and how amazing it will be.

Or more likely, I will hear about it even more and how amazing it would have been and how it would have saved Windows Phone.

ffs.

hadareud

The Translator
The Nexus has two advantages: price and apps.

I suspect the 950 will have a vastly superior camera (even though people rave about the 6Ps low light performance), it has wireless charging, Micro SD support, it's lighter, nowhere near as ugly etc.

Micro SD support also makes the price difference less of an issue, imo.

edit:

- 32GB - £449
- 64GB - £499
- 128GB - £579

vs £530 for the XL

So 80 quid cheaper for the base model, but if you need more storage the price difference becomes very small.

hadareud

The Translator
Late November US, first week of December UK/non 3rd tier EU was the rumour.
-------
In good news, the soft reset sorted my battery drain on the latest build and overnight battery use was pretty much on par with what you'd have expected from 8.1 (100 to 74% in 9 hours of not using it).

Maybe still a bit too high, but certainly much better than on previous builds.

Paganmoon

Some of the bigger Swedish retailers have put up info, and dates. 4:th of November, 26:th of November, and 3:rd of December. December seems most likely though.

Still nothing on the carriers though. bleh.

Edit: Holy shit, Tele2 has it up for pre-order! WP might be saved.

Suerte

I suspect the 950 will have a vastly superior camera (even though people rave about the 6Ps low light performance), it has wireless charging, Micro SD support, it's lighter, nowhere near as ugly etc.

edit:

- 32GB - £449
- 64GB - £499
- 128GB - £579

vs £530 for the XL

So 80 quid cheaper for the base model, but if you need more storage the price difference becomes very small.

Very good summary, and all definitely things keeping me in the WP camp for now.

The ability to swap covers is also another pro, it means you could change the look of the phone every so often.

JaggedSac

edit:

- 32GB - £449
- 64GB - £499
- 128GB - £579

vs £530 for the XL

There isn't much chance of the 6P having better low light performance than the 950 given the lack of OIS.

ElNino

Probably nothing.
More than likely, I don't see the 950/XL phones making much of an impact to anyone who wasn't already in the ecosystem.

Particularly here in Canada (and the US to a lesser degree) where no carriers are picking up the phone for on contract subsidy pricing. I believe that the vast majority of users buy their phones on contract, and if the phone is not even listed on their sites or in stores (other than MS) then I think it will do even less than the previous 830/930 phones.

The 830 even had the advantage of being "free" on day one, and had a great design (with somewhat sub par performance) and it didn't move very many units.

hadareud

The Translator
They probably won't convince many to switch, but there is a considerable user-base that could be tempted to upgrade to the new phones.

Considerable in WP terms, of course.

Considering the current relationship with the carriers, the lowered ambitions for the Lumia hardware, and the lack of any meaningful announcement this quarter, I think it could have been worse.

But having a high-profile app like Mint leaving the ecosystem on the eve of Windows 10 Mobile won't do any favors to the image the OS has with consumers.

Nikodemos

The 830 even had the advantage of being "free" on day one, and had a great design (with somewhat sub par performance) and it didn't move very many units.
The 830 had entry-level internals for mid-end pricing. It uses the same tired old Snapdragon 400 found in Android low-end phones. Not exactly what you'd call notable.

NeOak

Priv preordered at the US shop.

Only because the AT&T Next price would be the same or even higher and fucking carrier updates for anything not iOS take forever to be released.

Klocker

I'm almost convinced that there is a type of techno-racism against Windows devices in California...

Yep... has to have some influence... people like to establish positions of control over those who they perceive to have once been in control of them or others.

I'm almost convinced that there is a type of techno-racism against Windows devices in California...

I don't even think it's on purpose, at least not for most companies. Depending on where you are in that area, Microsoft might as well not exist. When these people say "everyone uses [Apple product]", it's because that's literally all they see. And the people who are leading those companies now, grew up with the mindset that Microsoft is the next IBM, therefore uncool and really not that interesting or relevant for the goals they want to achieve. That's entirely on Microsoft and is not something they can change in a year or two.

