• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kendrid

Banned
Does anyone use the 520 on T-mobile prepaid? I have a Samsung Galaxy S1 that is old and slow and I want to upgrade to a Windows phone. T-mobile has the 521 but it's almost two times as much money as the 520. From what I have read the 520 is lacking 1 band for high speed data on T-mobile's network but I don't have a data plan so that doesn't bother me. I have not found anyone though that actually uses the 520 on T-mobile.

Thanks

My son's 520 did this. But before he noticed he took two days worth of holiday photos.mis there a way to edit the date taken to the correct one?

I don't know if you can do it on the phone, but you can edit the date on a Windows desktop by right-clicking on a photo, choosing Properties > Details and changing it there.

JaggedSac

Well, yes. Mostly because it doesn't have a hideous color gradient. I'm not happy about the search bar or Google's icons, but the iOS icons really look like shit. And at least I have the option to use a different launcher or icon set on Android.

e:

Here's my home screen.

KJaemhq.png

Could be worse!

Nice phallic background.

Treo360

Does anyone use the 520 on T-mobile prepaid? I have a Samsung Galaxy S1 that is old and slow and I want to upgrade to a Windows phone. T-mobile has the 521 but it's almost two times as much money as the 520. From what I have read the 520 is lacking 1 band for high speed data on T-mobile's network but I don't have a data plan so that doesn't bother me. I have not found anyone though that actually uses the 520 on T-mobile.

Thanks

You'll be stuck on edge I believe. Other than that voice should be okay. I have a 521 that I had used as a back up if you want to throw a price at it.

Well, yes. Mostly because it doesn't have a hideous color gradient. I'm not happy about the search bar or Google's icons, but the iOS icons really look like shit. And at least I have the option to use a different launcher or icon set on Android.

Best I can get to look like Metro on mine and Android is only less hideous because of custom launcher. Thank heaven (or cyanogen) for option to remove all the search bars.

New rumor claims Lumia 830 could have three US models, each with different specs http://www.wpcentral.com/new-rumor-claims-lumia-830-could-have-three-models-each-different-specs

A guy at Microsoft store mentioned this to me last night...but I didn't take it seriously. Also something about Icon should loose exclusivity in the US soon but AT&T is hesitant about picking it up. I told him they should do Microsoft Signature phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't find a layout I'm happy with , although sense overall is very restrained and generally attractive.

Screenshot_2014-08-13-11-53-18_zps1tc5zgkx.png

How does this phone hold up today, speedwise? Is the camera competent? I'm currently on a Nexus 4 so I'm mostly concerned how it compares to that.

It's a $40 phone, you can't directly compare that to n4. It has a lower res screen, for one. The n4 is a mid range phone and the 520 is low range. It performs better than any phone in its price range, but not necessarily with phones on the higher price ranges. The camera is no exception, although I know that the n4 had a comically bad camera, it may still be better than the shooter on the 520. Also, no FFC.

This reminds me of people who use a $300 laptop, then buy a $1200 Mac book and can't believe how much better the experience is on the machine that's four times as expensive. You would be doing the opposite, and I imagine you'd be disappointed at the experience.

It's a $40 phone, you can't directly compare that to n4. It has a lower res screen, for one. The n4 is a mid range phone and the 520 is low range. It performs better than any phone in its price range, but not necessarily with phones on the higher price ranges. The camera is no exception, although I know that the n4 had a comically bad camera, it may still be better than the shooter on the 520. Also, no FFC.

This reminds me of people who use a $300 laptop, then buy a $1200 Mac book and can't believe how much better the experience is on the machine that's four times as expensive. You would be doing the opposite, and I imagine you'd be disappointed at the experience.

I'm not expecting it to compare to the Nexus 4. I asked about the camera because the camera on my N4 is indeed comically bad and if the 520's camera was at least comparable to that then I'd be satisfied.

I realize it's a budget phone, I'm just tired of dealing with poor battery life on my N4 and want to get this to tide me over until the next wave of Windows Phones come out. :)

I don't know. I thnk ios 8 could make things interesting. Third party keyboards (I hate my iPad keyboard, can't wait for swype etc), and widgets could be very interesting once the ios devs get to work with them

They would really have to strive to give it that "personal" feeling. I think Rim OS had that when they ruled. Never got that from iOS or Android, and I've had several phones...

How does this phone hold up today, speedwise? Is the camera competent? I'm currently on a Nexus 4 so I'm mostly concerned how it compares to that.

I'm really itching to switch to WP but don't want to buy a high end phone since it seems most are due for a refresh.

It's 40 bucks so don't expect much but it should perform much better than similarly price Android phone. If you could afford it I would go with the 630 at $99.

