• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Was holding out for another month before transitioning to T-mobile. The down side of that is they have a pretty good promotion a few weeks ago with a family plan of 4 with 10 GB per line for $120 and then you could add an additional 10 GB per line for $10 each. Since they're all in on the new binge nonsense they've reduced it now to 6 GBs each line for the family plan.

So mostly what we would have saved every month has now evaporated with with video binge stuff. Nevertheless we won't be paying any more than we were with Sprint [even when our Sprint plan had a 25% discount] and we have definitely more options with phones.

PG2G

I'm surprised you guys are buying these new devices. Don't feel that the writing is on the wall? I guess I'm lucky that I have one more year on my 1520 contract to see how things shake out, might end up hopping on a Nexus 6P sooner than that though.

n64coder

I'm surprised you guys are buying these new devices. Don't feel that the writing is on the wall?

The phone does everything I want it to do:

- make calls
- take pictures
- send texts
- browse internet
- read emails
- access OneNote
- gps maps
- Cortana reminders
- calendar
- play music

Sure, I don't have the ability to run some of the latest games but then again, I'm not really playing them on my iPad either.

The only thing I'm missing is the ability to use Bank of America app to deposit checks which doesn't happen that often anyway. I'm looking forward to the 950XL to take advantage of the new camera.

ElNino

I'm surprised you guys are buying these new devices. Don't feel that the writing is on the wall? I guess I'm lucky that I have one more year on my 1520 contract to see how things shake out, might end up hopping on a Nexus 6P sooner than that though.
What's the alternative? I'm looking to upgrade from my 1020 and I've been considering switching platforms but ultimately haven't decided to yet.

I could go iPhone, but that would either cost me more off-contract or less to go on, but having used my wife's iPhone I'm not sure I'd like day-to-day operations as much. Apps would certainly be better though, and it would be easier for my son to use iMessage with me since he only has WiFi access.

If I go Android I could potentially save a bunch by going on-contract or buying an older phone off, but I've yet to find an Android phone that I really like. I am more interested in trying Android over iOS, but not sure on the hardware yet.

With the 950/XL, I at least have the camera I want (which I use quite a bit) and have the day-to-day stuff that I'm familiar with. Of course, I'd be happier if the app landscape looked a bit better but I'm not convinced yet that it would make a big enough difference for me to switch.

hadareud

The Translator
Exactly. They will work and work well.

Why should I give a shit about the possibility of there not being a successor. Certainly not enough to stick a barcode scanner with slightly worse hardware in my pocket.

Question..

If I get the 950 from at&t on AT&T Next, will i get software updates slower than if the phone was unlocked? Even if i join the insider program?

Question..

If I get the 950 from at&t on AT&T Next, will i get software updates slower than if the phone was unlocked? Even if i join the insider program?

carrier's have no say on insider program delivered bits (I think, don't quote me on that...I think they can block some specific updates that touch radio components...or maybe I'm making this all up).

The phone does everything I want it to do:

- make calls
- take pictures
- send texts
- browse internet
- read emails
- access OneNote
- gps maps
- Cortana reminders
- calendar
- play music

Sure, I don't have the ability to run some of the latest games but then again, I'm not really playing them on my iPad either.

The only thing I'm missing is the ability to use Bank of America app to deposit checks which doesn't happen that often anyway. I'm looking forward to the 950XL to take advantage of the new camera.
and it does so with the best mobile keyboard around.

If I switch to cricket would I be able to get an 950 XL, would I need to buy an unlocked phone to use or do they also get the phones since they are part of AT&T? I really want to switch from verizon to bring my bill down but I would also like to get a 950 XL.

NeOak

If I switch to cricket would I be able to get an 950 XL, would I need to buy an unlocked phone to use or do they also get the phones since they are part of AT&T? I really want to switch from verizon to bring my bill down but I would also like to get a 950 XL.
You can use AT&T branded phones, but you can't buy them from AT&T directly without having an AT&T account.

No, they don't get the same phones. Cricket got the 1320 for example, but never the 1520.

Since you're coming from Verizon, you'll have to get the 950 XL unlocked.

n64coder

With Cricket, you can use any AT&T phone, locked or not. Personally, I haven't confirmed this but there are numerous confirming reports from people on Howard Forums.

But if you get a Cricket phone, you cannot use it with AT&T or another AT&T MVNO without getting it unlocked. One of the reasons you want to avoid buying Cricket phones if you can help it and just stick with phones from AT&T or AT&T Go.

I don't think Cricket will be selling the 950XL. You'll need to get it from someone else.

You can use AT&T branded phones, but you can't buy them from AT&T directly without having an AT&T account.

