• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is Microsoft not going to make a comment about updates on their unlocked phones sold by them online or in store? Shouldn't that be a big selling point the same way Google markets the nexus phones on their website?

I wonder if the MS site will discount or lower prices to match Amazon etc? I pre ordered the moment it went live in oct so have the good old £529 price.

nillapuddin

Fuck, just found out my contract is up in April not December (ATT)

Next 24 (30 months)
$19.97

Next 18 (24 months)
$24.96

Next 12 (20 months)
$29.95

Two-Year Commit
$149.99

I feel like a fucking idiot. No matter how many times this is explained to me I still dont get it.

I dont understand the incentive in paying over 5 times the contract cost if you arent going anywhere, there must be something Im missing.

Next 24 (30 months)
$19.97

Next 18 (24 months)
$24.96

Next 12 (20 months)
$29.95

Two-Year Commit
$149.99

I feel like a fucking idiot. No matter how many times this is explained to me I still dont get it.

I dont understand the incentive in paying over 5 times the contract cost if you arent going anywhere, there must be something Im missing.
You pay Next price on top of the $15 fee per smartphone. With a 2 yr contract the fee is $40 a month.

nillapuddin

You pay Next price on top of the $15 fee per smartphone. With a 2 yr contract the fee is $40 a month.

But at 2 years thats the same price

Phone = $15
Next = $25
----------------
Total=$40 Monthly

vs.

Contract = $40 Monthly
Phone = $150 (One time)

Again, I feel really dumb harping on this, I just dont get it.

Next 24 (30 months)
$19.97

Next 18 (24 months)
$24.96

Next 12 (20 months)
$29.95

Two-Year Commit
$149.99

If you're on an older AT&T plan (Not the new Mobile Share Plans) there's no reason to go with AT&T NEXT. On the MSP you're given a $15/$25 discount if you go the NEXT route which is cheaper than the contract plans.

Those fees are only for the new Mobile Share plans. If he's on an older AT&T plan then there's no reason to go NEXT.

But at 2 years thats the same price

Phone = $15
Next = $25
----------------
Total=$40 Monthly

vs.

Contract = $40 Monthly
Phone = $150 (One time)

Again, I feel really dumb harping on this, I just dont get it.
After 24 months the NEXT option costs $975 which includes the $15 upgrade fee. The contract option costs $1,155 which is the $40 a month plus the cost of the phone and a $45 upgrade fee. Although with the AT&T NEXT option you won't be on a 24 month cycle since the base plan is 30 months.

nillapuddin

Next is an...awful deal, no?

Im struggling to find the positives...

After 24 months the NEXT option costs $975 which includes the $15 upgrade fee. The contract option costs $1,155 which is the $40 a month plus the cost of the phone and a $45 upgrade fee. Although with the AT&T NEXT option you won't be on a 24 month cycle since the base plan is 30 months.

So $180 less, but for what benefits?

If you break your phone is there a difference?
Can you leave at any time?

If you break your phone is there a difference?
Can you leave at any time?
Most notably is the fact that all of AT&T's promotions or deals center around AT&T NEXT and not contracts. For instance (And I know this isn't Windows Phone) those $200 iPhone trade up promotions used to be for contracts but now they're AT&T NEXT only. Additionally Target/Best Buy and probably other retailers will be offering insane Giftcard deals for Black Friday and they all only work with AT&T NEXT. Those savings just add up to making it cheaper than a contract.

You also aren't in a contract anymore so if you just randomly want to leave the carrier you can pay the phone off and do that.

n64coder

You're not locked into a contract.
You don't have to upgrade your phone every 24 months or leave money on the table.
You have a better feel for the true cost of the phone.
You can save money by holding onto an existing phone for a longer period before upgrading.

Those are some of the benefits that I can think of.

dLMN8R

Unless things have changed in the last year, AT&T Next is perfectly fine as long as you're OK with the off-contract price they're charging in the first place.

AT&T Next is simply a no-interest installment plan. You're paying the exact same amount over time as you'd pay up front. You can optionally pay it off entirely whenever you want if you want to own the device outright and sell it yourself. Or you can wait the 12/18 months and just trade in the device, potentially getting more value out of it than you could if you sold it after the same amount of time.

Also, by doing AT&T Next instead of a 2-year contract, you're getting a major discount on the line cost making it $15/month instead of $40/month. Ed Bott did the math here a year ago:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199/

mm04

So help me make the right decision here. I'm on an old ATT plan and have been out of contract for months. Should I just outright buy an unlocked phone from Microsoft?

joshschw

So help me make the right decision here. I'm on an old ATT plan and have been out of contract for months. Should I just outright buy an unlocked phone from Microsoft?

What are you paying? Check if they haven't lowered rates on the same plan btw!

I pay $25 for 2GB shared w/rollover
$40 per line. minus$15 per line because it's out of contract.
So really $25 per line + $25 for 2GB data.
and ~$10 in taxes

$80/month for two phone approx.

if I get a 950 it will be a used one a few months down the line I think.