It's 40 bucks so don't expect much but it should perform much better than similarly price Android phone. If you could afford it I would go with the 630 at $99.

What does the 630 have over the 520? Just looks like faster clock speed unless I'm missing something.

Also, I can use this on AT&T even if I'm not GoPhone right?

In Germany Lumia 520 is about 132 dollars.. why don't we get the good deals?
Would be the perfect phone for my mom, who is currently on the shittiest Samsung galaxy y or something.

On another note:

Anyone tried the Nokia md-12 mobile speaker? Its pretty cheap and its a Nokia product and it seems that the color matches my 930 - I am intrigued.

But there are basically no reviews out there

RayStorm

Would be the perfect phone for my mom, who is currently on the shittiest Samsung galaxy y or something.

I'm in the same boat as you. I assume it's due to the vastly different American cell phone/provider situation. At least if I figure the results of searching Amazon.com for the Lumia 520 right where a truly unlocked 520 goes for above 100 USD as well. The cheaper offers appear locked to certain providers.

maeh2k

On another note:

Anyone tried the Nokia md-12 mobile speaker? Its pretty cheap and its a Nokia product and it seems that the color matches my 930 - I am intrigued.

The 520 is currently overpriced in Germany, seeing how you can almost get a 630/635 at that price.

Anarkin

I'm now a Lumia 1520 owner and it's really great. But I hear a hissing sound when I open the Nokia Camera. It's also there when I play a track in Spotify and turn down the volume to 0. Is it a known Win 8.1 bug or a defect? It's quiet when I open the standard camera.

On another note:

I drove to Microsoft Store last night to buy one but they don't have it so I might go to the full size store tomorrow. I heard it's decent.

KageMaru

I've been having some odd issues with my Icon lately. A couple days ago the apps + media bar didn't control the volume of the video I was watching, my notifications volume did. My phone restarted on its own yesterday and later wouldn't recognize when I had it plugged in to charge. Just now the headset volume remained the same even after turning it all the way down.

Hopefully I run into less issues when I get the cyan update.

Treo360

1520.3 cyan, 8.1.1

Today the phone has been acting all weird, whether it was IE "fluttering" the zoom function (made me dizzy) on it's own, or the phone launching Cortana without me hitting the search key.

I cleaned the screen thinking that was the case, maybe some dirt build up, but no. I also restarted the phone a couple of times. I also lowered the sensitivity setting for the display. It seems fixed now. Cortana also launches randomly on my wife's att 1520 (8.1.1 no cyan)

hwalker84

1520.3 cyan, 8.1.1

Today the phone has been acting all weird, whether it was IE "fluttering" the zoom function (made me dizzy) on it's own, or the phone launching Cortana without me hitting the search key.

I cleaned the screen thinking that was the case, maybe some dirt build up, but no. I also restarted the phone a couple of times. I also lowered the sensitivity setting for the display. It seems fixed now. Cortana also launches randomly on my wife's att 1520 (8.1.1 no cyan)

Cortana did the same thing for me when the bottom of my screen was cracked.

Everdred

All y'all complaining about no new phones should just grow bigger hands and get yourself a 1520.
I've had one for about 4 months and I still dislike it. It's just too big for me and I have fairly large hands. It doesn't fit well in pockets and it's a bitch to use with one hand. 5.5" is the maximum for comfort, but i think 5" is perfect.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Alright, 630 owners. Help me decide.

Tell me how you feel about it. Worth the $60 over a 520?

Hard to recommend. It still has 512MB RAM. 1GB is standard now days to run every app. If you are upgrading from 520, look for 700 series or 800 series. Not sure how much extra you will have to spend though. Worth checking out though,

Hard to recommend. It still has 512MB RAM. 1GB is standard now days to run every app. If you are upgrading from 520, look for 700 series or 800 series. Not sure how much extra you will have to spend though. Worth checking out though,

Not upgrading, buying new on a budget. :)

I ordered a 520 from the Amazon deal of the day, but I'm thinking maybe I should just spend the extra and get the 630.

This is just a stopgap phone until new flagship phones come out. Currently on a Nexus 4 that can barely hold a charge.

Is it really standard for running apps? It seems odd that they would be selling these phones and marketing them so heavily if most apps won't support them.

*eidt* just realized I should be asking about the 635 as that's what's on AT&T.

I'd say it isn't worth the extra $60 for the 635 because it still only has 512mb of ram.
I play with it at the store and it feel much nicer than the 520. I think it also support 4G and have way better screen and camera. If you are going to use it just for texting and music I would get 520 but for daily use phone I think you will be better with 635. And it come with 8.1.

Top Bottom