• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

Well look at that, they must be reading this OT :)

So I'm guessing there hasn't been any working ports since Monument Valley was brought over.

Noticed they've gotten trade-in deals for the Surface Pro 4 here in Sweden, totally surprised me. 2000 SEK trade-in value for the Surface 2.

Wonder if it's got to be fully functional, or if my Surface 2 with a cracked screen (1/4th of the screen doesn't respond to touch), and a dead battery would be acceptable.

Edit: after some searching... nope, needs to have working battery :( damn.

as I said a few weeks ago, monumentally stupid decision to ship a phone with an unfinished OS

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/3tbipw/got_my_lumia_950_any_questions/

fUgnChd.gif

kazinova

Oh man, those 950 photo samples. If those are real that's turning out to be a nice camera. I'm going to drip jealousy over my wife's 950XL

It's terrible that Windows 10 Mobile has been delayed for this long and it still isn't in an 100% functional release state. I'd love to know what the hell is going on at management that allowed something like this to happen.

MCD

It's terrible that Windows 10 Mobile has been delayed for this long and it still isn't in an 100% functional release state. I'd love to know what the hell is going on at management that allowed something like this to happen.

Windows 10 Mobile is now a garage project for new MS employees.

Suerte

That does not sound good! Still, slightly less nervous since I'll be buying an unlocked device, so hopefully updates/fixes will be released pretty regularly (although I'll probably install the insider app anyway).

hwalker84

That does not sound good! Still, slightly less nervous since I'll be buying an unlocked device, so hopefully updates/fixes will be released pretty regularly (although I'll probably install the insider app anyway).

Seeing as we have had no word that an Unlocked device is going to function like a Nexus device I wouldn't hold your breath.

hadareud

The Translator
Unless you tend to go fucking mental if you don't have the update the same day as someone else you are likely to be just fine, just like with every other unlocked Lumia in the past.

hwalker84

Unless you tend to go fucking mental if you don't have the update the same day as someone else you are likely to be just fine, just like with every other unlocked Lumia in the past.

It's the firmware we're concerned with. Nobody gives a crap about the OS updates as you can join the insider program. After getting screwed time and time again we want to know if these devices will be treated differently. It's honestly not much to ask.

hadareud

The Translator
I was speaking about the firmware updates. If they handle them the way they used to handle them, on an unlocked flagship phone you have your updates within a few days or weeks at most.

If you can't live with that, then maybe these phones aren't for you.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was speaking about the firmware updates. If they handle them the way they used to handle them, on an unlocked flagship phone you have your updates within a few days or weeks at most.

If you can't live with that, then maybe these phones aren't for you.

Where are you getting this information from? My unlocked lumia 930 was not receiving any sort of updates regularly, not even update 2.

I think I'm going 640. It would be nice to have a top of the line phone, but not $600 nicer. And the 640 at $30 seems way better than any deal on an Android as far as I can tell.

Suerte

My unlocked 830 got firmware updates pretty quickly after they were released, so I don't think that'll be an issue.

Also, from that Reddit thread, it sounds like the guy was restoring the phone from an old insider build, so could have been causing the set up issues? (or Windows 10 Mobile is just super buggy still)

CaptainABAB

Also, from that Reddit thread, it sounds like the guy was restoring the phone from an old insider build, so could have been causing the set up issues? (or Windows 10 Mobile is just super buggy still)

Why was he even doing that if it comes with the latest build? Or am I missing something...

I just don't understand why he was even messing with the W10 Insider program.

Paganmoon

I think I'm going 640. It would be nice to have a top of the line phone, but not $600 nicer. And the 640 at $30 seems way better than any deal on an Android as far as I can tell.

Running a 640 while waiting for the 950, had it since around summer, and for $30 it's a fucking steal.

Suerte

Why was he even doing that if it comes with the latest build? Or am I missing something...

I just don't understand why he was even messing with the W10 Insider program.

I think it was more he was restoring a phone back up, (settings, apps, etc) that were saved from another phone which was running an older insider build, rather than him installing an old insider build on the new phone.

CaptainABAB

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586...
http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...indows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-10586/

So Gabe just announced build 10586.11 on twitter but this person has 10.0.10586.0 - does that mean the phone OS is already out of date?

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/62419/windows-10-mobile-build-10586-has-been-released

Microsoft has released a new build of Windows 10 Mobile today that is likely RTM build that will be arriving with the Lumia 950 that goes on-sale later this week.

This is a big milestone for Microsoft as it means that Windows 10 Mobile has likely now reached RTM which is a significant internal milestone. This also means that if any other vendor chooses to ship a phone with Windows 10 on it, this will be the build that they will install.

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586...
http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...indows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-10586/

So Gabe just announced build 10586.11 on twitter but this person has 10.0.10586.0 - does that mean the phone OS is already out of date?

So, my phone on 10572 failed many times to install 10581, which is fine by me now that 10586 is out, but how do I get it to download 10586 instead of 10581? When I go to update it starts pulling 15081...just give it some time and try again later?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
From having an unlocked 930. Even my 620 got its updates, albeit a month or so delayed.

So your unlocked 930 got update 2? Mine never did until I joined the Insider program, and even then it was a fluke occurrence, when I reverted I was never able to get update 2 again. So I don't think we can make a blanket statements about version and firmware upgrades, and I think that's why we keep wondering why MS wouldn't just clear everything up by releasing a statement about updates for unlocked 950/xl phones bought directly from them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sure it's on the latest version. All the UK country variants are.

Which country was yours from?

Malaysia? Can't recall, bought it from expansys. I hope we get some clarity, especially given the lack of polish on these phones, knowing that updates are delivered nexus-style is key.

joshschw

Okay. So got 10586.11 on my 1520.

Glance settings are GONE again. So I can't disable that.
Lumia display settings are GONE. So I can't adjust display colors/saturation - so I'm stuck with a mediocre display.
I haven't even looked or tried anything else.

At least I can install apps to the device itself again from the last build which should help with speed over the SD card, even though it's a high end SD card.

Will post more impressions later.

This stuff is RTMed now so all complaints are on the table as far as I am concerned ;)

Treo360

Okay. So got 10586.11 on my 1520.

Glance settings are GONE again. So I can't disable that.
Lumia display settings are GONE. So I can't adjust display colors/saturation - so I'm stuck with a mediocre display.
I haven't even looked or tried anything else.

At least I can install apps to the device itself again from the last build which should help with speed over the SD card, even though it's a high end SD card.

Will post more impressions later.

This stuff is RTMed now so all complaints are on the table as far as I am concerned ;)

Weird, all those settings are available on my 1520.3

This .11 update has completely done my phone in (yeah I had to hard reset on the previous version too so had the reboot bug -.-).

It all ended with the blue and white sad face. I then tried a hard reset which eventually got the cogs up, but that ends in the black and white sad face.

I can't even hard reset anymore, that key combo will just keep cycling the nokia logo (L920).

Now when you turn on it just repeats that process of nokia > cogs > face. So I couldn't even detect it on the recovery tool.

Think I'm done with these damn previews after this. I always seem to fall into the small number of people that end up with updating problems.

Top Bottom