I'm on my parents plan with AT&T. Currently paying $50 a month for Unlimited Talk/Text and 300Mb's of data with subsidized contract upgrades. Once my contract runs out in May I'm sprinting towards my own plan with either MetroPCS or Cricket.

Nation 450 w/rollover $39.99 + 2gb data $25
Yeah we're on a plan like that too. Those older plans don't get any discounts if you go contract-free so if you don't mind going into a two-year contract you may as well use it.

NeOak

What are you paying? Check if they haven't lowered rates on the same plan btw!

I pay $25 for 2GB shared w/rollover
$40 per line. minus$15 per line because it's out of contract.
So really $25 per line + $25 for 2GB data.
and ~$10 in taxes

$80/month for two phone approx.

if I get a 950 it will be a used one a few months down the line I think.

Ouch ouch ouch D:

Nation 450 w/rollover $39.99 + 2gb data $25
God damn :(

nillapuddin

gMEvx31.png

fuck my life man

so if I went NEXT

Id get $50 off of the phones, but the NEXT payments would be $50

Don't_forget_you're_here_forever.jpg

What if I really want 950s for the GF and I, but want to bail in April, Id have to pay the remainder of the full retail of the phone to own it, I cant just give it back to them (assuming great condition) and we just walk our separate ways?

gMEvx31.png

fuck my life man

so if I went NEXT

What if I really want 950s for the GF and I, but want to bail in April, Id have to pay the remainder of the full retail of the phone to own it, I cant just give it back to them (assuming great condition) and we just walk our separate ways?
Actually you'd get $30 off the phone lines. The AT&T NEXT/No Contract discount is $15 per line for plans under 15GB's or $25 per line for plans 15GB's or over.

Running the numbers in my head if we took your current plan but you went AT&T NEXT with Lumia 950's instead you'd pay $20 more over the course of 30 months and you'd also have to wait 6 months longer to upgrade.

Seriously. Can I even do better?

It's 2 lines for $80, and I have no issues with data.

I definitely want to know if I can!!
If those numbers add up you pay $85 for two lines with (I assume) Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB of shared data. You can do better depending if you care about switching carriers.

Cricket Wireless (Owned by AT&T) Offers Two Lines for $70 with taxes and fees included. That includes unlimited Talk/Text and each line gets 2.5GB's of high-speed data after of which you're throttled to unlimited data at 128Kbps speed. The downsides to Cricket are that their CS is pretty crappy and their data speeds are limited to 8Mbps (Which is still fine for most uses).

MetroPCS (Owned by T-Mobile) Offers the same Two Lines at $70 with taxes and fees included. They give unlimited Talk/Text and each line gets 2GB's of data after which you get throttled to unlimited low-speed data. MetroPCS has lower data than Cricket, but they also offer T-Mobile's Music Freedom so you can stream music on your phone without it going towards your data usage.

NeOak

gMEvx31.png

fuck my life man

so if I went NEXT

Don't_forget_you're_here_forever.jpg

Is T-Mobile an option? They pay the ETFs.

Seriously. Can I even do better?

It's 2 lines for $80, and I have no issues with data.

I definitely want to know if I can!!

I don't know. Maybe.

Actually you'd get $30 off the phone lines. The AT&T NEXT/No Contract discount is $15 per line for plans under 15GB's or $25 per line for plans 15GB's or over.

Running the numbers in my head if we took your current plan but you went AT&T NEXT with Lumia 950's instead you'd pay $20 more over the course of 30 months and you'd also have to wait 6 months longer to upgrade.

If those numbers add up you pay $85 for two lines with (I assume) Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB of shared data. You can do better depending if you care about switching carriers.

Cricket Wireless (Owned by AT&T) Offers Two Lines for $70 with taxes and fees included. That includes unlimited Talk/Text and each line gets 2.5GB's of high-speed data after of which you're throttled to unlimited data at 128Kbps speed. The downsides to Cricket are that their CS is pretty crappy and their data speeds are limited to 8Mbps (Which is still fine for most uses).

MetroPCS (Owned by T-Mobile) Offers the same Two Lines at $70 with taxes and fees included. They give unlimited Talk/Text and each line gets 2GB's of data after which you get throttled to unlimited low-speed data. MetroPCS has lower data than Cricket, but they also offer T-Mobile's Music Freedom so you can stream music on your phone without it going towards your data usage.

No, that promo plan has $15 smartphones with NEXT. It was available for a limited time only.

joshschw

Don't want tmobile even for free. Know enough people on it and I can't even hear them on the phone. what's the point?? Haha

I actually only pay $80 because of EDU discount.
I would consider cricket. Its not a ton of money, but $100/yr is $100.
Thanks!

Milchjon

Got a random SIM card error on my 920. Assume that it's one the phone's end.
Anyone ever deal with this?

Would love to replace it with a decent phone, alas, the finances. Might end up with a 640.

Top Bottom