• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Didn't Nadella put a stop to non WP devices?

I'm with brot here. They are probably releasing whatever they already had designed and certified since why the fuck no. I mean, margins are small, but those things are basically done already.

Wait, is it really the rumor that the HTC W8 will not go to AT&T? Another fucking exclusive for Verizon? Cause of so....jesus, comon.

Now you know how Verizon costumers felt like from 2010-2013. It's not going to change, unless these phones become a bigger deal to the carriers. The 1525 was supposed to launch on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile, but nothing came out of the leak so far. I might as well pull it from the OT.

Lucius86

Banned
Think I found a rather annoying bug.

I joined a contact to another accidentally, so I unlinked them and the contacts are separated again. However, when you go into the text messaging app, previous text message conversations from said contact now revert to the old contact details - therefore you need to start a whole new text conversation with the contact you accidentally linked the account to, as the previous one is incorrectly labelled. I liked my 1.5 year old conversation history with my gf, but now instead of her name it's labelled 'Home'. I just tried it on a test contact I created, it happened again.

Sad face.

hwalker84

Think I found a rather annoying bug.

I joined a contact to another accidentally, so I unlinked them and the contacts are separated again. However, when you go into the text messaging app, previous text message conversations from said contact now revert to the old contact details - therefore you need to start a whole new text conversation with the contact you accidentally linked the account to, as the previous one is incorrectly labelled. I liked my 1.5 year old conversation history with my gf, but now instead of her name it's labelled 'Home'. I just tried it on a test contact I created, it happened again.

Sad face.

Yep. I've had this issue several times and it's incredible annoying. Basically in WP never mess up linking as the OS doesn't retain the original ownership of the thread.

ElNino

Question for those of you who use the photo auto backup to OneDrive (with a 1020 preferably).

On my 1020 I've never had auto backup on, but I'm now considering it. If I select the backup option for highest quality (over WiFi), what will backed up to OneDrive?

Is it just the full resolution files or is it both the full resolution along with the smaller (possibly) altered version? What about photos that were edited with Creative Studio (or other photo apps) where another copy is created?

MS is really conceding the high end phone market this holiday. Sure there's the rumored 1525 but then there's the midrange 730/830 phones filling in the rest of the lineup. Sucks for many upgrading from the 920 but let's face it, Nokia hasn't made a dent with their high end phones. Hopefully, the 720/830 phones are priced right and make a mass market splash.

Question for those of you who use the photo auto backup to OneDrive (with a 1020 preferably).

On my 1020 I've never had auto backup on, but I'm now considering it. If I select the backup option for highest quality (over WiFi), what will backed up to OneDrive?

Is it just the full resolution files or is it both the full resolution along with the smaller (possibly) altered version? What about photos that were edited with Creative Studio (or other photo apps) where another copy is created?

It uploads the full-resolution file. If you alter it, it also uploads the changed file.

nabman

Banned
MS is really conceding the high end phone market this holiday. Sure there's the rumored 1525 but then there's the midrange 730/830 phones filling in the rest of the lineup. Sucks for many upgrading from the 920 but let's face it, Nokia hasn't made a dent with their high end phones. Hopefully, the 720/830 phones are priced right and make a mass market splash.

Yup finally left windows phone for Android with the One Plus. I've realized microsoft is way to incompetent and just cannot compete. Broke my 1020 screen, and looked around for a new phone. Tried to live with a 520 for a month or so hoping ms would come out with something new. but nothing on the horizon.

A friend broke his LG android phone's screen where it wouldn't accept touch input but needed to get some stuff off it. He just plugged in a mouse and keyboard and he was good to go. Once i saw that i just realized how far behind WP is.

I do miss the Live tiles and keyboard but other than that nothing else.

hadareud

The Translator
Have I missed something? Has the htc one for WP been cancelled?

Not that it's not a joke that there's no Nokia flagship, but when you switch platforms for a phone that is coming out on WP in a few weeks and then complain that there's no phones on the platform that does not make a lot of sense.

hwalker84

Not that it's not a joke that there's no Nokia flagship, but when you switch platforms for a phone that is coming out on WP in a few weeks and then complain that there's no phones on the platform that does not make a lot of sense.
Not cancelled just not on AT&T. Verizon exclusive.

