• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Managed to get it to work.

Had to download the image again twice, worked on the 3rd USB port I tried.

Fucking hell, that was scary.

Installing Cyan with the Software Recovery Tool on my 1020.

Installation failed, red screen.

Tried it again, same result.

ffs. My phone is dead :(

A red screen? Hrm. What happened when it failed? Did it go from the lightning screen --> black screen --> moving gears --> red screen?

I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end, but it shouldn't be failing like that...

hadareud

The Translator
A red screen? Hrm. What happened when it failed? Did it go from the lightning screen --> black screen --> moving gears --> red screen?

I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end, but it shouldn't be failing like that...

When you use the recovery tool the screen turns a dark shade of red with the Nokia logo at the top and a progress bar below (I think it was a different colour in the past, but I can't really remember). The lighting screen is gone altogether now and the gears aren't there anymore either.

What happened was that the installation failed at 35% several times. Then you can enter recovery mode, but the tool can't actually find the phone anymore. So you have to do a soft reset which brings it back to the red screen without a progress bar.

Tried that a few times, then cancelled the installation (which the recovery tool strongly advised against) and tried it on a couple of other USB ports.

On the 3rd port it worked without a problem (you also have to download the image again each time you cancel the recovery, btw).

I've used the old recovery tool quite a few times before with a couple of phones and there was never any problem.

Was bloody scary, I already saw myself walking into the store this afternoon and buying a 930.

Fox Mulder

Really thought I could make WP8 my every day phone. Then I went on vacation and realized how much Google maps is than everything else. Android is still the best overall experience.

I actually prefer the Here stuff over google maps, it's great in my day to day use.

I'll still be going to the new iPhone though. I've had this phone for a year and feel like I've given the OS a fair shot.

Why it doesn't behave like that for me? I only get the full res upload, even if I edit before the initial upload :/

Maybe it depends on the app you used for editing?

I just checked my OneDrive: there are two copies of a picture I took and then edited (and saved) with Office Lens. There are also two copies of a picture I took and then edited within the Photos app.

What about your settings? Mine are set to automatically upload (best quality over WiFi) so it'll upload any changed pictures. Maybe it doesn't work if you manually upload.

ElNino

I just checked my OneDrive: there are two copies of a picture I took and then edited (and saved) with Office Lens. There are also two copies of a picture I took and then edited within the Photos app.

What about your settings? Mine are set to automatically upload (best quality over WiFi) so it'll upload any changed pictures. Maybe it doesn't work if you manually upload.
What about photos that are only reframed from within Nokia Camera? Would you still get the full res and cropped/reframed version?

Tablo

Hmm other day I recorded some video in Nokia Camera (on Lumia Black 920, ATT) but it didn't save or something to my camera roll, this happened multiple times. Kinda annoying.

Hmmm processed some photos with Office Lens and it did show up. Will try re cropping an image to see if they changed that too, or it's something the app itself has to support.

Edit: Now it's uploading after sequential re-crops too!

Hmm other day I recorded some video in Nokia Camera (on Lumia Black 920, ATT) but it didn't save or something to my camera roll, this happened multiple times. Kinda annoying.

This happened to my Lumia 920 towards the end of my time with it. Lost a good lifting PR video because of it :mad:

Tablo

This happened to my Lumia 920 towards the end of my time with it. Lost a good lifting PR video because of it :mad:
Yeah it sucks I had some nice tidbits of concert stuff...
oh well. I'm gonna do a hard reset after ATT rolls out Cyan, hopefully that'll clean things up a bit.

Lumia Icon on Verizon checking in. Dev preview/Update 1...awaiting Cyan.
You could not pay me to go back to ios or android

Using OnePlus One so I have been lurking on Android forums make me appreciate how nice GAF Windows Phone people are.

I love how easy it was to update phone like the 1+ (and how fast it was) but I would come back in a heartbeat if we can get a successor to 1020.

nabman

Banned
Really thought I could make WP8 my every day phone. Then I went on vacation and realized how much Google maps is than everything else. Android is still the best overall experience.

I've just switched to Android and I miss the Here Maps so much. Well for just searching a POI Google maybe better but their navigation is trash. Nokia Drive is SO DAMN good, I wish there was an android version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lumia Icon on Verizon checking in. Dev preview/Update 1...awaiting Cyan.
You could not pay me to go back to ios or android

I don't know. I thnk ios 8 could make things interesting. Third party keyboards (I hate my iPad keyboard, can't wait for swype etc), and widgets could be very interesting once the ios devs get to work with them

hankster

I don't know. I thnk ios 8 could make things interesting. Third party keyboards (I hate my iPad keyboard, can't wait for swype etc), and widgets could be very interesting once the ios devs get to work with them
If you can add a keyboard that shows current letter case instead of uppercase all the time (lame) things could get complicated...

Anyone else have issues with the searching in the podcasts app? When I updated my 920, all my podcasts from 8.0 were set as favorites, so I've never really used it. Failed to find some podcasts today searching by name and URLs.

strata8

My 930 finally arrived. Really love the AMOLED screen, even though mine had the purple tint but that was easy to fix. Camera's awesome as well.

The only problem, at least compared to my Lumia 625, is a pretty serious amount of touch lag. Like, I can go to the app list, place my finger beside a letter, swipe up and down, and you can see the letter lagging behind. It feels like I'm dragging through water and it's really awful.