No, they don't get the same phones. Cricket got the 1320 for example, but never the 1520.

Since you're coming from Verizon, you'll have to get the 950 XL unlocked.

With Cricket, you can use any AT&T phone, locked or not. Personally, I haven't confirmed this but there are numerous confirming reports from people on Howard Forums.

But if you get a Cricket phone, you cannot use it with AT&T or another AT&T MVNO without getting it unlocked. One of the reasons you want to avoid buying Cricket phones if you can help it and just stick with phones from AT&T or AT&T Go.

I don't think Cricket will be selling the 950XL. You'll need to get it from someone else.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Almost ordered a 950 from att this morning but realized that black Friday is right around the corner and att in the past offered a buy 1 get 1 free and my wife might be interested in a new phone too so I'll hold off.

ty_hot

suddenly my phone (wp10preview) started to give me 2 notifications for each email i get
I have my Gmail account (only email I have) and also the Microsoft account (registered with my Gmail email address).

So now I go to Outlook Mail app and it asks me if I want to use my Gmail (showing my gmail address) ou my Outlook (showing the same gmail address). wow awesome. I cant 'delete' the outlook thing. I am afraid to link both accounts and start getting 2 emails in the inbox (right now I get 2 notifications but only one email). Not sure what to do. Should I delete the microsoft account and login again?

Another thing that annoys me so much, I cant get my gmail to work in real time. Even when I choose to get emails as they arrive, there is always a delay (sometimes few seconds, sometimes few minutes) compared to my computer. Another thing, this shit doesn't sync automatically the changes I do (like when I delete one email on the phone, I can open up my email in the computer and it might still be there even if one hour has passed... so everytime i have to delete email and then click in the sync button.

argh. such a problematic app. never had problems before on WP8.1

edit.
then, the Sports and News apps, both were awesome and fast, now they are slow, I have to open then and wait 5 seconds till the news start to appear. sometimes I have the same Live Tile photo ALL DAY. When I choose one article to read, another seconds to load. Both on wifi or 3g. I dont know what Microsoft is doing with these apps (the only reason why I came back to WP was these 2 apps and Here Maps).

Facebook app is as bad as always, even slower, with problems to sync contacts, and uses a lot more data than before. Whatsapp cant send photo at first (only after the second try), and it annoys when you are in the app and it stills ring notification tones for messages you already read (they are still in the screen). sometime i erase the notifications then after some time they all come back...

and we are few days away to the official windows 10 phone launch. Congrats MS.

Milchjon

So those Instagram policy changes... what do they mean for 6tag?

Edit: Ah, Rudy already posted on Twitter:

About Instagram and this news: https://t.co/GiEmvZdbht Don't worry, my relation with Instagram is 1520 times better than with Snapchat ;)

Watch it get cut off within hours.

Exactly. They will work and work well.

Why should I give a shit about the possibility of there not being a successor. Certainly not enough to stick a barcode scanner with slightly worse hardware in my pocket.
It's OK, it will be another reboot anyway when they do Surface Phone.

Also they finally shut down Zune.

Paganmoon

All this talk about Astoria. Whatever happened to the IOS app-porting project? have we gotten anything ported like that since candy crush / monument valley?

Edit: Btw, getting ready for the 950, any good QI-charging stands that you can have the phone in landscape mode with? As in, almost like a kickstand with support on all sides, so you can use the phone/touch the screen while it's charging.
Bonus if it works both in landscape and portrait mode.

hadareud

The Translator
All this talk about Astoria. Whatever happened to the IOS app-porting project? have we gotten anything ported like that since candy crush / monument valley?

It's finished or at least it can be used right now: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges/ios

We'll see whether the Android bridge has been completely shelved or whether it's just been delayed. The rumour about the Android subsystem being included leading to build deterioration may sound a little convenient, but then, since they removed it there's no longer any build deterioration. Who knows.

Oh damn, my 950 shipped already! Crossing fingers that W10M RTM is stable.

Same here, got the email earlier. I placed my order pretty late last night as well. pretty excited :)

Really glad peoples orders of the phone are being shipped earlier than expected, I was expecting a massive delay with the shipments for some reason.

NeOak

Same here, got the email earlier. I placed my order pretty late last night as well. pretty excited :)

Really glad peoples orders of the phone are being shipped earlier than expected, I was expecting a massive delay with the shipments for some reason.
They aren't Digital River.

My Priv was supposed to ship on the 6th, they shipped it on the 17th.

I'll go to an AT&T store this Friday to see if my mom likes the 950 so we can upgrade her 920 using my contract pricing.

Top Bottom