I'm with brot here. They are probably releasing whatever they already had designed and certified since why the fuck no. I mean, margins are small, but those things are basically done already.

McClaren, lol?
Did you know the font in the WP "emulator" site is called McClaren. What does that name actually stand for when it comes to software?

Zizbuka

Banned
Really thought I could make WP8 my every day phone. Then I went on vacation and realized how much Google maps is than everything else. Android is still the best overall experience.

JaggedSac

Really thought I could make WP8 my every day phone. Then I went on vacation and realized how much Google maps is than everything else. Android is still the best overall experience.

I've had nothing but success with Nokia's map stuff. Especially when I went on vacation overseas and downloaded the offline versions so I wouldn't use any data.

Yes, Nokia's offline map download solution is so much more painless than Google's. You tap on areas in Google Maps to save but there really isn't a way to make sure all areas are being saved. It also takes forever. In comparison, Nokia maps saves states and entire countries.

One Plus not HTC One. Not to be confuse with Xbox One or One Microsoft.

Lack of Nokia flagship is a big blunder but I can't see Microsoft staying in making consumer devices with the current cloud and enterprise CEO. And I miss WP keyboard, Google keyboard suck.

nabman

Banned

I was talking about this phone: http://oneplus.net price was just too good. And even so nothing really for Att or Tmobile.

all i really want is a 1020 successor. I never realized how good that camera was until i switched over to this phone. I mean the camera for the OnePlus is supposed to be nice but it doesn't even compare.

I was talking about this phone: http://oneplus.net price was just too good. And even so nothing really for Att or Tmobile.

all i really want is a 1020 successor. I never realized how good that camera was until i switched over to this phone. I mean the camera for the OnePlus is supposed to be nice but it doesn't even compare.
Yeah camera on it is just serviceable. They released Kit Kat update today and suppose to have new camera software. I carry my 1020 around as point and shoot.

Download SwiftKey if you have not. It's almost as good as Windows Phone keyboard.

ElNino

As much as I like Google Maps when I'm at my PC, when I've been travelling (with no data) then HERE maps have been very useful. Even when I'm not in a another country but in an area with no (or limited) data, it is very useful to have offline maps.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

SO MUCH THIS.

How hard can it be? Just frickin' copy Apple! Release the same shape device, bump the resolution and the chipset, maybe add in the 2014 colors (orange, green) and BAM, you have a winner. A competitive flagship phone without crazy R&D costs. I can't walk around with all these other stupid phones and their crappy cameras, it's killing me!

I'm sure the next iPhone is going to have crazy good battery life and a much better camera (because of the size increase), and I'm sure every reviewer will give it a 11/10 and call it the best camera phone ever, but I'll know. When I buy it and take a photo and upload it and look at it on my 55' HDTV through the Xbox one..... I'll know.

PG2G

If we don't get a flagship device this year I might hop on a 730 or 830 (off contract) til Spring and see what comes then.

I don't know if I have it in me to spend $200 to replace a cracked screen on my 1020 when I could probably get a new phone off contract for just $100-150 more.

Or maybe I'll just join AT&T Next

SO MUCH THIS.

How hard can it be? Just frickin' copy Apple! Release the same shape device, bump the resolution and the chipset, maybe add in the 2014 colors (orange, green) and BAM, you have a winner. A competitive flagship phone without crazy R&D costs. I can't walk around with all these other stupid phones and their crappy cameras, it's killing me!

I'm sure the next iPhone is going to have crazy good battery life and a much better camera (because of the size increase), and I'm sure every reviewer will give it a 11/10 and call it the best camera phone ever, but I'll know. When I buy it and take a photo and upload it and look at it on my 55' HDTV through the Xbox one..... I'll know.
A winner? It didn't sell well with ATT. Let's face it, the Lumia high end line cannot attract iPhone and high end android buyers.

This is why the Pureview camera has now made its way down the line to the 830. My guess is it will be priced between $200 and $250 while the 730 will be priced at $150-200.