The result is that while the 930 is faster in every way than the 625, navigating through the interface feels slower. The weird thing is that it's only an issue with 'native' apps (eg, the Start screen, photos, email, etc). Third-party apps like Metrotube, the new Xbox apps, Nextgen Reader, etc, are all absolutely fine.

hankster

Thanks Amazon:
U3ukNyS.jpg

MCD

Yeeahhh....animated gifs....>_>

I used to be able to hit animated gifs and copy and pasta the link and share to Whatsapp etc..

Now I cant hit them on GAF nor I can share them via OS share because it only lists facebook, messaging, nfc and OneNote.

I need a simple share to Whatsapp or a copy/paste title and URL...how is that hard for the biggest software maker is beyond me.

I'm hazarding a guess that's the look of the new iPhone? Very slim bezel.

That is indeed the new iPhone. It's a shrunken version of the current iPad. There'll be a 4.7 and 5.5" version.

And coming from a 920, everything has a slim bezel these days. I was really fascinated by the bezel on my Nexus 5 and that's not even super thin.

hadareud

The Translator
A small bezel like that will be brilliant.

Unless you don't like opening things with the palm of your hand by accident, especially now that the screen is 4.7 inch so you can easily handle your phone with one hand. It's you're holding it wrong taken to the next level.

Lucius86

Banned
A small bezel like that will be brilliant.

Unless you don't like opening things with the palm of your hand by accident, especially now that the screen is 4.7 inch so you can easily handle your phone with one hand. It's you're holding it wrong taken to the next level.

To be fair I tried a clients G3 the other day (so bigger than the reported iPhone 6 with it too having a tiny bezel), and the slim bezel on that wasn't an issue for the brief time I tried it out. I don't think it will be a big issue.

hadareud

The Translator
To be fair I tried a clients G3 the other day (so bigger than the reported iPhone 6 with it too having a tiny bezel), and the slim bezel on that wasn't an issue for the brief time I tried it out. I don't think it will be a big issue.

It all depends on how fat, I mean manly, your hands are.

Ugh... Woke up this morning and my fairly new Nexus 5 has a very fine crack down the screen. No clue how it happened, could have been days ago because I can't even tell unless viewed from the side, just noticed by chance while I was reading an article.

2 years with my Lumia 920 and I've dropped, tossed, and crashed it on things and there's not a scratch.

Worst part is I don't think the nexus screens are replaceable.

I never wanted to bring the Nexus out of the house because I was so used to the robustness of my Lumia... Can't beat that Nokia ruggedness :/

KageMaru

My 930 finally arrived. Really love the AMOLED screen, even though mine had the purple tint but that was easy to fix. Camera's awesome as well.

The only problem, at least compared to my Lumia 625, is a pretty serious amount of touch lag. Like, I can go to the app list, place my finger beside a letter, swipe up and down, and you can see the letter lagging behind. It feels like I'm dragging through water and it's really awful.

The result is that while the 930 is faster in every way than the 625, navigating through the interface feels slower. The weird thing is that it's only an issue with 'native' apps (eg, the Start screen, photos, email, etc). Third-party apps like Metrotube, the new Xbox apps, Nextgen Reader, etc, are all absolutely fine.

That's odd, my Icon doesn't do that and I don't even have cyan which has Icon/930 specific driver optimizations. There's a slight shimmer that's common with AMOLED screens, but not the lag your describing. Have you tried doing a hard reset?

Ok guys I am interested in a Windows Phone.

I have an iPhone for personal use and a Note 3 for work.

I have a feeling Apple is going to let down with the iPhone 6 just as they did with the 5s imo

I want the Lumia 1520 but I hear the 1525 is coming out soon. Should I buy the 1520 now or wait for the upgrade?

I am choosing this model because I want a phablet.

hankster

Me neither. But man, iOS is so goddamn ugly.
It's Windows 3.1 with prettier colors and mismatched gradients. But it has 5 columns now. They didn't make 10 louder- they added an 11! Magical....

The 4.7 inch one will be smaller than the 4.5" 920 with them tiny bezels.

strata8

That's odd, my Icon doesn't do that and I don't even have cyan which has Icon/930 specific driver optimizations. There's a slight shimmer that's common with AMOLED screens, but not the lag your describing. Have you tried doing a hard reset?

Not yet but will try it soon.

Purple tint is both worse and weirder than I thought. Flickers between purple and green tint when changing brightness settings, and there's very strong purple 'ghosting' when the brightness is low (esp. grey on black, eg, NeoGAF Mobile).

Microsoft knows about it so hopefully it's just a firmware/software issue. Don't want to go through the warranty process just yet.

KageMaru

I have a feeling Apple is going to let down with the iPhone 6 just as they did with the 5s imo

I want the Lumia 1520 but I hear the 1525 is coming out soon. Should I buy the 1520 now or wait for the upgrade?

There was one or two rumors a month or two ago and then nothing. I think we would be hearing more rumbling about the phone if it were landing this year. =/

Treo360

If you wind up going with the 1520 do yourself a favor, and get the 1520.3

Because having a search bars plaster all over every screens is a much better design?

Well, yes. Mostly because it doesn't have a hideous color gradient. I'm not happy about the search bar or Google's icons, but the iOS icons really look like shit. And at least I have the option to use a different launcher or icon set on Android.

e:

Here's my home screen.

KJaemhq.png

Could be worse!

Top Bottom