Back in 2010, they had a chance with Windows Phone. Not a big one, but it was there. They wanted to be the third mobile ecosystem and they launched with a beautiful, but ultimately "okay" product that was lacking in major areas (no copy/paste, no CDMA). That in and itself wouldn't have been so bad, if they had a good foundation to build upon. Instead, it had a weak foundation (updated Windows CE kernel from Windows Mobile, limited to 512 MB RAM, 1 core, Silverlight apps) that got in developers' ways and had to be scrapped. It was lipstick on a pig. Old phones couldn't be updated to 8.0 and developers had to basically maintain two code bases for 7.x and 8.0. But 8.0 was great! NT kernel and stuff! The merger of Windows and Windows Phone! A gazillion new APIs, better UI, latest and greatest hardware. And then stuff happened, Lumia 520, something something emerging markets, more affordable phones, Windows 8 bombed and I don't even know what else to say.

Like me, who's rambling like a madman, they lost the plot somewhere down the line. 18-24 months without a new flagship (depending on your region and carrier), they bought Nokia, just so they wouldn't launch high-end Android phones and a third reboot with Windows 10 and nothing to show for it.

Microsoft has great services and products, and the people growing up today, who are going to lead tomorrow's Snapchat or Uber, might have a different opinion of Microsoft. They might be in their ecosystem, use their tools and services. But what I'm still not seeing is the incentive for these people to invest into Microsoft's platform. Why build universal Windows apps?

tl;dr: Windows Phone is dead.

Lazaro

people hate windows and Microsoft, even still.

But Why? All I know is Microsoft brought a lot of companies in the 90's and they nearly had a OS monopoly years ago which for some reason made them look 'evil.' I don't know anything else other than that.

I see absolute pure "hate" wherever a Microsoft product is mentioned. Whether it's in a department store, Film, TV Show or internet in general.

Well, you know San Fransisco is cool because of Google and Apple.

Sure, I guess. The world's people should all live like Californians.

hwalker84

I don't even think it's on purpose, at least not for most companies. Depending on where you are in that area, Microsoft might as well not exist. When these people say "everyone uses [Apple product]", it's because that's literally all they see. And the people who are leading those companies now, grew up with the mindset that Microsoft is the next IBM, therefore uncool and really not that interesting or relevant for the goals they want to achieve. That's entirely on Microsoft and is not something they can change in a year or two.

Back in 2010, they had a chance with Windows Phone. Not a big one, but it was there. They wanted to be the third mobile ecosystem and they launched with a beautiful, but ultimately "okay" product that was lacking in major areas (no copy/paste, no CDMA). That in and itself wouldn't have been so bad, if they had a good foundation to build upon. Instead, it had a weak foundation (updated Windows CE kernel from Windows Mobile, limited to 512 MB RAM, 1 core, Silverlight apps) that got in developers' ways and had to be scrapped. It was lipstick on a pig. Old phones couldn't be updated to 8.0 and developers had to basically maintain two code bases for 7.x and 8.0. But 8.0 was great! NT kernel and stuff! The merger of Windows and Windows Phone! A gazillion new APIs, better UI, latest and greatest hardware. And then stuff happened, Lumia 520, something something emerging markets, more affordable phones, Windows 8 bombed and I don't even know what else to say.

Like me, who's rambling like a madman, they lost the plot somewhere down the line. 18-24 months without a new flagship (depending on your region and carrier), they bought Nokia, just so they wouldn't launch high-end Android phones and a third reboot with Windows 10 and nothing to show for it.

Microsoft has great services and products, and the people growing up today, who are going to lead tomorrow's Snapchat or Uber, might have a different opinion of Microsoft. They might be in their ecosystem, use their tools and services. But what I'm still not seeing is the incentive for these people to invest into Microsoft's platform. Why build universal Windows apps?

tl;dr: Windows Phone is dead.

Being a windows phone fan is like being on your favorite cruise ship that you can see is sinking with a staff that's mostly abandoned it but you won't leave because your room is super comfortable. Also your captain makes promises about fixing the leak yet everytime they fix it they rip it back open an start again.

Top Bottom