I will probably keep my 1020 until it gets a true successor. I get pissed off all the time at the start up and shot to shot time but when it takes a pic, damn am I impressed. Here's a simple pic I took while taking in a dodger game. I didn't realize how much better my pic came out until my friends posted their pics on Facebook. You can see the details of the beads of water on the can if you crop.
z7qyzIr.jpg

nabman

Banned
A winner? It didn't sell well with ATT. Let's face it, the Lumia high end line cannot attract iPhone and high end android buyers.

This is why the Pureview camera has now made its way down the line to the 830. My guess is it will be priced between $200 and $250 while the 730 will be priced at $150-200.

There is a reason it didn't sell as well as iPhone or android. WP OS. Even though WP is still severely lacking at least its moved 1 step forward (in some areas). Its at least something an iPhone or android user can even start thinking about switching from.

No matter what WP will NEVER sell as good as an iPhone. That does not mean they stop making flagships. When they start making shitty lower end phones as the whole market all that will happen is people will save and then UPGRADE to an iPhone or Galaxy since that will the high tech thing to want.

Also just because they are called pureview i doubt they can complete with the 1020

Nobody is expecting any WP device to sell like the iPhone. Nor is anyone expecting the camera in the 830 to come close to the 1020.

Hey, I want a 1020 successor too but it isn't happening and I understand why it isn't happening.

If the there is a surface 3 released this fall, and it has the same 4:3 aspect ratio as the pro 3 in a 10 inch form factor and a screen as good or better, i think i would be ok holding on to my 920 until spring if they really don't have any high end nokias in the pipeline for this year.

If not, the new iPhone is sounding very tempting based on the rumors.

Btw, my battery life has significantly improved and xbox music is working great now. very fast and fluid.

I was having an issue with sync in my car where I would have to manually start music on my phone to play in the car instead of jusr getting in and music starts as soon as i start my car. This was fixed also, so awesome.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If the 830 has a decent chip set, I can live with it being 720p especially since it is rumored to be 4.5" which my sweet spot for phone size.

mine Icon is different:

weeeird.

Yeah that's what it looked like on my 920.

Strange. I've had other issues with the Podcasts app on my 1520. On my 920, I didn't subscribe to any podcasts as I listen to a few where I don't download and listen to every one (depends on topics/guests). So, I would manually manage downloading episodes of my podcasts. For the life of me on the 1520 I cannot get it to let me download episodes without subscribing.

was just going to fix up an old iphone i had, but after getting dicked around by straight talk far too often i went and bought the lumia 520 go phone from walmart today.

Absolutely loving windows so far, and Cortana is the shit. I can give her some awful song title to play that is terribly mispronounced and it works. Wish xbox music didn't fuck up all the metadata in my pretty music collection though

sidenote: how the fuck is this phone only $50? it's so speedy compared to my 80 dollar straight talk android and everything is much higher quality.

Nobody is expecting any WP device to sell like the iPhone. Nor is anyone expecting the camera in the 830 to come close to the 1020.

Hey, I want a 1020 successor too but it isn't happening and I understand why it isn't happening.
It actually make no sense as it is one selling feature of the phone. I doubt beside few of us here no one is buying Windows Phone for the OS or app ecosystem. Instead Micro Nok was investing in 3D screen...

hadareud

The Translator
Installing Cyan with the Software Recovery Tool on my 1020.

Installation failed, red screen.

Tried it again, same result.

ffs. My phone is dead :(

Speaking of Cyan, Nokia's page is been telling me for few days now that it's rolling out for my phone. But whenever I check for an update, there's nothing. No, stupid phone! You're not up to date!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I know, right? Even though Cyan does absolutely nothing for the 920! It still feels bad not having it.

Actually, Cyan has been released locally for the 920, but proper Windows Phone 8.1 hasn't yet, at least for units purchased sans a contract.

It's like what da fug.

hadareud

The Translator
Managed to get it to work.

Had to download the image again twice, worked on the 3rd USB port I tried.

Fucking hell, that was scary.

Top Bottom